pixeltracker

Bridges of Madison County Previews- Page 6

Bridges of Madison County Previews

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#125Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 1/30/14 at 12:29am

Saw it tonight. I thought the music was lush and gorgeous: I am looking forward to a cast recording. I thought Kelli O' Hara and Steven Pasquale give wonderful performances in spite of disliking them both in Far From Heaven.

I had misgivings about Ms. O'Hara pulling off an Italian Woman being so blonde haired and blue eyed....but I felt she succeeded and even reminded me of an Italian Friend of mine. She and Mr Pasquale were both in glorious voice. I even liked the staging of the cast doing the chores of pushing around the scenery and being omnipresent. Cass Morgan is a delight.

I have never seen the movie but the story seemed soap operaish. Despite of all the positives I just don't think this needed to be musicalized. And at 2 hours and 45 minutes yet? This saddens me to say because the work of Jason Robert Brown is impressive and delicious. I just don 't think this works as a musical.

I do not think this inherent problem of a soap opera romance is fixable because it lies underneath so much of the material. I was into their romance but not enough.

And the plot twists at the end came so fast that all I could say was WTF??? I won't give them away but more than anything else, I think this needs some addressing.

I've been wrong before but I predict mixed reviews.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#126Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 1/30/14 at 12:46am

What they need more than anything is a plot. There's no plot. There's really just a pull for O'hara's character. We see her family, we know they're returning, etc. But we don't know much about the man. We just know he's single and must return to NYC, but that's about it. I wish there was a pull in both directions for them, to add some drama to it. As it stands it's just a nice affair and then that's that.

promisespromises2 Profile Photo
promisespromises2
#127Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 1/31/14 at 8:32am

That's kind of the beauty of the book. They don't go too in depth about the man. The book is simple yet so powerful.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#128Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 1/31/14 at 8:38am

I interpreted the book differently - it's about a woman who justifies adultery and the thought of abandoning her family by calling it "love."

Which is what makes the book so perfectly "suburban" - your average suburbanite will tart his/her baser drives up in Hallmark sentimentality, because they can't cope with the idea that, deep down, they might actually be as "dirty" as those about whom they love to gossip.

The opposite of suburban would be bohemian (that is, true bohemia), where baser drives are embraced/accepted as being more valid than mainstream-defined high-flown ones.

And then there's a middle ground.

matineeidol2591
#129Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 1/31/14 at 9:32am

Caught the show once again last night-after the opening number, during "We'll be Home Before You Know It", somehow the cooler spilled leaving pieces of ice ALL over the stage floor. The actors all did their best to play it off and begin cleaning up the mess while still executing their blocking. At one point, one of the ensemble girls who sits in the chairs on the side of the stage watching the action, entered the scene with a dust pan and broom and began to sweep up the ice while the scene was going on around her. This was very awkward, but extremely funny. Eventually O'Hara took the dust pan and broom and by the end of the song the ice was finally cleaned up. Theres a point where Francesca is asked what she is going to do at home during the duration of her familys trip. O'Hara omitted the actual lyric and sang "I might spend 3 days cleaning up ice". Thunderous applause followed-it was all very very funny. There was also a bit later in the act where Robert asks if he can put his film in ice. O'Hara answered "Sorry, we're out". Again, everyone ate it up. She is truly a class act.

The show does feel tighter than it did 9 days ago-Act I is essentially the same. The song list has yet to be updated in the program, so I can't comment exactly on what has been cut, but I'll do my best to remember. Below are all the changes in Act II that I noticed. ***Possible spoilers below, I suppose??***

~Top of Act II, the State Fair scene seems shortened and tightened. Ensemble member Ephie Aardema's tap dance has been cut.

~When Marge brings the Lasagna to Francesca after Bud and the kids have returned, theres a new exchange between the two women where you think Francesca is about to go upstairs and tell Bud about the affair.

~Chiara's (Francesca's sister) song in Act II, 'He Forgave Me', has been cut. The whole bit where Carolyn is reading Chiara's letter to Francesca has been cut. There is now a scene in its place where Francesca tells Bud she feels like she has wasted her life, and that Bud is pushing her son Michael away.

~Francesca's phone call to the National Geographic to inquire about Robert has been cut.

~Before Roberts song "It All Fades Away", a line has been added alluding that Robert is in the hospital dying.

~The entire final 10 minutes of the piece feels more tightened and focused, I'm certain there are some small changes that I'm simply not recalling.

I would be happy to answer any specific questions as well.

I appreciate the score infinitely more after a second hearing, but on the other hand, I really noticed how poorly some of the lyrics are written this time around. I believe the scenes are blocked exceptionally well, and as much as I still dislike the constant moving set pieces, they are choreographed, executed, and integrated into the blocking quite nicely. I had three friends with me and we all pretty much agreed, there are some gorgeous parts of the show and there is much happening on the stage to admire, yet there is simply not enough momentum or stakes to elevate and heighten the whole piece, which in turn makes the evening fall ultimately flat. Still though, I enjoyed myself. I appreciate the piece and wish the best for it.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#130Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 1/31/14 at 1:01pm

^^^ Thanks for posting your thoughts. I saw the show on Tuesday, and I believe I saw most of the changes that you mention. I agree with you 100 percent that the stakes don't seem high enough to make the show that interesting or emotionally fulfilling. I don't feel I saw the true nature of Francesca's marriage, and so the affair didn't have the importance that the play intended to convey. The show didn't dig deep enough, for me.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#131Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/1/14 at 8:49am

Thanks Matineeidol for sharing your update! I love the story about the ice and wholeheartedly agree that Kelli is a class act.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#132Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/2/14 at 1:10am

I saw the show tonight and I thought it was mostly lovely. It is not, however, without its flaws, some of which are overarching, others which are isolated and fixable, but none that are so detrimental that they took away from the emotional impact of the piece.

Firstly, the score is lush and beautiful. It's so delicately interwoven into each sequence and needless to say it's sung to absolute perfection, particularly by the two leads. "To Build A Home," "Wondering," "Falling Into You," "Before & After/One Second & A Million Miles," and "It All Fades Away" are particularly stunning. Unfortunately though, the score is a bit one-note as the songs do have a similar sound. I think this is the show's major overarching problem. There are a few too many songs, scenes, and moments that feel very similar to the ones we just witnessed. And for some reason, Jason Robert Brown decided give a gorgeous 11:00 number to Robert, but Francesca doesn't get one...she doesn't even really get a big breakout number at any point. For the most part though, the score is restrained yet powerful, and features some impressive lyrical work.

The book is good, though as has been noted, there really isn't much plot to speak of. But we do get some very well-developed characters that we feel invested in, which is certainly nothing to scoff at. Though the story is simple, the book does a fine if entirely routine job of telling it. For the first 3/4 of the show, the book takes a more pensive, slow approach to the material and then somewhere after Bud and the kids return, it zooms through some crucial plot moments at breakneck speed. We really don't need the "When I'm Gone" number, which feels a bit awkward. The scene in the car after Bud and the kids come home is also bizarre and doesn't seem like it's a fully settled and situated sequence. Pacing is also an issue with the book, as there isn't much of a standard "plot," and instead just a simple yet touching love story, which can admittedly get monotonous and dull at moments, which I mentioned the score is guilty of doing here and there as well.

O'Hara and Pasquale are even better than I could have imagined they'd be. Their dynamic chemistry from FAR FROM HEAVEN has carried over to this show, and it's nice to see them playing characters who are actually in love this time around! I swear, O'Hara's voice sounds better and better every time I hear her sing. She nails the Italian accent and is completely believable in the role. And she looks gorgeous in that brown wig. Pasquale is every bit her equal. As I mentioned, his 11:00 number is a major highlight, and he too has never sounded better. He even gets a few bars to sing a capella and it's more stunning than you'd imagine. Hunter Foster and Derek Klena aren't as successful in their roles; Foster is giving another predictable performance and Klena, who I've liked in other shows, gives a new meaning to the word overacting.

Bart Sher's direction is strong, as usual, though I'm not quite sure I got the point of having the actors sit on the sides of the stage during most of the scenes. It's a fine directorial job, though it's nowhere near his best work. At times, there are a few too many moving pieces/people swirling around. The minimalist sets, beautiful costumes, and simple lighting are all noteworthy as well.

This is one of the more interesting musicals I've seen so far this season. Not all of it works, but when it does, it's pretty breathtaking and very moving. I'm interested to see what the critics think of it. I know it sounds like I had lots of issues with the show, and I did have some, but overall I thoroughly enjoyed it. To quote Roger Ebert's review of the film version, "It is easy to analyze the mechanism, but more difficult to explain why this film is so deeply moving." The exact same could be said of the musical.

Random sidenote: I think the show would benefit from a more intimate space. Even the relatively intimate Jacobs Theater seems a bit big for the show and the story. Updated On: 2/14/14 at 01:10 AM

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#133Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/2/14 at 8:00am

"But the biggest obstacle is her age. And she can't fix that."

Help me out here. O'Hara is in her late 30s. Streep was in her mid 40s when she did the movie. Is that somehow a significant difference?

How old is Francesca in the book?

promisespromises2 Profile Photo
promisespromises2
#134Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/2/14 at 8:26am

"How old is Francesca in the book?"

She was twenty five when she met her actual husband. I want to say she's around 45 when she meets Robert. I have the book open now, and it says "After twenty years of living the close life, a life of circumscribed behavior and hidden feelings demanded by a rural culture, Francesca Johnson surprised herself by saying, 'I'll be glad to show it to you, if you want.' (Referring to her showing Robert the bridges he needed to photograph).

I'm guessing the "twenty years of […] the close life" is meant to refer to her twenty years of marriage so far?
At the point of them meeting, her son is 17 and her daughter is 16. Sounds about right to me. The book describes both characters as aging (even mentioning Roberts graying hair several times).
Updated On: 2/2/14 at 08:26 AM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#135Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/2/14 at 6:47pm

Can someone please tell me the length of the production? I'm seeing it tomorrow and I was just curious. Thanks in advance.

Visceral_Fella
#136Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/3/14 at 2:01am

It's about 2 hours and 40 minutes with intermission.

Updated On: 2/3/14 at 02:01 AM

Sutton Ross
#137Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/3/14 at 11:52pm

I attended tonight's performance and it was just wonderful. The score is absolutely beautiful, and incredible memorable. People were humming it during intermission and exiting the theater. It will be a beautiful cast album. I loved Steven and Kelli in Far From Heaven, but this was on another level. Their chemistry is insane, people even gasped the first time they touched. Just magic. I can't imagine anyone else in those roles. They have also never looked more beautiful.

How is this Steven Pasquale's musical Broadway debut? He was meant to be on a Broadway stage and his voice deserves all the accolades in the world. People were blown away by great it was. Especially during "Before and After You/One Second & a Million Miles". The applause went on forever. Just incredible.

The sets, lighting, and sound were all excellent. Act two does drag, and the State Fair scene at the beginning of it seems out of place. Maybe they just wanted the ensemble to have something to do besides change scene pieces? I mean, it's pretty much the Robert and Francesca show, which is totally fine by me. I could watch them all day. Also, why were there actors sitting stone faced on both sides of the stage? It wasn't distracting, just very odd. People definitely wanted her to end up with Robert, and I think people were hoping for that and slightly disappointed with the ending. I never saw the movie or read the book (a lot of people were talking about how they didn't either at intermission), so I don't how true it is to either medium. Overall, it was really enjoyable and I hope it lasts a long time.

A couple of notes about tonight's performance:

Some ice fell and it was quickly cleaned up by Francesca. Is that supposed to happen?

The orchestra was completely full but I as looked up at the mezzanine, I saw only the first few rows were filled, there was absolutely no one in the back mezzanine. When Steven saw that at curtain call his face fell, and he looked really upset. He whispered to Kelli as they were leaving and she looked up there too, and just shrugged. Most shows don't play on a Monday so maybe people didn't realize it was playing. That, and the weather I guess.

Updated On: 2/4/14 at 11:52 PM

WiCkEDrOcKS
#138Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/4/14 at 1:10am

I was in the rear mezzanine on Saturday night and there were lots of empty seats. There were only three other people in the last two rows of the mezzanine on my side. The other side looked a bit fuller.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#139Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/4/14 at 1:43am

They had a scene where she called the magazine? I kind of wish they had kept that moment. As it stands now I feel like she just sort of gives up. And doesn't pursue him.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#140Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/4/14 at 2:02am

I edited my original post to add a few lines about the the score and the book. After thinking on it, I think the main overarching problem with the show is that the music and scene work have quite a few too many similar sounding, looking, and feeling moments. This can certainly cause monotony to set in at times and there are moments that definitely feel a bit dull and repetitive. Updated On: 2/4/14 at 02:02 AM

iluvtheatertrash
#141Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/4/14 at 8:57am

I think her age does play a significant part in the story. But moreso in the novel than in the musical. In the novel, we don't learn of her backstory with Paulo, so there's a nice touch of "first love so late in life" to it all.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

mamaleh
#142Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/4/14 at 12:49pm

I agree; I wish they had retained that scene, in which she calls National Geographic to ascertain Robert's whereabouts, but he has left its employ and they have no forwarding information. Even though she still wouldn't have found him, it showed the intensity and sincerity of their connection.

Updated On: 2/4/14 at 12:49 PM

Sutton Ross
#143Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/4/14 at 6:26pm

Yeah, I wonder why they cut that. That would at least show she was tried to contact him, and didn't just give up. I wonder if they're done making changes. Here's a video of them recording the best song in Act 2. Incredible.

One Second/A Million Miles Updated On: 2/4/14 at 06:26 PM

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#144Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/5/14 at 8:59pm

"How is this Steven Pasquale's musical Broadway debut?"

I saw Steven as Fab in Light in the Piazza when it originally ran in Seattle and thought he was very good--but I think he had to drop out before the Chicago (?) and then Broadway productions due to his commitment to Rescue Me.

Sutton Ross
#145Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/5/14 at 9:47pm

I remember him saying that in an interview, he was really upset that he couldn't go to Broadway with it. I'm just so surprised he has never been in a musical on Broadway, his voice is just so amazing. I hope it succeeds, but I looked at telecharge and there seems to be a ton of empty seats for the next few weeks Bridges of Madison County Previews

AntV
#146Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/5/14 at 11:27pm

If there are a lot of empty seats and the actors are upset seeing so many empty seats as mentioned in an earlier post, then they should give some comps to the comp sites. :)

CukorLover Profile Photo
CukorLover
#147Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/5/14 at 11:41pm

The show is on TDF all the time. It's actually up for tomorrow night through next Thursday, with the exception of Sat & Sun.

dtzumbrunnen Profile Photo
dtzumbrunnen
#148Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/6/14 at 8:04am

I've avoided this thread, waiting to see the show myself, but finally skimmed it this morning after seeing last night's show. Count me among those with no connection to the source material, other than remembering that my grandmother really loved the book.

There have been definite changes during the preview period. Last night we were on the sidewalk at 10:45, so there've definitely been lots of cuts.

This score is glorious, and Kelli and Steven's voices are fantastic vehicles for the product. There were multiple goosebump moments throughout the his It All Fades Away was so powerful and beautifully showed the longing he felt for all those years. I couldn't pick a song that Kelli performed best - she was exquisite every time she opened her mouth.

The one piece that surprised me was how quickly they handled the time after their 4 day love affair. We spent at least an hour and a half on that and then ZOOM in ten minutes we wrapped up at least ten more years, if not more.

This was by far the best Broadway Week deal I got - as the show is definitely worth full ticket price.

Ajlucia
#149Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/6/14 at 10:29am

I´ll go from Mexico, justo to see Steven Pasquale performance (Robert Kinkaid) ... I do not know Kelly O´hare, but I can see here that she is phenomenal!...
I´m a Steven huge fanatic ...

I have a question, is possible to know the actors or take pictures with they after the show?, do you have that option, extra cost? ....