Rocky Previews

AntV
#575Rocky Previews
Posted: 3/7/14 at 9:49am

Hmm, sounds like a good deal. Would actually prefer those side front orch seats over the golden circle lotto seats since those seem to miss some of the screens while sitting on the stage. Thanks.

PJPan
#576Rocky Previews
Posted: 3/7/14 at 9:51am

Lights ran pretty smoothly last night (only one or two minor tech bumps). Overall, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this show! The songs were a little forgettable in that so many of them sounded the same.

Karl is completely charming as Rocky and truly does make it his own. Siebert as well truly comes into her own and has some excellent moments. The excitement in the crowd was palpable during the training montages, and just the pure spectacle of the final fight was worth the ticket price alone. Truly something that I will never forget seeing on stage.

suttonfoster Profile Photo
suttonfoster
#577Rocky Previews
Posted: 3/8/14 at 12:34am

Saw this puppy tonight. Within the first ten minutes, the show stopped for about 10-15 minutes due to tech issues. The set pieces were pretty noisy toinght. I have mixed feelings for the show itself. The score is by far the weakest element. Andy Karl carries the show and is fantastic but still wondering why he doesn't have the final bow instead of sharing it with Margot.

BeNice Profile Photo
BeNice
#578Rocky Previews
Posted: 3/10/14 at 11:36pm

Just got home.

I don't even know what to say. Despite it's flaws (and there are many) I just love it and I was really expecting not to.

The last 20 minutes is just the most SPECTACULAR live theatre I have ever witnessed. I don't say this lightly. I've been working in Broadway for over 10 years now and been a patron for over 25. Live moments like these are why theatre exists. When all the elements come together, it is greater than anything any other medium can achieve. Genuine congrats to all involved in making it happen.

The problem that I saw was the incongruity between the young, new school visionary of Alex Timbers and the designers, and the old school, "traditional" musical theatre stylings of Meehan and Ahrens/Flaherty. It felt like when my 82 year old Grandma tried to use an iPhone.

I was shocked how weak the score was. If Andy Karl didn't commit so hard and so believably, making Rocky sing the way they wrote him could have bordered on comedic. Thank goodness they used "Eye of the Tiger" and a lot of the movie score. Alex Timbers really worked overtime to make this a success.

Andy Karl is so very likable, Margo Seibert is pitch perfect, and the supporting cast does a great job filling out the world of "Rocky." The crowd experience is truly an uncredited lead. It is a vital part to the whole "Rocky" experience.

This will stay open for a long time and I wish I had invested.

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#579Rocky Previews
Posted: 3/11/14 at 9:24am

"The last 20 minutes is just the most SPECTACULAR live theatre I have ever witnessed. I don't say this lightly."

BeNice I agree with you, I saw the show for a second time Friday, this time from the first row of the mezzanine and the combination of theatricality, acting, story and music again brought tears to my eyes and goose bumps to my arms. It is truly the definition of a coup de theatre. Sadly the music in that scene is from the film score. I found it even more saddening that the same team who wrote Ragtime, a similar anthem heavy show, wrote this. The ensemble numbers in Rocky are especially weak, a far cry from what has to be one of the best ensemble numbers of all time - the opening number of Ragtime.

This is definitely a show to second act and there are plenty of empty seats in the back corners of the orchestra and mezzanine if you can get in. The first act is plodding and dull and contains most of the new score. Andy Karl is doing a yeoman's job, and does his best to sell those songs but it is the songs that are burdening the character and softening up a role which should have a lot of jagged edges.

My friends ate it up and the crowd was ecstatic at curtain time. The power of the last scenes and the second act lead up to those scenes can not be denied. If they market this right it should be a great bridge and tunnel/tourist crowd show for many years. Touring logistics may be difficult if not expensive.

PS: The front mezz seats were spectacular for the finale but not so great for all the scenes that take place in the very detailed room sets that are literally trucked on. Being an intimate two person show more than 50% of the time, those scenes are played pretty far upstage because of the immense and wonderful on their own terms sets. Try to get tickets in the center and do not stray beyond seats 16 or 15 on the sides

Up In One

76trombones2
#580Rocky Previews
Posted: 3/11/14 at 9:45am

Thank you for all the great detail!

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#581Rocky Previews
Posted: 3/11/14 at 11:05am

Margo does a great job of singing her character. Reminded me of Marin's character evolution as Mother in Ragtime. Marin is not the same person when she sings BACK to BEFORE, as she was when she sang JOURNEY ON and you can hear the difference. Margo's Adrian has a similar character journey. Lots of tears in my row when she belts out her song in the Christmas tree scene with Rocky and Paulie.

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#582Rocky Previews
Posted: 3/11/14 at 11:39am

I don't necessarily think Rocky as a character can't sing. There's been a lot of talk about how dumb he is, with some people almost insinuating that Rocky Balboa is bordering on being mentally handicapped. He's not impaired, he's not a total idiot. he's just... Not a smart guy. He's a working class lug who doesn't run very deep, not Lenny from "Of Mice And Men."

Look at the characters in "Working" for a similar example. If they can sing, Rocky can sing. He has a personality, pride, feelings, ideas. They're not as erudite and ambitious as we expect from a standard theatrical character, but they are there, and they can work if written well enough and delivered well enough. The question is, are they done well enough here?

ARTc3
#583Rocky Previews
Posted: 3/11/14 at 12:53pm

I have a quick question... Have they replaced the second monitor drop that was broken early in the previews? For those who have seen this recently, are there two monitors that drop in and slide across the stage, or just one?

ARTc3 formerly ARTc. Actually been a poster since 2004. My name isn't Art. Drop the "3" and say the signature and you'll understand.

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#584Rocky Previews
Posted: 3/11/14 at 1:09pm

"I don't necessarily think Rocky as a character can't sing."

Hey darquegk, your right and I do question whether they are done right here. Too many inner monologues thru song for my taste and on top of that they aren't written in character as well as they should be. Rocky has a huge anthem and song of conviction at the end of the first act which does not land as grandly as it is written. I questioned whether it was the actor or the song. I came to the conclusion that it was both, by this point we had heard Rocky "sing from his heart" several times thru one bland number after another so we accepted the fact that he sings but we arent crazy about what hes singing so it all became a piece of the same muddied cloth. It also gives the Rocky character too much real estate in the script for a character who should be simpler and a man of little words. I didn't say simple, just simpler.

Up In One

wexy
#585Rocky Previews
Posted: 3/11/14 at 8:54pm

Going tomorrow afternoon. will report back with my 2 cents..

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'

ohjustjake
#586Rocky Previews
Posted: 3/12/14 at 9:10am

Saw this last night and there were two monitors that came in, one on either side. I don't remember them ever sliding across the stage though.

I surprisingly LOVED Rocky, but it's not a very good show. But that's probably why I loved it. I don't even think that makes sense.

The only thing I wish is that they had either gone completely serious, or camped it up. If the whole show was making fun of the material, then I would've been on board with the show right from the beginning. Unfortunately, it took me until the middle of the first act to start enjoying it. I mean... Rocky singing "My Nose Ain't Broke Yet" to his pet turtles..? If it was in the same style as "Silence", then I would've been laughing much harder.

But once the first act ended and the second began, I was completely having a blast. And I think that's all that matters from a show like this - it's pure entertainment. And the rest of the audience completely loved it as well, from what I could tell. And it's true, the last 15 minutes are some of the most exciting theatre I have ever experienced, and I would go see the show again just for the end.

I didn't notice any set/lighting mishaps last night. I spoke to a girl working at the merchandising booth about how they had been stopping the show a lot lately because of issues, and she said for the past couple of performances it's been going pretty smoothly.

CukorLover Profile Photo
CukorLover
#587Rocky Previews
Posted: 3/12/14 at 10:12am

ohjustjake….was it a full house last night? thinking of going to tkts tonight...

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#588Rocky Previews
Posted: 3/12/14 at 10:51am

It's on TDF for next Tuesday and Wednesday

Up In One

ARTc3
#589Rocky Previews
Posted: 3/12/14 at 12:52pm

ohjustjake, thanks for the monitor info. I'm pleased to read that they've replaced the broken monitor. Now wondering if they've given up having them track across the stage.

ARTc3 formerly ARTc. Actually been a poster since 2004. My name isn't Art. Drop the "3" and say the signature and you'll understand.

brdway411
#590Rocky Previews
Posted: 3/12/14 at 1:00pm

Rocky was on TDF a lot the last 2 weeks. Only 2 dates available now, next week

ohjustjake
#591Rocky Previews
Posted: 3/12/14 at 1:28pm

It looked like almost a full house. I was in row E, mess, seat 34 and 36 on the side and I could see almost everything fine. I think I only saw less than 10 seats empty.

I bought my tickets on TDF Monday evening for Tuesday evening. It's definitely a good deal, I'd think.

Okiekat Profile Photo
Okiekat
#592Rocky Previews
Posted: 3/12/14 at 7:40pm

Decided to grab a tdf ticket to the final preview tonight. I hope I like this show.

wexy
#593Rocky Previews
Posted: 3/12/14 at 7:50pm

Caught the afternoon show today. TDF row S orchestra.I really enjoyed it. No glitches. Could see everything. The music isn't great but the ending was awesome. suttonfoster, Andy did take a solo bow after his hug with Margo.

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#594Rocky Previews
Posted: 3/12/14 at 8:17pm

*Delete* Stupid question. Updated On: 3/12/14 at 08:17 PM

Trish2
#595Rocky Previews
Posted: 3/12/14 at 11:38pm

Just back from the last padded, preview performance, and I'm still scratching my head over WHAT was so thrilling about the last twenty minutes. So, the boxing rings comes out into the audience,the lights brighten, and they pump up the volume. From the raves on this board I was expecting some sort of Cirque du Soleil experience. Perhaps a completely revolving stage, with laser lights, and bit of ingenuity staging the fight sequences, etc. etc. etc.

Then again, after sitting through an hour and a half of sheer mediocrity, I guess the above would excite anyone.

Banal music, a weak supporting cast, a charismatic leading man, and the busiest sets are Broadway, do not make an exceptional night in the theater for me.

But don't tell that to the packed house who were orgasmic for it.

Different strokes.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#596Rocky Previews
Posted: 3/12/14 at 11:45pm

There are too many innuendos to count in that last post.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#597Rocky Previews
Posted: 3/12/14 at 11:48pm

I went again tonight and loved it. I never posted my thoughts, so heres a few from my phone. It is electrifying, nothing more, nothing less. I liked most of the score, including the opening and Adrian's duets. Siebert and Karl are stars and this is easily my favorite direction of the past decade. I sat front row side orchestra and found myself constantly staring at the set. That ring is terrifying as it hovers over the stage. A definite crowd pleaser and rightfully so. I'll try and come back tomorrow to type a more coherent review!

oasisjeff
#598Rocky Previews
Posted: 3/12/14 at 11:56pm

FInal preview went flawlessly. The show is down to its, err, "fighting weight" now, running about 2 hours, 20 minutes. I read some of the initial preview reviews, and can't see anything big or obvious that was cut.

I watched the movie last night, and it is pretty remarkable how closely the story line/scenes/dialogue is nearly identical. It is a small story with a big setting, so that is a delicate balance, but I thought it was handled well.

As I'm not a huge fan of the movie, it did seem odd how much people applaud for egg drinking, beef hitting, and stair climbing, but I guess a 38-year-old movie that is still a cultural touchstone is allowed to have some iconography.

I've rarely ever left a theater with songs in my head, so I can't say whether the score is great or not. I don't recall ever thinking, why is this a song?! One could argue why it's a musical, but that seems like needless folly with people singing onstage. We're the audience at this point, not an early focus group.

I was seated in the Golden Circle, and quickly found out how the lottery people could be seated in the first two rows, when I had purchased first row tickets way back on day one. Row A is the first row onsale online, but the third row in the orchestra, so that solves that.

As one of the cattle being herded onto the stage, I can't speak to how that time is accounted for for people sitting elsewhere. And people wondering about side orchestra having to stand, the cast was actively encouraging the first few rows of the aide orchestras to stand up. So, if you want to stand, you'll have no problem with the cast goading you on.... if you want to sit, oh well...

I don't feel I missed anything during the fight, but do understand people's concern. The people calling the fight are suspended above the ring, and Adrian comes out once above the stage, too. During the fight itself, people have said you'd miss stuff in Golden Circle, and I didn't understand why. Now I see that many of the scenes between rounds, when Rocky and Apollo are in their respective corners, those are being shown live on the monitors. So, it's not that they are facing away from the Golden Circle or anything like that, just that the scenes aren't played to the house at all, but to the cameras. That said, it doesn't seem like it would take much to hang a monitor on the back of the thing the sportscasters are standing on, unless the issue is a monitor throwing undesired light.

But, honestly, I felt I followed the whole thing perfectly without the monitors. Then again, I have a natural aversion to monitors at live events, I'll always look at the band live and smaller than them close-up on the monitors, thinking I didn't come here to watch TV.

The show is definitely a crowd pleaser, and the cast and creative have certainly put a ton of work into bringing this classic to a new medium. I'd be rather amused if best choreography this year went to a fight scene, but also think it was well earned.

It's not a deep show. It's not a challenging show. But it's fun, exciting, and leaves the audience smiling and saying they had a great night out. Can't fault anyone for wanting that (I'd just not want a steady diet of only that).

Now t/d/b/a haterobics on here.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#599Rocky Previews
Posted: 3/13/14 at 12:21am

I was also at the last preview tonight. I absolutely loved it. The book and score are not the strongest, but they work very well for the show. I was in the last row of the mezzanine, and it was the perfect view. I would definitely recommend sitting up higher for this because there is so much to see.

Andy Karl blew me away. This role is so physically demanding, but he performs the part perfectly. Out of what I have seen so far this season, he would easily have my vote if I were a Tony voter. Margo Siebert was also great, and her act 2 song, I'm Done, got thunderous applause that lasted a good while. The chemistry between both of them was great.

The set. Wow. This set is a feast for the eyes. The amount of detail included is amazing, especially for the pet shop, Rocky's apartment, and Pauley's house. The meat locker set was also very well done. Everything in the set design looks so real. Last night thought Bullets Over Broadway had an elaborate set, but this set is something else. I also loved how the boxing ring was used as the ceiling for some scenes and even flipped down with the floor of the ring facing the audience to serve as a projection screen.

As other have mentioned, the last fifteen minutes of this are so exciting and thrilling. They seemed to get everyone up onstage quickly tonight. I loved how they had lights all over the theatre. I was in the last row of the mezzanine, and they even had lights on the back wall of the theatre. The design at this point really immerses the audience in the excitement of the match. The transformation into the boxing arena was easily one of the most exciting and technically wonderful things I have witnessed in a Broadway Theatre.

I would definitely recommend this. It is such a fun show, and I was thoroughly entertained the entire time. I am curious to read the review tomorrow night.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "