Rocky Previews

bstoll1
#151Rocky Previews
Posted: 2/14/14 at 12:04pm

tobiasragg - I'm glad you got a ticket. I'm looking forward to the show after the great reviews from last nights first preview! After I'm heading to a singles party to maybe find true love.

How long was last nights performance? 2HR 30min? More? Less? Thanks.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#152Rocky Previews
Posted: 2/14/14 at 12:05pm

It got out at 10:45, but started at 8:08ish and intermission ran a little long. Also, Stallone's speech was several minutes. I imagine it'll be getting out closer to 10:30ish as it goes on.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 2/14/14 at 12:05 PM

eperkins Profile Photo
eperkins
#153Rocky Previews
Posted: 2/14/14 at 12:13pm

It will be interesting to see if the high of last night's first preview carries through performance #2.

bstoll1
#154Rocky Previews
Posted: 2/14/14 at 12:15pm

Thanks Kad.

fallingawake Profile Photo
fallingawake
#155Rocky Previews
Posted: 2/14/14 at 12:56pm

Just grabbed a TDF ticket for next friday night, I'm pretty excited based on what I'm hearing from last night's show!

sing_dance_love Profile Photo
sing_dance_love
#156Rocky Previews
Posted: 2/14/14 at 1:50pm

Does anyone know anything about how lotto went yesterday? Were there a lot of people? Thinking of trying it tonight.

"...and in a bed."

Famebroadway2 Profile Photo
Famebroadway2
#157Rocky Previews
Posted: 2/14/14 at 1:53pm

Thanks for the post. I got 2 tickets for tonight. I had TDF fix for last night, but i wasn't able to make it and they wouldn't past date for today.. Oh well. I guess i just donated $94.00 to Rocky.

Where were the TDF seats last night?

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#158Rocky Previews
Posted: 2/14/14 at 1:56pm

I've never sat upstairs in the Winter Garden, but because I've heard good things about the view in this thread, I bought 3rd row center mezz for next Thursday. I'm sure I may sacrifice beefcake proximity, but I'm excited to take the rest of it in.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#159Rocky Previews
Posted: 2/14/14 at 2:09pm

Heard there was a good bunch of people last night...around 100. And with only 20 tickets, slim chances of winning.

bstoll1
#160Rocky Previews
Posted: 2/14/14 at 2:23pm

VotePerson: If you're wanting to see the show and don't want to take your chances at the lottery my suggestion would be to pay the extra $10 or so and get tickets through TDF.org.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#161Rocky Previews
Posted: 2/14/14 at 2:35pm

"If you took away the final moments, this show would be getting ripped to shreds on here by mostly everyone."

That's a wild guess. I was already raving about it my intermission, and if anything, I think the staging of the last 20 minutes, while exciting, lacks clarity. Ahrens and Flaherty pulled off something really special with this score, giving voice to characters who are most notable for not being the most articulate of individuals. Their songs are this simple and straightforward, and yes, some of the lyrics contain cliches and bit of silliness, but only in so much as they're very true to who these people are and where they come from.

I hope other people love the show as much as I did. I'll for sure be making a return trip to see it when it's in even tighter shape. Looking over the song list, I don't see any duds. "Philly Pie" is a harmless bit of fluff but adds context to Adrian's world. Mickey's song is probably the most inauspicious, but even that I didn't dislike. Other than those two, I'm really fond of the score on first listen with "One of Us," "I'm Done," and "Fight from the Heart" standing out as high points.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#162Rocky Previews
Posted: 2/14/14 at 2:38pm

Technically speaking, is the physical design of the show as elaborate as say Spider-Man?

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#163Rocky Previews
Posted: 2/14/14 at 2:45pm

"That's a wild guess. I was already raving about it my intermission, and if anything, I think the staging of the last 20 minutes, while exciting, lacks clarity."

I agree with you on that (I guess we're of totally like minds on this show). The ending moment especially- it wasn't totally clear that Apollo "won" and Rocky chose Adrian over any sort of physical victory.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

wicked4l
#164Rocky Previews
Posted: 2/14/14 at 2:47pm

^^^ Totally agree, I was onstage and I had no clue what happened at the end. It wasn't clear at all.

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#165Rocky Previews
Posted: 2/14/14 at 3:07pm

^ I was Mid Maz and had no issue with either point. ***SPOILER***?

The screens above the ring said (something to the effect...) that Apollo Wins! As for choosing Adrian over a victory, was that part of the film? At blackout, it just seemed clear that the pair were together...which I thought was how the film ended.

amoni Profile Photo
amoni
#166Rocky Previews
Posted: 2/14/14 at 3:10pm

"Stallone's speech was several minutes"

Several minutes if you have ADD. He was on stage for a minute and half including cheers.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/videoplay.php?colid=682085#.Uv54N8uYbb1

ahhrealmonsters
#167Rocky Previews
Posted: 2/14/14 at 3:15pm

Snagged a TDF seat for tonight. See you there! I've heard great things.

Liza's Headband
#168Rocky Previews
Posted: 2/14/14 at 3:23pm

"Ahrens and Flaherty pulled off something really special with this score, giving voice to characters who are most notable for not being the most articulate of individuals. "

Wow. We'll definitely agree to disagree. As a huge Ahrens & Flaherty fan since their first collaborations, I found this score to be very disappointing and incredibly mediocre. With the exception of a couple standouts in the second act, I thought the score just brought everything down. The book was not too great, either. It's clear to me that regardless of "clarity," the creative team (and producers) were banking on that final sequence to overpower any negativity and end the experience on a high note.

eperkins Profile Photo
eperkins
#169Rocky Previews
Posted: 2/14/14 at 3:52pm

I had a TDF ticket last night. I was in T21 which was three rows from the back on the house left side, ten seats in (left) from the aisle. Surprisingly, I had a pretty good view, and can't complain, especially for the price. I wouldn't want to sit farther to the side though.

Updated On: 2/14/14 at 03:52 PM

Rainbowhigh23
#170Rocky Previews
Posted: 2/14/14 at 3:54pm

Seeing this on the 18th! Do they play Gonna Fly Now at all or only Eye of the Tiger?

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#171Rocky Previews
Posted: 2/14/14 at 3:55pm

Is this show good or not?! I simply can't tell from these comments.

The concensus I'm getting is that it is awesome, unless when it is not, which seems to be all of it?

I demand a clear answer!

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#172Rocky Previews
Posted: 2/14/14 at 3:55pm

Rocky Previews

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Updated On: 2/14/14 at 03:55 PM

eperkins Profile Photo
eperkins
#173Rocky Previews
Posted: 2/14/14 at 4:07pm

I agree with you on that (I guess we're of totally like minds on this show). The ending moment especially- it wasn't totally clear that Apollo "won" and Rocky chose Adrian over any sort of physical victory.

POSSIBLE ADDITIONAL SPOILER: Apollo won only on points, as Rocky made it to the last round, which he had previously stated was his goal. He knew he had no hope of winning. But it was a bit confusing if you weren't looking at the monitors that Apollo actually did win at the end. Rocky was a winner in the sense that #1 He went the distance (which had never happened to Apollo before) and #2 He got the girl. Well, he already had her, really. Rocky didn't choose Adrian over winning.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#174Rocky Previews
Posted: 2/14/14 at 4:11pm

"Several minutes if you have ADD. He was on stage for a minute and half including cheers. "

No need to be bitchy. I didn't have a video player telling me how long he was standing there. It legitimately felt longer.

eperkins Profile Photo
eperkins
#175Rocky Previews
Posted: 2/14/14 at 4:14pm

I'm with Kad. I was there and it did seem like Sly was onstage for more than a minute and a half. Nobody in the audience whipped out a stopwatch, I'm sure.