If/Then Previews

After Eight
#150If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/7/14 at 7:39am

Sedaris,

Thank you for your perspicacious observations on this show. Your points are very well taken and articulated. However, as witness some of the responses you received (expectedly), I would say you chose the wrong venue in which to express them.

You see, you don't criticize elitism to a bunch of elitists,, or praise ideals such as pleasantness, kindness and selflessness to those who revile such notions

But I commend you, and wholly agree with you, except for one thing: the score was as lousy as the rest of the show. I particularly hated a sour and nasty song about a wedding. No doubt it was received enthusiastically by those who get their jollies at shows like Company.

Updated On: 3/7/14 at 07:39 AM

walkedthroughmany Profile Photo
walkedthroughmany
#151If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/7/14 at 8:32am

mschwager: Yes! I didn't mean to make it sound like it was a completely new song -- that melody is absolutely still there. The lyrics and staging (again, from what I remember) are entirely new, and now set up the Liz/Beth tracks in a very clear but still very poetic way. But the "If I Told You" segment has definitely vanished.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#152If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/7/14 at 8:33am

No! They cut The Story of Jane?! I see why they did, but this was one of the best LaChanze moments in the show!

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#153If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/7/14 at 9:39am

Since the composer doesn't like to put a song list in the Playbill, was the Story of Jane the song LaChanze sang on the subway or in the classroom? Thanks.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#154If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/7/14 at 9:39am

"No! They cut The Story of Jane?! I see why they did, but this was one of the best LaChanze moments in the show!"

And one of the absolutely most distracting and unnecessary moments. Just because she sang it well doesn't mean it had any business being in there.

Anyway.

I can't wait to see this! Going 3/29 and 3/30.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#155If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/7/14 at 9:44am

Since the composer doesn't like to put a song list in the Playbill, was the Story of Jane the song LaChanze sang on the subway or in the classroom? Thanks.

The one in the classroom.

DottieD'Luscia
#156If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/7/14 at 9:45am

Thank you! I can understand wanting to give LaChanze a song, because, well, she is LaChanze. But, I agree with the cut. It didn't serve a purpose. I really didn't like her song on the subway either.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

neonlightsxo
#157If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/7/14 at 9:49am

The song on the subway, which I believe is called "It's a Sign", probably could be cut, too. However, it does serve a purpose in setting up the theme of fate and chance.

mschwager Profile Photo
mschwager
#158If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/7/14 at 10:05am

@walkedthroughmany: THANK GOD. Haha. It makes sense "If I Told You" disappeared. It was pretty but like completely unnecessary to the show. I'm seeing it again next weekend (after twice in DC). I'm really excited to see the changes.

While I love the staging and music of "The Moment Explodes," I was kinda hoping the sequence was cut.

DottieD'Luscia
#159If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/7/14 at 10:16am

For those who have seen it in DC and NYC, has the opening number been changed? That was one number I really liked in DC.

FindingNamo
#160If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/7/14 at 10:36am

"or praise ideals such as pleasantness, kindness and selflessness to those who revile such notions"

Ideals are fine. So is perfection. Neither exists. And there isn't more of either in any one place over any other place.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#161If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/8/14 at 1:17am

I saw the show tonight, and am very indifferent about it. Idina, the music, and the cast were great, but theres was a lot more I was left wanting.

First off, I found the story (the first act, specifically), to be very confusing. I am usually very good at keeping up story lines, but this one lost me a few times. It felt like a chore to try and figure out what was going on. The first act definitely needs a lot of work.

Secondly, I think the set does a major disservice to the show. In it's attempt to be small and plain, it doesn't add to the telling of the story. The mirror was also super distracting, and I don't understand what the catwalk was for.

I know the set can't be changed, but hopefully the story can be. The second act is streamlined, easy to follow, and so much more enjoyable. ****SPOILER***** except for the plane crash(?)...wtf

It was also probably 80 degrees in the auditorium and the seats are super small, so that didn't add to the experience. I was in the 3rd row of the rear mezz, and while the sound was good, I felt very far away from the production. Couldn't see any facial expression/etc. The Mirror DID cut off some action taking place upstage, and most of the time left you staring at the backs of characters and the audience in the front orchestra.

indytallguy
#162If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/8/14 at 5:09am

The first act was much more problematic (and also ran too long) in DC and it sounds like that is the same situation here. It got so bored during it and became indifferent to some of the plot and characters that the much better second act had less impact than it would have following a more streamlined opening half.

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#163If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/8/14 at 9:30am

iWannaBEaSedaris, thanks for your very heartfelt comments. I haven't seen the show, and I am most definitely not an Idina worshipper, but you gave me a unique insight into what is clearly a very New York show (I am a NY native), and now I would be more interested in seeing it.

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#164If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/8/14 at 10:29am

i think Lachanze's songs like its a sign and the story of jane actually help clarify the show a lot!

Updated On: 3/8/14 at 10:29 AM

AngusN
#165If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/8/14 at 10:44am

So, how is Idina's acting performance? I've never been impressed by her acting ability. We all know she can sing the phone book, but has she finally learned how to be a convincing actress?
Is this the reason why she has never really made a successful crossover into movies?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#166If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/8/14 at 10:57am

The set to me looks like a community theater production of Next to Normal. Same basic idea. It worked fine in that show because it was like "stark inside of her mind" but here.... I dunno.

SporkGoddess
#167If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/8/14 at 11:02am

I remember a one-liner that went something like "There's a river in Nebraska?" which was truly not the least bit funny in itself -- it was only Idina's tone and facial expression that sold it.

That doesn't even make sense. Rivers aren't confined to big metropolitan areas.

Also, does the show really make fun of Portland? Everyone I talk to about Portland can't stop talking about how great it is. Maybe it's an east coast vs. west coast thing?

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

oasisjeff
#168If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/8/14 at 11:21am

"I was in the 3rd row of the rear mezz, and while the sound was good, I felt very far away from the production. Couldn't see any facial expression/etc."

That sounds like a normal experience from a rear mezz, no?

Now t/d/b/a haterobics on here.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#169If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/8/14 at 12:12pm

Rippedman, Have you seen the show or are you just looking at a picture of what the set first appears to be? I'll admit when I walked in the theater I thought the set was a N2N replica, but it's really not.

The bottom level is mostly empty throughout the show, and (spoiler?) what appears to be the middle "floor" level actually pulls back to reveal a mirror on the bottom that reflects the turntable out to the audience. It reminded me of that mirrored ceiling in the first scene of Women on the Verge that never showed up again. Here the mirrors stay throughout and it makes for some cool effects.

Spork, I think these creators have some inside joke against Portland. In N2N didn't Jen Damiano reveal than her parents had eloped to Portland? And then she scoffed at the idea of Portland?

In If/Then the comments are just used to establish the superiority of living in New York/The East Coast in the minds of the characters.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#170If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/8/14 at 1:35pm

It sounds like you will miss a lot from being in the rear mezzanine with this one in terms of the set? I have a ticket in pretty much the second to last row.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#171If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/8/14 at 1:40pm

Not in terms of the set. The large mirror, the trees on the upper back of the stage, and the most of the set pieces you will be able to see and appreciate just fine. But, it's the rear mezz, so you won't really be able to see facial expressions.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#172If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/8/14 at 1:56pm

I was in the second row of the center rear mezz and thought my seat was great. I mean it's hardly like the balcony at the Kerr or the Palace up there.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#173If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/8/14 at 1:56pm

^ thanks! And I don't mind missed facial expressions. I don't mind the balcony at the Palace, so I can't imagine this being a problem as long as I can see the set

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

binau Profile Photo
binau
#174If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/8/14 at 2:24pm

"So, how is Idina's acting performance? I've never been impressed by her acting ability. We all know she can sing the phone book, but has she finally learned how to be a convincing actress? "

Idina is actually really great in the show. Not to take anything away from her skills because I'm sure it is a skilful thing to do, maybe some would claim even more skilful, but her character is not "larger than life" in the slightest and she comes across as someone you might actually know in reality. So her performance involves portraying realistic emotions very sincerely that any normal person would, such as insecurity/anxiety, compassion, being charming, sadness/loss etc. It's probably difficult because with such a character the risk is that it might just come across as boring, but Idina has a magnetic personality and the role just really works for her. I was really pleasantly surprised at how natural she seemed.

I did not find the story telling confusing at all - those glasses although simple really make such a difference.

The premise for this musical is so just so awesome, and I just love the idea and think the execution in terms of transitioning the scenes work so well and is so clever. For example, when Idina goes to bed with one guy in one story and wakes up with another guy in the next story. The act one closing moment where both stories combine. Also, when Idina is singing "Learn to With Without" and it weaves both stories so that the song actually carries a different meaning for each story.

The supporting cast, particularly LaChanza and Anthony Rapp for me were also excellent. Someone described Rapp as "whiny" but his character was indeed whiny and needy (didn't they even sing a song about this? haha). It made the contrast with Josh so great, which is why scenes such as the Act One closing work so well.

I remember a very early concern someone posted when it was at DC (or perhaps before the show even started) was that the show would beat a cliché choose the family over work path. However, what I absolutely loved about the story and what I think is so satisfying is that it doesn't do this at all and it is not clear wether Liz or Beth was better off in the end. Liz had a wonderful marriage, children and might have been merely content with her career but then had to experience a great loss (with the potential to peak in her career and fall in love again in the future). Beth had a great sense of self-accomplishment and even though her interpersonal relationships sometimes bothered her and put her in difficult situations (*SPOILER* abortion), she was still happy with her personal life and found 'love' in other avenues (that great scene with Kate/Anne in the library). In the end, it is implied Beth will get with Josh but there of course will be other risks involved (e.g., Josh could still die, Beth might be too old to have children etc.). So there are pros/cons of both stories and it isn't clear which was the right path.

I actually think the writing of this musical is far more risky than NEXT TO NORMAL on many levels.

First, the whole premise reminds me of the backwards story telling in MERRILY. Something that audiences are not going to be used to, or find confusing (as a few have indicated in this thread).

Second, I think WiCkEDrOcKS is really spot on when he says that it is a more 'intimate' show than Next to Normal. The issues explored in If/Then are presented in a way that most people would encounter them in real life and there just isn't those peak of emotions or intense moments in If/Then like there are in Next to Normal. The risk here I think is that because it is rather 'normal' it could come across as boring. Indeed, the blurbs of the show are pretty boring to me I have to admit. I don't think the show actually is boring though because the story telling is just so clever.

Third, I think the score is not something most audiences will be used to. At the time the Next to Normal score seemed challenging but looking at it in hindsight compared to this show it seems more like a conventional musical in the sense that there are many book songs with dialogue in between. I don't know if I've ever seen a show with such a tightly integrated book and score as If/Then - dialogue constantly interrupts songs, and it's not only dialogue now but also story arcs too. It is interesting and making the music so seamless is propelling forward the idea that the purpose of music in musicals is to tell a story. But if you have certain expectation of what a musical should be it might seem a bit complex, or convoluted and make it difficult to remember the music. There were standout songs melodically for me though, for example After Eight you mention the "nasty and sour" song about a wedding (obviously like Company this show is not anti-marriage, the whole point is to contrast how happy Liz is getting married vs Beth not).

Regardless, the show has had a strong start at the box office. I speculate because of Idina and to a much lesser extent Anthony Rapp.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 3/8/14 at 02:24 PM