If/Then Stage door

Brian07663NJ
#50If/Then Stage door
Posted: 6/20/14 at 9:01am

I heard that she is strictly sticking to the "do not come out after a matinee" rule even for Sunday shows. She stays locked in the theater until the next performance even though that doesn't happen until Tuesday night!

ukpuppetboy Profile Photo
ukpuppetboy
#51If/Then Stage door
Posted: 6/20/14 at 9:17am

She actually has a second job cleaning the auditorium and restocking the mech stands. It's why she's the last one out of the door in the evenings too.. Hardest working woman on Broadway..

nolegrl88
#52If/Then Stage door
Posted: 6/21/14 at 2:40pm

What time does the Saturday evening show end? I'm going to the Matinee on 7/19, but would love to get Idina's autograph. I don't mind going back in the evening to catch her.

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#53If/Then Stage door
Posted: 6/21/14 at 7:48pm

Be there before 10:30 and you'll be fine.

Jufikar
#54If/Then Stage door
Posted: 6/22/14 at 5:59pm

Next Sunday, I'm seeing the show and planning to go to the stage door. Do you think there's any chance she'd come out? I'm willing to wait an extra hour or two just to see her.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#55If/Then Stage door
Posted: 6/22/14 at 6:00pm

Brian said... I heard that she is strictly sticking to the "do not come out after a matinee" rule even for Sunday shows. She stays locked in the theater until the next performance even though that doesn't happen until Tuesday night!

You really need to start taking people on this board more seriously.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#56If/Then Stage door
Posted: 6/22/14 at 6:12pm

Some people simply need to get a grip. They are acting like little children who throw a hissy fit if they do not get their way. The actors are flesh and blood people and not gods to be revered.

Hero worship is a little much and people need to realize the actors work on their schedule and it is not written in stone they have to come out and sign at a fans beck and call . If you want to see them that bad, pitch a tent outside the stage door and wait until they come in.

Poster Emeritus

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#57If/Then Stage door
Posted: 6/22/14 at 8:16pm

Hmmm - she seems to come out on Sundays, since there is only one show. She was out at the stage door today, and from what I can see, she seems pretty generous with her time after shows.

She does not come out between shows when she has both a matinee and evening performance. And, if you have seen the show, how much she is on stage, I think that is completely understandable.

I do know that one night she could not come to sign after a show on an evening performance, and she tweeted an apology (something about the sitter having to go).

But honestly, I think she is pretty generous with her time. She signs but does not take pictures with folks(she would never get out of there) - but you can take her picture while in line. I walked by when I was in NY after leaving another show, and it was still a mob scene waiting for Idina.

I believe the rest of the cast(who have much less time and effort on stage) come out after matinees on two-a-day shows.

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#58If/Then Stage door
Posted: 6/23/14 at 1:27am

"If you want to see them that bad, pitch a tent outside the stage door and wait until they come in."

Um yeah, don't do that. Don't wait for her while she's on her way into work. Asshole move...I'd be surprised if she stopped to talk to people who did that.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#59If/Then Stage door
Posted: 6/23/14 at 1:39am

"I believe the rest of the cast(who have much less time and effort on stage) come out after matinees on two-a-day shows."

I think it is less about how much effort the show is on them, and how quickly they can sign stuff and still go grab a meal. Idina doesn't seem to come out until an hour after the show even when she's done for the night, and then has hundreds of things to sign, so given the time turnaround, she could never realistically get out, sign, and make it back in under 2ish hours).

BroadwayGirl107 -> No need to tell people not to take Roxy's advice. No sane person would follow it. If/Then Stage door

BroadwayGirl107
#60If/Then Stage door
Posted: 6/23/14 at 1:59am

Well, I know no one's going to pitch a tent, but I'm more referring to waiting for her before the show at all.

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#61If/Then Stage door
Posted: 6/23/14 at 9:07am

"Don't wait for her while she's on her way into work. Asshole move...I'd be surprised if she stopped to talk to people who did that."

I've gotten there early to do the lottery a few times and there are almost always a few people waiting by the stage door ready to accost her when she gets out of the car. Sometimes she stops but most of the time she kinda tries to bolt in (because, ya know, she has a SHOW to do). Totally agree, such a jerk move.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#62If/Then Stage door
Posted: 6/23/14 at 9:15am

My tent remark was being sarcastic. I guarantee however some of the acolytes may actually try it. Hey if people are crazy enough to wait 5 hours or even overnight in the rain for a cronut or the newest I Pad, anything is possible.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 6/23/14 at 09:15 AM

Jufikar
#63If/Then Stage door
Posted: 6/24/14 at 7:12pm

Well, if she comes out on Sunday, then there's probably a good chance she'll come out when I see it. I still have a few more questions;
1. This is kinda stupid, but do most, if not, all, principles other than Idina, come out on Sundays (Basically LaChanze and Anthony,and anyone else)?
2. Does Idina take a long time to come out?
3. I have been hearing that the actors haven't been taking a long time to come out. Can anyone who has been to the stage door confirm this?

Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#64If/Then Stage door
Posted: 6/24/14 at 7:16pm

1. Yes
2. About 45 minutes
3. You'll often wait about 20 minutes until the first actor comes out (Jenn Coella came first when I was there) and the actors consistently came out

Wayman_Wong
#65If/Then Stage door
Posted: 6/24/14 at 7:37pm

I've stage-doored a couple of times, and there's no guarantee, but I agree with littleshopofcarrie. Jenn Colella, Jason Tam, Anthony Rapp, LaChanze and James Snyder all come out to sign. Everyone's friendly. (I haven't seen Jerry Dixon do this.) Idina is last to appear; she's probably got well-wishers and guests to meet backstage after each show. However, it is a mob scene, and unless you are next to the barricades, it's gonna be hard to see them. If you're going to the stage door after you catch the show, there might already be quite a crowd. I'd suggest going to the stage door on a day you're NOT seeing the show, about a half-hour before 'If/Then' comes down to get a prime spot.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#66If/Then Stage door
Posted: 6/24/14 at 8:16pm

Does Ryann Redmond come out to sign? I love her to death.

Jufikar
#67If/Then Stage door
Posted: 6/24/14 at 8:18pm

I have someone coming to the stage door to get me a spot, so I should have no problem getting in front of the barricade (I hope). Thank you all so much!

Updated On: 6/24/14 at 08:18 PM

Wayman_Wong
#68If/Then Stage door
Posted: 6/25/14 at 4:49pm

Ryann Redmond does come out to sign.

And the actors start signing at the barricade that's to the left of the stage door.

delongpre
#69If/Then Stage door
Posted: 6/25/14 at 11:19pm

I did the stage door with my daughter last night. It was mobbed by the time we got out of the theater. Jason Tam, James Snyder, LaChanze and Jenn Colella came out and sweetly obliged all requests for autographs and photos. My 14 year old daughter was thrilled to get to speak to all of them and tell them how the show has touched her.

My daughter has Asperger's autism and was freaked out by the crowd, especially when autograph sellers cut through the group with armfuls of Idina merch they wanted signed. Right before Idina came out, the security guards came to our end of the line and swung the barricade to close off the exit path, and about 20 people stormed the new wall, disregarding all the kids that had been waiting for an hour. Some were audience members from Les Mis next door, which had exhausted their cast by the time Idina exited. My daughter was pushed and pulled and had people waving phones over her head. They were almost throwing Playbills at Idina, yelling "SIGN! SIGN!" and my daughter started to cry hysterically. She was overwhelmed by the crowd and noise and she yelled that they needed to stop because it wasn't fair to Idina.
I agree. It was disgusting, and not a display of appreciation or affection or kindness. They were like animals. Incredibly disrespectful. Idina came to the end of the row and was immediately turned off by the crowd and she quickly signed a few things, then turned and walked away. My daughter was shaking and crying, now because she was embarrassed and didn't want Idina to think she was a part of that misbehavior (not that Idina was able to single anyone out, but my daughter didn't realize that.)
If I were Idina, I wouldn't feel safe doing stage door. I know it must end her evening with anxiety and a negative feeling instead of leaving her feeling good about her performance. There's absolutely no way to say two words to her because of the screaming, and she's moving so fast, presumably to get the hell out of that mess, that you can't have a moment to praise her performance. What does Idina get out of it besides a headache? Is it always that much of a nightmare? It's such an irony that the masses are so unruly because the show really leaves you with such a different feeling about life. All the "If/Then" moments get lost in that bedlam. Bottom line: if you're going there to "meet" Idina, don't bother. Give her a break.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#70If/Then Stage door
Posted: 6/25/14 at 11:30pm

That sounds like the stage door whenever a big name is in a show, unfortunately. You saw for yourself what it was like before Idina. At a show without a huge name, that is the experience the whole time. Add a name, and it devolves quickly.

In the future, you should probably check YouTube videos of the stage door in advance, so you can see what you're in for.

Beyond that, Idina can't ever stop and chat too much, since it's not really possible with that horde every night. But since she was in Rent and Wicked before this show, and both shows had very enthusiastic fans and stage doors, I wouldn't be too concerned about her. She has security there, and this is kind of just how her job ends every night.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#71If/Then Stage door
Posted: 6/25/14 at 11:30pm

The defense rests. The insanity continues.

Poster Emeritus

BroadwayGirl107
#72If/Then Stage door
Posted: 6/25/14 at 11:41pm

^I had friends who wanted to stage door for Idina one night after we saw the show, so I waited off to the side, far from the crowd and witnessed pretty much just what you described. One couldn't possibly "meet" Idina under the circumstances. It was just a crazy mob yelling and pushing, and Idina speeding through the crowd, signing whatever was shoved in her face, and then people running down the street after her car. It was like a boy band hysteria.

I really think Idina is just trying to give back. As insane as the crowd gets, I imagine she just tries to keep in mind that it might just be because people are really excited to "meet" her and she's doing what she can to appease them. As upsetting as it is, the level of insanity of her fan base is kind of what makes her such a bankable commodity.

Wayman_Wong
#73If/Then Stage door
Posted: 6/26/14 at 2:29am

I also think Idina is trying to give back, but there's no way to please everyone. I kinda wish she would sign only 'If/Then' Playbills, posters and CDs. The last time I was there, there were some autograph sellers with windowcards or stills from 'Frozen,' and I can only imagine those will wind up on Ebay. It seems wrong that the stage door can be cluttered by these people who don't care about the show, probably didn't see the show, and are only there to get something signed so it can be resold. I've been to some stage doors, where one side of the barricades is set aside for actual ticket holders of that evening's show and you're expected to produce your ticket so you can get in.

promisespromises2 Profile Photo
promisespromises2
#74If/Then Stage door
Posted: 6/26/14 at 3:11am

delongpre your story reminds me of when I saw Cheno at Carnegie Hall. I've never seen her live and had no idea what the stage door would be like after. Everything was fine and I was only 3-4 people deep UNTIL she came out and all chaos ensued. I was physically revolted by the way people were acting and literally just looked at my friend, turned around, and walked away. It's terrifying and extremely upsetting to see people act like that.