ALADDIN Reviews

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#50ALADDIN Reviews
Posted: 3/20/14 at 10:36pm

Isherwood is so much better than Brantley. I feel like it's an actual review I'm reading.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#51ALADDIN Reviews
Posted: 3/20/14 at 10:37pm

You're absolutely right - Brain fart!

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
Updated On: 3/20/14 at 10:37 PM

TheatreKid3
#52ALADDIN Reviews
Posted: 3/20/14 at 10:41pm

Disney has wasted no time in mining for pull quotes. The homepage of the show now features a new title banner:

"THE NEW DISNEY BLOCKBUSTER!" - The Associated Press

Let the campaign begin.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#53ALADDIN Reviews
Posted: 3/20/14 at 10:47pm

If anyone passes the theater anytime soon I'd love to know what quotes that pull for the theatre facade.

TheatreKid3
#54ALADDIN Reviews
Posted: 3/20/14 at 10:51pm

^ I can pretty much guarantee you the one listed above will be on EVERYTHING. lol

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#55ALADDIN Reviews
Posted: 3/20/14 at 10:54pm

considering that the reviews so far haven't been terrible, maybe Aladdin will actually have a decent run(3-4 years).

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#56ALADDIN Reviews
Posted: 3/20/14 at 10:57pm

I would be surprised if it ran any less than that. I am not a Disney fan at all, but ALADDIN doesn't seem like the disasters known as TARZAN and MERMAID.

Jonwo
#57ALADDIN Reviews
Posted: 3/20/14 at 11:01pm

'considering that the reviews so far haven't been terrible, maybe Aladdin will actually have a decent run(3-4 years).'

I agree, it seems to be selling well anyway but I wouldn't be surprised if it sees a small boost. I imagine by the time Aladdin peters out audience wise, Disney will have Frozen ready to take over the New Amsterdam.

I imagine Aladdin will likely have a life on tour and internationally although they'd have to find a way to make some elements work on tour.

Jonwo
#58ALADDIN Reviews
Posted: 3/20/14 at 11:01pm

ignore, double post. Updated On: 3/20/14 at 11:01 PM

PlayItAgain
#59ALADDIN Reviews
Posted: 3/20/14 at 11:04pm

New York Magazine is Mixed including " if you’re up for a meaningless fling, it might as well be with a pro."

New York Magazine

Hannahbelle
#60ALADDIN Reviews
Posted: 3/20/14 at 11:06pm

Isherwood's review is actually much more positive than I had expected. Didhelikeit.com is posting it as thumbs up.
NYTimes Review

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#61ALADDIN Reviews
Posted: 3/20/14 at 11:10pm

NY POST (Elisabeth Vincentelli)
http://nypost.com/2014/03/20/aladdin-musical-doesnt-quite-seem-like-a-disney-hit/

2 1/2 out of 4 Stars

"The whole vibe is like a throwback to those old Bob Hope/Bing Crosby movies: “The Road to Agrabah." But the journey may be a short one — leaving the beautiful New Amsterdam Theatre free just in time for the “Frozen” musical to move in." Updated On: 3/20/14 at 11:10 PM

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#62ALADDIN Reviews
Posted: 3/20/14 at 11:30pm

What about HUNCHBACK though? That is actually in the works, unlike FROZEN which JUST left the movies theaters and is now being released for home viewings. Plus, I don't think they are gonna rush to put FROZEN onstage. I think Disney knows that FROZEN is a very important piece of film and it has a lot of work in terms of structuring the story line to be done on it. HUNCHBACK, I think, is the next Disney Broadway show.

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#63ALADDIN Reviews
Posted: 3/20/14 at 11:31pm

These reviews would seemingly make James Monroe Inglehart the front runner for Best Featured Actor in a Musical.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#64ALADDIN Reviews
Posted: 3/20/14 at 11:39pm

^Almost certainly. Though maybe this is the year Danny Burstein finally wins a Tony.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#65ALADDIN Reviews
Posted: 3/20/14 at 11:40pm

yeah, Hunchback is next for Disney. Probably set to arrive on Broadway spring 2016. Maybe by then Newsies will be on its way out.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

TheatreKid3
#66ALADDIN Reviews
Posted: 3/20/14 at 11:44pm

^ Do not say such! ALADDIN Reviews

I remember Jeff Calhoun stating in an interview he would like to see it run at least 5 years.

NEWSIES will be one I will hate to see go, but I think we still have a long way before we have to worry about it.

PlayItAgain
#67ALADDIN Reviews
Posted: 3/20/14 at 11:46pm

theres absolutely no way Newsies last 5 years, it's
maybe got another year in it.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#68ALADDIN Reviews
Posted: 3/21/14 at 12:01am

Could Nick Cordero surprise too? I think right now that particular race looks like it could be packed with great performances all around. I agree that reading these reviews makes me think Inglehart is the frontrunner for the Tony.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

bobs3
#69ALADDIN Reviews
Posted: 3/21/14 at 12:02am

This is getting better reviews than I thought it would. I was expecting scathing reviews based on the comments from people who have seen the show. I have no desire to see it but I hope it has a nice long run.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#70ALADDIN Reviews
Posted: 3/21/14 at 12:03am

I'm guessing this:
-Hunchback will replace Aladdin. I give it until Fall 2015, so Hunchback can move in.
-If Aladdin is as massaive as MP, Hunchback will replace Newsies.
-If Newsies gets bought by another company, Hunchback will replace Lion King. Most likely, Disney will try to get another theatre

It's too early to think about where Frozen will go (I wouldn't be surprised if Frozen replaces Hunchback). Bob Iger and the directors said that they will take their time with Frozen. So, I'm guessing around 2016-2021, Frozen will come on Broadway

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#71ALADDIN Reviews
Posted: 3/21/14 at 12:05am

These reviews confirm what I saw in Toronto: a solidly mediocre show with a few strong points (Inglehart and set/lighting/costume design that I thought was lovely). I think this officially becomes a time will tell piece. It could drop off quick, but it seems like it's been doing solid sales. It seems like it now presents a second true family show option which could appeal to many, especially since Lion King has toured and been viewed so many times.

I see this as being the show that is largely ignored when awards season begins. It doesn't hold up to the reviews and reactions we've seen from After Midnight, Beautiful, or Bridges. Does it have potential to outrun those shows? Despite my feelings on all of them, it seems most likely to get comfy and run a while.

TheatreKid3
#72ALADDIN Reviews
Posted: 3/21/14 at 12:16am

disneybroadway22, I think ALADDIN will be here quite a while.

If HUNCHBACK is truly going to be done small scale (using every expletive I can while I typed that just now), it will more than likely replace NEWSIES if its grosses decline. If it is stable and bringing in business, they won't close it. They can't/won't "sell" the show. It doesn't really work like that.

LION KING just might be close-proof. Don't expect it to move anywhere for another decade.

Based on initial success, I think ALADDIN has a nice run ahead of it. Nice work, Disney. Glad you are still heading in the right direction.

I would expect FROZEN by 2017-2018. While they want to take their time, no doubt it has been bumped right to the top of their list behind HUNCHBACK for development. Updated On: 3/21/14 at 12:16 AM

PlayItAgain
#73ALADDIN Reviews
Posted: 3/21/14 at 12:23am

"-If Newsies gets bought by another company, Hunchback will replace Lion King. Most likely, Disney will try to get another theatre "

what the **** are you talking about?

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#74ALADDIN Reviews
Posted: 3/21/14 at 12:31am

No idea what show these critics saw but I'm always happy to read a positive review.