Anybody Missing "SMASH"

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#1Anybody Missing "SMASH"
Posted: 3/23/14 at 2:20pm

Just curious if anybody is missing this show flaws and all.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2Anybody Missing
Posted: 3/23/14 at 2:21pm

I miss that Ivy never got hit by a bus at the end of season 1 like I asked Santa for.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#2Anybody Missing
Posted: 3/23/14 at 2:26pm

I think a show will come up that will eventually be what Smash wanted to be, but better.

Example: While it's no great sitcom, Suburgatory seems to have the tone and feel Glee initially went for before derailing into sentiment and inconsistent writing.

FindingNamo
#3Anybody Missing
Posted: 3/23/14 at 2:30pm

I do miss Smash. I don't miss Karen.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#4Anybody Missing
Posted: 3/23/14 at 2:32pm

It feels like Smash was such a long time ago, but, yes, I miss it. Just picked up a ticket to see Megan Hilty at The Kennedy Center in May.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#5Anybody Missing
Posted: 3/23/14 at 3:17pm

"It feels like Smash was such a long time ago, but, yes, I miss it. Just picked up a ticket to see Megan Hilty at The Kennedy Center in May."

I miss it because there was always something in any episode that I enjoyed and it was nice having a show about "Broadway" flaws and all.

Updated On: 3/23/14 at 03:17 PM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#6Anybody Missing
Posted: 3/23/14 at 3:31pm

This morning, I was browsing through Netflix and thought of it. I do miss Smash, even though there was a thousand things they should have done differently, it was a wonderful concept and incredibly creative.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#7Anybody Missing
Posted: 3/23/14 at 3:34pm

Everyday of my life.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#8Anybody Missing
Posted: 3/23/14 at 3:38pm

'This morning, I was browsing through Netflix and thought of it. I do miss Smash, even though there was a thousand things they should have done differently, it was a wonderful concept and incredibly creative."

I have both seasons DVD and once in awhile I pop in a disc and watch it. I agree with you 100%, some things should have be changed but the concept was great.

Updated On: 3/23/14 at 03:38 PM

Sutton Ross
#9Anybody Missing
Posted: 3/23/14 at 3:47pm

I didn't know a lot of people that watched it outside of New York though. It played to just a specific audience, I didn't think it was going to be a ratings hit. Sigh.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#10Anybody Missing
Posted: 3/23/14 at 3:51pm

"I didn't know a lot of people that watched it outside of New York though. It played to just a specific audience, I didn't think it was going to be a ratings hit. Sigh."

True, I live in NC and doubt many other people watched it - lol

Sutton Ross
#11Anybody Missing
Posted: 3/23/14 at 3:54pm

Yeah, me too. I never saw this as a hit in the Bible Belt. Anybody Missing

Platypus
#12Anybody Missing
Posted: 3/23/14 at 4:11pm

There are many theatre fans outside of NYC, so it's not fair to say that nobody watched it outside NYC. I don't live in NYC (I don't even live in the US), but I watched the show, as did most of my friends, because we are all theatre fans. So it's more reasonable to say that nobody outside of the theatre community was watching it, regardless of location, rather than saying it was just NYC theatre fans who were watching.

FindingNamo
#13Anybody Missing
Posted: 3/23/14 at 4:13pm

You tell 'em, plat!

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#14Anybody Missing SMASH
Posted: 3/23/14 at 4:34pm

I miss loving the songs and laughing hysterically at how bad most of the rest was. I also have the DVDs, but have never been posessed to watch anything but the musical numbers.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Okiekat Profile Photo
Okiekat
#15Anybody Missing SMASH
Posted: 3/23/14 at 4:37pm

I miss Marc Shaiman's songs.

Sutton Ross
#16Anybody Missing SMASH
Posted: 3/23/14 at 4:38pm

Ugh, shut up Namo.

Platypus, we said we didn't know a lot of people who watched it outside of New York. Nobody said "it was just NYC theatre fans who were watching." It was our personal experience that we were discussing. I think it's cool people in other countries were watching and enjoying it.

Updated On: 3/23/14 at 04:38 PM

FindingNamo
#17Anybody Missing SMASH
Posted: 3/23/14 at 4:52pm

You bin served. And reacted impolitely.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#18Anybody Missing SMASH
Posted: 3/23/14 at 5:02pm

"There are many theatre fans outside of NYC, so it's not fair to say that nobody watched it outside NYC. I don't live in NYC (I don't even live in the US), but I watched the show, as did most of my friends, because we are all theatre fans. So it's more reasonable to say that nobody outside of the theatre community was watching it, regardless of location, rather than saying it was just NYC theatre fans who were watching."

I think you need to read what "Sutton Ross" and myself said again. It was personal experience and not a statement that nobody outside of NYC was watching the show. Sutton Ross also mentioned that it was targeted for a specific audience. I am willing to bet you adult beverage that ratings demographics would probably show that SMASH did better in places like NY or LA than it did where I live (Charlotte NC)

Sutton Ross
#19Anybody Missing SMASH
Posted: 3/23/14 at 5:06pm

*been*

I love that you think I've been served (???). Don't try to stir up drama when there isn't any. Our experiences, our opinions.

"I also have the DVDs, but have never been possessed to watch anything but the musical numbers."

But, the dialogue is where all the ridiculous, funny sh!t is!

"I think you need to read what "Sutton Ross" and myself said again. It was personal experience and not a statement that nobody outside of NYC was watching the show. Sutton Ross also mentioned that it was targeted for a specific audience." Exactly. Thanks Yankeefan. I might add that I am a huge Yankees fan myself Anybody Missing SMASH

Updated On: 3/23/14 at 05:06 PM

theatergoer3
#20Anybody Missing SMASH
Posted: 3/23/14 at 5:11pm

Was listening to the Bombshell album earlier. It was a good show.

mjohnson2 Profile Photo
mjohnson2
#21Anybody Missing SMASH
Posted: 3/23/14 at 5:17pm

I just thought that this show was such a wasted opportunity. A TV show about making a broadway musical could have been so good, but then we got Smash...

Anything regarding shows stated by this account is an attempt to convey opinion and not fact.

Sutton Ross
#22Anybody Missing SMASH
Posted: 3/23/14 at 5:22pm

Bombshell is a great show, the music is beautiful.

Mjohnson, what would you have done differently to make it better?

mjohnson2 Profile Photo
mjohnson2
#23Anybody Missing SMASH
Posted: 3/23/14 at 5:30pm

Okay, I could probably write like 25 pages on what was wrong with smash, but I'll just stick to the fact that the writers for the show did not know how to write believable characters or situations. Notably the whole drama with Derek and the other situation with Julia. What the hell was wrong with them? Derek was just a whiny little b**** the whole time and needed to just shut the hell up. Julia needed to just keep it in her pants! Shaiman and Whitman were totally the wrong composers for a Marilyn musical and a Marilyn musical is just a terrible idea in general. Also, WTF is up with Hit List!? The songs weren't that good and the plot made no sense whatsoever! Jimmy was just like the worst human being alive and never knew when to shut his mouth, and who the hell gets hit by a bus!? Like what person decided that that would be a good idea, to just kill off the only likable character in the whole show because... why? Oh, and nobody even for a second believed that Karen was the better Marilyn than Ivy.
Ugh, just thinking about this show makes me so mad!
Sorry for the rant, and if you disagree with me, that's fine. We all have our own opinions and we are allowed to disagree with each other.

Anything regarding shows stated by this account is an attempt to convey opinion and not fact.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#24Anybody Missing SMASH
Posted: 3/23/14 at 5:50pm

mjohnson2 - I agree with you on the whole "Julia" thing with her affair and family. No need for that in the show and major downfall of Season 1 IMO. I did not mind the Derek character that much, expect directors to have big ego and times of being a jerk. I liked most of the songs from "Bombshell but think the concept of doing a "Marilyn Monroe" musical was not very new or exciting. As for the Karen and Ivy thing, I believe they just wanted some time of "drama" and competition in the show. Ivy would have never "lost" the role if it was not for her "drug" problem and insecurity about Derek. Ivy won out in the end and won the Tony so it worked for me. Matter of fact, Karen came out the "loser" in the end. Ivy won the Tony and her boyfriend was going off to jail after her first boyfriend cheated on her. They needed to make Jimmy a bit more likeable and "Hit List" was ok IMO. Kyle's death was kind of lame, there could have been better way to kill him off if that is what they wanted to do. I guess my favorite things was Megan Hilty's singing, songs from Bombshell and just in general a show about Broadway. Finally, I thought at times Karen sang quite well, depended on the song.