Building Bridges

ukpuppetboy Profile Photo
ukpuppetboy
#1Building Bridges
Posted: 4/29/14 at 7:22pm

Jesus what a depressing bunch most of you supposedly well connected and theatre literate New Yorkers have been today/these last few weeks. Instead of prematurely dancing of the grave of what I can only imagine to be a beautifully written and sung show perhaps tell a few friends to check it out and show us some of that famous American positive attitude that normally eludes us in Europe??! Otherwise you too may find yourself overrun with Laurence Conner revivals of things you didn't need to see again and juke box musicals of pop stars you never really listened to to begin with. Enjoy it while you can. An unnecesaary revival of Martin Guerre and the Milli Vanilli story awaits..

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2Building Bridges
Posted: 4/29/14 at 7:31pm

How do you know the fans of the show AREN'T telling their friends and family to go see it? There have been plenty of people here singing the praises of the show (I can only assume you are talking about The Bridges of Madison County.)

What exactly are you expecting them to do? And I don't see much of anyone DANCING, merely speculating that it will close soon.

And how can you actually champion a show you haven't even seen?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#2Building Bridges
Posted: 4/29/14 at 7:31pm

Building Bridges

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#3Building Bridges
Posted: 4/29/14 at 7:40pm

I've told lots of people to see it, but I'm not sure what you expect us to do... go down to TKTS to encourage attendance?! I mean, it's not like it's a non-profit charity or something. I even had zero interest in seeing it, until I finally got a good discounted ticket, so I rolled the dice and fell in love with it. There have been passionate people on the boards here about it, but not sure what else we can really do...

promisespromises2 Profile Photo
promisespromises2
#4Building Bridges
Posted: 4/29/14 at 8:03pm

There's only so much WE can do!

Shoot, my friend and I saw Big Fish and then DRAGGED both of our parents and two of her friends to see Big Fish two months later (and we live 6 hours away) and look how that turned out.

ukpuppetboy
#5Building Bridges
Posted: 4/29/14 at 8:16pm

Promises/hater/Dramamamma- i guess I reached the wrong people!!

I was just commenting on the cloud that this forum has hung over the show (with a few notable exceptions) with endless speculation about closing notices specifically after the lack of a nod in Best Musical category for the Tony, which after this weekend's twitter storm in London concerning I Can't Sing seems unsupportive of the industry and about as helpful as their marketing.

True there have also been others who have praised the music/orchestrations and the two leads specifically which is all that can be expected to encourage an audience to support new and creative work. Just seems a shame that in the NY theatre scene the overriding feeling is "No Tony nod/No future".

Sutton Ross
#6Building Bridges
Posted: 4/29/14 at 8:30pm

"perhaps tell a few friends to check it out and show us some of that famous American positive attitude that normally eludes us in Europe??!"

Many, many people on here have spread the word on Bridges of Madison County. The album was encouraged to be streamed by tons of people, people put discount codes in threads, and most people here who loved it have most likely told someone about it. I don't have any affiliation with Bridges, but have raved about it on social media, and talked about it to everyone I know and even to strangers. People on the subway and Uber drivers of New York can attest to that. All because I was passionate about the production. Stop talking about things you know nothing about.

ukpuppetboy
#7Building Bridges
Posted: 4/29/14 at 8:46pm

Sutton I take it back. If I were a stranger encountering you on the tube and you were THIS polite and engaging I think I would give your recommendations a miss. Maybe you should be the one to stop talking.

Though I do concede that that quote does come off as a bit patronising out of the context of the intended audience and not the people who actually were seeing the show. But then you went and gave me the finger... Updated On: 4/29/14 at 08:46 PM

dramamama611
#8Building Bridges
Posted: 4/29/14 at 8:51pm

Speculating on a show's closing -- because ticket sales are horrendous -- is hardly dancing on a grave. When you care about the business, you care about all aspects -- which includes trying to understand how the producers/investors make the decisions they do.

There isn't a single message board anywhere that isn't going to have Negative Nellies around.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#9Building Bridges
Posted: 4/29/14 at 8:52pm

I don't think it's a cloud or speculation, just basic math. The weekly ticket sales aren't good and are on a downward slope. A nomination could have piqued enough interest to make people give it a look, but that didn't happen.

Sutton Ross
#10Building Bridges
Posted: 4/29/14 at 8:59pm

Sadly, it didn't. But that doesn't mean that people didn't try everything they could to get butts in seats. I hope they don't do what Autumn did, and close five days after announcing it. Big Fish gave seven weeks notice.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#11Building Bridges
Posted: 4/29/14 at 9:04pm

If L'Headband is correct, they only raised enough additional funds to get them through nominations, so... I wouldn't count on 7 weeks. ;-(

Liza's Headband
#12Building Bridges
Posted: 4/29/14 at 9:07pm

If SR actually read what I write, "she" would I know I've addressed this numerous times. Whatever.

Sutton Ross
#13Building Bridges
Posted: 4/29/14 at 9:15pm

My friend in Kansas bought tickets for August. I had to break his heart today, he had no idea it was doing poorly. But, most people don't pay attention to that kind of stuff. I hope it's still open on Mother's Day. Building Bridges

dramamama611
#14Building Bridges
Posted: 4/29/14 at 9:33pm

I highly doubt you'll be gettin seven weeks notice. A week or two is more the norm.

ARTc3
#15Building Bridges
Posted: 4/29/14 at 9:42pm

Well, I'll make the effort... For anyone who is reading this and has yet to see, The Bridges of Madison County, go. It is truly special with an exceptional score. If enough of you see the show and through word of mouth support the show, it will continue to perform and move audiences. Again, go!

ARTc3 formerly ARTc. Actually been a poster since 2004. My name isn't Art. Drop the "3" and say the signature and you'll understand.

Sutton Ross
#16Building Bridges
Posted: 4/29/14 at 9:45pm

Building Bridges

Yeah Art!!!

Liza's Headband
#17Building Bridges
Posted: 4/29/14 at 10:27pm

"If enough of you see the show and through word of mouth support the show, it will continue to perform and move audiences."

This will not make up for the major losses they are incurring every week...

brdway411
#18Building Bridges
Posted: 4/30/14 at 12:01am

I love the show (taking my man tomorrow). But as stated already. They are not doing well. Never have done well. The score is INCREDIBLE, The leads are great. The story is so-so. Hence my comment that they will be posting notice soon. I hope it does not happen. But they cannot keep sinking money into this bottomless pit. BTW, I have told TONS of people to go see it. I was hoping for a Best Musical nod. Didn't happen. My life will go on. I will continue to tell people about it.

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#19Building Bridges
Posted: 4/30/14 at 10:40am

I saw the show twice-- both times bringing different people who did not like it. One described it as "The Nicholas Sparks Musical" with perfect performances and brilliant music.

I can't say I disagree. Kelli O'Hara, Steven Pasquale, and JRB elevate the melodramatic story.

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#20Building Bridges
Posted: 4/30/14 at 12:36pm

show us some of that famous American positive attitude that normally eludes us in Europe??!

What the hell are you going on about?

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#21Building Bridges
Posted: 4/30/14 at 1:45pm

Just seems a shame that in the NY theatre scene the overriding feeling is "No Tony nod/No future".

Unfortunately, it’s not a feeling, it’s just how it usually goes for shows that aren’t doing well in grosses. Producers look to the Tony noms (and awards) as a possibility of boosting sales. If they don’t earn many nominations (or don’t earn the ones that might help sales), the shows not doing well before they were announced often close soon after. Likewise, for shows struggling through Tony season that don’t win the awards that might help them boost sales, closing notices are often posted soon after Tony night. It’s just how it is.

When you care about the business, you care about all aspects -- which includes trying to understand how the producers/investors make the decisions they do.

Well said.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#22Building Bridges
Posted: 4/30/14 at 2:06pm

I'm confused by everything in that original post.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

After Eight
#23Building Bridges
Posted: 4/30/14 at 10:41pm

"what I can only imagine to be a beautifully written and sung show"

Since you haven't seen it, then, yes, all you can do is imagine. Unfortunately, what we imagine is often far different from what is. Though most of the people who post about it here sing its praises on a daily basis, others, and not a few, I suspect, have found it to be a drab and dreary bore. Would you expect those people to then go drum up business for it? It's clear from the grosses that people are not interested in seeing it. Maybe it's because they've heard that it's just not very good.

And it isn't.

Updated On: 4/30/14 at 10:41 PM

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#24Building Bridges
Posted: 4/30/14 at 10:50pm

^ Well, now that God has spoken we can all just stop talking.