pixeltracker

Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thoughts- Page 9

Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thoughts

tmbyru Profile Photo
tmbyru
#200Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/14/14 at 8:50am

Are there any published reviews from the opening yet? I can't seem to find any!

The Pud
Back Row
#203Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/14/14 at 4:42pm

The Boston Globe review made what I think is a good point at the end of the review:

"But this is a fun and touching show, gorgeous to look at and listen to, and the 2½ hours mostly fly by. How you feel about “Finding Neverland” will depend on whether you believe that’s enough."

Globe Review

The Pud
#204Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/14/14 at 4:51pm

Isn't that how it is with whatever we watch, whether it is big screen or small or live
theater. The globe also mentions thunderous applause after one of the duets. Mixed
reviews but there are sure to be changes coming before Broadway opening in March.

CukorLover Profile Photo
CukorLover
#205Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/14/14 at 5:00pm

Certainly no raves, unanimous or otherwise. I think I'll save myself that trip to Boston and wait for the TDF magic on Broadway.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#206Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/14/14 at 5:01pm

Indeed! I LOVED Spring Awakening, even though I could point at many, many of its flaws.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#207Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/14/14 at 6:06pm

Now that the show is open at the ART, is it frozen until they move to their Broadway house?

JaglinSays
The Pud
#209Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/14/14 at 6:48pm

Jered Bowen: "I don't have enough thumbs to raise for the new Finding Neverland." I think that is pretty glowing and I have heard from someone who has seen it at least five times, it is well worth the trip to Boston.
Hey, then when it win the Tony for best new Musical you can say "I saw it when..."

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#210Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/14/14 at 8:08pm

A total pan would mean that he had NOTHING positive to say about the production, and that is simply not true.

Updated On: 8/14/14 at 08:08 PM

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#211Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/14/14 at 8:22pm

That NYT review is pretty nasty. I heartily disagree with it. I disagree, for starters, that this is a "children’s musical." I've seen it three times so far, and I find the show to be asking more questions than it answers -- questions about how to define tricky things like childhood, innocence, happiness. It confronts mortality in ways that speak to me (I'm 45); it shows that these topics have layers and depth. The quotes that the NYT pulled are accurate, but proportionally, the show includes many more lines & lyrics that connote ambivalence and complexity.

I also disagree that Jordan plays Barrie as if "his sensibility is that of a fun-loving child." Jordan's Barrie has stunted emotional growth, and pain in layers, and tons of awkwwardness. He's far more awkward than free, and it's bang on. It works.

Nateben2 Profile Photo
Nateben2
#212Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/14/14 at 8:58pm

Is the show frozen at ART - most likely yes. If they were planning for a quicker transfer, they could try rehearsing the show more on the LORT contract they are on - but there are severe limitations to how much they could work.

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#213Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/15/14 at 10:49am

That Brantley review was very odd. Most of it felt more like a review of Mr. Weinstein than the show. Then, toward the end, he starts talking quite positively about the show, but then immediately turns around and ends it on a note where he, essentially, calls the show a flop. Truthfully, it sounds like he wanted to get more of a dig in at Weinstein than anything else.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#214Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/15/14 at 10:53am

That Brantley column - because it's not much of a review - takes up half its space before it even gets to the show. He even highlights Weinstein saying it's a work in progress that shouldn't be reviewed. Then Brantley starts in on the show itself. rantley also seems overly concerned with Barrie's sexuality implying the show is a whitewash - in effect reviewing the show he thinks this should be, rather than the show that it is.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#215Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/15/14 at 11:14am

Why would Weinstein not allow the NYTimes to legitimately review, but allow Variety and local papers? Is it only a work-in-progress for certain people?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

mikey2573
#216Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/15/14 at 1:07pm

Perhaps Weinstein did not have a chance to have a one-on-one with the Variety critic?

Susanswerphone Profile Photo
Susanswerphone
#217Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/15/14 at 1:32pm

Saw it last night and found it enchanting! The score is memorable and the set and effects are well done. It still has some weak/rough moments and some of the choreography is incongruous, but every single character on stage rings true. While I'm sure children of a certain age will enjoy it, it's not really a "children's musical" as it has been characterized elsewhere. However,I was disappointed that the rumored dancing bumblebees were nowhere in sight!

Susanswerphone Profile Photo
Susanswerphone
#217Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/15/14 at 1:32pm

Saw it last night and found it enchanting! The score is memorable and the set and effects are well done. It still has some weak/rough moments and some of the choreography is incongruous, but every single character on stage rings true. While I'm sure children of a certain age will enjoy it, it's not really a "children's musical" as it has been characterized elsewhere. However,I was disappointed that the rumored dancing bumblebees were nowhere in sight!

The Pud
#219Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/15/14 at 2:18pm

GilmoreGirl02, I agree with you, it did sound more like a personal attack on Weinstein. Just curious, has
Brantley ever been crazy about a show? If so, what was it, I am curious to know. Finding Neverland has appeal for everyone. Lost love, unrequited love, loss of a parent, make believe, personally I think people
of all ages will like it, young and old alike.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#220Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/15/14 at 2:35pm

So Weinstein told Brantly that the 3 million dollar ART production will get an additional 11 million thrown at it for Broadway? Why would he do that?

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#221Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/15/14 at 2:37pm

ggersten, i agree with you. Brantley seems to be reviewing the show he thinks this should be. I'm a professional reviewer myself (not of theater!) and we're not supposed to review the piece we wanted it to be. We need to review the piece that it *is.* Otherwise it undermines the whole point of the review, the review process, and the piece of art.

Wilmingtom
#222Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/15/14 at 3:30pm

This is an out-of-town tryout. Of course they'll use the next seven months to tweak the show based on what they've learned in Boston. As for Brantley, he clearly isn't out to sink the ship but nor is he going to give them a "we have the Times in our pocket" sense of security.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#223Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/15/14 at 4:17pm

Re that Brantley review--sure teenagers have helped make Wicked the huge hit it is--there's no denying. But pre-adolescent *kids*? Are 9 year olds dragging their parents the ones helping it run a decade?

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#224Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/15/14 at 4:25pm

EricMontreal22 you're right, Brantley's conflating kids with teens. This is relevant to Matilda too: plenty of kids love Matilda, but TONS of adults -- and teens -- are seeing it for themselves, without kids.