pixeltracker

GIRLS Star Allison Williams To Play Peter Pan In NBC Production- Page 4

GIRLS Star Allison Williams To Play Peter Pan In NBC Production

mikey2573
#75GIRLS Star Allison Williams To Play Peter Pan In NBC Production
Posted: 7/30/14 at 5:50pm

meh.....She looks awfully "girly". At least Martin, Duncan and Rigby had a squarish and boyish looking core (meaning they did not have huge hooters I guess).
Sounds like nobody of worth was interested in the part.
I hope she can pull it off; it is not an easy part to play convincingly by any means. Why do you think they keep using the same actresses over and over?
I still wish that NBC had televised the Duncan version back in the 80s. it almost happened until Tartikoff left NBC.

Updated On: 7/30/14 at 05:50 PM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#76GIRLS Star Allison Williams To Play Peter Pan In NBC Production
Posted: 7/30/14 at 5:53pm

"And who ARE you people who don't watch Girls?"

I know, right?

finebydesign Profile Photo
finebydesign
#77GIRLS Star Allison Williams To Play Peter Pan In NBC Production
Posted: 7/30/14 at 6:20pm

"Sounds like nobody or worth was interested in the part. "

I'm kinda getting that sense as well.

rjm516
#78GIRLS Star Allison Williams To Play Peter Pan In NBC Production
Posted: 7/30/14 at 6:46pm

I saw a middle school version of Peter Pan last week and a boy played Peter so NOT NEVER. Also it was the worst torture of my life. Anyway, Wendy seemed like the biggest role to me, so I hope they get someone amazing (hoping for bway person!) for that.

mikey2573
#79GIRLS Star Allison Williams To Play Peter Pan In NBC Production
Posted: 7/30/14 at 8:37pm

There was also the Nunn/Caird version (not a musical) where Peter was played by a man (I think it was Barrie biographer Andrew Birkin who said something to the effect that, "they had to strap the guy's testicles to his leg". Also, don't forget Bobby Driscoll who was the model and voice of the Disney animated Pan. I think Jeremy Sumpter played a convincing Pan in that movie from about 10 years ago (again not a musical). My thinking is if they had found some teen heartthrob to play the part, they could have transposed the music into a more suitable key. Again, if just appears as if no one of note was all that interested, so they went with someone that most people will not know.
I wonder if they will keep "Oh My Mysterious Lady".

SporkGoddess
#80GIRLS Star Allison Williams To Play Peter Pan In NBC Production
Posted: 7/30/14 at 10:07pm

She's a great singer, but I don't think that she's a very strong actress. Guess we'll see, though!

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#81GIRLS Star Allison Williams To Play Peter Pan In NBC Production
Posted: 7/30/14 at 10:16pm

Whatever, we can complain just fine, it's not like it's going to affect any decisions being made in any way. That's the point of a message board, to voice our opinion, she's a big girl, she can take it.
I find the choice utterly bland, since I find her to be oh so bland. I thought they'd really shock everyone with a big name for the cast, but I guess not.
Besty made a good point about the ratings for GIRLS. And no, I don't think Christopher Walker can single-handedly attract the kind of audience Carrie Underwood could. At the same time, perhaps now that they did the special last year and since they got a recognizable title, they are confident audiences will still see it during the holidays (especially since they have virtually no competition). That seems plausible, and if that's the case, good for them, as others have said it'd be nice if this opened the door for less recognizable names to be cast.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
lovepuppy
#83GIRLS Star Allison Williams To Play Peter Pan In NBC Production
Posted: 7/30/14 at 10:24pm

Not my first choice or even first consideration for the role, but actually, it could work out better for her, and for NBC. NBC took a lot of flack for the fact that Underwood could certainly sing, but wasn't directed well to act. This way, they get a mid-level actress--who CAN act and CAN sing (bonus), and get bigger stars to cameo for the rest. Like, Christopher Walken as Capt. Hook, who has already been announced. Tiger Lilly and Wendy will probably be the marketable ones aside him.

There will be criticism of Williams, and of the entire thing, just like last time, but it could be win-win for all of them by not banking so much on the title role as a "big star." And, it could be star-making for Williams if all the other pieces fit together. I keep thinking of all the unfortunate technical issues from the last one, but a live musical having not been done on TV for 60 years, they get a bit of a pass for being a guinea pig...

"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." "I dare say you haven't had the practice," said the Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." --Alice in Wonderland

harris007 Profile Photo
harris007
#84GIRLS Star Allison Williams To Play Peter Pan In NBC Production
Posted: 7/30/14 at 10:50pm

I can't beleve they did cast him ,he's awesome.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgiApSLinOg

Attend the tale of Bovine Boy His party threads we all enjoy But does he have Mad Cow Disease? He doesn't eat beef - but cows skating? - oh please!!! With cocoa!?! And lemonade!?! The heifer-mad poster of Broadway (World)

musicaljen Profile Photo
musicaljen
#85GIRLS Star Allison Williams To Play Peter Pan In NBC Production
Posted: 7/30/14 at 10:57pm

My heart goes out for Williams, since I just saw a clip of her singing and although I
have never seen her in anything before, I think she is very talented.
I believe that doing Peter Pan as a follow up for sound of music was NBC's biggest
mistake followed by Greenblatt's statement that the main role will likely be going to
a male instead of a female. But we all make mistakes.
My prediction would be around a million to two million viewers, if they are lucky. The Sound of Music along with Carrie Underwood were advertised a year in advance
And it also cannot be compared to Peter Pan who has a very poor libretto. Fingers crossed they will begin working on The Music Man soon. Pan is something I myself going to skip

Updated On: 7/30/14 at 10:57 PM

cknick
#86GIRLS Star Allison Williams To Play Peter Pan In NBC Production
Posted: 7/30/14 at 11:04pm

How can you say Pan has a "poor libretto?" The depth of those characters is remarkable. It's very similar to the original Barrie play, if I'm remembering rightly.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#87GIRLS Star Allison Williams To Play Peter Pan In NBC Production
Posted: 7/30/14 at 11:26pm

Tiger Lilly and Wendy will probably be the marketable ones aside him.

Tiger Lily will be played by a Native American female. They've announced a nationwide search for her.

Otherwise I agree. They'll try to find a name for Wendy and probably Mr. and Mrs. Darling (unless they intend to have Walken double as the former).

Updated On: 7/31/14 at 11:26 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#88GIRLS Star Allison Williams To Play Peter Pan In NBC Production
Posted: 7/30/14 at 11:30pm

Anyone know what version of the show they're doing?

I hope we get the extended dance section in Ugg A Wugg that was added in the Rigby version.

As I remember in the Martin version, there were random costumed animals that made appearances- it looked quite hokey. I have no idea if this was so,etching added for that broadcast or was always there. That version also had Liza the maid going to Neverland, somewhat randomly.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#89GIRLS Star Allison Williams To Play Peter Pan In NBC Production
Posted: 7/31/14 at 3:46am

Hey, MusicalJen - I forget, is Allison Williams considered a graduate performer or not?

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#90GIRLS Star Allison Williams To Play Peter Pan In NBC Production
Posted: 7/31/14 at 7:31am

"And who ARE you people who don't watch Girls?"

I know, right?

We would be the other 200 million people who live in this country who don't watch the show. You're among the less than 1 million people who do.

Not exactly a ratings bonanza.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#91GIRLS Star Allison Williams To Play Peter Pan In NBC Production
Posted: 7/31/14 at 8:04am

Actually, besty, it's a huge cultural phenomenon.

Lena Dunham's comic voice and the style of filming have made it speak for this generation of single women. If the ratings are not what they were for Sex and the City or Friends or Mary Tyler Moore, it's partially because of the way the TV industry is fragmented with cable and things like Netflix nowadays.

But you really should watch some of it. You probably would like it.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#92GIRLS Star Allison Williams To Play Peter Pan In NBC Production
Posted: 7/31/14 at 8:28am

Has SNL announced its hosts for the fall? I wouldn't be surprised to see Ms. Williams get a hosting gig in advance of the Pan broadcast.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#93GIRLS Star Allison Williams To Play Peter Pan In NBC Production
Posted: 7/31/14 at 9:05am

"It seems strange to go from casting a massively popular singer last year to casting a pretty much unknown this year. "

Maybe they learned their lesson that "massively popular" does not translate to "good"?

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#94GIRLS Star Allison Williams To Play Peter Pan In NBC Production
Posted: 7/31/14 at 9:06am

Allison did not go to Yale School of Drama. She did her undergrad in English.

She has grown so much as an actress in the last two or three years, but still has occasional line readings on GIRLS that make one cringe.

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#95GIRLS Star Allison Williams To Play Peter Pan In NBC Production
Posted: 7/31/14 at 9:13am

"Tiger Lily will be played by a Native American female. They've announced a nationwide search for her."

Hooray. Isn't Cher 1/16 Native American?

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#96GIRLS Star Allison Williams To Play Peter Pan In NBC Production
Posted: 7/31/14 at 10:01am

A strange choice. Not well known, not a stage actress, not great singer. I assume they did their homework and she will do fine.

I was really hoping for Chris Colfer.

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#97GIRLS Star Allison Williams To Play Peter Pan In NBC Production
Posted: 7/31/14 at 10:14am

"I was really hoping for Chris Colfer."

Well to each his own, but a very effeminite male Peter Pan does not appeal nearly as much as a tom boyish female one to me. (Not that Allison Williams is at all tomboy like.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#98GIRLS Star Allison Williams To Play Peter Pan In NBC Production
Posted: 7/31/14 at 10:19am

Besty, I was being a touch facetious. Though, PJ is right, the show's cultural influence is bigger than its ratings suggest - especially with the kids 30-and-under. It seems like practically every one of my close friends watches GIRLS. I'd be shocked if any of them watch much higher rated shows like 2 1/2 Men or Mike & Molly.

Larcen26 Profile Photo
Larcen26
#99GIRLS Star Allison Williams To Play Peter Pan In NBC Production
Posted: 7/31/14 at 10:20am

I have a one sentence summary of why some people have a problem with her casting.

It is crude and rude and will probably annoy some people, but it is surprisingly succinct and accurate and has little to do with her ability to act boyish.

I shouldn't want to bang Peter Pan.

Baritone in search of a role in a new musical...