pixeltracker

EMMYS tonight--final predictions?- Page 4

EMMYS tonight--final predictions?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#75EMMYS tonight--final predictions?
Posted: 8/25/14 at 10:54pm

I just can't be upset with another MODERN FAMILY win.

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#76EMMYS tonight--final predictions?
Posted: 8/25/14 at 10:59pm

So glad Breaking Bad won. That was one of the best finales ever and one of the best shows ever.

Piss poor time management to cut off the last award when there was still 2 minutes before 11pm. Come on NBC.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#77EMMYS tonight--final predictions?
Posted: 8/25/14 at 11:00pm

WOW they ended right on time * swoons*

Say good night Gracie-

strummergirl Profile Photo
strummergirl
#78EMMYS tonight--final predictions?
Posted: 8/25/14 at 11:00pm

Breaking Bad's deserved swan song. Drama category is completely up in the air with Mad Men's last season, unknown date for True Detective Season 2, whether or not they warm to The Good Wife and Game of Thrones completely because of that, and whatnot.

Updated On: 8/25/14 at 11:00 PM

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#79EMMYS tonight--final predictions?
Posted: 8/25/14 at 11:01pm

Well that was fun. Or not.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#80EMMYS tonight--final predictions?
Posted: 8/25/14 at 11:24pm

EMMYS tonight--final predictions?

The best moment of the night

dented146 Profile Photo
dented146
#81EMMYS tonight--final predictions?
Posted: 8/26/14 at 1:40am

I have loved Breaking Bad from the beginning. Cranston has been wonderful throughout. But I feel that McConaughey's performance in True Detective was as good as anything I have ever seen at any time on film.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#82EMMYS tonight--final predictions?
Posted: 8/26/14 at 2:46am

Nice to see Cary Joji Fukunaga recognized for his direction of True Detective. I know he's technically being awarded for his direction on one episode, but what a monumental task to have directed every episode of the season and to do so with such uniform excellence. With all due respect to Nic Pizzolatto, I think that without Fukunaga's spectacular direction the series might not have been as strong as it was.

I know it's popular, but I'm kind of surprised by the Sherlock wins. Are the majority of Emmy voters post-menopausal cat lovers?

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#83EMMYS tonight--final predictions?
Posted: 8/26/14 at 10:26am

Very happy that Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Jessica Lange won. Granted, I stopped watching AHS: Coven after Precious began pleasuring herself to a minotaur, but Lange is a goddess nonetheless.

Kristie-K2 Profile Photo
Kristie-K2
#84EMMYS tonight--final predictions?
Posted: 8/26/14 at 11:14am

What a year Brad Pitt is having...First the Oscar and now the Emmy. Both for producing...

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#85EMMYS tonight--final predictions?
Posted: 8/26/14 at 1:03pm

Re: Sherlock. I think Freeman pulled off a win because all the Normal Heart actors in the category unfortunately split the vote, leaving him a (very talented) default. Cumberbatch, well, it was a great category and IMO there was no bad choice among all the actors. How Moffat won boggles the mind. And I say all this as a fan of the show (who is not middle aged and hates cats).

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#86EMMYS tonight--final predictions?
Posted: 8/26/14 at 1:15pm

"I know it's popular, but I'm kind of surprised by the Sherlock wins. Are the majority of Emmy voters post-menopausal cat lovers?"

Ha, I find Sherlock over-hyped, but I think the show skewers much younger than that--my grandma, father and mother are all people who will watch virtually anything British that's a murder mystery, and all of them find Sherlock too "busy" with all the visual gimmicks, etc.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#87EMMYS tonight--final predictions?
Posted: 8/26/14 at 2:47pm

"I have loved Breaking Bad from the beginning. Cranston has been wonderful throughout. But I feel that McConaughey's performance in True Detective was as good as anything I have ever seen at any time on film."

I love Breaking Bad, it's some of the best television that has ever been made. Bryan killed it every single season, and the last one was some of his best work. However, Matthew created a completely original character that one hasn't seen since Omar Little in The Wire. I think he deserved the statue. Much like Breaking Bad, True Detective is truly a work of art.

Also, some of the comedy awards were crap. I think the voters just scan for what looks familiar and what they have been voting for for the last half a decade. Modern Family over Orange is the New Black? Over Veep? Jim Parsons over Louis C.K.? Over Matt LeBlanc? Please.

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#88EMMYS tonight--final predictions?
Posted: 8/26/14 at 3:04pm

I am so bummed that Matt Bomer lost, but was glad Kathy Bates and Jessica Lange won for their work on AHS COVEN this year!

Also, I think MODERN FAMILY is a funny show (the Vegas episode was fantastic), but I would not say it is better than ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK or VEEP, the two funniest shows on television. Julia Louis-Dreyfus for sure deserved another Emmy, but I'd love to see Amy Poehler take it next year in her final season of PARKS AND RECREATION. Surprised to see Allison Janney win her second Emmy this year for a show I did not even know was on (her work on MASTERS OF SEX was great!), especially with Anna Chlumsky getting better each year.

In terms of drama, I understand that this is BREAKING BAD's final season. However, HOUSE OF CARDS was phenomenal this year, and I hope MAD MEN (and finally Jon Hamm and Christina Hendricks) receive recognition in their final season next year. I don't watch THE GOOD WIFE (but I've heard great things about it), but WOW was leading actress packed with great performances: Lizzy Caplan, Robin Wright, Michelle Dockery, Kerry Washington.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#89EMMYS tonight--final predictions?
Posted: 8/26/14 at 3:27pm

I'm a little disappointed that Parsons didn't mention Mayim Bialik in his speech. She has made the show better, and has been the catalyst for Sheldon's evolution. I can't believe she hasn't won an Emmy yet for her performance.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#90EMMYS tonight--final predictions?
Posted: 8/26/14 at 6:00pm

Even though it ended years ago, I'd still give every award to Friday Night Lights.

strummergirl Profile Photo
strummergirl
#91EMMYS tonight--final predictions?
Posted: 8/26/14 at 7:56pm

I agree with Horse Tears. Fukunaga's directing work and perhaps the actual awareness of the actors saved a lot of the writing material by Pizzolatto that immediately in trying to tie things together felt much more familiar and not as daring. Compared to Breaking Bad's ending, which at least took into account how many characters were shattered and shells at that point during the ending, I really found myself finding a lot of interesting acting, atmosphere, and heart that did they best they could with True Detective's writing that seemed much in love itself a bit too much.

Matthew not winning is pretty surprising but the room seemed to beam the most when Breaking Bad won anything. Anna Gunn, Aaron Paul, Moira Walley-Beckett's episode, the momentum was shifting. Again, Cranston had the best submission episode ('Ozymandias') of anybody. It is a whole friggin' character arc within a single episode that is still shocking to watch. Matthew chose the True Detective finale 'Form and Void' and I cannot help but think that was such a mistake. Rust Cohle became instantly iconic and immediately one of the best characters on TV (and Matthew's whole career) because of Rust of the past be it the 90s nihlist Jimmy Stewart thing he had going or the Lone Star beer drinking, unreliable narrator of the present Rust. Rust as being 'saved' and seeing the light is just a silly choice. McConaughey chose a coda that a lot of people didn't find an interesting direction for his character at all. Cranston chose his best work to date. I'd personally would have picked 'The Secret Fate of All Life' or 'Who Goes There' because it is peak Rust Cohle and also, while Fukunaga gets the credit for the long action take in 'Who Goes There', Matthew is the subject for most of that non-interrupting stretch.

House of Cards makes Veep a much more serious, realistic DC show and at once not at all a compliment to House of Cards but a complete compliment to Veep. The 'Debate' episode was realer than anything ever on House of Cards on politics.

Mad Men was great but no writing or directing nominations in addition to one of the very best things about its season (Ms. Moss) not being nominated, one must be realistic about its chances. It has a better shot next year but needs to basically go 7 for 7 in homerun episodes much like Breaking Bad did in its final 8. Apparently Robert Towne is doing one of the scripts for the final 7 so maybe something that old Hollywood attracts the Emmys back again.