pixeltracker

Industry professionals giving shade to one another- Page 2

Industry professionals giving shade to one another

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#25Industry professionals giving shade to one another
Posted: 9/18/14 at 9:50pm

Allow me to summarize, based on a NY Daily News article turned up in my search:

Someone started a Twitter account called "Broadway Anonymous" that posted so-called blind items about Broadway stars. The tweet that got Marty Thomas' panties in a knot was "Which Avenue Q cast member gave Marty Thomas crabs?" Unlike other Broadway stars who shrugged it off, Marty sued to uncover the identity of the person responsible for the Twitter account. The account itself was both very blase and very snotty about the possibility of being held responsible: "Before 'damages' even become relevant, you have to prove something was libelous or slanderous in nature. So if someone posts something that is actually true, or posts it in a way that doesn't assert it as a fact, then it isn't libel, or slander. It just means that you have to stop acting like a moron if people finding out about it damages your career." I can find no follow-up beyond the threat to sue, however.

The Raven situation I dunno about.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

TazTarney Profile Photo
TazTarney
#26Industry professionals giving shade to one another
Posted: 9/18/14 at 10:12pm

Could someone also explain the whole homophobia and Alice Ripley thing? All I know was she said something homophobic SOMEWHERE and people on this board were talking about picketing or something. What exactly happened and what did she say?

TazTarney Profile Photo
TazTarney
#27Industry professionals giving shade to one another
Posted: 9/18/14 at 10:15pm

Raven Symone got hired to play the lead in Sister Act and after her first couple performances she "got sick" and missed a ton a performances and people on here were just sayin stuff and threads got deleted and Jordan through a hissy fit ( rightfully so..almost).

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#28Industry professionals giving shade to one another
Posted: 9/18/14 at 10:59pm

This made me guffaw: https://twitter.com/Rachrinc/status/512611500423647232

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Younger Brother Profile Photo
Younger Brother
#29Industry professionals giving shade to one another
Posted: 9/19/14 at 5:30am

Raven Symone got hired to play the lead in Sister Act and after her first couple performances she "got sick" and missed a ton a performances and people on here were just sayin stuff and threads got deleted and Jordan through a hissy fit ( rightfully so..almost).

Well, she did get sick, no? I wouldn't say that was shade really. Just a couple of disappointed people. I don't ever recall any Broadway performers saying anything of the situation.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#30Industry professionals giving shade to one another
Posted: 9/19/14 at 7:32am

I don't know how much truth there is to the Alice Ripley thing. I'm my opinion she could not seem more liberal.

Showface
#31Industry professionals giving shade to one another
Posted: 9/19/14 at 10:41pm

Morgan James threw shade at the 2012 Park Production of ITW. The Broadway community threw some back at her.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#32Industry professionals giving shade to one another
Posted: 9/20/14 at 12:02am

I always though shade was a more subtle thing, rather than full out challenging someone.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#33Industry professionals giving shade to one another
Posted: 9/20/14 at 4:21am

I always though shade was a more subtle thing, rather than full out challenging someone.

You're right about that. Kristen Lee Kelly and Anthony Rapp threw Sherie Rene Scott major shade during ReNt, for example.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#34Industry professionals giving shade to one another
Posted: 9/20/14 at 4:50am

Speaking of Bette Davis (who it's been said always got along very well with her pal - to the extent she had any - de Havilland), as reported in John Lahr's new Tennessee Williams bio, was hell on wheels during Night of the Iguana. In response, Patrick O'Neal lost his mind and physically attacked her.

broadwayboy223
#35Industry professionals giving shade to one another
Posted: 10/16/14 at 8:58pm

Bumping because this is a interesting thread. Can someone explain berndeatte vs Patti? And the meadowlark story?

Showface
#36Industry professionals giving shade to one another
Posted: 10/16/14 at 9:10pm

^I think the Bernadette v. Patti thing is made up. Why we like to pit them against eachother? Idk, but it's fun cuz' I love them both.

In my own little world I imagine that when LuPone sang "Ladies Who Lunch" at the Sondheim celebration...she was throwing some shady glances at Bernadette...specifically during the "The ones who follow the rules...too busy to know that their fools."

But, there may not even be a rivalry

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#36Industry professionals giving shade to one another
Posted: 10/16/14 at 9:10pm

I knew the girl who Alice Ripley "threw shade to." The girl made an incredibly rude remark about Alice and she said she saw her (I believe) 8 times and I think she said something like "that was 7 times too many. Alice replied (I can't remember if this was through Facebook or Twitter, I think it's Facebook) that "this frustrated actor (I didn't say fag) is my new best friend!" Or something to that effect. She also went on saying thanks for looking down on people like her and people like her make her job difficult and that people like her are the opposite of a wonderful audience.

The whole thing was blown out of proportion. I don't think Alice meant any harm by the comment, she just didn't think about it before she typed it. The girl (who Alice mistook for a guy) found the entire thing funny when she told me about it. I also believe she told me Alice gave her a (very unneeded, IMO) apology.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#38Industry professionals giving shade to one another
Posted: 10/17/14 at 12:25am

What did Jermey Jordan say about Arthur Laurents?

And I'd like to know more about the "swing" scandal as well.

And Rapp and Sherie during RENT?

degrassifan
#39Industry professionals giving shade to one another
Posted: 10/17/14 at 12:44am

Yeah, shade is more subtle, while READING someone is what a lot of you guys are describing. To read someone is pretty much insulting them directly.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#40Industry professionals giving shade to one another
Posted: 10/17/14 at 12:50am

Yeah, wouldn't shade be more like if Patti were to make a comment about crying while singing and end it with "unlike some people..." where it would be obvious it was Bernadette Peters she was talking about, as opposed to calling out her crying explicitly?

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated
Updated On: 10/17/14 at 12:50 AM

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#41Industry professionals giving shade to one another
Posted: 10/17/14 at 1:25am

Am also interested to hear the Rubendall story. I saw him understudy Fiyero on the Wicked tour and he was good.

broadwayworldreader
#42Industry professionals giving shade to one another
Posted: 10/19/14 at 10:02am

Looks like some queens need to rewatch Paris is Burning for the definition of shade.

But what do I know: I'm just a drag queen.

Industry professionals giving shade to one another