pixeltracker

YCTIWY Reviews (Official)- Page 2

YCTIWY Reviews (Official)

mjohnson2 Profile Photo
mjohnson2
#26You Can't Take It With You Reviews (Official)
Posted: 9/28/14 at 11:58pm

Very happy to see positive reports for this!

Anything regarding shows stated by this account is an attempt to convey opinion and not fact.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#27You Can't Take It With You Reviews (Official)
Posted: 9/29/14 at 4:26am

So how many Tonys could this be up for in the spring?

Revival of a Play?
Leading Actor (James Earl Jones)?
Featured Actress (Annaleigh Ashford)?
Direction of a Play (Scott Ellis)?
Lighting Design (Donald Holder)?
Scenic Design (David Rockwell)?
Costume Design (Jane Greenwood)?

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#28You Can't Take It With You Reviews (Official)
Posted: 9/29/14 at 4:40am

It could be nominated for all the awards it is eligible for. You Can't Take It With You Reviews (Official)

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#29You Can't Take It With You Reviews (Official)
Posted: 9/29/14 at 5:54am

Hey, Mortiz..... it's not about you. Grow up and stop trying so hard.

Do you want a pat in the back for posting a link first? REALLY?

Punctuation is a wonderful thing, btw.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#30You Can't Take It With You Reviews (Official)
Posted: 9/29/14 at 7:09am

CurtainsUp, I don't think they register whether a show is a critics pick until the next day usually, for whatever reason. Maybe it'll be up there today!

ShakinBaconGirl Profile Photo
ShakinBaconGirl
#31You Can't Take It With You Reviews (Official)
Posted: 9/29/14 at 7:33am

Wow, Brantley REALLY liked Ashford.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#32You Can't Take It With You Reviews (Official)
Posted: 9/29/14 at 9:18am

Well Moritz Stiefe bit the dust quite fast. Poof and Gone. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Looking forward to seeing You Can't Take It With You. Saw the production in the 80s and loved that one also.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#33You Can't Take It With You Reviews (Official)
Posted: 9/29/14 at 9:58am

"I am slightly concerned that it may get the mysteriously tepid reception that the wonderful revival of DON'T DRESS FOR DINNER got a few years ago."

Don't Dress For Dinner deserved the notices it got. Aside from Spencer Kayden's truly wonderful performance, the production was ugly, amateurish, and unfunny.

And I'm glad to see this production getting the reviews it deserves, too. It's a wonderful, charming confection.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#34You Can't Take It With You Reviews (Official)
Posted: 9/29/14 at 4:02pm

Gosh, this production sounds like such a treat. Wish I could see it!

chanel
gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#36You Can't Take It With You Reviews (Official)
Posted: 9/29/14 at 11:12pm

Kristine Neilson and/or Rose Byrne could be put up for Lead Actress in a Play. But something tells me that this will be Annaleigh's year. She made me laugh harder than I ever have before.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#37You Can't Take It With You Reviews (Official)
Posted: 9/29/14 at 11:17pm

^Maybe she could win Featured Actress...

Updated On: 9/29/14 at 11:17 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#38You Can't Take It With You Reviews (Official)
Posted: 9/29/14 at 11:41pm

I'd be surprised if Nielsen or Byrne were nominated (though both are wonderful). Annaleigh Ashford, however, transcends the material and is easily the MVP of a very strong ensemble.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

#39You Can't Take It With You Reviews (Official)
Posted: 10/2/14 at 2:48pm

Saw Opening Night...Really liked it and think it will get better and better as it plays on...A Ashford will be a likely choice for Tony...It is a great show...Gonna have a chance for Revival Tony...Get lots of Noms...

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#40You Can't Take It With You Reviews (Official)
Posted: 10/2/14 at 3:20pm

Also managed to catch it yesterday, and I had a great time! The play itself is a little creaky, but it's well directed and the cast is (with the unfortunate exception of Elizabeth Ashley, who is saddled with the most unnecessary character) is across the board wonderful, with special mention to Kristine Nielsen, Annaleigh Ashford and Will Brill. I hope this production gets the audiences it deserves.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#41You Can't Take It With You Reviews (Official)
Posted: 10/5/14 at 10:07pm

Caught this on the Sat matinee. What an absolute delight! I was utterly charmed throughout. (Rather wish I saw this as my 2nd show of the day instead of the first!)

I hate when people say actors are wasted in small roles. THEY didn't feel they were beneath them -- and, obviously, believers that there are no small parts, only small actors. I LOVE seeing talented people in ALL roles.

Yes, I felt that JEJ was a bit awkward at times, and there were a few instances (not only his) of going up on lines, which surprised me.)

If you are still debating whether or not to see this, GO.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#42You Can't Take It With You Reviews (Official)
Posted: 10/6/14 at 12:01am

In the Times review there was a short clip from the show. Do any more of these exist? I would love to see one of Annaleigh's scenes again!

#43You Can't Take It With You Reviews (Official)
Posted: 10/6/14 at 1:00pm

it is definently a whole is greater than the sum of it's part show that should continue to get better. Must See...

mgldan
#44You Can't Take It With You Reviews (Official)
Posted: 10/11/14 at 4:37pm

At today's Saturday matinee, Rose Byrne was out sick, according to the ushers. Barrett Doss played Alice.

I was really looking forward to seeing Rose; she has gotten such great reviews in the role. On the other hand, I doubt this play would be worth a second viewing.

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#45You Can't Take It With You Reviews (Official)
Posted: 10/12/14 at 8:57am

I saw Saturday's matinee also. While Barrett Ross was very good, I couldn't help but think of the effect of having a black Alice with a lily white Tony. I'm all for color blind casting, and the fact that James Earl Jones is a black grandfather of an all white family didn't bother me. But when much of the plot is about Tony and Alice coming from two different backgrounds and Alice not being accepted by Tony's conservative family, it's kind of hard to ignore the glaring fact of their racial difference being a bigger obstacle that her zany family.

Also yesterday, Will Brill was out also, but his understudy was wonderfully dopey as Ed!

I know this play like the back of my hand, and it is undoubtedly the closest to a flawless production I could ever imagine.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#46You Can't Take It With You Reviews (Official)
Posted: 10/12/14 at 11:53am

Oh, I'm sorry to hear anyone missed Will Brill. His performance is one of the most fascinating in the show, absolutely inventive and a perfect foil for his much-appreciated spouse; they make beautiful music.

I would love to see an African-American Alice, only because JEJ is the only member of the family. But I was taken with Byrne.

By the way: someone else noted JEJ flubbing lines (last Saturday afternoon? That's when I saw it, 10/4) and it was duly noted, only because when he said "World War II" for "Spanish-American War" it took us out of the moment and the play. When he corrected himself, it drew more attention. It happens, however. I loved him in his set pieces -- both dinner prayers moved me to tears -- but found him somewhat muted at other times.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 10/12/14 at 11:53 AM