pixeltracker

MTC's Friedman Theatre- The Whitest Stage on Broadway- Page 2

MTC's Friedman Theatre- The Whitest Stage on Broadway

LarryD2
#25MTC's Friedman Theatre- The Whitest Stage on Broadway
Posted: 9/30/14 at 9:02pm

And the fact that GOOD PEOPLE was the last time an actor of color appeared on stage in that space (over three years ago) is shameful.

Last time I checked, Daniel Sunjata ain't white. And prior to that, Carra Patterson of WIT is African-American.

Updated On: 9/30/14 at 09:02 PM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#26MTC's Friedman Theatre- The Whitest Stage on Broadway
Posted: 9/30/14 at 9:45pm

^^ I guess these people saying that are simply overlooking me, and several other posters explaining to them that Mr. Sunjata is NOT white. Look at the photo OP, this thread is now moot.

Updated On: 9/30/14 at 09:45 PM

The Other One
#27MTC's Friedman Theatre- The Whitest Stage on Broadway
Posted: 9/30/14 at 10:38pm

If you don't like plays about white people don't go see them.

iluvtheatertrash
#28MTC's Friedman Theatre- The Whitest Stage on Broadway
Posted: 9/30/14 at 10:47pm

MTC is my favorite theatre company in NYC. Sorry you all feel this way... I have a lot of admiration for their productions.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#29MTC's Friedman Theatre- The Whitest Stage on Broadway
Posted: 10/1/14 at 8:07am

I'm stunned that people today are still so focused on race that they sit around looking and keeping a record of what races appear in any particular theatre. What a sad way to spend one's life.

carousel94 Profile Photo
carousel94
#30MTC's Friedman Theatre- The Whitest Stage on Broadway
Posted: 10/1/14 at 8:27am

James Earl Jones DID do Love Letters two years ago with Tyne Daly at Bucks County Playhouse. I actually don't think too many people cared that he didn't fit every aspect of the word WASP, he was a megawatt star bringing a character's words to life. They both were great.

jetcap
#31MTC's Friedman Theatre- The Whitest Stage on Broadway
Posted: 10/1/14 at 8:36am

Saw a production here and was flanked on either side by white folk, asked the usher to move me to an aisle seat so I would feel less shame.

iWannaBEaSedaris Profile Photo
iWannaBEaSedaris
#32MTC's Friedman Theatre- The Whitest Stage on Broadway
Posted: 10/1/14 at 9:16am

As long as we're being anecdotal, the preview of On The Town I saw last week featured ONE (1) non white audience member in the orchestra section.

In other news, this picture.

Theatre Demographics Updated On: 10/1/14 at 09:16 AM

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#33MTC's Friedman Theatre- The Whitest Stage on Broadway
Posted: 10/1/14 at 9:46am

I had heard Jones did LOVE LETTERS. Why not? I'm surprised we don't have more black Sally Bowles. I saw Uggams do it in stock back in the day, and she was quite intriguing. Of course, the vocals were too good by half. But she toned down her show-stopping-ness was electric and gorgeous.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#34MTC's Friedman Theatre- The Whitest Stage on Broadway
Posted: 10/1/14 at 9:59am

The fact that less than a handful of non-Caucasian people have been on stage since Good People isn't the point that's being made though. As a non-profit (and in a sadly ideal world), MTC should be taking risks that the average commercial Broadway theatre won't. This includes producing plays about people of color. That's not to say that it's absolutely wrong to put on plays focusing exclusively on white people, but the issue is that doing so is all MTC really does. Because the theatre doesn't have to worry about the risks of commercial Broadway producing, it should be presenting programming that is far broader in scope than it is. And its a shame that instead the plays they pick, with some exceptions, are relatively safe pieces that virtually don't focus on the experiences of people who aren't white.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#35MTC's Friedman Theatre- The Whitest Stage on Broadway
Posted: 10/1/14 at 10:05am

If I've learned anything from this thread it's that white people should be ashamed of themselves and are disgusting people who don't deserve to be on a stage, let alone out alone on the streets. I'm so disgusted with white people for being white. I'm going to go and write a lot more faux outrage about white people so people will think I'm not a racist even though I never gave anyone reason to think that I was one.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#36MTC's Friedman Theatre- The Whitest Stage on Broadway
Posted: 10/1/14 at 10:22am

"I'm stunned that people today are still so focused on race [...]"

How can you possibly be stunned, when race continues to be a major cultural issue in the country?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#37MTC's Friedman Theatre- The Whitest Stage on Broadway
Posted: 10/1/14 at 10:33am

I'm stunned that people today are still so focused on race that they sit around looking and keeping a record of what races appear in any particular theatre. What a sad way to spend one's life.

You sound white.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#38MTC's Friedman Theatre- The Whitest Stage on Broadway
Posted: 10/1/14 at 10:51am

'How can you possibly be stunned, when race continues to be a major cultural issue in the country?'

I'd amend that to be 'THE major cultural issue in the country'. And it has been since before the founding of this country.

It's not like there are black men, women and children being gunned down with little to no consequences for the shooter. Maybe we'll get a play about it some day. But it probably won't be on or near 47th Street.

Liza's Headband
#39MTC's Friedman Theatre- The Whitest Stage on Broadway
Posted: 10/1/14 at 10:54am

I would argue that oppression of minorities, which does include racial bigotry, is the major cultural issue. Not race alone.

Brick
#40MTC's Friedman Theatre- The Whitest Stage on Broadway
Posted: 10/1/14 at 11:17am

The easiest argument supporting this claim is every attempt to disprove it:

-"Why does everything have to be about race?"
-"What about gay people?"
-"There's one person of color on their stage now."

It's okay, no one is saying MTC doesn't do wonderful productions. MTC deserves all their success. They do very lovely work. Very lovely work.

...It just happens to usually be about wealthy white people.

Updated On: 10/1/14 at 11:17 AM

Jonwo
#41MTC's Friedman Theatre- The Whitest Stage on Broadway
Posted: 10/1/14 at 12:30pm

MTC and Roundabout have become complacent, MTC less so than Roundabout and I wonder if both would benefit from new leadership. The older white subscribers may be their core audience but they need to find the next generation of subscribers to replace the older subscribers and a new artistic director would and should shake things up.

Sutton Ross
#42MTC's Friedman Theatre- The Whitest Stage on Broadway
Posted: 10/1/14 at 3:31pm

"Has anyone noticed that with the opening of 'The Country House', it will have been over 2 years and 8 productions since a non Caucasian played the theatre in any on stage capacity? "

So, several posters have proved you wrong, iWannaBEaSedaris, yet you are still talking like we didn't. How strange.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#43MTC's Friedman Theatre- The Whitest Stage on Broadway
Posted: 10/1/14 at 4:02pm

Yes, with the revelation that Daniel Sunjata was in a production, MTC can now be considered a veritable theatrical rainbow coalition.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#44MTC's Friedman Theatre- The Whitest Stage on Broadway
Posted: 10/1/14 at 4:02pm

Anything to get Sutton Ross to STFU.

AHTC
#45MTC's Friedman Theatre- The Whitest Stage on Broadway
Posted: 10/1/14 at 4:03pm

This was 6 years ago, but they gave us a platform for one of the best performances I've ever seen (Merkerson in COME BACK, LITTLE SHEBA)

Sutton Ross
#46MTC's Friedman Theatre- The Whitest Stage on Broadway
Posted: 10/1/14 at 4:07pm

"Yes, with the revelation that Daniel Sunjata was in a production, MTC can now be considered a veritable theatrical rainbow coalition."

That's not what I'm saying, but the op said something completely false, and it was important to let them know that.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#47MTC's Friedman Theatre- The Whitest Stage on Broadway
Posted: 10/1/14 at 4:09pm

[Eye Roll Gif]

Liza's Headband
Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#49MTC's Friedman Theatre- The Whitest Stage on Broadway
Posted: 10/1/14 at 4:19pm

You said this thread was "moot" despite the fact the topic had broadened significantly.