pixeltracker

Deadline says Jeremy Jordan gone….- Page 3

Deadline says Jeremy Jordan gone….

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#50Deadline says Jeremy Jordan gone?.
Posted: 9/30/14 at 10:17pm

Oh, I'm sure Harvey is loving the whole thing.
Love love love that some people on this board think THE LAST 5 YEARS will turn Jordan into a massive star, bless your hearts. I don't think Jordan is any more interesting than Morrison (though perhaps his performance in THE LAST 5 YEARS will change my mind), whom I adore on THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA cast recording, but who doesn't do much for me otherwise. It'd be pretty funny if it ended up being someone random like Jason Danieley.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Jarethan
#51Deadline says Jeremy Jordan gone?.
Posted: 10/1/14 at 12:03am

RCWR, I loved the show too...saw it twice and absolutely loved it both times, as did the audience. I wonder how many of the people being so bitchy here and on other posts have actually seen the show.

Re Morrison, I think he'd be fine, although I don't think his voice is as strong as Jordan's. it will be interesting to see what happens. If it is about publicity, I guess that is okay if it helps the show's fortunes...I personally think it deserves to be a hit.

nsguy45 Profile Photo
nsguy45
#52Deadline says Jeremy Jordan gone?.
Posted: 10/1/14 at 9:40pm

Those of you who proclaimed Matthew Morrison a "major television star" and "internationally known" had me laughing out loud. Having seen the show, I can tell you that Jeremy Jordan was superb as Barrie in a highly physical role that I cannot see Matthew Morrison performing as well. That said, I do believe that Jeremy will be replaced for the Broadway production, which will be a shame. Michael McGrath was also excellent as Hook and he was fired prior to the ART production closing last Sunday, with Kelsey Grammer rumored to replace him on Broadway.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#53Deadline says Jeremy Jordan gone?.
Posted: 10/1/14 at 10:30pm

"Those of you who proclaimed Matthew Morrison a "major television star" and "internationally known" had me laughing out loud."

He is both those things whether anyone likes it or not though. He is on a major network and Glee is huge internationally. Facts.

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#54Deadline says Jeremy Jordan gone?.
Posted: 10/1/14 at 10:41pm

But for anyone to know that Matt is from Glee, they'll have to have a poster of him dressed as Will with the billing "With the star of Glee!". Like when Jane Lynch was in Annie billed as Sue (wearing a gym suit and all).

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#55Deadline says Jeremy Jordan gone?.
Posted: 10/1/14 at 10:47pm

Deadline says Jeremy Jordan gone?.

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#56Deadline says Jeremy Jordan gone?.
Posted: 10/1/14 at 11:14pm

nsguy45, I thought Michael McGrath was fantastic as Frohman/Hook. Where did you find out that they let him go? I didn't know that any casting -- or letting people go -- had been officially announced yet.

Back Row
#57Deadline says Jeremy Jordan gone?.
Posted: 10/2/14 at 12:02am

I also heard the rumor that McGrath had been told some time ago that he would not be in the Broadway cast. As far as Jordan goes, the bizarre decision to have Jennifer Hudson perform at the Tonys in his place seems to indicate that Weinstein was reluctant to present Jordan as the face of the show even at that early date. In retrospect, when you also take into account Kelsey Grammer's statement some months ago that he was going to be in a Harvey Weinstein musical in 2015, it appears that some of these casting decisions had been made long before the A.R.T. run. Given Weinstein's track record, it might be a good idea for Laura Michelle Kelly to look over her shoulder for any recent American Idol finalists who might be lurking in the shadows. How is Kat McPhee's British accent, anyway? Or Lea Michele's?

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#58Deadline says Jeremy Jordan gone?.
Posted: 10/2/14 at 1:18am

Jennifer Hudson Will be playing J.M Barrie on Broadway.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#59Deadline says Jeremy Jordan gone?.
Posted: 10/2/14 at 1:45am

I wouldn't say is a "major television star," he is a television star. But he is definitely known internationally, not a huge name like Jennifer Aniston, but GLEE probably does even better abroad than it does here, and international audiences at least would recognize him. No international audience would recognize Jordan, it's the truth, deal with it. Like I said, I don't think that means Morrison can make this show a hit, but Harvey's decision makes complete sense from a business standpoint.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Sunny11
#60Deadline says Jeremy Jordan gone?.
Posted: 10/2/14 at 1:57am

Considering that on Glee Matthew performed Donald o Connors Make em Laugh ( including back flip off a wall) and Fred Astaire's You are all the world to me ( in a rotating room) I am more than sure that he will be able to handle the physical demands of Barrie. He was Hairsprays Link Larkin too which was a dance heavy energetic role.

Updated On: 10/2/14 at 01:57 AM

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#61Deadline says Jeremy Jordan gone?.
Posted: 10/2/14 at 6:30am

Those who care about the project should stop worrying about Morrison and do a little fretting about Kelsey Grammar. I saw his Sweeney Todd and he sang off-key for nearly the entire evening. Cast members told me his"work ethic was what they called "TV", not theater, and he had trouble putting together a consistent performance.

Of course, that was back in the 1990s. Maybe he's brilliant now and the role of Hook isn't quite as demanding.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#62Deadline says Jeremy Jordan gone?.
Posted: 10/2/14 at 8:36am

Kind of funny, because Kelsey Grammar was actually my first choice to play Captain Hook for NBC.

Back Row
#63Deadline says Jeremy Jordan gone?.
Posted: 10/2/14 at 9:07am

Morrison is a dancer. Jordan can dance when he's asked to, but admits that he is not a dancer. I don't think that was the point regarding the physical nature of the role. Barrie is on stage for virtually the entire show. It is a physically and vocally demanding role. Eight times a week. It goes without saying that Jordan, in his third physically taxing leading role, is more accustomed to that kind of grind than Morrison might be after some featured roles on Broadway and six years on a TV show. I think any actor would have some difficulty with it, but especially one who is not accustomed to the workload.

nsguy45 Profile Photo
nsguy45
#64Deadline says Jeremy Jordan gone?.
Posted: 10/2/14 at 11:18am

Finding Neverland closed at the ART in Cambridge on Sunday, September 28th. For the last week of the run, Michael McGrath was replaced in his dual role by Thayne Jasperson, who had been playing Barrie's dog. At an evening performance during the final week, a friend of mine sat two rows away from Kelsey Grammer, who had flown in to see the show and has been rumored to play Hook once the show reaches Broadway. Just for the record, Laura Osnes and her husband sat in front of me at the September 11th performance, but I'm sure she was only there as a friend of Jeremy. The role of Barrie in the show is quite physical. Jeremy was running up and down/jumping from a ladder in one dance number, as well as being tossed around the stage from one group of dancers to another in a different dance number, sweating profusely after each. As for whether or not Matthew Morrison is considered an international star, how many of his international fans do you suppose will hop a plane for NYC and purchase tickets?

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#65Deadline says Jeremy Jordan gone?.
Posted: 10/2/14 at 11:37am

You people never know, The Last 5 Years very well may be a huge success. Its a great story for godsake, and its coming out in February so all the couples can go see it for Valentine's Day. As far as Morrison goes, something about his face just makes me want to smack it!! I feel like he won't be as good as Jordan, and fail, but who knows. And if Harvey is so interested in getting a big star for the show, why isn't he also looking at famous girls who would do it? Im sure he could find a well known movie star who would love to be in a Broadway musical. OMG if he doesn't go on Broadway with this show, i really hope he does Ever After!!! I didn't know Ashley Spencer was involved. Anyone know if Sierra Boggess is still attached?

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

hanabana
#66Deadline says Jeremy Jordan gone?.
Posted: 10/2/14 at 11:47am

While I like both Jeremy Jordan and Matthew Morrison and think they both have great voices, I prefer to see Jeremy Jordan back on Broadway. I saw him in West Side Story and Newsies, and loved his stage presence. He is a great actor, and quite the singer. I never saw Matthew Morrison perform live, but from what I've heard on cast recordings and what I've seen, I think he will do a great job as well.

As far as The Last 5 Years goes, I hope it will be a success and that Jeremy Jordan will have some recognition. But I doubt it would be a hit because of Valentine's Day - it's not exactly what I'd imagine lovers would want to see on Valentine's Day, if you know what I mean...

Back Row
#67Deadline says Jeremy Jordan gone?.
Posted: 10/2/14 at 12:01pm

"And if Harvey is so interested in getting a big star for the show, why isn't he also looking at famous girls who would do it? "

We don't know that he's not. According to Instagram, Laura Michelle Kelly is currently vacationing with Jordan and his wife and other close friends in Florida, so whatever is going on, neither of them appears to be overly concerned about it. A big name female co-star would seem to be the next Weinsteinesque move, though.

decast
#68Deadline says Jeremy Jordan gone?.
Posted: 10/2/14 at 12:13pm

Harvey will do anything he has to to sell that show, we all know that, but I don't know if Morrison is the way to do it so I wouldn't be surprised if he's got some bigger name female lead up his sleeve.
Incidentally, if the Last Five Years if released around Valentine's Day it's going to be competing with 50 Shades of Grey so even getting publicity in all the crap that's going to surround that will be a nightmare.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#69Deadline says Jeremy Jordan gone?.
Posted: 10/2/14 at 12:15pm

I wonder if he's courting Anne Hathaway. This show is a mess offstage from what I've been told by people connected.

IMO, anyone leaving might be getting out while the going's good.

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#70Deadline says Jeremy Jordan gone?.
Posted: 10/2/14 at 12:52pm

nsguy45, I saw the matinee show on Sept 20, and Michael McGrath was in; my friend saw the evening show that same day (Sept 20, the Saturday beforre closing weekend), and McGrath did the first half (up to intermission), after which he was replaced by Paul Slade Smith, the tall skinny guy from the ensemble who usually plays Mr Henshaw. Doesn't stopping at at intermission imply lost voice / injury / illness more than anything else? My friend says that at the end of Act 1 on Sept 20, McGrath was carely audible during "Hook" and "Stronger," as if his voice had gone out.

I also saw the show Tuesday the 23rd, and Paul Slade Smith again played Frohman/Hook. So if Thayne Jasperson played that role, he didn't do it the whole week McGrath was out; he shared it with Paul Slade Smith.

downhillskier
#71Deadline says Jeremy Jordan gone?.
Posted: 10/2/14 at 1:14pm

McGrath was in the show Saturday evening, September 27th.

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#72Deadline says Jeremy Jordan gone?.
Posted: 10/2/14 at 1:20pm

And McGrath did the closing show, Sunday Sept 28.

getatme
#73Deadline says Jeremy Jordan gone?.
Posted: 10/2/14 at 1:59pm

Furthermore, Thayne Jasperson is not listed as an understudy for Hook in the program.

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#74Deadline says Jeremy Jordan gone?.
Posted: 10/2/14 at 2:04pm

Exactly. Paul Slade Smith and Rory Donovan were the understudies for Frohman/Hook. It's very hard for me to believe that Thayne Jasperson played Frohman/Hook at all.

It's also very hard for me to believe that Michael McGrath would sing at a barely audible level for two songs at the end of Act 1 (Sept 20 evening) -- and then remove himself from that performance -- unless he had absolutely no choice. His voice went out.

Videos