pixeltracker

American Horror Story: Freak Show Thoughts?- Page 2

American Horror Story: Freak Show Thoughts?

FindingNamo
#25American Horror Story: Freak Show Thoughts?
Posted: 10/9/14 at 1:25pm

to my mother, and dog and clowns

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#26American Horror Story: Freak Show Thoughts?
Posted: 10/9/14 at 1:33pm

Did we all watch the 'This season on American Horror Story' clips?

Cause that poor small woman being (SPOILER) put in a large glass container and having water poured on her to seemingly drown her was HORRIFYING!

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#27American Horror Story: Freak Show Thoughts?
Posted: 10/9/14 at 1:38pm

I will cry if that happens. Ugly cry.

For the love of God, leave that poor woman alone and go get Emma Roberts. Updated On: 10/9/14 at 01:38 PM

FindingNamo
#28American Horror Story: Freak Show Thoughts?
Posted: 10/9/14 at 2:02pm

I loved that little clip. And Frances Conroy. And a character named Dandy.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#29American Horror Story: Freak Show Thoughts?
Posted: 10/9/14 at 3:30pm

This was a horrible show. Just pretty much awful in almost every conceivable way. Ryan Murphy has proven again (as if he needed to) that he has no understanding of the genre he named his show after. He doesn't understand set up, suspense or that just playing loud music over a scene where nothing is happening isn't going to make that scene scary.

And Kathy Bates doing her John Travolta "Hairspray" accent is going to drive me crazy. At least Tatenclaw is still HOT.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#30American Horror Story: Freak Show Thoughts?
Posted: 10/9/14 at 3:39pm

Girl don't be a buzz kill.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Miranda3
#31American Horror Story: Freak Show Thoughts?
Posted: 10/9/14 at 3:39pm

Dame and Whizzer: I have the same sound issues. Started watching last night on my "good" TV in the living room. Thought something was wrong with it (or me) when I couldn't hear, so went to the lesser TV in the bedroom and the sound issues were the same. Thought it had to do with the surround sound being on or off, but it doesn't.

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#32American Horror Story: Freak Show Thoughts?
Posted: 10/9/14 at 3:45pm

Jordan, I often agree with your critiques, but in this case, I think you're way off the mark. I thought much of it was quite excellent, and pitch-perfect in tone. Watch it again. Maybe it'll grow on you. Also watch or re-watch the 1932 movie FREAKS, which much of this season pays homage to. That's the look and feel, I think, Murphy is going for. There's all kinds of horror. Nothing about last night's episode made me jump, or frightened me in that kind of way. If that's the kind of horror you're looking for, then maybe what Murphy is dishing out just isn't your cup of tea.

pli1018
#33American Horror Story: Freak Show Thoughts?
Posted: 10/9/14 at 4:08pm

I really wish that musical performance would've been re-orchestrated accordingly, not to mention I could've done without the autotune and Glee-style cinematography. The video game Bioshock: Infinite did an incredible job adding anachronistic music into their turn-of-the-century setting in the sky. I think it would have made that scene land better.

Jordan Catalano
#34American Horror Story: Freak Show Thoughts?
Posted: 10/9/14 at 4:13pm

To be fair to this season, it has possibilities. I just think the setup was very poorly executed.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#35American Horror Story: Freak Show Thoughts?
Posted: 10/9/14 at 4:39pm

I mean Ryan Murphy will never be a good writer or a good director, he's awful and has zero sense of subtlety. But he sure knows how to have fun with the show and the actors, which is what I like about the series (post-season 1which I really didn't like). And can we please rejoice about the fact Lily Rabes isn't listed in the opening credits even if we still have Emma Roberts to deal with? I thought it was hella fun, with Sarah Paulson continuing to be MVP in my book and Lange turning in some of the most fun and refreshingingly unaffected work of her career. The ensemble is great and Evan Peters can fvck me whenever he wants. Cannot wait for Angela Bassett!

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
Updated On: 10/9/14 at 04:39 PM

Jordan Catalano
#36American Horror Story: Freak Show Thoughts?
Posted: 10/9/14 at 4:42pm

WHY IS EVAN PETERS SO HOT?!??!?

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#37American Horror Story: Freak Show Thoughts?
Posted: 10/9/14 at 6:45pm

Im surprised Jordan, i know you are a huge horror fan like me and i have to say i thought everything about this first episode was perfect in execution. I thought Murphy shot it with flair/style and a great understanding of what makes this genre so great. The performances were outstanding and the look of the show was beautiful. They do need to sort out the sound though, at times the volume on people speaking is so low i feel like im lip reading. Far far far better than last seasons opener.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

FindingNamo
#38American Horror Story: Freak Show Thoughts?
Posted: 10/9/14 at 9:11pm

I was so satisfied with that episode that to me it's a perfect stand-alone work. And so Hedwiggy in so many ways. In fact, I feel as if the episode was specifically designed for every loser/misfit/weirdo of the '70s because it pushed so many pleasure buttons.

I don't care if the entire rest of Freak Show goes in the toilet. We will ALWAYS have Jessica doing Life on Mars? with a German accent and an audience of two.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#39American Horror Story: Freak Show Thoughts?
Posted: 10/9/14 at 9:42pm

"
I thought the premiere of Freak Show was a vast improvement over Coven. Sarah Paulson was excellent, and it looks like she's positioned to be our lead protagonists too. "

I agree Whizzer--it's nice to see you chime in on a cable tv show while it airs.

And I also have the same issue with sound on FX shows--I assumed it was a problem with FXCanada (which airs FX primetime programming but largely crappy Canadian content in the daytime.) I guess not?

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#41American Horror Story: Freak Show Thoughts?
Posted: 10/9/14 at 11:12pm

American Horror Story: Freak Show Thoughts?

Though i must say his nipple looks really low in this picture (Like, completely facing down). LOL

Darreyl with an L!
Updated On: 10/9/14 at 11:12 PM

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#42American Horror Story: Freak Show Thoughts?
Posted: 10/10/14 at 12:19am

^^^^Maybe it's like a Ouija Pointer- Down for yes Up for no.

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#43American Horror Story: Freak Show Thoughts?
Posted: 10/10/14 at 4:56am

I wonder if by having Grace Gummer (Peppermint Girl) guest star these last two seasons, he is trying to get her mother MERYL STREEP interested in doing a season.

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#44American Horror Story: Freak Show Thoughts?
Posted: 10/10/14 at 8:01am

Well, Grace has been booking a lot of TV work recently. I quite liked her as the Peppermint Girl, she was very good in the atrocious unwatchable EXTANT in the summer too. It'd be interesting to see Streep though, the only kind of TV work she's done (apart from a voice in THE SIMPSONS and an appearance in the online series WEB THERAPY which aired as a TV episode on Showtime) is miniseries, so maybe she'd be interested in something like this. I'd be more interested to see Glenn Close do an arc, I think she'd be terrific in the show.
Also, can I just reiterate how fantastic Sarah Paulson is? She draws both of her characters perfectly, giving each of them a very specific personality. I'm so happy she's a co-lead this season, I liked her in COVEN, but this character seems far more interesting.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#45American Horror Story: Freak Show Thoughts?
Posted: 10/10/14 at 11:09am

There are several characters inspired by "Freaks".

Pepper (although she has a different name) and her friend are. Also the Geek, who wears bird-like costumes.

I LOVE Sarah Paulson!!! So this is going be great!!!

Is Lily Rabe returning?!? If so, lets hope she gets something better than that awful swamp witch from last season.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#46American Horror Story: Freak Show Thoughts?
Posted: 10/10/14 at 12:39pm

I'm wondering if the sound issues with FX are solely for people watching thru directv? Whom do I write?

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Gorlois Profile Photo
Gorlois
#47American Horror Story: Freak Show Thoughts?
Posted: 10/10/14 at 12:57pm

I don't think it has anything to do with directv. I have Dish and I've watched the episode on two different HD TVs in my house. On the little Emerson, a lot of the dialogue in the early scenes was unintelligible. On our large LG, the dialogue was clear as a bell.

Miranda3
#48American Horror Story: Freak Show Thoughts?
Posted: 10/10/14 at 1:01pm

Dame: I don't think the sound issues are exclusively related to Direct TV. I have Cox cable and watched the first episode on one newish HD TV and on one elderly TV. The sound issues were the same on both. I don't watch FX enough otherwise to remember if the sound issues affected other FX programs too.

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#49American Horror Story: Freak Show Thoughts?
Posted: 10/10/14 at 2:02pm

This pilot was better than any episode of COVEN. Hopefully we're back on track with the genius that was ASYLUM.

Thanks for clarifying Bates's Baltimore accent. I thought it was Irish.