The Last Ship Lasting

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#100The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/4/14 at 3:11pm

I would agree too. Phantom of the Opera is obviously a huge hit, but I wouldn't say it's mainly a women's musical. I know plenty of straight dudes who love it and have seen it multiple times.

Meap
#101The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/8/14 at 11:50pm

Saw this tonight...well the first act at least. I went in with very low expectations due to the comments here. Sadly the show didn't even meet those expectations.

massofmen
#102The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/9/14 at 9:21am

so it will close Jan 10th

martianman2
#103The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/9/14 at 11:14am

Not really surprised if its true.Plenty of discounts and discount codes around. Even the show themselves are promoting them. A rushed cast album and not great capacity. Even with all the PR in the last couple of weeks it still isn't selling. It's interesting they are pushing the love triangle angle not the shipbuilding side of the show. Mixed reviews and mixed word of mouth dont help either. It has a good cast but I found the show and score disappointing.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#104The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/9/14 at 2:20pm

"so it will close Jan 10th"

If you're going to offer rectally-derived knowledge as factual information, could you at least have the sense to make your imaginary date land on a Sunday?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#105The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/9/14 at 3:11pm

For what it is worth, no mention of the show closing on its website.

Jan 4 th or 11 th would make more sense if true. No mention on BWW officially so right now I guess it just a rumor. If it happened would not be surprised. I feel sorry for the cast but even though I enjoyed it I no longer get attached to any show like I used to.

Another opening - another closing - Apologies to Cole Porter

Poster Emeritus

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#106The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/9/14 at 4:40pm

The 1/10/15 date to which you refer does not rise to the level of a rumor. A rumor has some marginal tethering to reality; this date is (as elegantly described below) rectally-derived. It is no more than any person's inexplicable assertion that some event about which they have no information is going to transpire. Viz, the Yankees are going to win the world series in 2015. (Oh and BTW, they definitely will.)

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#107The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/9/14 at 6:51pm

Well Huss417 that was a complete 360.

martianman2
massofmen
#109The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/10/14 at 9:03am

my closing date was a joke. Jees. But it will close in Jan unless sting decides to keep it open throwing 100k a week at it.

Updated On: 11/10/14 at 09:03 AM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#110The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/10/14 at 9:22am

Really funny - not

Poster Emeritus

neonlightsxo
#111The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/10/14 at 9:43am

That Daily News article is just a reiteration of what Riedel wrote last week. No new information, and also false information about the dancing & singing outside the theater being a publicity stunt. It's part of the traditional Saturday Night Scream between the Wilson Theater and the Simon.

I do hope Sting decides to step in for Jimmy Nail. I think that would be a great choice.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#112The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/10/14 at 9:47am

mass-it did not sound like a joke when you wrote it. I don't think throwing 100k at it solves the problem, though I do think adding Sting to the cast does. As I have said before, this show has very experienced and very well-heeled producers who, if the problem can be solved (and that includes lining up Sting to bring his status to bear as well as deferring/giving up his royalties), they will solve it. As things are stacking up, the Tony for best score is certainly not out of the question, and Sting may well find that of more interest than money. I think the bottom line here remains a huge "we don't know" which is why your predictions (whether the one you now tell us was a joke or the one you proffer in its place) are so vapid.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#113The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/10/14 at 9:56am

If Sting's schedule permits, his appearance in the show for the slow 3 months and for word of mouth to build would help immensely.

Poster Emeritus

Replacement Cast Profile Photo
Replacement Cast
#114The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/10/14 at 10:25am

I sat across from John Corbett and Bo Derek Friday night. They seemed to like it. The Last Ship Lasting Maybe they'll tell their friends!

I actually liked it -- not loved it -- but I'm not sure why I liked it. It had a number of moments. I don't see a long run but I hope it gets at least a year.

Nice is different than good.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#115The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/10/14 at 11:52am

You have to applaud Sting if he does join the cast. Unlike other "Rockstar" composers he is extremely hands on and cares more about the show then he does the paycheck. It does help that he has a net worth of $395 Million, but he clearly believes in the piece and wants to get the maximum number of people to see it. It says a lot that he is willing to go to bat to keep the show alive. In my mind it is more impressive that if reports are true, that he is forgoing his royalty completely for a standard lead salary. Although I am not a fan for Motown, I must say, Mr. Gordy could learn a thing or two from Sting when it comes to the humbleness and humanity department.

As I said in the original post, I did not fall head over heals in love with the show, but something about it called to me. His score is indeed magical, and I wouldn't be surprised if he wins the Tony come June.

Updated On: 11/10/14 at 11:52 AM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#116The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/10/14 at 11:58am

Sting has a few bucks

Now we have to look for his wine.

Poster Emeritus

WildBlue22
#117The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/10/14 at 12:43pm

I, too, think it would be great if Sting joins the cast. From what I've read and seen, it seems like he's truly passionate about this show and I'll bet that would really show in his performance. That would really be something to see. I might have to a third time!

I also like that they're pushing the 'love story' side of things now, too. I saw that they performed 'When We Dance' on the Today show on Friday and then again today on The View, and it just presents a different angle of the show that might appeal to a wide group of people (namely, the ladies).

neonlightsxo
#118The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/10/14 at 12:56pm

They did "When We Dance" again today? Good, catering to that audience. The ticket buying audience.

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#119The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/10/14 at 1:01pm

While I think it's great Sting is so active in trying to keep this production going, I can't help but feel it may be a lost cause at this point. Let the ship sink!

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#120The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/10/14 at 1:03pm

Bdn-I think Jeanine Tesori and Lisa Kron may win best score for Fun Home (Sting will get the nod, but I think they're going to win).

neonlightsxo
#121The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/10/14 at 1:13pm

It's certainly not a "lost cause" at this point. The holidays haven't happened yet. Gentleman's Guide was called a lost cause last year too.

WildBlue22
#122The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/10/14 at 1:21pm

Agreed. I think they picked a tough week to open, but there's still a very good chance it could bounce back and surprise everyone! Maybe it will, maybe it won't. Here's hoping.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#123The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/10/14 at 1:26pm

Posts like Dobson are reasons why I am happy distancing myself and not getting behind shows. Instead of fighting for shows we have people actively championing their demise.

Very very sad.

Poster Emeritus

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#124The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/10/14 at 1:26pm

I wonder how the operating costs for this compare to Gentleman's Guide. The other consideration is that a ton of shows are opening in the next few months and this will have to compete with them for audience members. I am not sure how it will play out (I think Gentleman's Guide was a much better show-they had critic's pick reviews to ride).