pixeltracker

SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!- Page 2

SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#25SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 11/9/14 at 10:44am

I should have known! Surely you would have been front and centre- and glorious!

MVintheheartland
#26SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 11/9/14 at 11:27am

I love the Cafe Edison. When I have stayed at the Edison Hotel, I always ate breakfast there (at the counter). Best seat in the house.

Bummed if it closes.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#27SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 11/9/14 at 3:31pm

Howard Johnson's

The last bastion of plastic food

Tad's

The House Of Gristle

Poster Emeritus

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Replacement Cast Profile Photo
Replacement Cast
#29SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 11/10/14 at 10:28am

You can also sign a petition at the cashier stand. That place is always busy. Where will we go next? Sad.

Nice is different than good.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#30SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 11/10/14 at 10:32am

The Tablet is prematurely sitting shiva for the Edison. Nevertheless, it's a good article.
TABLET: Sitting Shiva for the Polish Tea Room

mamaleh
#31SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 11/10/14 at 12:30pm

I hope for some last-minute reprieve or other miracle that will save a true NY gem. Definitely my favorite dining spot before a show, especially for comfort food: blintzes, matzoh ball soup and cabbage soup. Ahhhh.

Pammylicious Profile Photo
Pammylicious
#32SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 11/10/14 at 12:57pm

Has anyone been to the Westway since they reopened? Has the menu become less dinerish and have prices skyrocketed. I liked it the way it was before and they had to go upscale it.

Updated On: 11/10/14 at 12:57 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#33SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 11/10/14 at 1:58pm

All signs of old NY must be stamped out. Tourists must be welcomed by glass & glitz & screw character & tradition of the old NY.

Poster Emeritus

KathyNYC2
#34SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 11/10/14 at 2:05pm

I asked about signing the petition at the restaurant yesterday but they prefer it on line if at all possible, so all the names are in one place.

ILuv2shop531
#35SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 11/10/14 at 2:20pm

Pammylicious, I was at Westway this past week. I don't really think much changed post renovation, I just think the booths and tables were re done. Had an amazing bowl of matza ball soup for just $3.50, I think that's pretty great for midtown.

Pammylicious
#36SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 11/10/14 at 2:25pm

That's good to hear about Westway. I guess this will be the go to spot if Cafe Edison has to close.

CTNYC2 Profile Photo
CTNYC2
#37SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 11/10/14 at 3:33pm

So sad. I've been doing to the Cafe since it opened - a respite from the insanity of the theater district, especially after a drive into the city, particularly in the winter months. Please sign the petition and help reverse another loss of old NYC...

Life is a cabernet.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#38SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 11/10/14 at 3:40pm

All signs of old NY must be stamped out. Tourists must be welcomed by glass & glitz & screw character & tradition of the old NY.

You need to be more specific. Which "old NY"? Every generation has made the same complaint.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#39SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 11/10/14 at 4:01pm

Every generation has made the same complaint, but there's something distinctly creepy going on in NYC, similar to (but not identical to) what's going on in San Francisco.

Middle-class people, young and old combined, and minorities, are being squeezed out of the Village, Chelsea, Hell's Kitchen, the Upper West Side, even Harlem and Washington Heights.

Add to that the homogenization of retail by chains forcing out individual businesses, and you end up with a loss of the very individualism, ingenuity, entrepreneurship and creativity that have always made New York...well, New York

In New York, it's foreign money building upscale glass towers that house pieds a terre for people who don't even live here. In San Francisco, it's the tech industries chasing ethnic groups and young people out of the city. Different issues but the same net result: the overpowering blandness of money ruling.

It's not the same as it's always been. It's changing the essential quality and character of the city. For the worse.

Updated On: 11/10/14 at 04:01 PM

CTNYC2 Profile Photo
CTNYC2
#40SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 11/10/14 at 4:06pm

Well said, PalJoey. Slowly but surely, our country is becoming one giant shopping mall filled with chain restaurants and big box stores. It's sad enough this happens in the suburbs, but when it is happening in NYC, it's horrendous.

Life is a cabernet.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#41SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 11/10/14 at 5:55pm

"That's good to hear about Westway. I guess this will be the go to spot if Cafe Edison has to close."

I really enjoy the Westway- has a lot of sentimental assoc for me w a now deceased friend.

Do you know if they lease or own their site? It would make a difference when the gentrification push comes.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#42SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 11/10/14 at 5:57pm

As a Seinfeld fan, the Westway is way more historic, since that is where Jerry and Larry David first met to discuss doing a TV show together.

Pammylicious
#43SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 11/10/14 at 6:07pm

I assumed since they just put so much into renovations, Westway either owns the property or just signed a very long term lease, which will make it safe for at least 20 years.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#44SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 12/2/14 at 4:46pm

According to Jeremiah Moss of Jeremiah's Vanishing New York and the Facebook Save the Cafe Edison page:

Something big is brewing for this week...stay tuned.
FACEBOOK: Save Cafe Edison

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#45SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 12/18/14 at 11:45am

It is closing this weekend. SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!! I was in there last night after seeing Side Show and now regret it being only the 2nd time I've been there. And now that I recall, it was the only place in Times Square where one of the waiters had a real conversation with me when they weren't busy. It was very busy last night though. I mean they had to seat me at one of the smaller tables that get pushed together for larger parties with other people at the other 2, but it was fine. I actually did talk to those people about theater a little. It actually started because I had my playbill on my table when I got there. And it definitely is something I will remember and love for the rest of my life. Again, no other restaurant experience I've had in NY can compare.

I do hope that they can find another spot in the city to reopen. I still can't believe what they want to do to that place. The crowd in there makes me hope the new plan is a mistake. I know I probably won't return if it is too upscale and expensive. That's not me putting those kinds of restaurants down, but it isn't the kind of place I search for alone after the theater, if that makes sense.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

mamaleh
#46SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 12/19/14 at 10:37am

Had what might have been my final bowl of matzoh ball soup last night at Cafe Edison. Favorite waiter "Manik" (spelling?) and I chatted, and I expressed my hope that the place can reopen elsewhere. If I can get back Sunday, it'll be cabbage soup and maybe some latkes for Chanukah. What a loss for the community. Personally, after many years of visits to the cafe, I will greatly miss it.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#47SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 12/19/14 at 10:42am

It would be cool if a bunch of us got together there for dinner before it closes.

Javi Profile Photo
Javi
#48SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!
Posted: 12/20/14 at 4:47am

Is it really closing this weekend? Damn, I don't get to New York till Monday. I was hoping for a visit before it closed. SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!