pixeltracker

Donna Murphy to lead as Norma Desmond in SUNSET BOULEVARD reading, a possible revival?- Page 3

Donna Murphy to lead as Norma Desmond in SUNSET BOULEVARD reading, a possible revival?

ChrisTyler12882 Profile Photo
ChrisTyler12882
#50Donna Murphy to lead as Norma Desmond in SUNSET BOULEVARD reading, a possible revival?
Posted: 11/19/14 at 4:57pm

Is there any word on who else is in this workshop production? Joe, Betty, or Max?

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#51Donna Murphy to lead as Norma Desmond in SUNSET BOULEVARD reading, a possible revival?
Posted: 11/19/14 at 4:58pm

They need to make the show the star if they want a longer run than the original.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#52Donna Murphy to lead as Norma Desmond in SUNSET BOULEVARD reading, a possible revival?
Posted: 11/19/14 at 5:25pm

Just as an aside, how about Alice Ripley as Norma Desmond? She was in the original Broadway production.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Rumpelstiltskin Profile Photo
Rumpelstiltskin
#53Donna Murphy to lead as Norma Desmond in SUNSET BOULEVARD reading, a possible revival?
Posted: 11/19/14 at 6:44pm

Alice Ripley played Betty Schaefer, the young love interest for the male lead, not Norma Desmond. . . . and she was fine in the somewhat thankless role.

CATSNYrevival
#54Donna Murphy to lead as Norma Desmond in SUNSET BOULEVARD reading, a possible revival?
Posted: 11/19/14 at 6:51pm

No one said she played Norma just that she could now.

Rumpelstiltskin Profile Photo
Rumpelstiltskin
#55Donna Murphy to lead as Norma Desmond in SUNSET BOULEVARD reading, a possible revival?
Posted: 11/19/14 at 8:39pm

Yes, I see that now. Read too quickly. Thanks.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#56Donna Murphy to lead as Norma Desmond in SUNSET BOULEVARD reading, a possible revival?
Posted: 11/19/14 at 10:12pm

I know its all about Norma and Joe, but I wish the creators would rewrite some of the Betty stuff. The original film had all four leads getting Oscar nominations, and I noticed that the Gloria Swanson musical version (Hopefully this isn't a reading of THAT!) focused a bit more on Betty.

CATSNYrevival
#57Donna Murphy to lead as Norma Desmond in SUNSET BOULEVARD reading, a possible revival?
Posted: 11/19/14 at 10:18pm

Don't give Webber any ideas! I told you, he'll write her a rap song!

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#58Donna Murphy to lead as Norma Desmond in SUNSET BOULEVARD reading, a possible revival?
Posted: 11/20/14 at 1:24am

Was so excited to read this. Sunset is one of my favorite of all ALW - and have thought it is underrated, underappreciated and maligned by too many theatre snobs (lest people forget, it opened with a $37.5 million advance, which I believe is still the all-time record)

Anyway - I have always loved Donna Murphy. Got to see her in Passion the matinee (Sat) before she won the Tony for that. Can only imagine what she would bring to the role - A fusion of Betty Buckley's vocal powers and Glen Close's acting.

The only revision I would hope ALW would make is re-imagining the finale. As Norma descends into madness, if there was ever a scene begging for an 11 o'clock number - that would be it.

So excited at the possibility!

gavyj Profile Photo
gavyj
#59Donna Murphy to lead as Norma Desmond in SUNSET BOULEVARD reading, a possible revival?
Posted: 11/20/14 at 10:52am

"The roundabout is "not-for-profit", not "for-loss". They need some commercial success to help them survive I think. Would be excited to see this."

^ Exactly

joshtheblopper Profile Photo
joshtheblopper
#60Donna Murphy to lead as Norma Desmond in SUNSET BOULEVARD reading, a possible revival?
Posted: 11/20/14 at 3:19pm

I would love for this to happen, but only if it was the original score that Patti sang, I feel as though the original music brings a great energy to Norma! It makes it for exciting for the audience

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#61Donna Murphy to lead as Norma Desmond in SUNSET BOULEVARD reading, a possible revival?
Posted: 11/20/14 at 3:49pm

I suppose all of Patti's trashing of ALW in her memoir means there's no way in hell she'd ever be considered to reprise this role?

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#62Donna Murphy to lead as Norma Desmond in SUNSET BOULEVARD reading, a possible revival?
Posted: 11/20/14 at 4:07pm

Patti claims feelers were put out about her replacing Elana Roger in Evita. She said they weren't able to come up with enough money.

Can you imagine if that had happened?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#63Donna Murphy to lead as Norma Desmond in SUNSET BOULEVARD reading, a possible revival?
Posted: 11/20/14 at 4:14pm

She is always ready! Her Buenos Aires at 54 Below last week was off the hook...

Visceral_Fella
#64Donna Murphy to lead as Norma Desmond in SUNSET BOULEVARD reading, a possible revival?
Posted: 11/21/14 at 12:25am

Well if it's at roundabout then maybe SJB will be the first replacement, and that will get me there in a flash. Donna isn't an exciting choice to me. I also, didn't like her witch, but love her Fosca and Anna. Maybe she'll surprise me if this comes to fruition.

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#66Donna Murphy to lead as Norma Desmond in SUNSET BOULEVARD reading, a possible revival?
Posted: 11/22/14 at 3:56am

"Patti claims feelers were put out about her replacing Elana Roger in Evita. She said they weren't able to come up with enough money."

Seriously?? I mean, Patti looks good for her age and the voice is in remarkable condition, but, seriously?

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#67Donna Murphy to lead as Norma Desmond in SUNSET BOULEVARD reading, a possible revival?
Posted: 11/22/14 at 2:14pm

Colin Donnell and Helene Yorke are perfectly cast, though I would have preferred Yorke's BULLETS co-star, Betsy Wolfe, as Betty. Still, Yorke has so much personality, which is important for a role that has the potential to be a little bland. It'd be awesome if this cast made its way into an actual revival.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#68Donna Murphy to lead as Norma Desmond in SUNSET BOULEVARD reading, a possible revival?
Posted: 11/22/14 at 2:35pm

Ooh, I'd love to hear Donnell as Joe.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#69Donna Murphy to lead as Norma Desmond in SUNSET BOULEVARD reading, a possible revival?
Posted: 11/22/14 at 2:37pm

I know, right? I can't think of anyone I'd rather see play Joe, just like I can't think of anyone I'd rather see as Norma.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

bwayboy22 Profile Photo
bwayboy22
#70Donna Murphy to lead as Norma Desmond in SUNSET BOULEVARD reading, a possible revival?
Posted: 12/1/14 at 5:50pm

Did anyone hear anything about how this went? Is there a real possibility something will result from it?

Updated On: 12/1/14 at 05:50 PM

broadwayboy223
#71Donna Murphy to lead as Norma Desmond in SUNSET BOULEVARD reading, a possible revival?
Posted: 12/1/14 at 7:43pm

I would also like to know how it went. On a side note I would love to see Megan hilty play Norma when she's older

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#72Donna Murphy to lead as Norma Desmond in SUNSET BOULEVARD reading, a possible revival?
Posted: 12/1/14 at 11:25pm

Honestly I think Donna Murphy would be an amazing choice. Remembered seeing her in the Matinee performance before she won the Tony in Passion - and her Fosca truly haunts me... such an incredibly moving performance and voice. I also remember seeing all of the Normas on Broadway - and how Betty Buckley really brought a darkness and tragic beauty that I thought was lacking with Glen Close (who was amazing, but just so different). Just imagining Murphy is exciting.

Really would love to hear some info on how it went