pixeltracker

Seth MacFarlane, as Harold Hill in NBC's The Music Man?- Page 2

Seth MacFarlane, as Harold Hill in NBC's The Music Man?

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#25Seth MacFarlane, as Harold Hill in NBC's The Music Man?
Posted: 12/5/14 at 4:38pm

They need a really popular music next year. Something at the public knowledge level of WEST SIDE STORY, CATS, PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, HAIRSPRAY. Hopefully, one of those though. (Actually, with the right cast, I think WEST SIDE STORY, OLIVER, or MY FAIR LADY could be great options. Or something more contemporary?)

I'd love to see Laura Benanti as Marian if Kelli is to busy.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#26Seth MacFarlane, as Harold Hill in NBC's The Music Man?
Posted: 12/5/14 at 4:44pm

Seth does have a lovely voice, but Harold Hill doesn't have to be a great singer. Robert Preston, wondrous as he was in the role, was't really a "singer" at all. It'd be really easy to cast a really big star who's a good actor in this role. Then get a sensational Broadway leading lady as Marian, maybe some other mildly recognizable faces as the Shinns and such.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Magalamb
#27Seth MacFarlane, as Harold Hill in NBC's The Music Man?
Posted: 12/5/14 at 8:34pm

Ooh, I think JGL would be good as Harold Hill. They'd get ratings making Anne Hathaway Marian...

ShakinBaconGirl Profile Photo
ShakinBaconGirl
#29Seth MacFarlane, as Harold Hill in NBC's The Music Man?
Posted: 12/6/14 at 11:43am

Lets get Emma Stone in something.

Jay94
#30Seth MacFarlane, as Harold Hill in NBC's The Music Man?
Posted: 12/6/14 at 12:04pm

Seth MacFarlane wouldn't draw the ratings. Get Neil Patrick Harris and Emma Stone in this, you'd have a big hit on your hands. But I don't think there's any incentive for doing these after the drubbing they generate.

Also, The Music Man is going to be a risky choice in my opinion. It's not particularly relevant or well known to audience's today like say, The Sound of Music is. Peter Pan isn't full of standards but it had the child audience that TMM might not have. Updated On: 12/6/14 at 12:04 PM

ShakinBaconGirl Profile Photo
ShakinBaconGirl
#31Seth MacFarlane, as Harold Hill in NBC's The Music Man?
Posted: 12/6/14 at 12:15pm

I think Emma Stone would be all wrong for Music Man. I think if NBC wants better ratings, they need to do something a bit more modern and relevant. How about Zanna Don't?

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#32Seth MacFarlane, as Harold Hill in NBC's The Music Man?
Posted: 12/6/14 at 12:35pm

Reverse it: Emma Stone as professor Harriet Hill and Seth MacFarlane as Harry N. the librarian.

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#33Seth MacFarlane, as Harold Hill in NBC's The Music Man?
Posted: 12/6/14 at 1:26pm

I really like the Jimmy Fallon suggestion, if he can sing. He has that combination of likability and being a scamp that is needed for Harold Hill. I could see him playing the role as an overgrown child who is having fun fooling townspeople across the Midwest until he meets Marian and realizes he has to grow up.

I would agree with those that would say that Seth MacFarlane can sing the role but would not be open enough. Harold Hill has to have some vulnerability, and I don't see that in MacFarlane. And you have to believe a conman, and MacFarlane is not charming in that way. I also think that, after MacFarlane's Western movie massively underperformed at the box office, he isn't really considered to be a box office draw as himself (as opposed to Ted or some other character). I could see them giving the role to him, but I think it would be a mistake.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

Famebroadway2 Profile Photo
Famebroadway2
#34Seth MacFarlane, as Harold Hill in NBC's The Music Man?
Posted: 12/6/14 at 1:49pm

Oh I wouldn't hate to see Jimmy Fallon either.

I agree that its the star not the property that will generate ratings. I personally LOATHE the Music Man, but with some "good" stunt casting I would watch.

I would be much happier if they did something that hasn't been done on television before, but is a musical theater favorite.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#35Seth MacFarlane, as Harold Hill in NBC's The Music Man?
Posted: 12/6/14 at 2:38pm

"Seth MacFarlane wouldn't draw the ratings"

His shows are wildly successful and Ted made half a billion dollars. Yes, he would. He would be amazing, I hate Jimmy Fallon, and I dont think he can sing.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#36Seth MacFarlane, as Harold Hill in NBC's The Music Man?
Posted: 12/6/14 at 2:49pm

MacFarlane does not appear on screen on TED or on his animated shows. The one time he has gone in front of the camera, the movie was a gigantic box office failure, with many critics specifically taking an issue with MacFarlane's screen presence and inability to carry the film. I don't know what that means in terms of how good he'd actually be in the role, but it's the kind of thing that would make executives pause before hiring him for something like this. Not to mention the fact audiences for an R-rated hit like TED are not necessarily who NBC is going for.
Neil Patrick Harris was in one of the biggest movie hits of the year, made HEDWIG the hottest ticket in town and has a contract with them. He seems the most ideal candidate (assuming Hugh Jackman is not interested). Fallon is also audience-friendly.
I'm guessing from the way they cast PETER PAN and SOUND OF MUSIC that they'll want a recognizable name as Marian, though that's a tough role to sing.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#37Seth MacFarlane, as Harold Hill in NBC's The Music Man?
Posted: 12/6/14 at 3:49pm

"The New R-Rated Comedy Film from Seth MacFarlane (creator of Family Guy)" and "The Classic Family Friendly Musical starring crooning Seth MacFarlane" are not meant to draw the same audiences. Just because he's a draw for a certain crowd in one medium doesn't mean he'd automatically be in another very differently aimed one.

Remember how nobody knew who he was at the Oscars?

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#38Seth MacFarlane, as Harold Hill in NBC's The Music Man?
Posted: 12/6/14 at 3:53pm

Everyone knew who he was at the Oscars.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#39Seth MacFarlane, as Harold Hill in NBC's The Music Man?
Posted: 12/6/14 at 4:10pm

No, they most certainly did not. And some were even off-put regarding his work once they found out.

Updated On: 12/6/14 at 04:10 PM

amoni2 Profile Photo
amoni2
#40Seth MacFarlane, as Harold Hill in NBC's The Music Man?
Posted: 12/6/14 at 6:45pm

First if anyone is cast, they need to clear three months of rehearsals into their schedule and MacFarlane is a very busy boy. Jimmy has never delivered a line without laughing or the very least smirking, he's a comic, not an actor.

This clip better shows MacFarlane;s love of musicals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r62_qMog1Mw

beagle Profile Photo
beagle
#41Seth MacFarlane, as Harold Hill in NBC's The Music Man?
Posted: 12/6/14 at 7:51pm

I've seen the clips of McFarlane singing, and I agree he has a good voice, but I also agree with those on this thread who think he doesn't project the likability and vulnerability that Harold Hill should have. Jimmy Fallon would be an interesting idea if he can sing (also Harold doesn't have to be a great singer).

I also think that as great as Kelli O'Hara is, she's too old at this point to be ideal as Marian. I've noticed in her recent TV appearances (the Carousel concert and Peter Pan Live) that she's developed a maternal quality that will work very well in The King and I, but isn't right for Marian. In the Carousel concert, although she sounded great, I thought she came across as too mature for the younger scenes as Julie, and was at her best in the role after the "time jump". I also think Laura Benanti, as great as she is, is also a little old for Marian. I think someone like Laura Osnes could be great.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#42Seth MacFarlane, as Harold Hill in NBC's The Music Man?
Posted: 12/6/14 at 8:29pm

I've never really cared for this show, but if they did it I'd much rather see Fallon or NPH play the role. MacFarlane has a great voice, but I just don't find him likeable, which is a problem for something like this. Plus, though he's popular with a large audience, I don't think that audience will necessarily watch The Music Man just because he's in it.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

JohnyBroadway
#43Seth MacFarlane, as Harold Hill in NBC's The Music Man?
Posted: 12/6/14 at 8:41pm

My dream cast

Harold Hill: Neil Patrick Harris

Marian: Kelli or Laura Benati.

Marcellus: Christian Borle

Mrs. Shinn: Megan Mullally

Tommy Djilas: Ryan Steele

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#44Seth MacFarlane, as Harold Hill in NBC's The Music Man?
Posted: 12/6/14 at 9:33pm

Is Chris Pine too good looking for The Music Man? Not to mention, too big a movie star?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#45Seth MacFarlane, as Harold Hill in NBC's The Music Man?
Posted: 12/6/14 at 10:37pm

$10 bucks says Borle is in this some how.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.