pixeltracker

Jeremy Jordan playing Leo in PARADE- Page 3

Jeremy Jordan playing Leo in PARADE

cknick
#50Any $50 tickets?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 3:51pm

I wouldn't say Jeremy is slight of build, but the other points are valid (though I don't think wearing glasses has anything to do with it). He's an actor. I'm sure he'll be very good! Not my cup of tea...but I look forward to it.

bjh2114, I agree with that too...though I'm sure many would disagree. I wonder how much of a chance he's gotten to sing music like PARADE. It might a good way for him to explore different parts of his voice. Updated On: 12/16/14 at 03:51 PM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#51Any $50 tickets?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 3:56pm

Wait, are you suggesting that in previous shows he sang in an appropriate manner for those shows, but he may have more tricks up his sleeve vocally that we just haven't seen yet, since he was never cast in shows where he got to use them?

That sounds like crazy talk... Any $50 tickets?

cknick
#52Any $50 tickets?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 3:59pm

Ha! Touche.

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#53Any $50 tickets?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 4:09pm

I feel like I've gone to crazy-town.

Brent Carver, who was extraordinary as Leo Frank, has one of the thinnest, reediest voices I've ever heard in a theater. This is not a vocally complex role. It doesn't not need to be sung like Robert in BRIDGES. I mean...sure...it may sound nice. But a vocal performance of such robust masculinity is a far worse choice than Jordan's thinner sound.

Updated On: 12/16/14 at 04:09 PM

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#54Any $50 tickets?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 4:10pm

I feel like I've gone to crazy-town.

That's exactly what it is. They should rename it BroadwayCrazyTown.com

A Director
#55Any $50 tickets?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 4:42pm

A law should be passed that states from now on, all Broadway producers are required to post on the Broadway World Message Board actors they are considering casting to get the approval of the Musical Comedy Mavens who post here.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#56Any $50 tickets?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 4:57pm

My knee-jerk qualm is that he won't read as nebbishy enough. Yes, he's an actor, and if he can make me believe him as a selfish, introverted loner, then job well done. I'm totally ready to reserve judgment.

I'm not advocating typecasting, but my fear is him coming off like the girl in the teen comedy that gets a dowdy sweater and glasses before she becomes the hot girl everyone can already see she is.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#57Any $50 tickets?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 5:23pm

I found his work in A BED AND A CHAIR impressive enough to hold off on thinking him just one thing. I also don't find him attractive in the least. I mean, I can see he's sort of pleasing-looking, but I've always found his look to be a little...odd. And I know that the show was terrible, but he really fulfilled the whole 'selfish loner' thing on SMASH, to the point where I found the character just unlikable.

themysteriousgrowl
#58Any $50 tickets?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 5:32pm

I don't find him to be especially attractive, either, but, like Anderson Cooper, I recognize how he fits into popular notions of attractiveness.

I really wish I had seen A BED AND A CHAIR.

I hate you.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#59Any $50 tickets?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 5:46pm

"My knee-jerk qualm is that he won't read as nebbishy enough. Yes, he's an actor, and if he can make me believe him as a selfish, introverted loner, then job well done. I'm totally ready to reserve judgment."

Starting.... NOW. Any $50 tickets?

themysteriousgrowl
#60Any $50 tickets?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 5:55pm

I want to stab that winky face in the eye every time you post it.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#61Any $50 tickets?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 6:01pm

Any $50 tickets?

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#62Any $50 tickets?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 6:34pm

He'll finally get to play his J.M. Barrie in New York just not in Foreverland, or whatever that mess was called.

Up In One

CurtainsUpat8 Profile Photo
CurtainsUpat8
#63Any $50 tickets?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 6:43pm

I've come to the conclusion there are only about 30 Broadway Actors that get cast over and over in these things. The city is FILLED with amazingly talented people. I don't want to hear Idina again... or Kelli OHara... or Christian Borle.... or Jeremy Jordan ever again to be honest.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#64Any $50 tickets?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 6:45pm

It's like these producers are trying to sell tickets or something...

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#65Any $50 tickets?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 7:13pm

They cast the best of the best. Don't like those people? Don't see their shows.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#66Any $50 tickets?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 7:52pm

Ugh, I thought Bed and Chair was one of the worst things I saw last year.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#67Any $50 tickets?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 8:13pm

Is Benanti playing his mother?
I wish they had picked an Actor who could act, but it's a concert so WTF?

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#68Any $50 tickets?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 8:32pm

So...he can't act? K.

topiflo
#69Any $50 tickets?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 8:38pm

For pete's sake, Jeremy Jordan IS Jewish.

Leo Frank was born in Texas in 1884, and later moved to New York. Jeremy Jordan was born in Texas in 1984, and apparently has been to New York.

This casting could literally not be more accurate in terms of ethno-geographical accuracy.

Leo was even lynched in August 1915, which means Jordan will be almost exactly the same age.

Updated On: 12/16/14 at 08:38 PM

broadwayguy2
#70Any $50 tickets?
Posted: 12/17/14 at 7:16am

I would argue that there is more to playing Leo Frank than being from Texas, moving to NYC, of Jewish descent and roughly the same age. One can be all of things and still not a "Leo".
I adore Parade, I adore Jordan, I adore Benanti, those three things just don't really seem to belong together.
As far as the "concert" argument goes, it always amuses me. People are always willing to wave appropriateness, especially for a concert setting, if they have long enjoyed the performer. HOWEVER, in cases where the performer has not established a long track record and fan base previously, how "appropriate" they are ends up being the entire focus beforehand... I am of the mind that I would rather see APPROPRIATE casting and the same standard applied to ALL performers cast.
As to Jordan, he is far FAR more similar to Leo than Benanti could EVER be to Lucille. Benanti, while glorious of voice, is everything that Lucille is not and that is difficult for me to wrap my mind around. By greater concern with Jordan is that as much as I enjoy seeing him perform, I don't "hear" his voice in the score, but I suppose I shall have the opportunity!

Everlast85 Profile Photo
Everlast85
#71Any $50 tickets?
Posted: 12/17/14 at 7:58am

"For pete's sake, Jeremy Jordan IS Jewish."

He is half Jewish and doesn't practice Judaism. So, no.

"Leo Frank was born in Texas in 1884, and later moved to New York. Jeremy Jordan was born in Texas in 1984, and apparently has been to New York."

Jeremy Jordan lives in New York, and none of that other stuff matters in terms of the casting.

notalwaysontime Profile Photo
notalwaysontime
#72Jeremy Jordan playing Leo in PARADE
Posted: 12/17/14 at 9:27am

Can I just point out, that Jason Robert Brown, you know the guy who wrote the score, is conducting the concert? I'm just going to go ahead and take a wild guess that he played a part in the choice to have Jeremy in the show, he's obviously a fan of Jeremy's given his approval of him playing Jamie in TL5Y, and I'm sure if he didn't approve of Jeremy playing this part in the concert they would have gone with someone else. I kind of think a guy who was part of creating the show in the first place would know better than us.

broadwayguy2
#73Jeremy Jordan playing Leo in PARADE
Posted: 12/17/14 at 9:43am

I would also like to point out that Jason Robert Brown also doesn't have a very good track record of figuring out what an audience would like to see.
That is not a slight to a Mr. Jordan, but it IS a factual observation of a Mr. Brown.
I also don't think one should ever call a creative someone's "fan" because they cast them in a show. A "fan" of someone is something else entirely.

neonlightsxo
#74Jeremy Jordan playing Leo in PARADE
Posted: 12/17/14 at 9:47am

growl-- that was my concern. Not nebbishy enough.