#75Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/17/15 at 5:40pm

"Yes the opening song of Act 2 is also offensive."

No it is not.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#76Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/17/15 at 5:47pm

The revival of Last 5 Years played at a non-profit subscription house- yes, it extended, but it wasn't any kind of runway hit. It's not really wrong to say that JRB, despite his considerable talent, hasn't had a substantial hit in New York.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

chanel
#77Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/19/15 at 11:12am

Says the show could have easily been written in the 1960s, but it becomes increasingly charming as it gets wackier. (Scroll down, after "Constellations" review.)

http://www.out.com/entertainment/michael-musto/2015/01/19/alexis-arquette-sharon-osbourne-bruce-jenner-sex-jared-leto?page=0,1

Owen22
#78Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/19/15 at 3:37pm

"I just said facts. Fact: Honeymoon in Vegas is sexist. Fact, Honeymoon in Vegas is racist."

I refute your facts. Mainly cause something that is subject is, by definition, NOT a fact. Plus you're stupid.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#79Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/19/15 at 8:49pm

I really enjoyed the show and would see it again.

Just give the world Love.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#80Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/19/15 at 10:20pm

"Would" or "will?" And, if the latter, how much "will" you pay?

ZannaDo
#81Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/25/15 at 3:46am

Yeaaaah, a whole lot of white people seem really sure it isn't racist. I'm a POC as is the person I went with and we both found it offensive. The stereotypes are dated and damaging and if nothing else, it's lazy comedy.

stevie3
#82Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/25/15 at 5:08pm

Please stop going to broadway, youre probably the same dicks sitting there eating candy and snarling. Go get a balcony seat at the movies and stay away from bway. Now thats offensive, but i mean it

ZannaDo
#83Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/26/15 at 1:12am

Woah, dial it down, you crazy racist f*ck.

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#84Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/30/15 at 12:17am

Saw it tonight. Comped in. In front mezz. Rear mezz empty.

Racist? Sexist? Who cares. There's nothing wrong with it really but there's nothing really that's right either.

Sorry but Mr. Brantley must have money in the show. The show is OK but that rave, I think is unwarranted. The comedy sort of fizzles and any try at feeling comes up short.

It kind of has the feel of a show you can constantly make comments thru or check your phone thru out or eat candy thru or talk thru the overture-which happened all around me tonight.

There's some reason this show isn't selling after that rave in the Times. Don't know if I hit on that reason here but I do hope it can find it's audience. Both the cast, orchestra and even the house staff seemed more than welcoming. Just not for me. PS-that trap door down stage scared me all night. I hope we don't hear of any ailments because of it!

Updated On: 1/30/15 at 12:17 AM

MDM2015
#85Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/30/15 at 11:05am

Just saw this :

"More offstage drama at Tony Danza's Honeymoon in Vegas"

So how bad is this?

"Lead producer Dena Hammerstein has, I’m told, been muscled aside by Dan Farah , Danza’s manager and a co-producer of the show."
"Farah’s calling the shots.
He is an experienced Broadway hand. He once attended a performance of “Jersey Boys.”

http://nypost.com/2015/01/29/more-offstage-drama-at-tony-danzas-honeymoon-in-vegas/

ZannaDo
#86Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/30/15 at 12:00pm

"Racist? Sexist? Who cares."

I imagine women and people of color. Updated On: 1/30/15 at 12:00 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#87Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/30/15 at 2:06pm

How about not telling people what they shouldn't be offended by?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

15minutecall
#88Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/30/15 at 2:18pm

I'd appreciate more details on why people feel the piece is sexist. For me, a plot point involving letting someone date your fiancée isn't in and of itself sexist and neither is a woman playing the harp with her huge breasts. The issue to me is the POV the production itself has about those elements. It's not as if the men are portrayed in the most heroic light. The piece takes tropes of Vegas types and behavior and attempts to make a Vegas-ish entertainment out of them.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#89Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/30/15 at 3:11pm

The idea of losing a woman in a poker game, as though she's a piece of property, is pretty sexist.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#90Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/30/15 at 3:20pm

I admit that I haven't been following this show (can't find a damn interesting thing about it) but here's what I get of the plot: The show basically starts as Rob/Jack losing a bet to Danza/Tommy, and Tommy saying he will forget about the bet if he can spend a night with Brynn/Betsy.

Now, please correct me if I'm off, but doesn't that make the woman character just an object, rather than a person? Seems sexist.

ETA: Oops, poster above beat me to the same point.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.
Updated On: 1/30/15 at 03:20 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#91Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/30/15 at 3:38pm

Even though Betsy has some (limited) agency in the scheme, the conceit is still pretty gross.

I wasn't bothered by it as much as I was by the Hawaiian tour guide Mahi, whose main plot purpose is to be a sexy exotic Asian girl.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#92Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/30/15 at 3:45pm

http://theatreiseasy.tumblr.com/post/109240889564/theres-no-feminism-in-vegas

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#93Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/30/15 at 5:09pm

ethalmae, Saw it tonight. Comped in. In front mezz. Rear mezz empty.

Comped in...after 2 months of previews and the 3rd month in...they are still comping and have an empty theater even comping people AND it's 2for1 Broadway week!?
HUH!?
I wonder why the show is making no money and the novice producers just fired the Press Reps (too late) now going with Rick Miramontez @ O&M...they need to fire the marketing and advertising team and get there act together if they want this to continue running (well, it's been running for 3 months)Really not looking good Honeymoon as I predict 1 more month or so to go before the divorce.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 1/30/15 at 05:09 PM

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#94Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/30/15 at 5:16pm

“I wasn't bothered by it as much as I was by the Hawaiian tour guide Mahi, whose main plot purpose is to be a sexy exotic Asian girl.”

No, but, see, see, you’re missing the POINT. She was only ACTING. She was PRETENDING. It was COMMENTARY on the STEREOTYPE. It’s PROGRESSIVE. You just didn’t GET it.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

ZannaDo
#95Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/30/15 at 5:18pm

Yeah, I really can't get over how many people in these Vegas threads feel completely comfortable insisting to members of minority groups that they're wrong about perceiving things as offensive.

The reviews, outside Brantley's bizarre rave, had legitimate concerns about the racism, or at least tokenism, and sexism in the piece, this is hardly something that's only present on this message board.

ZannaDo
#97Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/30/15 at 8:17pm

Yeaaaah, it certainly doesn't play that way for a lot of people, hence the reaction it's getting.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#98Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/30/15 at 8:53pm

Ben Brantley is laying down the law and is telling every other critic to shut the **** up! Go Ben!!!

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

AntV
#99Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/30/15 at 9:33pm

What papering services are still getting all these comps? I'm a little peeved by the show for not offering comps to the papering service I'm a member of. Feel free to PM me the answer instead of posting it here.

15minutecall
#100Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/30/15 at 10:42pm

I'm not insisting That anyone's wrong about perceiving this show as offensive. I don't find it so and I'm asking for details from those who have been offended as to why they find it so, beyond restating a story point. To me, the show doesn't treat Betsy as a chit. A character does. Is West Side Story racist because racial epithets are tossed around?