pixeltracker

The Elephant Man- cancelled performances- Page 2

The Elephant Man- cancelled performances

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#25The Elephant Man- cancelled performances
Posted: 1/22/15 at 6:12pm

I feel like people always do plays when they're nominated for something. Seems odd. But if he's seen at the Oscars and then seen at the Tonys, it's good for the Tonys.

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#26The Elephant Man- cancelled performances
Posted: 1/22/15 at 6:22pm

I could understand canceling the final show on the day of the Academy Awards, but to miss 2 performances just to be a presenter at the Director's Guild Awards? That just seems unnecessary and sends a message that another Hollywood award show matters more to "whoever" than real live theater patrons. I have a friend who said "well that's what happens when you hitch your wagon to the movie stars."

We got our tickets for Curious Incident....and I am very much looking forward to seeing it. And, for 3 tickets, I'll be getting about $500 refunded on to my credit card.

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."

mufish
#27The Elephant Man- cancelled performances
Posted: 1/22/15 at 6:51pm

I'm in the camp of wondering why they didn't factor this in when they extended, but I also understand that at the same time, nominations hadn't been announced and that would've been awful presumptuous. Ultimately though, while it's certainly disappointing to those who had tickets to the cancelled closing performance, I get it. The Oscars are seen by millions, and I don't think the theater community should be offended. Like RippedMan said, in the end the theater community may benefit by way of the Tony's, and as another poster said, it's possible he had a contractual obligation.

I'd be willing to bet the two performance absence in early February has a contractual element to it as well. I do agree with GatorNY's friend though, things like this will be a consequence of having huge stars in productions. While this will most certainly inconvenience some theatergoers, at least there was a fair amount of advance notice. Hopefully that will allow most people to adjust their schedules as needed, or find an equally (or higher) quality replacement.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#28The Elephant Man- cancelled performances
Posted: 1/22/15 at 7:50pm

I had tickets for the 2/22 performance and just received an email from Telecharge stating that the producers of The Elephant Man would like to apologize for canceling the performance. To make up for any inconvenience they are offering 2 complimentary tickets to either Honeymoon in Vegas, It Shoulda Been You or Gigi.

I am very pleased by this level of customer service!

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#29The Elephant Man- cancelled performances
Posted: 1/23/15 at 1:45am

MOST DEFINITELY see Curious Incident. I saw both CI and EM back to back about 3 weeks ago. In my humble opinion, Curious Incident is much much better. It is creative, fascinating and energetic. The visuals and the music are awesome. You will not regret seeing Curious Incident.

Sometimes something happens to you that seems like a problem, a negative, a real bummer. And then unexpected consequences make you realize it was all for the best .... I think that will be the case for you here :o)

As far as seating, Curious Incident is best viewed in the center .... either the mid-orchestra or the front mez. Try to avoid the sides if you have a center option. I sat in row H center orchestra and it felt perfect.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#30The Elephant Man- cancelled performances
Posted: 1/23/15 at 7:14am

This is not a new thing. I wish the internet existed back when Night of the Iguana was playing....

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#31The Elephant Man- cancelled performances
Posted: 1/23/15 at 8:24am

It kind of seems stupid for them to even have the run booking until the 22nd originally. Didn't Bradley know he had a movie coming out and possibly an oscar "worthy" movie?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

nyla123
#32The Elephant Man- cancelled performances
Posted: 1/23/15 at 11:41am

When they extended the run, American Sniper was a long shot for most of the big categories and, even if the movie picked up a Best Picture nomination, very few people though Bradley Cooper had any shot of a nomination. The producers probably chose to announce the extension as long as possible figuring they would rather risk the unlikely event of having to cancel the show in order to squeeze as many nights out of this limited run as possible.

djoko84
#33The Elephant Man- cancelled performances
Posted: 1/23/15 at 11:48am

Does anyone know how getting tickets for standing room has been lately? Is there a line? What time should I get there and how much do they sell? Is it cash or credit? Sorry for all the questions, but I don't see anything around the boards about it.

bfreak
#34The Elephant Man- cancelled performances
Posted: 1/23/15 at 12:07pm

Since they cancelled 3 performances (including the original final one) the producers should've tried to pull some strings to extend the show an extra week, so ticket holders could get a chance to see the show (and allow them to get a first pick at seating)!

nyla123
#35The Elephant Man- cancelled performances
Posted: 1/23/15 at 12:38pm

I'm sure the producers would have extended the show if it were at all possible, they are making money hand over fist on Elephant Man. I'm sure the contracts with the cast and the fact that Hand to God already has dibs on that theater made it impossible.

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#36The Elephant Man- cancelled performances
Posted: 1/23/15 at 1:13pm

Canceling performances to go pick up some Hollywood trinket? That ain't Broadway.

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#37The Elephant Man- cancelled performances
Posted: 1/23/15 at 1:43pm

I just heard, to show how much he regrets having to miss these performances, Bradley Cooper, to demonstrate the depth of his commitment to Broadway, will perform all remaining shows while holding his body in a weirdly contorted, massively uncomfortable position for the entire length of the show, save the first few minutes.

Everybody happy now?

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#38The Elephant Man- cancelled performances
Posted: 1/23/15 at 1:52pm

Canceling performances to go pick up some Hollywood trinket? That ain't Broadway Of course it ain't it's Hollywood! Haven't you heard?

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#39The Elephant Man- cancelled performances
Posted: 1/23/15 at 2:00pm

It's like these actors think they are actual people or something instead of the trained monkeys they are.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#40The Elephant Man- cancelled performances
Posted: 1/23/15 at 2:02pm

They probably didn't factor the Oscars into the schedule in advance, as they saw a preview of the film in advance and didn't think it would be an issue.

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#41The Elephant Man- cancelled performances
Posted: 1/23/15 at 2:32pm

You don't make a commitment to your audience and then pull out on a fanciful whim.

Merman would never do that.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#42The Elephant Man- cancelled performances
Posted: 1/23/15 at 2:40pm

You are correct, Merman never had to cancel a show because she was nominated for an Academy Award.

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#43The Elephant Man- cancelled performances
Posted: 1/23/15 at 2:46pm

As far as I'm concerned when Brad Cooper goes back to Hollywood with his facelift and his new nose they can keep him.

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#44The Elephant Man- cancelled performances
Posted: 1/23/15 at 2:49pm

What about Streisand doing Gypsy. Any thoughts on that?

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#45The Elephant Man- cancelled performances
Posted: 1/23/15 at 2:49pm

Who is Brad Cooper?

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#46The Elephant Man- cancelled performances
Posted: 1/23/15 at 2:50pm

No Fisherman Bob, I hadn't considered it!

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#47The Elephant Man- cancelled performances
Posted: 1/23/15 at 2:50pm

I don't see the big deal. Like a poster above said, the closing night was brought up by a day, not an entire week. Does it really make that much of a difference?

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#48The Elephant Man- cancelled performances
Posted: 1/23/15 at 2:55pm

If people on here only posted about things that matter, there would be 9 threads... rather than debating why show A that hasn't had a single performance is more likely to get a Tony than Show B that hasn't had a single performance.

Although, to be fair, Show B is better. Updated On: 1/23/15 at 02:55 PM

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#49The Elephant Man- cancelled performances
Posted: 1/23/15 at 8:00pm

Elfuhbah it's not just one show, as I've tried to state. Our show was cancelled for the DGA Awards, just so he can PRESENT an award. It does make a difference for folks who paid $325 to see the show...and for anyone who was looking forward to seeing it.

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."