#75It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/18/15 at 10:31am

Thank you, newintown!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#76It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/18/15 at 11:00am

well you don't really know what you have til you're in previews!!

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#77It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/18/15 at 11:00am

One relevant fact I didn't know until now - director David Hyde Pierce is married to librettist Brian Hargrove, a former actor turned sitcom writer.

Updated On: 3/18/15 at 11:00 AM

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#78It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/18/15 at 11:05am

Well that explains a lot.

I was actually wondering why he would choose to direct this.

....but the world goes 'round

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#79It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/18/15 at 11:25am

newintown, Yes, I knew that going in and always assumed this was a vanity production on some level. I don't know if they also invested money in the show, but Pierce clearly is lending his name to help sell tickets for his husband's show.

You also bring up good points about the size of the orchestra and the off-Broadway sound of the orchestrations.

Also, all of the fat jokes about Lisa Howard's character (and after awhile I don't know how you don't take them personally as an actor cast in the part) were so vicious and nasty that the audience gasped and nearly booed everytime one was dished out. You would have thought LaBute wrote some of those cracks, or at least they lifted them from Fat Pig.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#80It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/18/15 at 11:28am

I stood in line in the freezing cold 2 hours for this so we will love it.

My wife and I can relate to this as she is Jewish and I am Catholic. At least we will have a nice dinner before for her birthday.She is familiar with the Jewish mother shtick. Hey if we survived Mormon we can survive anything.

Poster Emeritus

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#81It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/18/15 at 11:32am

I don't think of Lisa Howard as being fat.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Liza's Headband
#82It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/18/15 at 11:41am

It Shoulda Been You Previews

I think "plump" would be a better adjective...

WhizzerMarvin
#83It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/18/15 at 11:42am

Kad, her whole plotline is about how she is too fat in Daly's eyes and that Boggess is the perfect child because she's beautiful and skinny.

Some sample fat jokes-

Howard to the audience: Oh, you thought this [wedding] dress was mine? I wouldn't fit into this if I were cremated!

Boggess to Daly: Don't say that to Jenny! She worked her ass off for this wedding.
Daly: If only that had literally been true.

Daly: My Jenny is not a lesbian! She's just big boned.

Howard sings a song called "Beautiful" in which she hopes she will one day find someone to love her because of, or at least in spite of, her weight.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!
Updated On: 3/18/15 at 11:42 AM

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#84It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/18/15 at 11:44am

The cremation joke sounds funny, at least.

Liza's Headband
#85It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/18/15 at 11:45am

If that horrendous joke is your definition of "funny," I don't want to know what your favorite comedy movies are.

WhizzerMarvin
#86It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/18/15 at 11:49am

The cremation joke is at least self-deprecating rather than a pointed insult. Sure it's a groaner, but I suppose a little more harmless than the others.

It's really with the venom that Daly hurls these insults at Howard that creates such an uncomfortable feeling in the audience.

dave1606
#87It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/18/15 at 11:51am

I saw this last night.

It reminded me a lot of First Date. The first half is so bland it really could be any show. Then, as if the writers thought, let's make sure we make this super memorable, they picked the most outlandish twist they could think.

What I think really kills the show is the waiters/wedding planner. They reminded me of the all knowing waiter in First Date. It is a stupid convention that wastes too much time, which is an issue as the show is at least 15 minutes too long.

I didn't mind a lot of the shtick with Tyne Daly and Harriet Harris because they are such pros. They sell the material and if anyone wants to write a buddy comedy for both of them, SIGN ME UP.

Also, I thought Lisa Howard was a delight. She's totally charming and anchors the show well. David Burkta, unfortunately, was bland, and rather uninspired. He also has one of the worst songs in the show (a duet with his Dad that goes ON AND ON AND ON).

It is unfair for a talent like Montego Glover to be relegated to such a nothing part, but I was happy to see her onstage again at least.

Overall, I have to say, I was never bored. I actually thought a good chunk of the score was pleasant enough (if instantly forgettable), but there were some deadly ballads, and I thought the Whatever song with Josh Grisetti and Lisa Howard was awful.

I think the bottom line is that this is a rather mediocre entry as a new musical, but for me it was at least worth it for the cast.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#88It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/18/15 at 11:52am

aww the idea of that song sounds so nice. Im happy theres some heart to this show

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#89It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/18/15 at 12:00pm

It's comforting to know that Philly will have the same opinion on Friday as he does today regardless of what happens tomorrow.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#90It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/18/15 at 12:04pm

"sweetlips, im 19 and i HARDLY comment on everything on this board."

You joined less than a year ago and have already posted enough to have "legend" under your sobriquet. Clearly, you comment A LOT on this board. I agree with others here asking that you show a little restraint.

neonlightsxo
#91It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/18/15 at 12:51pm

I wasn't going to see this anyway, but the fact that there are fat jokes of that nature turns me off completely.

Philly, "well you don't really know what you have til you're in previews!!"

That isn't true in this case. They did an out of town at George Street. They knew what they had. Updated On: 3/18/15 at 12:51 PM

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#92It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/18/15 at 12:55pm

My favorite film comedy is August: Osage County.

SARCASM, Headbandz. As was my last comment. Have a little hump-day-humor!

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#93It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/18/15 at 12:55pm

The "twist" sounds awful. Is there any foreshadowing that at least makes it fun?

OKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
#94It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/18/15 at 1:14pm

Earlier in the thread it was discussed how many nominations for a musical or play. From the Tony Awards Website--2014-15 rules:

Summary: If there are more than 9 eligible shows, there will be 4 nominees and a possible 5th, if the votes are within 3 votes between #4 and #5. It then talks about 5 or fewer eligible shows, but what if there is 6-8 eligible shows?

Show Categories. The number of nominees in each of the four “Best
Show” categories shall be determined in the following manner:
The Tony Awards® :Rules and Regulations 2014–2015
(A) Where there are nine or more eligible shows in a Best Show
category, at the Tony Nominating Meeting, the Nominating
Committee will be instructed to cast one vote each for four eligible
shows as nominees on his/her secret ballot. Such ballot shall be
collected and tabulated by a representative of the Accounting
Firm. The four eligible shows with the highest number of votes will
automatically be designated as the nominees in such category. A
fifth nominee shall be added to the category in the event that the
Accounting Firm determines that the difference in votes between
the fourth highest ranked show and the fifth highest ranked show
is three votes or less.
(B) Where there are five or fewer eligible shows in a Best Show
category, at the Tony Nominating Meeting, the Nominating
Committee will be instructed to cast one vote each for three
eligible shows as nominees on his/her secret ballot. Such ballot
shall be collected and tabulated by a representative of the
Accounting Firm. The three eligible shows with the highest
number of votes will automatically be designated as the nominees
in such category. A fourth nominee shall be added to the category
in the event that the Accounting Firm determines that the
difference in votes between the third highest-ranked show and the
fourth highest-ranked show is three votes or less.

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#95It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/18/15 at 1:17pm

I imagine if there are 6-8 it just means the field is set at four and there is no flexibility to expand.

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

bekk99 Profile Photo
bekk99
#96It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/18/15 at 1:23pm

As for the $14 seats question, it was a nice view from the right side toward the rear. Just missed a bit of physical comedy with John's entrance.

LOL @ Kad.

As for any foreshadowing, (SPOILER) since I had been spoiled, I picked up on a few very subtle glances, double meanings, etc., but nothing I think I would have noticed if I hadn't known. The only one I remember is Montego's character starting to say "She's my... [girlfriend]" about Sierra's character in the bathroom and then cutting herself off.

pugsandcoffee Profile Photo
pugsandcoffee
#97It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/18/15 at 1:35pm

Lisa Howard deserves a show, and a showstopper. For her, I hope at least she gets some serious notice here. I sang with her back in the day and was always floored. Always. Just a hell of a voice I'd put above a lot of Broadway "stars."

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#98It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/18/15 at 1:38pm

This sounds horrible. How quickly will it close?

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#99It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/18/15 at 1:39pm

^^^^^

Her William Finn album is outstanding.

I'm always on the lookout for anything she's in.

....but the world goes 'round