Fun Home Previews

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#50Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/28/15 at 10:31pm

Just came back from the show tonight with much to celebrate, not least of which is that I finally had my first live meeting with an esteemed member of the BWW community--like one of those vaunted one-on-ones at SLEEP NO MORE! So yay, Dramamama! I think we need a secret handshake or green carnation or something so we can identify ourselves at a theater.

The show was lovely, personal and intimate and deeply troubling and deeply human. The score seemed like a gentle soundscape of orchestral textures backing some really wonderfully wrought lyrics, very much in the Jason Robert Brown/ "Passion"-era Sondheim mode. I could have used a killer melody or two, but even without it, I really felt the creators gave us a full rich meal here. Performances are uniformly superb, with extra kudos going to each of the 3 astonishing Alisons plus the Joan of Roberta Colindrez.

To answer another poster, no, the stage is not raised-- all seating is above the stage. I was in B211, an absolutely ideal vantage point, although the in-the-round staging is meticulous about directing the action so everyone gets a clear view.

To answer another earlier poster, yes, the show is " a dark, serious, emotional musical", and boy, is that a nice change from the norm.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#51Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/28/15 at 10:37pm

Someone in a Tree2- what a great way to describe Fun Home. Glad you enjoyed! I can't wait to see it again!

Hest882 Profile Photo
Hest882
#52Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/28/15 at 10:39pm

Someone in a Tree2, thanks! I'm so excited to see this show. Question: do you think seats in row A would be less ideal due to trying to peer over the set or actor's heads? I've certainly experienced both those issues before in similar theatres.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#53Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/28/15 at 10:39pm

As Someone in a Tree mentioned, I got to see the show tonight as well.

All I can say is wow....I loved every minute of it. Sydney Lucas is giving the best performance I've ever seen from a kid. Strong heartfelt performances all around, can't wait to bring g my daughter in a few weeks.

I cannot imagine a bad seat ANYWHERE...even in the 400s as we were led to believe.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 3/28/15 at 10:39 PM

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#54Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/28/15 at 10:44pm

Seats in row A would put you right in the actors' laps, which I imagine would be a great thing if you're loving the show and agony if you're not. I do know that those in Row A are instructed that they will not be permitted to leave and return to their seats due to the disruption it would cause (plus the safety hazard given the number of times the traps in the floor are opened).

I can't imagine your view would be obstructed for long given the frequency with which the furniture is rearranged (unless you were a very very tiny person to begin with).

Hest882 Profile Photo
Hest882
#55Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/28/15 at 10:57pm

Thanks all. The Telecharge discount was available for row A during our April trip, which I swear was not the case when I checked Thursday and yesterday. I was all ready to spring for premium tickets but this makes it so much better! Someone in a Tree, I decided to take the seats right in front of yours. :)

After Eight
#56Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 12:00am

"Am i the only one on the board that thinks this is an overrated colossal bore?" If you aren't, it's not likely you'll find anyone brave enough to say as much. 

Updated On: 5/2/15 at 12:00 AM

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#57Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 12:15am

Yep, you know how revolting discovering you sexuality is, and having your life changed forever in one simple moment. Discovering who you truly are? Simply revolting.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

Wilmingtom
#58Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 12:18am

I have not seen the "torrent of abuse" you imagine directed at the poster who thought the show was overrrated.

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#59Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 12:33am

I sat in the 400s tonight and the view was excellent. The show was outstanding and I'm still far too overwhelmed to fully dissect it. I hope to return again because there's more I want to watch and learn. I can't even imagine this not in the round, that's how flawless and natural the staging was. Really just some of the most simplistic yet intricate storytelling I have ever seen. I'm grateful that we are living in a time where this show has a place on Broadway.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#60Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 12:37am

I am so sad I'm not seeing this for another month.

BroadwayBen
#61Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 12:45am

Just got in after seeing this with four friends, and we just spent three hours (and much wine) talking about. It's really wonderful. Surprising, dramatic, funny and just honest in a way most musicals aren't. The staging in the round is beautiful and interesting, and the performances are great. Judy Kuhn is amazing, and Michael Cerveris is so powerful. The kids are all great, and the young alison and college Alison are wonderful. I didn't see this downtown, and I just loved it. I want to go back again during previews to see if they make any changes. I can't imagine what they would change. I bought the cd, and I can't wait to re-hear the music.

Broadwaylover2
#62Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 12:53am

Is FH better than Hamilton ???

JeffDaEgg2
#63Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 12:56am

Is the running time still 1 hour 45 minutes? Hoping I can run to Hedwig afterward on a Saturday...

BroadwayBen
#64Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 1:28am

I don't think Fun Home is better than Hamilton, but I also, in a weird way, don't think Hamilton is better than Fun Home. They're very different styles and have different reasons for being. But both are sort of amazing, and you're really into them as you watch them.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#65Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 1:43am

"If you aren't, it's not likely you'll find anyone brave enough to say as much."

You do know, I hope, After8 that it does not require bravery to express a dissenting opinion. So many people do so on here in so many better ways than you do. Somehow they never feel the need to bully and condescend, or play the victim, when discussing a show.

WHAT did you find so repulsive about the show? We know you seem to take offense at a character discovering her sexuality... Why?

Updated On: 3/29/15 at 01:43 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#66Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 1:45am

I didn't notice the time, but the usher kept saying 1:40 was the run time.

"A for Al" was gone! Such a cute song on the recording!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#67Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 1:47am

Wait, "Al for Short" is cut?

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

CoreyRyan3
#68Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 2:25am

Well, if there was going to be a song to cut, it makes sense that it's that one.

getatme
#69Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 2:48am

Yeah "Al for Short" was cut and replaced by a short musical scene between Small Alison and Bruce that deals with the same situation. It's a similar musical theme to part of "Telephone Wire."

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#70Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 3:36am

Reason enough to reissue the cast album with the new track?

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#71Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 3:38am

So glad to hear these reactions. I only know the show from the CD but find it breathtaking.

Hopefully this will settle in for a run to match Spelling Bee.

btw it doesn't take bravery to disagree, just a cogent argument; it's really quite easy to scream "no, no, no" repeatedly
Updated On: 3/29/15 at 03:38 AM

Broadwaylover2
#72Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 4:01am

great so going in July to see both

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#73Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 4:30am

Really glad to hear this show is taking off right from the start, particularly in adapting to the in-the-round staging (which I'd love to hear more about). Not really crying over the loss of Al for Short, which was cute but Ring of Keys touches on a similar subject while also being totally breathtaking. Every queer kid has probably been through both situations at some point, though I guess of varying degrees depending on how cis-sexual they turn out to be. The way Alison stammers during Ring of Keys strikes so close to home for me, that stuttering, unsure realization of this thing that's not quite sexual yet, but seems right somehow, is so movingly and charmingly portrayed. Also, I hope the orchestrations have that same New England-y flavor as on the cast album - I've never been to Pennsylvania myself, but I'm pretty sure my ears have.

After Eight
#74Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 7:36am

Updated On: 5/2/15 at 07:36 AM