pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/5/15- Page 3

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/5/15

brucebossa Profile Photo
brucebossa
#50Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/5/15
Posted: 4/6/15 at 4:31pm

Trying to get back on the subject of grosses and leave this Philly thread (although I understand why people need to answer such comments that Philly makes!) ... I'm rather surprised that the limp HONEYMOON didn't rise a BIT in the final week.  It actually went DOWN.  One would think, like most closing shows, some people would rush in to catch it. Although I guess they only announced it the week it closed.

Still, most shows rise when closing ... is this an indication that really NO ONE was interested in this show anymore?  (I mean I know how low the grosses were and the stories of the extra money going in)  When SIDE SHOW, a show I am quite familiar with as you may know, announced closing when BO could not rise sufficiently, it had just a 2 week warning. The BO the second last week rose to $588K and the final week to $810K.

I really thought the final week of HONEYMOON would break $450K easily.  Guess not.

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#51Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/5/15
Posted: 4/6/15 at 4:31pm

WTF indeed Philly. I could go into great lengths on here explaining how the business end of not for profit theater is greatly different than for profit, or about how if there weren't any of those companies on Broadway we wouldnt get outside the box plays that have no stars above the title and minimalist revivals like violet. But that requires too much energy, and from reading your past comments, anything I say will likely go in one ear and out the other. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#52Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/5/15
Posted: 4/6/15 at 4:35pm

Roundabout IS non-profit. So are Lincoln Center and MTC. Off-Broadway we have Playwrights Horizon, the Public, MCC, the Mint, Encores, and more. Their non-profit status allows them to produce work that won't get produced otherwise because they're *not it it to make money.* 

Non-profit theatre makes the American theatre possible right now. If not through non-profit theatre, then through non-profit development programs like the O'Neill, New York Stage and Film, or Sundance- all of which workshop shows that go on to success in New York. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 4/6/15 at 04:35 PM

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#53Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/5/15
Posted: 4/6/15 at 4:46pm

I understand this, but like I said, making money is better than not making money! Of course they want their show to make money. If nobody is seeing Airline Highway, then what is the point of keeping it open? So they can say they got an out of the box play on broadway? Theatre is meant to be seen

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#54Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/5/15
Posted: 4/6/15 at 4:49pm

Of COURSE making money is better than not; but MTC has a huge subscriber base that fills up most of their houses before the season is even set. They're scheduled into every performance. The shows get seen. 

Most non-profit theatre companies are operating with a deficit. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

brucebossa Profile Photo
brucebossa
#55Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/5/15
Posted: 4/6/15 at 4:51pm

But it is non-profit - they have a schedule.  They have subscribers who want to see this new play.  Don't go by these grosses as it hasn't even been reviewed yet.  And they can't close it because they have a schedule and nothing else to put in the theater.  It's doing fine.  It will run it's course.  I'm seeing it in May.  I can't wait.  The budget is fixed for the show.  It's all funded.  WHY CLOSE IT ??? Subscribers have it in their schedule.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#56Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/5/15
Posted: 4/6/15 at 4:54pm

Non-profits also enjoy tax-exempt status and are the recipients of grants, subsidies, and donations. They don't have to repay investors. 

Jonwo
#57Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/5/15
Posted: 4/6/15 at 5:07pm

Given how successful Constellations was for MTC, I'm sure they can afford to have a show like Airline Highway

On the 20th Century is doing numbers at the American Airlines which would be considered horrendous if it was a commercial production but for Roundabout, where the subscribers aren't paying full price and the capacity of the theatre it's doing very well. 

BosBroad
#58Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/5/15
Posted: 4/6/15 at 5:34pm

Oh wow for The Visit.  So hoping it picks up for Chita.

It's Only A Play is 50% of gross?  I got the (obviously wrong) impression it was doing better than that.  Isn't it considered a hit? Is 50% considered a "hit" for a play?

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#59Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/5/15
Posted: 4/6/15 at 5:39pm

I am praying that Hand to God succeeds...and only now recognizing the irony of that statement.  

In any event, If word of mouth picks up and the reviews are as rapturous as they were downtown, perhaps they have a shot.  At this juncture, I personally think Curious Incident is a lock for the Tony (...not something I'm happy posting).  But, and presuming people agree with my threshold point, anyone think HTG could pull an upset?  Perhaps caused by Wolf Hall siphoning the all important British-prestige vote from Curious Incident?  I really want this show to do well.

Updated On: 4/6/15 at 05:39 PM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#60Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/5/15
Posted: 4/6/15 at 5:44pm

Pinto-

MTC has a large subscriber base that comes to see their shows. They build subscribers; additional audience is gravy. Making money is an issue after the intial run, if there is one. And your list of non-star shows doing well is (typically) half a loaf. Any such list that excludes Curious Incident is obviously incomplete. I don't know why you enjoy being a clown. I guess it is just something I will never understand. Most people do not aspire to being an idiot, just as most shows and actors don't aspire to fail. 

Hairspray0901
#61Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/5/15
Posted: 4/6/15 at 5:50pm

"
I really thought the final week of HONEYMOON would break $450K easily.  Guess not.
 "

I was there Friday night. The mezzanine was pretty empty but I think one of the reasons honeymoon might not have had increased ticket sales for their closing weekend was because people were celebrating passover AND/OR easter. 

Phillypinto
#62Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/5/15
Posted: 4/6/15 at 5:51pm

I am not being a clown, I am being serious. Curious Incident and Wolf Hall are the only new dramatic shows without stars. People are producing more comedy because I think thats what audiences want to see. My whole point about non-profit before was: whats the point of producing a show if no one is seeing it? I guess we will see how well Airline Highway does. It just doesn't make sense to just throw money down the drain. Even if you are putting money into something creative, you still want people to see the show. If no one is seeing it, why waste the money?

Liza's Headband
#63Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/5/15
Posted: 4/6/15 at 5:55pm

In whose eyes are they "wasting" the money? Do you understand the mission of most not-for-profit theatre companies in New York?? It's to produce the material that would most likely not succeed in commercial theatre but possesses artistic merit in the eyes of the company's Board of Directors, benefactors/grantors, and Executive Staff. It is not about making money in the non profit sector. It is about exposing a new audience to meaningful, purposeful theatre. That being said, Roundabout is notorious for veering away from that mission and becoming far too "commercial." But that's for another day...  

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#64Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/5/15
Posted: 4/6/15 at 5:56pm

Re: Hand To God, I certainly think there's a reason it bills itself as a new American play- it's definitely trying to draw a contrast between it and the British imports like Curious Incident. I agree that Curious Incident will probably take the Tony- it's critically acclaimed, spectacularly produced, and safe enough for the more conservative voters who probably will be turned off by Hand To God. I could see scenario where Curious Incident wins Best Play but Hand To God is awarded for Steve Boyer's performance, which really helps to make the show.

Still, I really hope it does well too. It's not typically Broadway fare, but that's exactly why it should succeed. Works this good and daring are rarely produced on Broadway, and I hope this one makes it so that happens more often. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#65Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/5/15
Posted: 4/6/15 at 5:57pm

BREAKING NEWS: Philly is a moron. Can we just have a thread where we bitch about him instead of clogging every thread with his nonsense that he spews out of his ass? It's funny, when I saw the thread I said to myself"HOW ARE THERE SO MANY REPLIES? Philly must be acting like an idiot again!" Not that it's at all shocking but *pats on back*.

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#66Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/5/15
Posted: 4/6/15 at 6:02pm

Philly--What did I say about digging that hole?

Just step back, take a deep breath and don't share your thoughts on here quite so often.

Go get that audition tape ready for us all-THEN we might take you seriously.

I don't often contribute as I live far away, will never see these shows but devour MOST of what I read from so many learned people who share love of all things theatre.

Thanks Hogan--love that word 'tether'--'tether those thoughts'-great expression and very apt.

Updated On: 4/6/15 at 06:02 PM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#67Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/5/15
Posted: 4/6/15 at 6:12pm

pinto, you are being a clown. You either know it and think it's funny or you are a moron like some have said. Those are the only 2 options. Choose one. 

re plays, there are 11 total, 6 of which are star vehicles, of which 5 are succeeding and jury is out on 1; 4 of which are non-star vehicles, 2 of which are succeeding and 2 of which the jury is still out on; and there is one NFP show that doesn't count in the race. I'm not sure what rational conclusion you can be drawing (not to mention that you ignored the biggest non-star success until I pointed out its omission).

You can and should be able to make a positive contribution to this website, but not by repeatedly spewing nonsense about things for which you have no basis in fact. As I said before, Broadway is not some fairy tale; it has a reality and if you want to be taken seriously you will tether what you say to that reality. Otherwise, as I said, your options are limited. 

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#68Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/5/15
Posted: 4/6/15 at 6:43pm

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/5/15

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Phillypinto
#69Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/5/15
Posted: 4/6/15 at 7:08pm

seriously! Calm down oh my goodness!! If roundabout is a not for profit, then why did they do Cabaret again? Because they needed the money!

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#70Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/5/15
Posted: 4/6/15 at 7:10pm

I think we just need to accept the fact that pinto is an utter moron and pretend like he doesn't exist.

It's a shame too because he's kinda cute.

ETA: I took the picture off but if anyone does a quick Google search...

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah
Updated On: 4/6/15 at 07:10 PM

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#71Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/5/15
Posted: 4/6/15 at 7:11pm

...I could be 100% wrong here, but I'm pretty sure Phillypinto is a guy.

EDIT: I see you corrected it, my mistake. Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/5/15

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire
Updated On: 4/6/15 at 07:11 PM

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#73Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/5/15
Posted: 4/6/15 at 7:27pm

That's not very nice to post somebody's picture on here.

neonlightsxo
#74Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/5/15
Posted: 4/6/15 at 7:41pm

"seriously! Calm down oh my goodness!! If roundabout is a not for profit, then why did they do Cabaret again? Because they needed the money!"

You obviously don't understand non-profit theater. I will try one more time to explain.

They can use the money they make from big, successful shows like Cabaret to support their smaller shows that put them into debt. Like the black box Roundabout Underground shows, or a show like Machinal that is amazing and important but doesn't make money. Sure, they need money, everybody needs money, but they don't make profit.