pixeltracker

"Mamma Mia!" to Close on Broadway- Page 5

"Mamma Mia!" to Close on Broadway

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#100Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/21/15 at 6:33pm

Robbie2, thats why they're called rumors. The people who i heard that from were from 
Broadway.com lol

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Hairspray0901
#101Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/21/15 at 7:05pm

um. I was able to purchase tickets for the "sept 5 closing" - i paid premium because that's pretty much all they had left and now they changed their closing. I'm happy for everyone involved - yay one more week for their cast and crew - but does anyone know if telecharge will make an exchange for me? Because I have no interest in attending the September 5th performance at premium prices when it's not even their closing show anymore. and this is coming from someone who LOVES this musical and has seen it several times over the past few months....

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#102Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/21/15 at 7:44pm

It's not the first time this has happened. I say give them a call and see what happens. It's possible that they may have extended to free up seats for invited guests for the final performance and that there won't be many tickets available to the public.

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#103Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/21/15 at 10:23pm

I remember when this happened with Spamalot. When I saw this headline for this, I assumed they were extending through the holidays and closing the first weekend of January 2016.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#104Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/21/15 at 10:50pm

I think something is rumored to have booked the Broadhurst for this November, but I can't remember what it is right now.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Hairspray0901
#105Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/22/15 at 11:26am

i called telecharge last night and they said they haven't heard of any extension so i should call back "tomorrow". i called back again this morning and the woman asked "where did you hear they extended?" so i listed playbill, broadwayworld, etc. she said "the producers haven't told us anything yet so we are still only on sale until september 4th". so, no luck - yet.

they probably are holding off to save seats, as you mentioned CATSNYrevival, but, why not at least release until september 11th? and i don't really understand the whole "one week extension" thing, especially when the week they extended will most likely take a dip anyway because everyone's back at school. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#106Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/22/15 at 12:15pm

ACL, I think something is rumored to have booked the Broadhurst for this November, but I can't remember what it is right now.

I heard possibly MISERY or WAITRESS for the Broadhurst. I guess it all depends on how sales continue and what Tony wins for Hand to God...Misery then could go to the Booth.

http://www.miserybroadway.com/

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 4/22/15 at 12:15 PM

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#107Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/22/15 at 3:24pm

I never got to see the show.. I live in L.A. and I missed the last tour Mamma Mia! but I did see the london show that is floating around on the internet. I've had the 'entr'acte' as my ringtone for 3 years now.. it's so good!

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#108Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/22/15 at 3:38pm

^ You should try to see it if you can :) ! Either a tour or on Broadway. It's such a fun show!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Hairspray0901
#109Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/27/15 at 2:44pm

In case anyone was wondering (doubt it, haha), Telecharge kindly refunded me the money for my September 5th tickets. I would have just exchanged them for September 12th but Mamma Mia's twitter account's exact words were "There are no current plans to release tickets for the final performance". Telecharge also has no access to sales past September 11th.

I think that's a little bizarre. If you want to reserve seats for your cast/alumni/creatives I 100% understand that decision but to not release them to the public at all? I've never heard of anyone doing that before. Oh well.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#110Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/27/15 at 2:45pm

Probably because they want to give themselves four months to sort out the attendees and then see if there is inventory to release to the general public.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#111Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/27/15 at 3:51pm

Does anyone know how the current cast is? I just noticed that it popped up on Thursday on TDF, so I'm thinking about going. 

broadwayguy2
#112Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/27/15 at 4:14pm

The physical production is a mildly more complete version of the second national tour set.. All the bells and whistles are gone, but the current cast is pretty darn fantastic... From top to bottom, maybe one or two weak links. McLane bars fire as Donna when. I saw it and Victor Wallace is as great a Sam as you can want, Alison Ewing is a divine Tanya...

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#113Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/27/15 at 4:16pm

I think I'm going to say screw it and go. I just saw they have a $32 rush and I'm assuming it's pretty easy, so I think I'm just going to try that. Anyone have any kind of rush stories for it? I'm assuming I should be good if I get there by 9:30? Glad to hear the cast is good!

Hairspray0901
#114Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/27/15 at 5:23pm

"I think I'm going to say screw it and go. I just saw they have a $32 rush and I'm assuming it's pretty easy, so I think I'm just going to try that. Anyone have any kind of rush stories for it? I'm assuming I should be good if I get there by 9:30? Glad to hear the cast is good!"

I've been placed all over for rush. All partial view, though, only 2 times has it actually been truly partial. 9:30 should be fine. 

Standouts are certainly Judy McLane as Donna, Victor Wallace as Sam and Elena Ricardo as Sophie. 

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#115Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/27/15 at 6:55pm

Good to know! The Thursday matinee is not well sold at all (I would say at least 2/3 of the theater is empty) so maybe I will luck out with decent seats. Either way, they're only $32, so I can't really complain. I'm mainly going because I think my boyfriend would enjoy it and so I can say I've seen it. :P

CarolineJin
#116Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/29/15 at 2:32pm

"The Broadway production was VERY tired when I saw it in August. I mean REALLY, REALLY tired. Seeing it in previews and then last year was like seeing 2 completely different shows. It's time for it to go. "

Very much agreed. Saw the show yesterday, and I feel like some cast have been quite spent on the show. I do think Judy's voice is quite amazing, and maybe it has something to do with this not-so-cheerful role, but the energy is kinda gone. (The band is still quite energetic though. Love the band.)

ebontoyan
#117Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/29/15 at 2:59pm

Replaced my Living on Love tix with Mamma Mia in May.  I've seen Mamma Mia 3x but not on  Broadway, so looking forward to this now!!

Dave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
#118Mamma Mia!
Posted: 7/15/15 at 3:08pm

I am curious as to why this is closing. Does anyone have any new information?

Last week this show did $852,207. There are plenty of showing hanging around that are grossing much less. 

Not to be confused with Dave19.

Fosse76
#119Mamma Mia!
Posted: 7/15/15 at 5:29pm

I am curious as to why this is closing. Does anyone have any new information?

There is a strong rumor that the Shuberts invoked the stop clause.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#120Mamma Mia!
Posted: 7/15/15 at 5:45pm

it's typically only been doing well during the busy season with tourists. The show's also very tired and has run its course.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Hairspray0901
#121Mamma Mia!
Posted: 7/15/15 at 9:45pm

"I am curious as to why this is closing. Does anyone have any new information?

Last week this show did $852,207. There are plenty of showing hanging around that are grossing much less. "

I've seen this show a great deal of times over the past year and while I love it and want it to stay open, they had a pretty rough winter. While they're doing great now, I was at a few performances in January/February where almost the entire mezzanine was empty, as well as the sides of the orchestra. 

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#122Mamma Mia!
Posted: 7/15/15 at 11:14pm

"I never got to see the show.. I live in L.A. and I missed the last tour Mamma Mia! but I did see the london show that is floating around on the internet. I've had the 'entr'acte' as my ringtone for 3 years now.. it's so good!"

FYI... I think the current tour is making a stop at Pantages in 2016. You should check it out. 

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#123Mamma Mia!
Posted: 7/15/15 at 11:20pm

Why would they use the stop clause for a long running show? If they did, maybe they will do the same with Chicago 

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

15minutecall
#124Mamma Mia!
Posted: 7/15/15 at 11:57pm

"Why would they use the stop clause for a long running show? If they did, maybe they will do the same with Chicago." 

Sure, maybe the Shuberts will kick Chicago out if they feel the show has run its course. But the Ambassador is a much less desirable house than the Broadhurst so I wouldn't let it keep you up at night.