pixeltracker

Fun Home will receive updated cast album- Page 2

Fun Home will receive updated cast album

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#25Fun Home will receive updated cast album
Posted: 4/10/15 at 11:21pm

"It also requires a very talented director and actors for the play to even begin to make sense. I would (respectfully) disagree with you about its message being dated, though. I think it's a testament to the will of the human spirit. "

I worded myself wrong.  I saw a VERY strong regional production a while back.  Besides finding it VERY long (I wonder how they'd cut time for songs and keep it together...) I really did love it--and it all came together.  I guess my issue was elements felt very progressive, and the message is very universal as you say, but elements even in that sentiment felt very dated (I wish I could remember more clearly why I felt that way--I am sure it had something to do with gender roles, though those don't usually bother me in plays I know were from a different era.)

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#26Fun Home will receive updated cast album
Posted: 4/11/15 at 12:00am

Also agree re: Sister Act.

The new song they wrote for Clark is one of the best in the show.

And regarding the Grammy, if Hamilton makes it out this summer as Miranda tweeted, then I think that's the winner.

....but the world goes 'round
Updated On: 4/11/15 at 12:00 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#27Fun Home will receive updated cast album
Posted: 4/11/15 at 1:59am

Agreed. Sister Act desperately needed a new recording, a lot of (positive) changes when that show made it to Broadway. I find that I can only listen to audience recordings of that show these days. Was so disappointed when I realised "Haven't Got a Prayer" was recorded. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#29Fun Home will receive updated cast album
Posted: 4/12/15 at 2:58pm

I had a feeling they would re-release. Wonder how the two will compare.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

jacobsnchz14
#30Fun Home will receive updated cast album
Posted: 4/14/15 at 11:52am

Track Listing:

1. It All Comes Back (Opening)

2. "Sometimes my father appeared to enjoy having children..."

3. Welcome to Our House on Maple Avenue

4. Not Too Bad

5. "Just had a good talk with Dad..."

6. Come to the Fun Home

7. Helen's Etude

8. "Thanks for the care package..."

9. Party Dress

10. Changing My Major

11. "I leapt out of the closet..."

12. Maps

13. "Read a book..."

14. Raincoat of Love

15. "Clueless in New York…"

16. Pony Girl

17. "A flair for the dramatic…"

18. Ring of Keys

19. "Let me introduce you to my gay dad..."

20. "Shortly after we were married..."

21. Days and Days

22. "You ready to go for that drive?..."

23. Telephone Wire

24. "It was great to have you home..."

25. Edges of the World

26. "This is what I have of you..."

27. Flying Away (Finale)

Bold are new additions that were not on the original.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#31Fun Home will receive updated cast album
Posted: 4/14/15 at 12:01pm

While I think the original recording is near perfect, I'm so excited to have another recording! 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#32Fun Home will receive updated cast album
Posted: 4/14/15 at 4:34pm

It's the same recording with 4 new tracks, yes?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#33Fun Home will receive updated cast album
Posted: 4/14/15 at 4:38pm

Well, I assume that anything with Alexandra Socha has been updated with Emily Skeggs. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

TheatreKid3
#34Fun Home will receive updated cast album
Posted: 4/14/15 at 4:48pm

The PS Classics statement on their website says that over half of the tracks are new.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#35Fun Home will receive updated cast album
Posted: 4/14/15 at 4:49pm

I couldn't find the song list nor find out if Skeggs is on the recording.  If she is, I will re-purchase, on the fence otherwise.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

FindingNamo
#36Fun Home will receive updated cast album
Posted: 4/14/15 at 4:50pm

All of the press I read said she is going to be on the recording.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#37Fun Home will receive updated cast album
Posted: 4/14/15 at 4:52pm

Thanks, Namo and TheaterKid...makes me happy. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

letyourfreakflagwave
#38Fun Home will receive updated cast album
Posted: 4/14/15 at 6:14pm

They probably re-recorded everything including Alison's brothers as well.

seahag2 Profile Photo
seahag2
#39Fun Home will receive updated cast album
Posted: 4/15/15 at 2:29am

Super excited to hear Emily's version of Changing My Major.
And happy for the other two kids (sorry, forgot their names) to be featured in the update!

so I smile like Mona Lisa and I lay my Visa down

jacobsnchz14
#40Fun Home will receive updated cast album
Posted: 4/15/15 at 1:27pm

"We were in the studio this past Friday with the cast of FUN HOME: updating and expanding our original recording -- not just with new material that Jeanine Tesori and Lisa Kron wrote for the Broadway production, but also with musical passages we didn't record last time around that, in hindsight, we very much wanted on the album. It also gave us the opportunity to work with the wonderful Emily Skeggs, who assumed the role of Medium Alison off-Broadway and is taking it uptown.

FUN HOME, newly packaged, will be in stores May 19, and shipping from our website two weeks prior. For those wondering, as customers did with Grey Gardens, if it's worth buying the second album if you already own the first: well, we can report that over half the tracks will be new. For us, it wasn't just about "let's add the new material" -- it was about doing justice to this exhilarating and moving production.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#41Fun Home will receive updated cast album
Posted: 4/15/15 at 1:33pm

I love P.S. classics, but I think all except for two of the new tracks are dialogue.

I'm sure it's going to be a fine recording, but I can't see repurchasing.

....but the world goes 'round

jacobsnchz14
#42Fun Home will receive updated cast album
Posted: 5/4/15 at 11:05am

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fun-home-new-broadway-musical/id990340829

Hear samples and preview the new and updated FUN HOME recording

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#43Fun Home will receive updated cast album
Posted: 5/4/15 at 11:32am

Hmm. Sounds like instead of rerecording all the songs that included Alexandra, they just recorded Emily and spliced her voice into the existing tracks.

Listening to Come to the Fun Home now and it's the same as the original.

Of course the only way to get the new tracks is to purchase the album as a whole. I guess it wouldn't make sense for them to rerecord every song, but I had hoped we'd get a recording that shows how much everyone's performances have developed.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

jacobsnchz14
#44Fun Home will receive updated cast album
Posted: 5/4/15 at 11:38am

Right now, it's "Album Only" because it's a pre-order but they may be available individually once the actual release date has hit. Some of the major Emily tracks (no pun intended) were completely re-recorded like the "Thanks for the care package" scene, just based on listening to the samples.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#45Fun Home will receive updated cast album
Posted: 5/4/15 at 11:57am

I've seen the show twice on Broadway. While I really do like Emily, I think Alexandra sounds better...

Although I don't really hear a major difference, I did preorder the new recording.

I just really love this show!

Updated On: 5/4/15 at 11:57 AM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#46Fun Home will receive updated cast album
Posted: 5/8/15 at 2:16pm

I'm still waiting on my pre-order. I was hoping to listen on my way to work tonight. Come on PS Classics!

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#47Fun Home will receive updated cast album
Posted: 5/8/15 at 3:06pm

Mine came yesterday. I noticed some ghost vocals from Alexandra in certain places, most notably in the finale. I'm wondering if they even bothered taking her out of the group numbers.

Glad to have the Broadway representation of the score preserved, though.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#48Fun Home will receive updated cast album
Posted: 5/8/15 at 3:31pm

Ordered this and 20TH CENTURY from PS Classics on Wednesday, so hopefully they'll both arrive tomorrow. I'm interested in seeing what changes they made to an already very good recording. 

rattleNwoolypenguin
#49Fun Home will receive updated cast album
Posted: 5/8/15 at 6:30pm

I came here to also complain about how there was no love for the Sister Act Broadway recording. And the orchestration was much lusher on broadway as well. It was nominated for a tony for god's sake and it didn't get a new recording... Anyway glad to know other people felt like me on this message board haha