pixeltracker

AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews- Page 2

AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews

CukorLover Profile Photo
CukorLover
#25AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/12/15 at 10:25pm

I think it's safe to say that the NY times review is MORE than positive. Congrats to cast!

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#26AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/12/15 at 10:27pm

Wouldn't have expected this based on the buzz on this board.

It just goes to show that one should never trust the message boards for how a show will turn out with the critics.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#27AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/12/15 at 10:31pm

^ Agreed. That's why it's going to be fascinating to see the reviews for THE VISIT. Some love it, some hate it. Some are passionate on both sides. 

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#28AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/12/15 at 10:35pm

agreedddd

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#29AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/12/15 at 10:37pm

Interesting that one or two of the critics seem confused about the homosexuality of Henri--as a few posters were.

sctrojan65
#30AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/12/15 at 10:58pm

This is actually pretty exciting….with so many shows that are moving from preview to openings now.  And seeing what the critics are saying.

Last week, I was able to catch The Visit, Fun Home, Something Rotten, An American in Paris, Finding Neverland, On the Twentieth Century and On the Town.  Every one of them (except maybe Fun Home) has had a lot of fence sitters.  Some love them; some don't.  And some are mixed.

It will be fun to see which way the critics swing now as each officially opens.

Slight spoiler alert ahead…..

As far as the homosexuality angle is concerned though, Eric, the dialogue itself is what sort of sets that up.  As I recall, the mother questions Henri about how he really feels about the fairer sex.  If they left it there, then no biggie.  He could put her question of him to rest and move on.  

But there are a couple of scenes and dialogue incidents that bring it up again. And he kind of plays it coy.  So it almost is like the question is left floating out there.

Even though at the end, it seems he really does love Lise.  (But then again, to what degree does he love her?  I mean, a man can love a woman, but not romantically.)

TBH, I can see why there might be some questions.  Unless, as I mentioned in another posting on here, I just missed something obvious.  Or read too much into something.

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#31AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/12/15 at 11:15pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but given the time period, it wasn't exactly a time where being homosexual was embraced, especially after the Nazis and WWII. Being coy and ambiguous is kind of on point for how it would have been in reality, so I felt like that whole part of it made sense. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 4/12/15 at 11:15 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#32AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/12/15 at 11:17pm

so do we now have three locks for Best New Musical Tony nom.: An American In Paris, Something Rotten & Fun Home??

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

getatme
#33AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/12/15 at 11:26pm

I don't think Henri is written to be a homosexual, rather I think he's written to be a Parisian dandy, very interested in fashion and overall appearance. This behavior is misunderstood by his parents, who most likely have minimal experience with homosexuality beyond a base understanding of it, but also by his American friends who probably have slightly more experience with homosexuality in the less restrictive United States. I think it is pretty clear that Henri loves Lise, and any mention of him maybe not being interested in "the fairer sex" are just other characters' misunderstandings of his behavior.

ClumsyDude15
#34AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/12/15 at 11:31pm

I can totally see that being the case, I'm just saying if he were homosexual, it's not like he'd be out and proud to say it to anyone especially given the time period. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 4/12/15 at 11:31 PM

sctrojan65
#35AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/12/15 at 11:31pm

I agree, clumsy.

My reply was only meant to address why the question of whether he is or isn't gay is even being mentioned (or apparently confused by the critics).

His coyness could mean, 'No, I'm not…., but do you think I am?'  (wink wink)

Or it could mean, 'I am, but can't really tell you. So I'll remain silent.'

Either way, it's open for discussion.  And if it is being questioned by critics, I was sort of explaining why (to those who haven't seen it)…as the dialogue from the play is what brings out the issue (or questions about it).  

Unlike the movie (which didn't….and couldn't in those days).

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#36AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/12/15 at 11:36pm

"So do we now have three locks for Best New Musical Tony nom.: An American In Paris, Something Rotten & Fun Home??"

Those would be my votes too, along with a surprise contender I fell in love with today-- FINDING NEVERLAND. And I know how unexpected that is given its mixed-to-negative reception on much of this board. So a shockingly rich crop of new musicals in 2015! Who'd a thunk it?

ClumsyDude15
#37AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/12/15 at 11:40pm

Oh yeah, it's totally up to interpretation and could be seen as either way you mentioned. Although, I think given Henri asking Adam and Jerry if they think he's gay and not disagreeing with them when they say yes makes it seem like given the direction, Von Essen is playing it like he is gay. 

Updated On: 4/12/15 at 11:40 PM

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#38AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/12/15 at 11:43pm

I don't think Henri was *written* as a homosexual, but the choices on behalf of either Von Essen or Christopher Wheeldon would suggest that was where they wanted to take it. It adds an interesting layer that the movie could not have had at the time, and it makes sense for Henri to not be willing to discuss it. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

Wilmingtom
#39AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/12/15 at 11:43pm

massesofmen, what they have to do with each other is that they are both based on Oscar winning MGM films from the 1950s, set in Paris, with screenplays by Alan Jay Lerner and directed by Vincent Minnelli.  That's a lot in common, don't you think?  One is bound to pale in comparison.

Updated On: 4/13/15 at 11:43 PM

sctrojan65
#40AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/12/15 at 11:49pm

Finding Neverland was just great.  It had some pretty amazing "wow" moments itself.  IMO,  a very enjoyable evening in the theater.

As for the Henri thing….I agree with that take too.  He could just be nothing more than a Parisian dandy who takes that fancy to appearance, etc.

I'm just curious why the topic even had to be brought up in the first place, or alluded to by the parents.  And then played up in a couple of other scenes.  

Comic relief?

I dunno.  

At the end of the day, pretty unimportant to the impact of the whole show….which I really liked.

Here's hoping the good reviews keep coming in!

EricMontreal22
#41AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/12/15 at 11:53pm

"Slight spoiler alert ahead…..
As far as the homosexuality angle is concerned though, Eric, the dialogue itself is what sort of sets that up.  As I recall, the mother questions Henri about how he really feels about the fairer sex.  If they left it there, then no biggie.  He could put her question of him to rest and move on.  
But there are a couple of scenes and dialogue incidents that bring it up again. And he kind of plays it coy.  So it almost is like the question is left floating out there.
Even though at the end, it seems he really does love Lise.  (But then again, to what degree does he love her?  I mean, a man can love a woman, but not romantically.)
TBH, I can see why there might be some questions.  Unless, as I mentioned in another posting on here, I just missed something obvious.  Or read too much into something.
 "

Thanks--that was sorta my question.  Most of the reviews that bring it up say that was Lucas trying to be modern (or whatever) but that it turns out not to be true.  And then at least one review (I don't remember which one) flat out says that one of the guys is gay.  Maybe the ambiguity is on purpose--it sounds like it could be....

sctrojan65
#42AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 12:09am

^^^True.

And totally concur, clumsy and starcatcher.

One can take it however they wish. Nothing wrong with a little ambiguity for those after show discussions. AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews

All I know is I was taken by having the chance to see it and, even despite the woman behind me chomping on chips (or God only knows what) and getting the toe of her shoe hooked in my sweater at one point, it was a very beautiful show.

EricMontreal22
#43AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 12:14am

And, though really this means nothing, the creators are all gay so obviously that was a part of it, right?  I mean Craig Lucas is openly gay and his plays more often than not deal with it in some way, as is Wheeldon.

TimesSquared Profile Photo
TimesSquared
#44AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 12:19am

Henri has been written by Lucas as a closeted gay character, recognized to be so by his two buddies. Many lines point to this, including a jealous Jerry saying, after Henri does his number in the cabaret and is embracing Lise, "Yes, he really puts on quite an act."  It's meant to be the reason for his hesitation in proposing to Lise, which his mother keeps pushing. He now also does a pointed take to the two handsome dancers who appear on either side of him at the beginning of his fantasy sequence.

There were even more lines indicating his latent homosexuality that were cut from the pre-Paris script I read. (I have a friend involved with the show.) 

It's certainly not true that Americans in 1945 would have had more liberal attitudes toward homosexuality, as one poster suggested. 

ClumsyDude15
#45AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 12:28am

"All I know is I was taken by having the chance to see it and, even despite the woman behind me chomping on chips (or God only knows what) and getting the toe of her shoe hooked in my sweater at one point, it was a very beautiful show.
 "

I'll trade you for the two obnoxious tweens I sat next to on Saturday night. 

It's certainly not true that Americans in 1945 would have had more liberal attitudes toward homosexuality, as one poster suggested.

I'm not sure if this was meant to be about my post, but I never said Americans were more liberal minded, I said that during the time period, it was all about being ambiguous and coy. During the time of the musical, it was a much more conservative time - both in post Nazi/WWII Paris and in America, so it's pretty obvious that if Henri was gay, he would be uncomfortable and ambiguous in terms of dealing with it. 

EricMontreal22
#46AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 12:48am

"
It's certainly not true that Americans in 1945 would have had more liberal attitudes toward homosexuality, as one poster suggested. "

Yeah, I was gonna say something there.  Of course a lot changed after the war--it wasn't quite what it was in the 1910s and 1920s when so many gay (artists largely, or connected) people went to France to be more open, but still compared to USA in 1945?

Interesting about some lines being cut--because a lot of those critics clearly didn't get it.  Not that it seems it really matters...

Lats Profile Photo
Lats
#47AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 12:50am

I saw this the first night of previews and was completely blown away by everything the reviews are saying. For 2 weeks I have read mostly negative posts, oh it's different from the movie, too much dancing, and

to avoid seeing it at all costs. Are we here to promote great, inventive theatre or just stroke our egos? Or is ballet inavading Broadway a little intimidating to some?  It's S'Wonderful, S'Marvelous! A must see! 

Updated On: 4/13/15 at 12:50 AM

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#48AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 1:11am

Delighted and relieved one movie musical has been transferred effectively to the stage!

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#49AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 1:17am

I saw the show very, very early in previews and found myself a little frustrated and disappointed, but literally thrown into a trance by the breathtaking dance. I'm one of those people who supports shows that they were less then thrilled by because I believe art, music, dance, and theater should be explored, even if for a short while. I'm thrilled that this piece will continue on and I hope I get a chance to revisit it at some point and see what changes were made.

I must say the reviews being overwhelmingly positive is a surprise to me, but mazel tov to the show!

(Sidebote: didn't a "certain poster" tell us that the show was going to be horrible, get horrible reviews, etc. ? Definitely seems like it's not on that path...)