pixeltracker

AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews- Page 3

AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews

blm2323
#50AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 1:44am

Saw first preview as well - very excited about the nice reviews!

somechrysanthemumtea Profile Photo
somechrysanthemumtea
#51AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 3:03am

hooray! hope ticket sales are even further boosted by these fantastic reviews - I certainly didn't see them coming after reading the boards, but then again, critics can surprise!

do you think it's just that an american in paris is just more well known than gigi? 

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#52AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 4:21am

Is Isherwood starting to get increasing numbers of the major shows at the Times?

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#53AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 5:53am

So glad this is getting great reviews.

....but the world goes 'round

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#54AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 6:02am

OHHH SO ITS BAD??? what did i say??? I told you so!!! I have a feeling i'm going to be saying that a lot soon :) I thought it was HILARIOUS how you people were predicting this show would get a best musical nomination LOL - Phillypinto 3/16/15

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#55AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 6:49am

I wanted this show to be good and read several bad reviews in here from the first few posters.  In fairness to Phillypinto, he only predicted the show would be bad, he didn't write the negative reviews, also in fairness to those original reviewers they weren't completely negative.

Stephanatic

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#56AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 7:29am

I agree, NY Times review read like a "rave" to me. My daughters saw it last week and loved it !!

Updated On: 4/13/15 at 07:29 AM

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#57AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 8:03am

" think it was in reference to the fact that both musicals are based on classic movies set in Paris.

Both those films were also directed by Vincent Minnelli."

Both were produced by Arthur Freed.

Both starred Leslie Caron.

Both, rather than simply being set in Paris, are love letters to the city.

Both won Oscars for Best Picture.

aj88
#58AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 9:07am

Just goes to show how back-and-forth a show's buzz can go.

Gigi went from being mixed/little buzz to being a board surprise and then it got slammed by critics.

An American in Paris got nice notices before, seemed to be considered bland by the board and now got many strong notices and some raves.

After Eight
#59AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 9:37am

^

Gigi was so much better than this flat, dull, charmless, dud.

Gigi had charm.

No wonder the critics hated it!

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#60AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 9:57am

No wonder!

neonlightsxo
#61AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 9:59am

"he only predicted the show would be bad"

He predicted that the show would be bad on literally no grounds. The same way he predicted Living on Love and Shoulda Been You would be good.

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#62AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 10:06am

The same way he predicts On The Town will not be nominated for Best revival. He said Gigi or Side Show will take it's spot. HAHA.

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#63AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 10:07am

It just shows to go you...

broadwaysfguy
#64AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 10:58am

sophies choice-for my trip in two weeks, I can see on the town or american in paris... On the town seems to have unanimous reviews 

from those who seem to share my tastes, and American in Paris close to unanimous. I really liked On the town movie and loved american in paris, and loved the gershins(maybe I just answered my own question)

For any of you who have seen both, if you could just see one, which would it be?

heres isherwoods love letter in NYT to American in Paris

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/13/theater/review-an-american-in-paris-a-romance-of-song-and-step.html?_r=0

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#65AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 11:58am

While I liked both, I personally liked An American in Paris more.  On the Town is good, but it's what you expect of On the Town.  American in Paris is something special, I think.  And the dancing is out of this world.

AEA AGMA SM
#66AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 12:06pm

Something to consider is that the odds of An American in Paris going out on tour are probably higher than the odds of a tour of On the Town.  Producers are not as quick to send out a tour of a revival as they are of a new show.  So your odds of being able to catch An American in Paris out on the road somewhere are higher than those for On the Town.

*Note, I'm not saying there is no chance that On the Town will go out on the road, I'm just saying that if I had to pick one to place money on it would be the new show over the revival.

MegInManhattan
#67AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 1:04pm

Broadwaysfguy, I would give the edge to On The Town. The dancing in both shows is phenomenal, but On The Town is a much better all-around musical in my opinion. And AEA brings up a good point about a potential AAIP tour.

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#68AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 1:17pm

I love both of these shows, but I think my vote would go to AAIP.

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

Streganona
#69AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 3:01pm

Both AIP and OTT are well worth seeing but it's AIP that has lingered in my mind and the production I wish I could see again.  Tony Yazbeck in OTT actually has the brash athleticism of Gene Kelly in the film version and Megan Fairchild is a charming Ivy and of course a wonderful ballet dancer.  Lots of exuberance and the quiet songs (Lonely Town, Some Other Time) are heart felt and lovely.  But I would still urge you to see AIP if you can only see one.  Even if it goes on tour, it will likely have a different cast and you'll miss the opportunity to experience Christopher Wheeldon's beautiful ballet  choreography as it's being performed by Robert Fairchild and Leanne Cope.  The stunning use of projections, the set design and lighting effects are much more complex than in OTT's more "come on kids, let's put on a show" production.  I think that Jill Paice as Milo is witty, rueful and wears fabulous outfits.  Brandon Uranowitz (Adam) is  funny and appealing  and I think AIP pays homage to Oscar Levant without trying to recreate Levant's unique persona. Because Adam is convincingly  also in love with Lise, the emotional stakes are raised.  Max von Essen's Henri Baurel might be gay but I don't think it really matters one way or another because Lise and Jerry so clearly belong together.  Robert Fairchild is a sexy, brilliant dancer and has the charisma this role requires.  The Gershwin songs are glorious although I wish that some unfamiliar or hidden treasures had been discovered.  The book is flawed but the music, dance and scenic design are exceptional.  Enjoy!

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#70AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 4:12pm

I love both shows very much, but An American in Paris just needs to be seen to be believed in many ways. On the Town is fantastic, and if you can somehow find a way to squeeze it in there, you absolutely should. But, I'd choose American in Paris over On the Town. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#71AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 4:37pm

This is one instance in which I was anticipating a review from Queen Ben ... Was trying to get my friend to see this with me but of course she won't... 

Clumsy: What makes 'An American in Paris' better than 'On the Town'? Besides Robert Fairchild's looks? AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

EricMontreal22
#72AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 4:53pm

"" think it was in reference to the fact that both musicals are based on classic movies set in Paris.
Both those films were also directed by Vincent Minnelli."

Both were produced by Arthur Freed.

Both starred Leslie Caron.

Both, rather than simply being set in Paris, are love letters to the city.

Both won Oscars for Best Picture."

And...  Alan Jay Lerner wrote both.

EricMontreal22
#73AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 4:53pm

"No wonder!"

AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews

Theatrical Landladies Profile Photo
Theatrical Landladies
#74AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 5:40pm

We managed to see AAIP as the last show of the quartet we saw in March. These included On The 20th Century (the main reason for our trip from Scotland),  Finding Neverland and It Shoulda Been You!  While Kristen's performance was the absolute highlight of our trip the most enjoyable and thrilling show was AAIP! The dancing and the overall performances were exhilarating!  Later the mixed reviews on this site were bewildering.

SO glad to see the professional reviews being positive!  Congratulations to the cast and production team!

PS Still rooting for OTTC for best revival (though have no concrete evidence it was, sorry) and for Kristen as best actress! All biased so please just go with it!

"Your eyes..... they shine like the pants on my blue serge suit"