American in Paris: $30 Tkts?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#1American in Paris: $30 Tkts?
Posted: 5/14/15 at 1:22am

So, according to Telecharge - or the other one? - there are $30 tickets available to American in Paris. I can't seem to find them. I don't see an option to find the next available tickets, etc, and I hate their website, so I gave up. Do these tickets exist? I have zero interest in this show - I hate dance heavy shows - but it seems to be doing well and if it's  Tony front runner I'd like to see it. 

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#2American in Paris: $30 Tkts?
Posted: 5/14/15 at 1:27am

You have to go early in the AM and wait in line and yes, you're going to hate this show. It's really not that good and the people in the audience were obnoxious and talked throughout the show, moved, made noise with candy wraps...etc.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

loliveve Profile Photo
loliveve
#2American in Paris: $30 Tkts?
Posted: 5/14/15 at 1:37am

^ Wow; I had a totally different experience with the audience... no candy wrappers or talking (though there was plenty of that at Finding Neverland).

RippedMan- I wouldn't call myself a fan of dance-heavy shows, but I thought An American in Paris was very beautiful overall. I was a bit worried because the opening ballet sequence was long to me (lots of dance, very little talking), but I became engaged in the show as it went along. I even thought it was very interesting how the set pieces were, for lack of a better way to say it, "danced" on stage, rather than just pushed into place.  So despite my concerns, I enjoyed the show. I hope that if you do choose to see it, you enjoy it as well!

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#3American in Paris: $30 Tkts?
Posted: 5/14/15 at 1:41am

"I have zero interest in this show - I hate dance heavy shows ... I'd like to see it."

If I hadn't been drinking so heavily tonight celebrating the New York Rangers playoff win over the Caps, I'd swear these statements directly contradict each other.  But I'm pretty drunk so I could be wrong.

loliveve Profile Photo
loliveve
#4American in Paris: $30 Tkts?
Posted: 5/14/15 at 1:44am

""I have zero interest in this show - I hate dance heavy shows ... I'd like to see it."
If I hadn't been drinking so heavily tonight celebrating the New York Rangers playoff win over the Caps, I'd swear these statements directly contradict each other.  But I'm pretty drunk so I could be wrong."

Drunk or sober, you're correct American in Paris: $30 Tkts?  

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#5American in Paris: $30 Tkts?
Posted: 5/14/15 at 1:45am

Fisherman Bob, I'm about 3 tequilas in, but I do WANT to see this show. I like to see everything. You never know what will connect with you and inspire you. I'm just not a big fan of dance heavy shows. Which I know this is, but still, it's getting praise, so I'd like to see it. Fun Home is my show for the win, but this seems to be the dark horse, so if it does win, I'd like to see it so I can at least have some opinion on the matter. 

BIG BALONEY Profile Photo
BIG BALONEY
#6American in Paris: $30 Tkts?
Posted: 5/14/15 at 6:27am

WAITED OVER AN HOUR FOR BOX OFFICE TO OPEN TO GET THESE RUSH TICKETS. THE SEATS ARE LAST ROW BALCONY. NO WORTH THE WAIT.

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#7American in Paris: $30 Tkts?
Posted: 5/14/15 at 8:05am

"WAITED OVER AN HOUR FOR BOX OFFICE TO OPEN TO GET THESE RUSH TICKETS. THE SEATS ARE LAST ROW BALCONY. NO WORTH THE WAIT."

Actually, when my friend & I rushed and were given last row balcony, it wasn't terrible. Because it was a dance-centric show, you could see everything that was happening on stage. Yes, you don't see the details but that didn't take away from the fine performances.

Michael19
#8American in Paris: $30 Tkts?
Posted: 5/14/15 at 10:06am

They are now selling $22 standing room behind the last row in the rear mezzanine.   I believe they sell them on the day but not sure the time; I got mine just before curtain.  The show is really wonderful.

brdway411
#9American in Paris: $30 Tkts?
Posted: 5/14/15 at 2:26pm

I hated this show. The songs are too short and I am not a fan of dance heavy shows. Glad I got the horrible $30 tickets.

neonlightsxo
#10American in Paris: $30 Tkts?
Posted: 5/14/15 at 2:29pm

I had a rear mezz seat with a discount and liked the view, so I imagine the standing room is a good view as well.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#11American in Paris: $30 Tkts?
Posted: 5/14/15 at 4:17pm

I am shocked they are selling out the Palace...how?? Word of mouth ain't great, their marketing team seems the least interesting out of Rotten, Fun Home, Gigi, and Neverland...what are they doing to fill all those seats?

loliveve Profile Photo
loliveve
#12American in Paris: $30 Tkts?
Posted: 5/14/15 at 4:23pm

^ I think word of mouth is better than you may realize.  The show has been consistently been at 90% or more capacity (usually more like 95-98%).  And it has received tons of nominations, which gets people there too (kind of like the OP, who wasn't interested before the nominations).

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#13American in Paris: $30 Tkts?
Posted: 5/14/15 at 4:28pm

I judge word of mouth from what I see online and social media sites. Word of mouth for AAIP on BWW was awful from the moment they started previews, and no one else is talking about it on Tumblr, etc. 

neonlightsxo
#14American in Paris: $30 Tkts?
Posted: 5/14/15 at 4:37pm

Believe it or not, Tumblr is not the audience they're looking for.

It's a well known, beloved movie, that people of many nationalities are familiar with.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#15American in Paris: $30 Tkts?
Posted: 5/14/15 at 6:01pm

Whether you believe it or not, someone's showing up to the show. It's selling well. Which is why I'd like to see it! 

de_lovely Profile Photo
de_lovely
#16American in Paris: $30 Tkts?
Posted: 5/14/15 at 6:51pm

I sat in the center of the balcony, second row- those seats are truly awful and I think it's partly why I did not enjoy this show. I suspect the projections looks better when you're not looking straight down.

If you want to see this show, spring for the nicer seats I'd say.

rjm516
#17American in Paris: $30 Tkts?
Posted: 5/14/15 at 8:04pm

Has a Broadway show ever put standing room in the mezzanine before? 

mamaleh
#18American in Paris: $30 Tkts?
Posted: 5/14/15 at 10:53pm

IIRC, didn't the Liev Schreiber A VIEW FROM THE BRIDGE offer standing room behind the mezz?

i liked my first row balcony seat to AAIP.  Side, second seat in. Not obstructed at all. Seat on aisle was obstructed, however. Person sitting next to me in that seat moved farther back and more to the side.  

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#19American in Paris: $30 Tkts?
Posted: 5/15/15 at 10:06am

Has a Broadway show ever put standing room in the mezzanine before?

When WEST SIDE STORY was at the Palace, they sold standing room for three different price points: orchestra, mezzanine, and balcony. It all depends on whether the theater has space to offer standing room.

This is a long show, and I wouldn't want to stand for it. I sat in the back row of the balcony and I thought it was a great view for this show.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."
Updated On: 5/15/15 at 10:06 AM

dev101
#20American in Paris: $30 Tkts?
Posted: 5/18/15 at 11:31am

if you download the Todaytix app you can get a good deal on tickets, plus use code RSDSI and get $20 off. probably a better deal than $30 for the last row