"Fun Home" on The View

FindingNamo
#25Re:
Posted: 5/28/15 at 4:40pm

I don't blame them for choosing the safety of the children.  Our culture is terribly unkind about the looks and the very existence of butch women.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Dave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
#26Re:
Posted: 5/28/15 at 4:43pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujyhm50AMT0

Here is the Clip. 

Not to be confused with Dave19.

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#27Re:
Posted: 5/28/15 at 5:00pm

That's the clip everyone is being dicks about? 

It's adorable.  Jesus.  

ebontoyan
#28Re:
Posted: 5/28/15 at 6:54pm

They should have done 'Changing my Major' it will be interesting to see the reaction of the morning show audience and on Twitter! (Although may be too risqué for a morning show and a few of the lyrics will be bleeped out) lol And I bet 90% of the View audience does not know the FH storyline

Updated On: 5/28/15 at 06:54 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#29Re:
Posted: 5/28/15 at 6:56pm

Well they sure didn't mention that it deals with gay and lesbian themes. I'd think it was intentional. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#30Re:
Posted: 5/28/15 at 8:33pm

I would guess 90% of COUBTRY doesn't know what Fun Home (or most musicals are about.

They did show a kiss between Joan and middle Alison during the clips, however 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

sephyr
#31Re:
Posted: 5/29/15 at 12:49am

I've seen the show and seen the kids sing the song outside the show (Shubert Alley) and both times were wonderful. The kids all can definitely sing and dance and I was impressed. 

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#32Re:
Posted: 5/29/15 at 11:01am

This was probably my least favorite number of the show... It just felt very tacked on.

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

RingOfKeys2 Profile Photo
RingOfKeys2
#33Re:
Posted: 6/1/15 at 4:28am

Their performance on The View didn't encapsulate the essence or greatness of Fun Home by any means. But I see why they chose that song. It gives away very little plot and is probably one of the more marketable numbers for the majority of viewers who know nothing about it. It's showing off a little bit of the show without really giving away anything. It almost makes the show more sacred. 

indytallguy
#34Re:
Posted: 6/1/15 at 6:46am

"This was probably my least favorite number of the show... It just felt very tacked on.

"

The video clip of Tesori and Kron talking about behind the music of Fun Home gives a good rationale for why this wasn't just tacked on and instead is a good representation of the way families with funeral home connections felt about living like that.

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#35Re:
Posted: 6/1/15 at 2:03pm

"This was probably my least favorite number of the show... It just felt very tacked on."

If there's any number that felt tacked on, for me, it was Raincoat of Love. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#36Re:
Posted: 6/1/15 at 2:09pm

""This was probably my least favorite number of the show... It just felt very tacked on."

The video clip of Tesori and Kron talking about behind the music of Fun Home gives a good rationale for why this wasn't just tacked on and instead is a good representation of the way families with funeral home connections felt about living like that."

Indy, I hadn't seen that video yet so thanks for pointing that out. I was actually thinking about this discussion this morning and the same rationale occurred to me. It was important to show that living in a funeral home didn't feel creepy to the kids - otherwise it would be the elephant in the room for people (most of us) unfamiliar with living like that. I had a classmate growing up that lived in a funeral home and I remember feeling weirded out the first time I went to her house.

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

FindingNamo
#37Re:
Posted: 6/1/15 at 2:10pm

"Raincoat…" worked a bit better downtown, in my opinion.  But the trade off for the uptown staging was worth it.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Mr Smith
#38Re:
Posted: 6/1/15 at 7:26pm

I felt they were way out of tune. 

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#39Re:
Posted: 6/1/15 at 7:31pm

They sound great on the cast recording. I think there was something off with the sound and it seemed like they were rushed in the View performance. That said, I still found it to be a cute performance.

mj21723 Profile Photo
mj21723
#40Re:
Posted: 6/1/15 at 8:47pm

The boys are not on the cast recording.  It is the Off-Broadway cast.  I felt they were much more in tune and in sync in this song than this performance.  Have not seen the show on Broadway yet.