pixeltracker

Way too early 2016 Tony predictions- Page 4

Way too early 2016 Tony predictions

Falling
#75Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 7/17/15 at 10:54am

Even Book of Mormon didn't sweep every category. I think for the male acting categories, it COULD, but I still hold to the belief that certain people (Takei, MAYBE Burstein) are going to give them a run. (I have NO DOUBT Hamilton sweeps book, score, the techs, direction and musical.) But, I do think The Color Purple has a leg up in the actress categories-it's an actress heavy piece with well-crafted female roles (and Cynthia Erivo is coming with a lot of fanfare, as is Jennifer Hudson). Takei is very widely loved and could take the sole award for Allegiance. I think Hamilton sweeps in noms (much like BOM did) but not wins. (And I'll up the count to 10...orchestrations.)

Updated On: 7/17/15 at 10:54 AM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#76Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 7/17/15 at 10:56am

Hamilton is being billed as the greatest show ever produced. I stand by my statement. It even sweeps non musical categories because it is so great .

Poster Emeritus

Falling
#77Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 7/17/15 at 11:10am

OK, I guess there is no point in discoursing with you. Since it's ineligible for Best Play or any category associated with plays or for revival of a musical, I think your hyperbole is over the top. Hamilton will win at least 10 Tonys. I stand by MY predictions. There are other shows this season.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#78Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 7/17/15 at 11:15am

You obviously missed my point . I was being facetious.I am so over the hype about Hamilton . It has not even opened yet and people are willing to mortgage their house or sell one of their kidneys to afford seeing it.

I wish it luck and know it will run a good long time. I simply do not care is what I was trying to say.

Poster Emeritus

curiousincident
#79Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 7/18/15 at 7:40pm

I think that Christopher Jackson (George Washington in Hamilton) has a good chance of a nomination for best featured actor, as well as many of the other Hamilton boys. But Daniel Durant, who I believe will be staying with Spring Awakening for Broadway, will probably get a nomination (and maybe win) as well.

Updated On: 7/18/15 at 07:40 PM

Broadwaystar2
#80Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 7/18/15 at 9:47pm

You do realize Spring Awakening will be over MONTHS before the TONYS to be making such a definite prediction?

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#81Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/19/15 at 10:27am

Sorry for bringing this thread back. Looks like its been dead for about a month now.

As far as Featured Actress noms go, I think it'll be

• Renée Elise Goldsberry - Hamilton
  • Phillipa Soo - Hamilton (I've heard she's featured, not leading?)
  • Krysta Rodriguez - Spring Awakening (I'm aware it closes in January, and six months is a long time. This is more of wishful thinking. Although I do truly believe she deserves it just as much as the "Hamilton" ladies.)

I don't know. This is my short list for who I think deserve the nominations. I really hope after some of you see "Spring Awakening" you'll see what I'm talking about with Krysta. I think this is a star turn for her. Too bad it's limited.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#82Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/19/15 at 10:45am

^Performances in limited runs have been nominated before. It's really only a matter of how much competition could get in the way.

Please keep in mind that the other potential candidates we may have this season are...
Sierra Boggess-School of Rock (unless she goes Leading)
Danielle Brooks-The Color Purple
Andrea Burns-On Your Feet!
Katie Rose Clarke-Allegiance
Jessica Hecht-Fiddler on the Roof
Jennifer Hudson-The Color Purple
Joaquina Kalukango-The Color Purple
Jane Krakowski-She Loves Me
Keala Settle-Waitress (if she ends up staying)
Whoever is gonna be playing Trina in Falsettos

Updated On: 8/19/15 at 10:45 AM

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#83Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/19/15 at 10:52am

Why would Krysta Rodriguez be deserving of a nomination? She hasn't played the role yet.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

CindersGolightly
#84Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/19/15 at 10:56am

You do realize it's a transfer production, right? I saw her in LA. I'm not just saying it because I like her. I'm saying it because I saw it.

Updated On: 8/19/15 at 10:56 AM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#85Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/19/15 at 11:08am

I would honestly be shocked if Renée Elise Goldsberry doesn't take home the Tony. I fell in love with each and every performance I saw at Hamilton last week, but hers was something special. She was an absolutely exquisite performer. She's the sole shoo-in for a performance Tony that I'm predicting from the show.

Falling
#86Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/19/15 at 11:16am

BroadwayConcierge-I think Hamilton is about the MEN. Having seen both incarnations, I still think it's about the men-particularly Leslie Odom, Jr. and Daveed Diggs to a lesser extent. (Odom is giving the best performance in the show, IMO.)

I think Goldsberry is good-excellent in fact-and WILL score a nod. But, Jennifer Hudson and the ladies from The Color Purple, as well as Lea Salonga and Krysta Rodriguez, can provide ample competition. There are also plenty of shows coming. Goldsberry will get the nod (and I would NOT be surprised OR disappointed (I liked her a great deal) if she wins...but it's a very tough category).

Updated On: 8/19/15 at 11:16 AM

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#87Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/19/15 at 11:17am

Sorry Cinders, I thought she just joined the production and hadnt begun performances yet.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

BroadwayConcierge
#88Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/19/15 at 11:18am

Does anyone know when the first round of Tony committee rulings is to be expected? 

OKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
#89Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/19/15 at 11:47am

For the 2015 Tony Awards, they met on the following dates:

Updated On: 8/19/15 at 11:47 AM

TayeDiggsIsaDonkeyD
#90Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/19/15 at 11:49am

Having seen Deaf West's Spring Awakening in LA this summer, you guys are totally underestimating it. Krysta Rodriguez is going to take best Supporting Actress in a Musical. New York does not know what it's are in for once this show opens next month. This is the most beautiful production I have every seen and I see everything.

BroadwayConcierge
#91Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/19/15 at 11:50am

Wow, nicely done, OKBroadwayFan! Thanks!

So can we safely assume that Hamilton's performance category considerations will be determined by mid-November?

OKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
#92Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/19/15 at 11:53am

I would also assume that the number of productions ready for review would be a determining factor.   There had been 7 shows that opened by early November.

CindersGolightly
#93Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/19/15 at 1:31pm

"Having seen Deaf West's Spring Awakening in LA this summer, you guys are totally underestimating it. Krysta Rodriguez is going to take best Supporting Actress in a Musical. New York does not know what it's are in for once this show opens next month. This is the most beautiful production I have ever seen and I see everything."

COMPLETELY agree. And such a long overdue nomination for Krysta, in my opinion. I don't think they can ignore what a force she is as Ilse. Also, not to throw Lauren Pritchard under the bus, but Ilse finally has meat on her bones and a heart. I mean, I always loved the idea of her, but felt she was never brought into fruition as she could have been in the OBC. That being said, all the more reason for the nomination. She breathes a totally new life into this character, and amen.

TayeDiggsIsaDonkeyD
#94Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/19/15 at 1:47pm

"COMPLETELY agree. And such a long overdue nomination for Krysta, in my opinion. I don't think they can ignore what a force she is as Ilse. Also, not to throw Lauren Pritchard under the bus, but Ilse finally has meat on her bones and a heart. I mean, I always loved the idea of her, but felt she was never brought into fruition as she could have been in the OBC. That being said, all the more reason for the nomination. She breathes a totally new life into this character, and amen."

"Song of Purple Summer" had me chewing my face off to fight back tears. I have never felt this way in a theater unless I brought my own emotional baggage like seeing someones/ a shows final performance. I'm flying out just to see this again in October. It is all beyond words especially if you are already familiar with the show. Considering  Hudson will also deliver an emotional performance, I think Krysta will give it a great fight and will definitely be in the running. She gives all of herself.

David2 Profile Photo
David2
#95Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/19/15 at 9:06pm

Jessie Mueller has a very strong chance for a nomination in Waitress. She is absolutely incredible 

ChiTheaterFan
#96Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/19/15 at 9:52pm

CindersGolightly said: "

• Phillipa Soo - Hamilton (I've heard she's featured, not leading?

"

I don't think it's clear. She was nominated for a Lucille Lortel for lead. Is that indicative of anything? I've no idea--I agree that the men are more central characters in this show but I can see the producers petitioning for her in the lead category so both she and Renee could be nominated without competing.  As to whether that has any chance of being successful I have no basis for expressing an opinion. 

I'm still most interested to see whether Leslie odom jr is lead or featured. To me he could easily be lead but I can see it going either way given the depth of talent. I can't wait to find out!  When does that happen?

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#97Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/19/15 at 10:15pm

I think Jessie has a strong chance at WINNING again.

REG will win featured

Danny Burstein will win lead

featured male-someone from hamilton or shuffle along

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

mailhandler777
#98Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/20/15 at 8:51am

TayeDiggsIsaDonkeyD said: "Krysta Rodriguez is going to take best Supporting Actress in a Musical."

You mean Featured Actress in a musical?

I have no clue who will be nominated for what but I hope that Jessie Mueller gets one for Waitress if she indeed transfers with it to Broadway which I'm sure she will. 

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)
Updated On: 8/20/15 at 08:51 AM

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#99Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/21/15 at 9:13pm

If SPRING AWAKENING catches on as it should, it could still be around at tony time in a different Theatre like the Needer.