pixeltracker

THE VISIT cast recording out digitally today- Page 4

THE VISIT cast recording out digitally today

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#75THE VISIT cast performance & signing
Posted: 7/10/15 at 12:45pm

You already ordered it, Taz?? I was gonna send you a present!

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#76THE VISIT cast performance & signing
Posted: 7/10/15 at 12:52pm

THE VISIT cast performance & signing

....but the world goes 'round

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#77THE VISIT cast performance & signing
Posted: 7/10/15 at 1:23pm

It's weird that Jason Danieley wasn't at the signing. He was such a cheerleader for the show.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

VintageSnarker
#78THE VISIT cast performance & signing
Posted: 7/10/15 at 2:55pm

"Tazber... The room was full to capacity (so 102) and about a dozen were eager hopeful that they might be allowed in once those inside were finished."

I got there around 6:40, bought my CD and managed to get one of the last 10 or so seats in the room. I don't think the performances were great just because they lose a lot out of context and the mics didn't seem to be properly calibrated. John Riddle's voice is so strong he didn't really need the mic. It just wasn't what anyone's first experience of those songs should be. That said, I don't think it was most people's first experience with those songs and it was so amazing to feel all the love in that room. Though people need to chill with the standing ovations and paparazzi photos. The line was very efficient but I got to say one or two things to most of the cast so that was nice. I lingered a bit with John Kander until I was ushered along. 

Is Danieley working on that reading of Secondhand Lions? Elena Shaddow was also missing. I think she's doing Cinderella at MUNY.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#79THE VISIT cast performance & signing
Posted: 7/10/15 at 3:54pm

Morosco, did you do rush shipping or standard?

From my experience with Amazon pre-orders when you do rush shipping its set to arrive on the release date whereas with regular shipping it ships on the release date.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#81THE VISIT cast performance & signing
Posted: 7/10/15 at 4:54pm

I just checked and my CD is set to ship Monday from Amazon.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#82THE VISIT cast performance & signing
Posted: 7/10/15 at 5:23pm

Thanks for posting the video, Jordan!

I thought "I Must Have Been Something" was an odd choice of song to perform, but I now understand why they did it considering how it was received, and Tom and John had a lot of fun doing it.

Speaking of John Riddle, I could listen to him sing "You, You, You" all day long. I hope he comes back to the stage in a musical soon!

I thought they would cut "Love and Love Alone" for the extended dance portion, but I thought leaving the music with Chita talking over it and then just letting everyone appreciate it was a lovely decision.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#83THE VISIT cast performance & signing
Posted: 7/10/15 at 5:29pm

I am so grateful for this wonderful album. I really miss this show. THE VISIT cast performance & signing

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#84THE VISIT cast performance & signing
Posted: 7/12/15 at 12:53am

Just finished listening to the cast album. I've made it clear on this board before that I was NOT a fan of the show, and I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

I think it's 2nd-rate (maybe even 3rd-rate) Kander and Ebb, but it definitely has some great parts. In particular, the orchestrations are excellent. I didn't notice them during the show. I'm surprised it didn't get nominated over Something Rotten.

It had a perfect cast, acceptable/good score, a compelling story and compelling themes, great set design, great orchestrations. Why did I dislike it so much? I think it must have been Doyle's direction and McNally's book that ruined it for me. 

Well, at least it lives on in a pretty good cast album. 

Updated On: 7/12/15 at 12:53 AM

ARTc3
#85THE VISIT cast performance & signing
Posted: 7/12/15 at 12:06pm

I waited till today because I've recently signed up for Apple Music and I was sure it would be available today. Its in the iTunes Store, but not on Apple Music.

Anyone know why?

ARTc3 formerly ARTc. Actually been a poster since 2004. My name isn't Art. Drop the "3" and say the signature and you'll understand.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#86THE VISIT cast performance & signing
Posted: 5/8/16 at 3:27am

I'm still loving this album. I'm so sad the show wasn't even close to being a hit! It surprises me given in theory there were a lot of 'right' choices made (prestigious creative team, Broadway star, spring opening, intriguing marketing, good theatre size/choice). Perhaps it needed a NFP subscription audience to get off the ground.  

I've been reflecting on the Tony campaign the producers went through, comparing the show to classics that didn't win best musical: Gypsy, West Side Story and Chicago, and urging voters to be on the "right side of history" and vote it as the Best Musical this time round. I think what those musicals had going for them at the time is that they were quite innovative...I don't know if there is anything particularly innovative about The Visit. To me, it feels like it ticks all the boxes of what made shows great/new/interesting in the 70s and 80s (e.g., that classic 'Broadway' style; 'dark' themes; subtext in songs such as "Yellow Shoes" where the meaning of the song isn't necessarily evident from a literal interpretation of the lyrics). It almost feels nostalgic and I kind of consider it a companion to some of my favourite other shows from that time (in particular, Sweeney Todd and Follies). 

In the year 2015 it probably didn't deserve Best Musical, but I love it all the more for that. I hope some other Broadway divas get their shot at the leading role in future. Seems like a versatile role to me and I could easily imagine any of the following divas taking it on:  Bernadette Peters; Patti LuPone; Christine Ebersole; Alice Ripley; Donna Murphy; Marin Mazzie.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#87THE VISIT cast performance & signing
Posted: 5/8/16 at 4:15am

I was just listening to the album today and this really is a little gem of a show.  It does feel very nostalgic.  I wish it had opened in a year where there wasn't so much overshadowing it.

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#88THE VISIT cast performance & signing
Posted: 5/8/16 at 12:47pm

Agreed with the above posters. I constantly find myself coming back to this cast album as it really is wonderful.  While I wouldn't consider it Kander and Ebb's best work, it certainly is better than many scores coming out these days. And John Riddle singing "You, You, You" takes my breath away every time.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#89THE VISIT cast performance & signing
Posted: 5/8/16 at 1:15pm

I had such a profound connection with this show from WTF to Broadway, and with Rees passing away so quickly, I find it difficult to go back to this cast recording, although it really is a lovely score and album. 

broadwayboy223
#90THE VISIT cast performance & signing
Posted: 5/8/16 at 1:25pm

I love this show and the album. It truly is a beautiful score. I hope when another diva tackles it (Patti, Bernadette etc) they raise some of the keys. I Walk Away would be thrilling if it ended on a belt note.

TotallyEffed
#91THE VISIT cast performance & signing
Posted: 5/8/16 at 1:43pm

I don't think the men playing the eunuchs could go much higher than that! :)

I love this show so, so much.

theatreguy12
#92THE VISIT cast performance & signing
Posted: 5/8/16 at 3:07pm

I really liked this show a lot too.  And getting to see Chita again on a NY stage is always magical.

It's not my favorite K&E, but I still found it mesmerizing, and engaging.  And the music was great.  

binau Profile Photo
binau
#93THE VISIT cast performance & signing
Posted: 5/9/16 at 1:52am

broadwayboy223 said: "I love this show and the album. It truly is a beautiful score. I hope when another diva tackles it (Patti, Bernadette etc) they raise some of the keys. I Walk Away would be thrilling if it ended on a belt note.

"

I agree "I Walk Away" is a great diva moment that should end on a big belt...and I actually think that is exactly what Chita was trying to achieve in her performance. Perhaps this reflects a weakness in her vocal performance. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

TotallyEffed
#94THE VISIT cast performance & signing
Posted: 5/9/16 at 3:47am

She's 83.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#95THE VISIT cast performance & signing
Posted: 5/9/16 at 6:24am

And regardless if the sctress' age , the character is old.  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#96THE VISIT cast performance & signing
Posted: 5/17/16 at 4:14am

So I understand that the character is supposed to be old, and probably should sound aged - there is a demo recording of "Love and Love Alone" sung by someone (not sure who) that is a lot younger than Chita and Lansbury (who also recorded a demo), and it is much less impactful in my opinion (it's harder to really believe in this case that the character really is offering the perspective of a woman reflecting on a lot of life experience). Had it were sung by a younger person with a lot of long sustained notes, it would have been disingenuous the same way that people criticise over the top vocal performances of "Send in the Clowns" or in a way that Chita herself hilariously parodied in "Kiss of the Spider Woman" (somehow a woman who is shot and dying in street has enough breath and voice to belt out a final ode before kicking the bucket). And it's not just that song - it's probably good to have a contrast between the young/naive/fresh voices of the couple in "You, You, You" compared with the older/jaded/worn out voices of the couple after each had their own form of life-long suffering. 

HOWEVER, at times I do think the the score might have a bit more impact with a little more vocal stamina/power from the leading role (particularly "I Walk Away" and "A Confession"THE VISIT cast performance & signing, both leading roles even. I'm not suggesting I would have rather it been any other way for the original cast - Chita turns out a very fine acting performance on the recording (disappointed they didn't include certain dialogue - her line readings before the testimony scene were chilling). But I can see opportunity for future leading actors to provide a different interpretation/performance. 

Updated On: 5/17/16 at 04:14 AM

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#97THE VISIT cast performance & signing
Posted: 10/1/16 at 1:29pm

I'm sorry to bump an old thread, but this seemed like the most appropriate place for my request:

Does anyone have a men's The Visit logo tee in a small or medium that they'd be willing to part with? I've been looking for one for a really long time, and after I found it on BroadwayStore.com they ended up mixing up my package with someone else's. I never received it, they haven't replied to any of my emails to them trying to rectify the situation, and now it's sold out in my sizes online. Please DM me if you have one and would be willing to sell it!

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#98THE VISIT cast performance & signing
Posted: 10/2/16 at 12:10am

Hell, that "Kiss of the Spider Woman" example is nothing compared to "Miss Saigon," where Kim shoots herself in the head and THEN sings the finale.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#99THE VISIT cast performance & signing
Posted: 10/2/16 at 12:20am

I think the show itself is great. It just wasn't the right production. I think it needs a more lavish approach to work. And I'd love to see it done with 2 actors who can really sing. I didn't find either of the leads particularly interesting to watch - I KNOW I KNOW - but honestly just wasn't engaged in it. But I love the music/story.