pixeltracker

Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread- Page 2

Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#25Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 9:50am

Little Shop generally only runs 1:40, with intermission. I can't imagine this is much of a deviation from that.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

gimlet2
#26Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 9:59am

The reminder email from NYCC said approx 2hrs

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#27Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 10:03am

You have to add in an extra 20 mins of applause for Ellen throughout the show. 

Gothampc
#28Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 10:06am

It's too bad they can't do like London's National Theatre and broadcast this in movie theaters.  Or at least get it on PBS.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Jordan Catalano
#29Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 11:20am

We need a cable channel devoted to theater. Christ, there's an entire channel that's nothing but Golf and another one that's just people fishing. It's past time for "WOBC" - The Theater Station. 

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#30Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 11:21am

I just called the box office and was told the running time was 2:30. Wow! 

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

egnarotsew Profile Photo
egnarotsew
#31Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 11:25am

"You have to add in an extra 20 mins of applause for Ellen throughout the show. "

^ yes!

neonlightsxo
#32Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 11:27am

NJ_BroadwayGirl, I'm not sure how that is possible. Unless this is a "new" Little Shop.

NJ_BroadwayGirl
#33Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 11:39am

The customer service rep put me on hold for a bit and came back with that response so who knows. Again, that's what they told me. Hoping one of the folks who was there last night can offer more insight.

I'm trying to decide on train vs driving from NJ.

Jordan Catalano
#34Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 11:56am

Last nights performance ended around 9:45.

NJ_BroadwayGirl
#35Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 11:58am

"Last nights performance ended around 9:45."

Thank you! Starting at 7:30 or 8?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#36Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 11:58am

do they have an ensemble for the show? Nothing's listed in any of the press releases.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#37Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 12:00pm

If they're sticking to the show as written, there's no ensemble.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#38Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 12:11pm

Slightly OT but does anyone have a restaurant recommendation around City Center? Looking for something sit down that's good and fairly cheap. I usually go places on 9th Ave because it's less crazy but I don't want to be so far from the theatre. 

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

LarryD2
#39Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 12:19pm

I usually go to La Bonne Soupe, which is just up the block. I also like Abboccato, which is directly across the street from City Center -- though it's a bit more expensive.

Jordan Catalano
#40Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 12:34pm

Started at 7:30 last night. 

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#41Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 12:35pm

Are they using the large or the small orchestrations?

BroadwayKiwi
#42Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 12:38pm

"You think this will transfer kiwi? Perhaps the Brooks Atkinson?"

Sadly I think it won't...as terrific as it is, I'm sure the TV/film celebs will have other things to go on to - plus Ms Greene probably wouldn't want to do it night after night, no matter how much energy that entrance applause gives her. She actually tried to shut it up a couple of times before the crowd got the hint and very amazingly all stopped at the same moment. Freaky.

It's definitely semi-staged (even mostly-staged) with stylized "deaths" etc, and scripts are sometimes in hand (Ellen, never. Plant voice,  never. Dentist, never, but when he played his act 2 characters he used it. Jake, in hand, but hardly looked at it - and oh man can he sing!!! Mushnik, used quite a lot. Girls trio, carried and used in choreography, but not looked at).

The plants aren't puppets, more like stationary representations...so the mouths don't open/close etc etc. The final plant is just Eddie Cooper in a huge green pimp-plant overcoat...his voice was really thrilling, so people will enjoy Feed Me and Audrey's death(?). The SNL gentleman was so diverse and had a perfect sense of theatre. Fantastic.

The Finale had a screen descend with all these Little Shop "facts" flashing on and on (x number of productions... X dollars profit made from the movie etc) which were all interesting but you could either read that or watch the finale. So on a night of great artistry all-round, suddenly seeing that felt a bit "gala anniversary of a community theatre"... It would have worked during the play out instead. 

Total time (I thought) was one hour and fifty mins. There was some pacing lost in the first scene (script turning, unsure of lines, tentative delivery etc) but that will disappear.

I think the next two nights will be brilliant and can't wait to read other peoples' thoughts Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread Enjoy if you're going!

BroadwayKiwi
#43Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 12:41pm

"Are they using the large or the small orchestrations?"

Small - but sounding big! 

Jordan Catalano
#44Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 12:43pm

In just a few weeks we've gotten the original cast of INTO THE WOODS as well as Ellen Greene's Audrey. Seriously, this is just an embarrassment of riches. 

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#45Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 12:50pm

If anyone is able to grab an extra signed or unsigned playbill, I would be more than happy to pay for your trouble and/or shipping. Even though I can't be there, I'd love to have at least a small momento to attest to the fact that this happened!

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#46Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 1:07pm

"We need a cable channel devoted to theater. Christ, there's an entire channel that's nothing but Golf and another one that's just people fishing. It's past time for "WOBC" - The Theater Station. "

This is genius!! We seriously should

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

cjmclaughlin10
#47Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 4:40pm

anyone who got on the rush line for tonight, what was your experience like?

also, what is the merch situation?

cjmclaughlin10
#48Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 4:41pm

sorry...i meant cancelation line

SantanaLopez Profile Photo
SantanaLopez
#49Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 4:57pm

I really want to get tickets for this, so if anyone has any information on the rush line it would be greatly appreciated.

Wanky!