pixeltracker

Penn & Teller on Broadway- Page 3

Penn & Teller on Broadway

dave1606
#50Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/10/15 at 11:19am

I was there last night, and have to say, I was a fan. My boyfriend is quite a big fan of Penn & Teller,(he watched all of there shows, etc has seen them in Vegas) but I really only ever have seen their stuff on TV in passing so it was all mostly new.

First off, Whizzer is dead on about the political stuff. The Metal detector bit is such a waste (of $5K???) and the audiences time because it does not result in even a good trick.  You could feel the audience uncomfortable here, just waiting for the bit to end and I was definitely in that camp.

Luckily the rest of the show is a delight. Penn does a great job setting up each trick, and I liked learning a little bit about the history of certain things.  The best thing I can say about the show, is that each bit seemed to have a personal meaning to the two of them. The final speech before the fire is really wonderful and I think is a great way to understand why they both got into their line of work.

Teller is incredible, and really is the best thing about their act. If Penn is the face of Penn & Teller, Teller definitely is the one behind nearly all of their tricks.  Highlights for me: The Fishbowl, The Cow, and the bit sitting at the table and the needles. Watching Teller on his own is mesmerizing, and his command of a stage without speaking is quite impressive.

I may not want to go see a magic show every night, but I will say it was an enjoyable evening, and I got a greater appreciation for them both from it.   Also, I liked seeing them afterwards taking time to interact with their fans. A very nice touch. 

Pammylicious Profile Photo
Pammylicious
#51Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/10/15 at 11:25am

Have to say not one empty seat in the house.  How many of you realized Penn was playing bass for a while with the pianist pre-show?

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#52Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/10/15 at 11:40am

I'm a little surprised by people who are surprised by the political content of the act. Penn Jillette is very much a media figure first, magician second. His famous combination of ponytail, neckbeard and fedora has become a semi-ironic "uniform" for the libertarian atheist cliche. 

I can certainly imagine disagreeing with Penn, but I can't really imagine his act without his views and persona, as they have become as much part of the character as the tricks themselves. 

Liza's Headband
#53Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/10/15 at 12:00pm

What is more telling is that people are "uncomfortable" with this musings. That is scary and dangerous. If people had a more open mind to differing viewpoints, perhaps they would see he is merely utilizing this platform to promote a healthy perspective that is rightfully skeptical of Corporate America and our own corrupt government. Nothing wrong with that at all. Comedians, politicians, pop culture icons, actors, commentators, activists, artists, writers and journalists do it every day... Why can't Penn?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#54Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/10/15 at 12:17pm

"You could feel the audience uncomfortable here, just waiting for the bit to end"

First show where the audience is using projections?

FindingNamo
#55Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/10/15 at 12:18pm

Wow it doesn't take much to bring the closeted right-leaning (redundant) libertarian back out of the woodwork.  Don't be ashamed.  Just don't call yourself a centrist.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

brdway411
#56Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/10/15 at 12:20pm

I didnt get that anyone was uncomfortable at all and based on the number of metal Bill of Rights they sold, (was standing by the merch cart waiting to get my book signed) it was quite effective.

Liza's Headband
#57Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/10/15 at 12:22pm

That is wonderful to hear. I wish more people carried around a copy of the Bill of Rights. Perhaps that would help to squelch the unjust and illegal tyranny of law enforcement. Know your rights, people. 

FindingNamo
#58Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/10/15 at 1:25pm

Know your rights

Number one
You have the right not to be killed
Murder is a crime
Unless it was done
By a policeman or aristocrat

And number two
You have the right to food money
Providing of course you don't mind a little
Investigation, humiliation
And if you cross your fingers
Rehabilitation

Number three

You have the right to free speech
As long as you're not
Dumb enough to actually try it

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#59Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/10/15 at 2:14pm

I'm not going to get to see the show, but I am curious about the TSA lecture/trick. If it's against intrusive searches by the TSA, I would think this would be an area where liberal and libertarian thought are squarely in agreement. Am I wrong about this?

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#60Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/10/15 at 3:19pm

Ahh, you can never have too many Joe Strummer lyrics here

brdway411
#61Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/10/15 at 7:07pm

I just saw a commercial for P&T, they only did 2 of the tricks shown in the commercial. wondering if they change up the tricks nightly, weekly. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#62Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/10/15 at 10:41pm

"I just saw a commercial for P&T, they only did 2 of the tricks shown in the commercial. wondering if they change up the tricks nightly, weekly. "

No. On his podcast, they said they were working with a Broadway director to shape the show, making cuts, moving things around, and get it locked down, etc., so my impression was they wanted to really lock in a perfect show for NYC, since they got their start here, so finding the balance of old stuff that they haven't done since they were here off-Broadway and some subsequent drop-ins, new stuff, etc.

The only thing they couldn't bring to NYC is the famous "bullet catch" they close with in Vegas, since the authorities wouldn't let them shoot live firearms at each other in a theater. Whether they actually do shoot live firearms at one another is unknown, only that they wouldn't tell the authorities how the trick was done. Nothing new there, though. They haven't been able to do that trick anywhere outside of Vegas, AFAIK.

UPDATE: On Twitter, Penn wrote re: the bullet catch: "We did not get turned down, we chose this ending for this show... the producers solved (the firearms issue) and we decided to go with another ending anyway. That's the kind of assholes we are."

Updated On: 7/11/15 at 10:41 PM

brdway411
#63Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/10/15 at 10:48pm

I guess I have a reason to go to Vegas now. I was just a little disappointed because I had seen at least 3 of the tricks before on SNL or other late nite TV. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#64Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/10/15 at 11:03pm

They were mainly doing SNL when they were Off-Broadway, so it would make sense they would have cycled some of the classic stuff they originated here back into the show, if it wasn't there already. I'd sort of be surprised if I went to a P&T and Teller didn't Shadows and such, though. They are more rock band than stand-up comic in that regard. I want to hear some classics.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#65Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/10/15 at 11:52pm

They are very into signing after shows... 

Updated On: 7/10/15 at 11:52 PM

Movidude742 Profile Photo
Movidude742
#66Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/11/15 at 12:10am

I saw the show Wednesday and it appeared that there was a technical gaffe in the trick with the nail gun.  Like the gun lost power before the bit ended

Anyone else see the show another night and confirm that it ended differently?  I don't want to know the details, as I am seeing the show again next month

LightsOut90
#67Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/11/15 at 1:43am

wasn't there a play off broadway two years ago that revolved around the main guy and an audience member doing the Bullet Catch trick? (like wasn't it literally called Bullet Catch it was at 59E59 if i remember correctly) 

ron5
#68Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/11/15 at 11:27am

I have one seat available for tonights 8 PM show(Wife couldn't make it) Orchestra Section E.

Asking   the  cover price of the ticket only.

If interested email me asap at catseyepub@yahoo.com

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#69Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/11/15 at 11:54am

Ahh, Penn just corrected me on Twitter about the bullet catch. On his podcast, he said they couldn't do it anywhere outside of Vegas because of the firearms issues, but today he wrote: "We did not get turned down, we chose this ending for this show... the producers solved (the firearms issue) and we decided to go with another ending anyway. That's the kind of assholes we are."

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#70Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/11/15 at 12:06pm

Moviedude, it does end differently.

LightsOut, you are correct about the off Broadway play.

Just give the world Love.

pumbaaj
#71Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/11/15 at 4:37pm

"Don't forget that magic is an art form. If other art forms can communicate social and political messages, why can't magic?"

Well...umm... this (heterosexual) magician expressed his views on a Broadway stage last year in "The Illusionists" last year.  he received absolutely no criticism from any national media outlets or gay rights groups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MnjQnblVTE

Which just begs the question: "If a tree falls on stage in an empty theater, does it make a noise?"

Updated On: 7/11/15 at 04:37 PM

Buffalo Bill Profile Photo
Buffalo Bill
#72Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/13/15 at 12:44am

Wow: great review from Brantley in the Times!

"In theory, a Penn and Teller show is spoiler-proof because they make a point of spoiling their own deceptions, and even encourage you to go online to find out more about them, but they are also showmen to their toes who like to surprise stylishly."

Nice! 

From President Obama: "Over the years, musicals have been at the forefront of our social consciousness, challenging stereotypes, shaping our opinions about race and religion, death and disease, power and politics."

levinb
#73Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/13/15 at 1:07am

Huffington Post seems to be positive as well?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steven-suskin/aisle-view-penn--teller-b_b_7781858.html

Doesn't Broadway World usually come out with an article summarizing all the reviews?

Monty12112
#74Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/13/15 at 8:54am

Saw the show over the weekend.  I have seen about half the routines before but still thoroughly enjoyed the show.  I saw in the mezzanine which was only about half filled.  Both are in the lobby after the show and will sign and take photographs with those who are willing to wait their turn.