Dear Evan Hansen

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#50Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/22/15 at 12:02pm

Is there anyone who has seen the show who is willing to give a more detailed plot description, and actually let me knows what happens? I can PM you, out of respect for others.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

HSky
#51Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/22/15 at 12:10pm

I saw it Sunday and Ben Platt was indeed amazing. So much (both as an audience and within the show) relies on how his character comes across, and he delivers that both vocally and physically. Compare the start of each act, for example.

I'm glad to hear they're putting in more changes. I enjoyed the music and liked the show but felt a few tweaks could make it really great. I think it dragged a little in the middle and needed more urgency in pacing to set up the climax, perhaps showing the pressure a bit more?

I'll be back in DC in two weekends and hope I get to see it again and see what changes were made.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#52Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/22/15 at 12:33pm

fashionguru_23, I PMed you.

HSky, agree about the dragging. The baseball mitt scene sticks out to me -- I feel like this moment between Evan and Connor's dad needs to be there, but maybe not with this kind of execution. It's sweet, but too slow and drawn out.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

ChiTheaterFan
#53Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/22/15 at 1:10pm

I very much want to see this but I don't know if I'll get to DC during its run. I really hope it transfers to Broadway. I saw Ben Platt in BOM in Chicago and he was a fantastic elder Cunningham. Everyone in my group agreed he really stole the show. (Plus I love pitch perfect!) It sounds like this is a more dramatic role and that would be interesting to see from him. 

HSky
#54Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/22/15 at 1:20pm

LizzieCurry, I was going to mention that exact scene. It definitely fits a needed plot point to balance things out within the family, but stops and starts so many times before getting to the point.

It's a little tougher to talk around the other parts that I think could be refined without spoiling, but I think some of the questions raised by Alana and during the social media scenes are where some trims could be made to get to the same waypoints, only have it accelerated so you feel the tension building constantly until it all gets released.

LizzieCurry
#55Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/22/15 at 1:50pm

Yeah -- Connor's dad and Evan are both like alternate universe versions of what each of them is missing, so I get the point of the scene, but something needs fixing there.

Also kind of minor but kind of not, as it's indicative of a bigger problem. I pretty much loved every cast member and thought this was a very well-cast show. But it didn't occur to me until some of the FB profiles showed up on projections that the only non-white people there were in those projections. OK, so I get that most of the characters are related to each other -- but why are Jared and Alana white? The entire cast is white. I'm not advocating replacing anyone on the basis of ethnicity, but the lack of diversity stuck out to me.

JaglinSays
#56Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/22/15 at 5:27pm

Jesus, I'm so sick of "young person coming of age" musicals.

Wickedmonkey332 Profile Photo
Wickedmonkey332
#57Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/22/15 at 7:23pm

LizzieCurry: The exact same thought came to my mind while watching the show. I think diversity would make it even more relatable than it already is. 

Liza's Headband
#58Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/23/15 at 10:18am

New feature by BBC on this musical, which includes a little bit of footage from the production. Warning: a major plot point is revealed in the video. 

BBC: Pitch Perfect star is new face of American musicals

LetTheSunshineIn2
#59Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/25/15 at 7:15pm

Caught the show this afternoon.  Ben Platt is giving a phenomenal performance- what a talent!  The rest of the cast is also outstanding.  The show itself was good, but not yet great.  Beautiful score, but I agree with other posters that the show is too long.  There were parts in both acts that dragged and could be cut.  I also found the set distracting.  It's a cool concept and fits the story but I found myself trying to read the words on the screens which took me out of what the actors were doing in that moment.  Michael Greif was at the back of the house along with I think Pasek and Paul and other members of the creative team, so clearly the show is still very much a work in progress.  We were also asked to complete a survey at the conclusion of the show.  All in all, I think there is a lot of potential and I hope they can get it the rest of the way there. 

On another note, does anyone know how it's selling?  The orchestra of the 500ish seat theater was only about 3/4 full.  Don't know what the balcony looked like, but the lobby at Arena before the show and at intermission felt pretty empty.  It was also a sunny, beautiful, late July Saturday afternoon, so I'm hoping that is why the low attendance and the show is selling better than it appears from today's performance.

LizzieCurry
#60Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/25/15 at 9:13pm

When I went (last weekend), I'd guess the orch was about 90% full.

I wish we'd gotten a survey!

Clyde15
#61Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/26/15 at 3:50pm

In the video the composers said they thought Broadway was next. Anyone know of this is true? I know they aren't recording a CD yet so this must not be the end of the line for the show. 

Liza's Headband
#62Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/26/15 at 4:17pm

Broadway is always the next goal for these shows. And yes, this is not the end of the line for the show/property. 

freewilma
#63Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/29/15 at 11:07am

Saw the show last night and it appeared to be sold out.  Since I purchased by tickets online, I did receive a survey after the performance via email.  But I think that is standard procedure for Arena.  

This production is definitely attracting a MUCH younger audience than many shows at local regional theaters.  While there were lots of 70+ aged season ticket holders, there were an equal number of kids in their late teens / early 20s.  I'm sure Arena's "pay your age" for theater-goers under 30 helps significantly in this regard.  I'm hearing more and more stories of people going back to see the production for a second and third time.  

The official opening s tomorrow night so the performance I saw was probably fairly close to a final product.  I absolutely loved the music and work up this morning with the songs ringing in my ears.  My kids (15 and 20) both commented how sorry they were that there isn't a cast recording because "I'm not ready to say goodbye to this music yet".   I found the performances uniformly solid and the staging simple, yet effective.  Ben Platt was just amazing.  His acting was maybe more impressive than his singing...which is saying a lot.  

It's almost impossible not to draw some parallels with Next to Normal.  Both shows are directed by the same person and have their initial performances at the same theatre.  They are both based around family dynamics and deal with important social/mental health issues in our society.  The first act seems more derivative than the second.  However, it's MUCH more geared to issues facing today's teens than the 40-something adults in Next to Normal.  That doesn't mean it feels in any way like a show written for teens.....it's just a different focus.  The second act (with the exception of the song with the dad as others have mentioned) is terrific.  I could hear people crying around me (or more correctly with me) late in the performance.  

I'm so glad I was able to see it...and now I'm wondering if I can justify seeing it again since I'm definitely OVER the under-30 bargain price age!  I know my kids are champing at the bit to see it another time.  

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#64Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/29/15 at 1:06pm

I was just watching On Stage on NY1 and the plan is to bring the show to NYC fairly soon after closing in DC next month. I'm looking forward to seeing it because I love Pasek and Paul.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

musicalfool
#65Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/29/15 at 4:33pm

I also saw the show since I had to travel to DC for work.  I think the music is the strongest element - P&P have done great work here.  Ben Platt is a STAR and I see huge things ahead for him.  His singing is excellent and his acting is even better.  I completely believed him.  I agree with earlier posts that either of the two friends could bring some diversity to the show - it would make it more interesting.  I hope this comes to a small theater in NYC to give it time/room to grow.  If you're in the DC area, I'd highly recommend.

Updated On: 7/30/15 at 04:33 PM

LizzieCurry
#66Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/29/15 at 4:37pm

"My kids (15 and 20) both commented how sorry they were that there isn't a cast recording because "I'm not ready to say goodbye to this music yet". "

That's so sweet! That just reminded me of the lady behind me -- she was in her mid/late 30s and had come with her parents. She'd seen it earlier in the run and her parents hadn't. She said the thing she liked least about seeing pre-Broadway engagements was the lack of a cast recording, because she loved the music so much the first time.

promisespromises2 Profile Photo
promisespromises2
#67Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/29/15 at 5:46pm

Getting tickets next week!

Thank you SO much for mentioning that "pay your age" program! I've only seen one show at this place and that definitely would have been helpful in the past!

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#68Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/31/15 at 9:40am

Any reviews? Also I need opinions. Big Pasek/Paul and Ben Platt fan, should i make the trip to DC to see this, or just count on it coming to NYC soon? Really don't wanna miss it, but was hoping it would come in in the spring. Opinions?

LizzieCurry
#69Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/31/15 at 10:00am

Opening night was last night, so I imagine the reviews will be posted today. I can't imagine it won't make its way to NYC eventually, but if you can make it to DC, do it!

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#70Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/31/15 at 11:20am

Here's what I think is the first official review:  https://www.broadwayworld.com/washington-dc/article/BWW-Reviews-Electric-World-Premiere-of-DEAR-EVAN-HANSEN-Shows-Promise-at-Arena-Stage-20150731.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#71Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/31/15 at 1:05pm

This review is reflective of what I imagined this show would be like: just ok.

I haven't seen good work from Mr. Grief in quite a long while. His last four shows I saw had a lot of promise but could have benefitted from some better direction.

LizzieCurry
#72Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/31/15 at 1:25pm

http://dctheatrescene.com/2015/07/31/dear-evan-hansen-at-arena-stage-review/ 

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/regional/dc/dc792.html 

Updated On: 7/31/15 at 01:25 PM

freewilma
#73Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 8/3/15 at 3:40pm

A relatively strong review from the Washington Post is here:  

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/theater_dance/dear-evan-hansen-radiates-charm-and-wit-and-thats-no-lie/2015/08/03/9a263ee4-390b-11e5-8e98-115a3cf7d7ae_story.html

Liza's Headband
#74Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 8/3/15 at 5:03pm

Very strong and very positive. NY Times review, by Isherwood, expected soon. If it too is positive you can expect this show to come to New York.