pixeltracker

How long will the current shows run for?- Page 2

How long will the current shows run for?

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#25How long will the current shows run for?
Posted: 7/26/15 at 5:28pm

""Having all 3 shows running would be a huge financial venture for Disney but I don't think money is an issue for them"
And Frozen (if done right) is going to be a massive Broadway hit of Lion King proportions, so it's not like it won't be pulling in tons of cash each week. "

Exactly. Just hopefully if Frozen is a huge hit people won't stop going to see Aladdin

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!

nycgogetter
#26How long will the current shows run for?
Posted: 7/26/15 at 5:31pm

If Frozen goes the traditional theater route, yes, they would want to put it up in the New Amsterdam, and move Aladdin in 2017 (same time I assume the national tour is launching for Aladdin). 

Although rumors being what they are, they are planning on building a new theater for Frozen.

mattporter17 Profile Photo
mattporter17
#27How long will the current shows run for?
Posted: 7/26/15 at 5:35pm

"Newsies stopped having Million Dollar weeks, it reached a point where it was barely breaking even. Yes the last few months they started making tons of money again but only after they posted the closing notice."

Newsies did well only on the strength of the Broadway material. The original movie was not strong or successful enough to attract an audience. Lion King, Aladdin and (when it opens on Broadway) Frozen are all classics and have name recognition. People know these movies and they'll definitely want to see the broadway adaption. Basically Frozen will succeed for the same reason Aladdin is succeeding. We might as well have Casey Nicholaw direct Frozen at this point tbh... lol

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#28How long will the current shows run for?
Posted: 7/26/15 at 8:41pm

Where would this new theatre be? And do you think this theatre will be the new flagship Disney theatre and they will avoid the new amsterdam?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Clyde15
#29How long will the current shows run for?
Posted: 7/26/15 at 8:51pm

"Where would this new theatre be? And do you think this theatre will be the new flagship Disney theatre and they will avoid the new amsterdam?"

With over 75 years left on the lease I doubt they will avoid the New Amsterdam

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#30How long will the current shows run for?
Posted: 7/26/15 at 8:58pm

The amount of speculation going on for Frozen in this thread is insane.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

littlemouse921 Profile Photo
littlemouse921
#31How long will the current shows run for?
Posted: 7/26/15 at 9:23pm

"I think Les Mis could be gone by spring so Miss Saigon makes the cut-off for Best Revival at the 2016 Tonys."

Highly doubtful because CamMac stated that he wanted to transfer the West End sets for the revival. The West End production doesn't close until the end of February, so it would be a tight squeeze to get everything into the Imperial before the eligibility cut off for 2016. And the playing field for revival is so crowded next season that it might be wise to hold out until Fall 2016 or Spring 2017.

Islander_fan
#32How long will the current shows run for?
Posted: 7/26/15 at 9:24pm

""Newsies stopped having Million Dollar weeks, it reached a point where it was barely breaking even. Yes the last few months they started making tons of money again but only after they posted the closing notice."
 Newsies did well only on the strength of the Broadway material. The original movie was not strong or successful enough to attract an audience. Lion King, Aladdin and (when it opens on Broadway) Frozen are all classics and have name recognition. People know these movies and they'll definitely want to see the broadway adaption. Basically Frozen will succeed for the same reason Aladdin is succeeding. We might as well have Casey Nicholaw direct Frozen at this point tbh... lol"

To be honest with regards to Newsies, I don't think it's totally accurate to say that the movie's cult fanbase didn't help at all with regards to it being a success on Broadway. I encountered dozens of folks who were/are diehard fans of the movie, who came to NYC to see it on Broadway. Now, granted I honestly believe that that plus a combo of word of mouth was what got it to succeed beyond it's original limited run and what got it to be turned into an open ended one. 

Now, with regards to Frozen, I am wondering, is this show still going to happen? After all, Disney announced it coming to Broadway in the middle of the Frozen frenzy. But, is it still a planned thing now that the hype around it has died down considerably? 

nycgogetter
#33How long will the current shows run for?
Posted: 7/26/15 at 10:10pm

Now, with regards to Frozen, I am wondering, is this show still going to happen? After all, Disney announced it coming to Broadway in the middle of the Frozen frenzy. But, is it still a planned thing now that the hype around it has died down considerably? "

Frozen is still planned.  If it goes the new theater route, I think it would be outside the Broadway box . . .that's the big rumor.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#34How long will the current shows run for?
Posted: 7/26/15 at 10:44pm

"Now, with regards to Frozen, I am wondering, is this show still going to happen? After all, Disney announced it coming to Broadway in the middle of the Frozen frenzy. But, is it still a planned thing now that the hype around it has died down considerably? "

Yup, the Lopezes just did an interview about it 

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/heres-the-latest-on-the-broadway-adaptation-of-disneys-frozen-354165

Jonwo
#35How long will the current shows run for?
Posted: 7/27/15 at 10:42am

Cameron Mackintosh mentioned in an interview that they're aiming for Spring 2017 so I would guess Les Mis will try and run for another year at least.

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#36How long will the current shows run for?
Posted: 7/27/15 at 11:41am

nycgogetter, by "move Aladdin in 2017" do you mean to say move it to another theatre or close the show? I only ask because I find it very unlikely they will move the production to a different theatre. The New Amsterdam was closed for months to do stage renovations to fit the flying contraption and to move the whole production would mean another set of renovations on another theatre (in addition to the exorbitant expenses involved in moving theatres). 

Its obviously a long ways a way, but with aladdin showing no signs of slowing down I would think Disney hunts for an open Nederlander theatre (Palace or Nederlander being most likely). 

AEA AGMA SM
#37How long will the current shows run for?
Posted: 7/27/15 at 11:51am

With no real time frame, just a lot of speculation, by the time the show might need to be moved they will have launched, or be very near launching, the national tour. In that case they will have figured out other ways to do the effects and could implement that version of the show here in NY, similar to what happened with Beauty and the Beast when it moved.

And the larger majority of the time the theatre was dark between shows was more for general refurbishment and upkeep and not as much about retrofitting the stage just for the effects in Aladdin. After all, they didn't have a several months long load in for the pre-Broadway run in Toronto.

But it's all speculation on our part. Who knows what kind of shape ticket-sales will be in by the time Frozen is actually ready to start. I do think that if the show is still pulling in these same kinds of numbers on a regular basis that Disney will consider moving it before closing it, or putting Frozen into a different theatre. After all, in theory the shows would be covering different demographics (Aladdin getting the boys, Frozen covering the girls), as opposed to when they claimed Beauty and the Beast was closing for Little Mermaid because they didn't want to have two "princess" musicals running simultaneously.

Jonwo
#38How long will the current shows run for?
Posted: 7/27/15 at 11:58am

I imagine Frozen will be a big scale show so it won't end up at the Nederlander! The Palace or Marquis is more likely if Aladdin stays put at the New Amsterdam. 

Disney are launching new productions of Aladdin worldwide so I imagine they'll be able to test out ways to do the show on a slightly smaller scale in some countries and implement it into the touring production of Aladdin. 

Jay94
#39How long will the current shows run for?
Posted: 7/27/15 at 12:11pm

So what about Finding Neverland? Frankly I'm surprised by how well it's been doing but I'm not sure about it's longevity.

A1st
#40How long will the current shows run for?
Posted: 7/27/15 at 12:40pm

The New Amsterdam wasn't specially renovated FOR Aladdin, it just happened to have needed a renovation after Mary Poppins closed. They re did the roof to prevent it from leaking, they put in new seats, etc... 

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#41How long will the current shows run for?
Posted: 7/27/15 at 12:46pm

One would think that after they closed Beauty and the Beast for the dreck that was Tarzan...they would think twice about closing a popular show. 

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

A1st
#42How long will the current shows run for?
Posted: 7/27/15 at 1:18pm

"One would think that after they closed Beauty and the Beast for the dreck that was Tarzan...they would think twice about closing a popular show. "

Beauty and the Beast closed for the LIttle Mermaid, not Tarzan. Beauty was closed because they didn't want competition between the 2 shows based on princesses, as well as the fact that they needed a theater for mermaid. Tarzan played across the street at the Rodgers and closed because of lack of ticket sales. 

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#43How long will the current shows run for?
Posted: 7/28/15 at 2:33am

"Philly,

Where did you get your information regarding non profit runs? Are you sure it was someone  on here? I have to say that for someone who hates to cite sources and loves walking away with egg on their face, you're doing a bang up job. Keep up the good work, I love a free show. "

Yeah I'm sure Islander. Keep making yourself look stupid

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#44How long will the current shows run for?
Posted: 7/28/15 at 2:34am

"Productions can only run as non-profits for a certain amount of time. At a certain point, they can become for-profit and the people employed on it will be paid full rates."

oh and look. Someone to defend me. Keep making yourself look dumb Islander. 

Also, how much do non profits pay people? 

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#45How long will the current shows run for?
Posted: 7/28/15 at 3:25am

Pinto, I addressed the misinformation you posted above in another thread but just to make what I said there clear here: it is correct that actors must be paid the full production contract amounts after the originally scheduled run at the Beaumont, but that does not mean it becomes a for-profit production. Indeed, it cannot, and if it did there would be private inurement issues that would result in LCT's tax emempt status revoked by the IRS.  

The base actor pay for these Broadway LORT addenda are all $1385 currently. (The length of the initial run to which this applies vries by theatre, with LCT's unspecified and the others being in the 12-16 week range.)

Updated On: 7/28/15 at 03:25 AM

broadwaysfguy
#46How long will the current shows run for?
Posted: 7/28/15 at 10:49am

what about Chicago?

how much more mileage does this show have as it approaches its 20th record breaking year?

all_that_jazz Profile Photo
all_that_jazz
#47How long will the current shows run for?
Posted: 7/28/15 at 11:41am

"So what about Finding Neverland? Frankly I'm surprised by how well it's been doing but I'm not sure about it's longevity."

How is it surprising its a wonderful show.  Great word of mouth and quite frankly I think will have a very long run.