pixeltracker

Stop dressing like crap!- Page 5

Stop dressing like crap!

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#100Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/30/15 at 11:33am

I feel like in the dead of winter, people tend to be more forgiving with attire, too. We're all in the same icy boat!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

lunch
#101Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/30/15 at 11:55am

The Disney-ification of both Times Square and Broadway adds to the increasingly casual dress in Broadway theaters.

Times Square is a big open-air shopping mall/theme park.  Some tourists come to New York (or to America!) and hardly leave the Times Square area. They're shlepping around there is shorts, T-shirts, flip flops and decide to pick up a ticket to a show at TKTS or whatever.

Once the tourists starting showing up at the theater dressed like that, the local theater goers saw that and started doing the same thing and that has brought the entire level of dress on Broadway to a more casual level. The theaters also saw that welcoming all sold more tickets so they make a point to say that you can wear whatever you want to the theater.

Audiences at touring shows aren't subject to any of that, which is why they tend to dress more formally.

AEA AGMA SM
#102Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/30/15 at 12:10pm

I'm going to join in with those who have just stopped worrying about other people. As long as what you are wearing is clean and doesn't stink then I say be comfortable. As others have already pointed out, sometimes the circumstances don't allow for people to change and dress specifically for the theatre. I personally do try to go for at least business casual, but even then it doesn't alway work out for me. I've had many times when I'm in rehearsal and somebody offers me a ticket for that night, so I go wearing whatever clothes I was wearing in rehearsal because there is not time to go home and change, and I'm certainly not going to turn down tickets because I happen to be wearing jeans or shorts and a t-shirt.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#103Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/30/15 at 12:49pm

Times Square is a big open-air shopping mall/theme park.

I think what you mean to say is, Disney helped create a new marketing demographic that included families with children.  Businesses saw the $$$ and followed suit (as well as a new breed of scam artists).  But Times Square has ALWAYS been one of the biggest tourist destinations for shopping, dining and entertainment.  It has always attracted huge crowds who stay in the area, hence the high concentration of hotels within Times Square.  Since the Golden Age, there has been a massive increase in international tourism on a global scale as travel became more affordable, economies and communication changed and grew, and Times Square continues to evolve in an effort to keep up with the ever-increasing number of tourists.  The new pedestrian zones evidence this.  As soon as the new construction is finished (whenever that may be), we'll find that it will also not be enough to contain the crowds and will have to be expanded further.

But to the point, I don't really think it was "Disney-fication" that is responsible for casual attire in theatres (I remember seeing very casual attire pre-Disney).  It's just the evolution of Times Square, tourism and societal norms.

Audiences at touring shows aren't subject to any of that, which is why they tend to dress more formally.

Perhaps that is the case where you live.  In Chicago, you see the same gamut of attire that you do on Broadway at major houses, regional theatres and storefronts alike.  I might be wearing shorts to Pippin tomorrow night, depending on what I'm doing at the time.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#104Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/30/15 at 1:26pm

"But I do have one question about the way you dress and the building you are going to be in. Do you dress differently when you catch a train at Grand Central than you do at Penn Station?"

Hogan, you're hystserical! Good question, and the answer is thus (even if you are only kidding) - It depends upon my destination!

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#105Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/30/15 at 2:06pm

I was only kidding but you get full credit for your answer. 

That raises another question, though: what if you don't know where you are going? (a characteristic, I might add, that plagues many a show.)

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#106Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/30/15 at 2:13pm

"That raises another question, though: what if you don't know where you are going?"

Well, now we're veering towards another whole topic..

skies Profile Photo
skies
#107Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/30/15 at 2:13pm

Look at old movies and men use to wear shirts and ties to ball games! Those days are long gone unless you are going directly after work.

I think it's such an individual thing, I mean look at the range  of how people go to church or even a wedding or funeral, it runs from extremely causual to formal attire.

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

sidwich
#108Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/30/15 at 6:52pm

""I just don't get how this is classist? It costs the same amount to buy a sundress or a nice pair of jeans and a blouse at Target as it does to buy casual clothes, for the most part. It doesn't cost a whole lot more money to look presentable vs. looking like you just rolled out of bed. I'm not advocating for ball gowns and suits, but I think it should be standard to at least look clean and groomed and like you were planning on leaving the house."

It's classist because it's assuming that all theatergoers have the leisure time to dress to this standard.  It's not the owning of the clothes, but the ability to go home and change if your work isn't "business casual" or above. Or if you're a tourist, that you have a hotel that's central enough to the theater district to change after a day of seeing New York. If you're a woman, that you don't have to walk to the theater so you can wear nice shoes instead of something with more walkability like sneakers or flip flops.

It doesn't account at all for students or other folks who may be getting their tickets through TKTS, lotto, rush or even cancellation ticket line folks who may be standing/sitting in line all day.  I don't know about you, but when I used to sit out on the NYC pavement for tickets for hours on end, I definitely was not wearing nice clothes to do it in! Again, no time to go home and change clothes. 

lunch
#109Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/30/15 at 9:51pm

"Times Square is a big open-air shopping mall/theme park.
I think what you mean to say is, Disney helped create a new marketing demographic that included families with children.  Businesses saw the $$$ and followed suit (as well as a new breed of scam artists).  But Times Square has ALWAYS been one of the biggest tourist destinations for shopping, dining and entertainment.  It has always attracted huge crowds who stay in the area, hence the high concentration of hotels within Times Square.  Since the Golden Age, there has been a massive increase in international tourism on a global scale as travel became more affordable, economies and communication changed and grew, and Times Square continues to evolve in an effort to keep up with the ever-increasing number of tourists.  The new pedestrian zones evidence this.  As soon as the new construction is finished (whenever that may be), we'll find that it will also not be enough to contain the crowds and will have to be expanded further.
But to the point, I don't really think it was "Disney-fication" that is responsible for casual attire in theatres (I remember seeing very casual attire pre-Disney).  It's just the evolution of Times Square, tourism and societal norms.
Perhaps that is the case where you live.  In Chicago, you see the same gamut of attire that you do on Broadway at major houses, regional theatres and storefronts alike.  I might be wearing shorts to Pippin tomorrow night, depending on what I'm doing at the time."

No. What I meant to say is what I wrote.

Times Square has always been an entertainment center.  But it's only been recently (last 10 years or so) that it has adopted the trappings of Disney World meets the Mall of America, with people dressed up as cartoon characters posing for pictures, shopping kiosks in the middle of the Broadway (which wasn't partially closed off the way it is now), giant commercially tied in stores like the M&M store, etc. etc. Of course there were stores and restaurants but they didn't mimick an amusement park the way they do now.  Times Square was not a place where families hung out with children. They stopped to look at the lights but then moved on.  

Also my comments about touring show audiences was in response to the several posters here who noted that the dress at touring company stops was more formal. I've never been to a touring show (I live close enough to NYC) so I have no personal experience.

Glittergrrl Profile Photo
Glittergrrl
#110Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/30/15 at 9:57pm

I will probably continue to dress like crap when I go to a show. I love clothes. I have a bit of a shopping habit, but I also live in CT and have to take the train into the city. Then I walk around NY all day. In the winter, I'm bundled up. I'll usually wear skinny jeans and a cute top with knee high boots. I may throw a dress on in the summer, but that probably won't happen when I go to Hamilton next week. For all that walking around, you have to be comfortable.

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#111Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 8/1/15 at 1:06pm

We have to remember that the NY Post is a glorified tabloid, and things that people can argue about sell tabloids.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#112Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 8/1/15 at 1:27pm

"And gentlemen, we know it’s hot and you’re exercising, but please keep your shirt on — or at least wear a tank top. Nobody wants to see your jiggly manboobs."

If a NY reporter, particularly a male one, had said this about women going topless in pubic where men are allowed to be topless - which is legal in New York state - then he'd probably cause a major backlash and deserved to be canned.

And as for dressing in loose, relaxed clothes suitable for sleeping when in an airport, perhaps Elizabeth might want to take into consideration that some of us are in airports to board night flights, or flights of up to 18 hours, where we intend on sleeping.

luvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
#113Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 8/1/15 at 6:31pm

I doubt that I will ever wear flip-flops or shorts to a theatre performance myself, but I certainly can understand circumstances in which people would, and i'm fine with that (I wear shorts and flip-flops a lot in my everyday life).  Going to a show in NYC is still a big event for us, since we get to the city only once or twice a year, so it's part of the experience for us to get a little "dressed up" (nice jeans or chinos and a spiffy shirt).  To me, a live theatre event is much more special than going to a movie or the mall, so we dress that way.  What anyone else wears has zero affect on my enjoyment of the show. 

AHLiebross Profile Photo
AHLiebross
#114Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 8/2/15 at 3:07am

I may be showing my age here, but, to me flip-flops and shorts are rude in the theater. I'm not suggesting tuxes and evening gowns, and I'm CERTAINLY not suggesting spending a lot of money. However, to me, wearing at least business casual clothing telegraphs to the actors, "I appreciate what you're doing for me." I see dressing for a business environment as opposed to Disneyland to be a form of silent applause.

Audrey, the Phantom Phanatic, who nonetheless would rather be Jean Valjean, who knew how to make lemonade out of lemons.

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#115Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 8/2/15 at 4:38am

"I may be showing my age here, but, to me flip-flops and shorts are rude in the theater. I'm not suggesting tuxes and evening gowns, and I'm CERTAINLY not suggesting spending a lot of money. However, to me, wearing at least business casual clothing telegraphs to the actors, "I appreciate what you're doing for me." I see dressing for a business environment as opposed to Disneyland to be a form of silent applause."

Paying the prices for tickets is enough appreciation. I really dont think the vast majority of actors care what the crowd is wearing as long as they aren't interrupting the show. 

luvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
#116Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 8/2/15 at 10:06am

AHLiebross, I was also going to mention that my age shows when talking about my preferred attire at Broadway shows. My family made occasional trips to NYC in the 70s. My dad would have never dreamed of wearing anything but a coat and tie, and my mom a nice dress, when we went to the theatre. I guess that times change....

brdway411
#117Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 8/2/15 at 12:22pm

I don't really care what you wear, but please bath before you come to the theater. Was at a show a few nights ago and had to change seats because the couple next to us smelled like my son's gym locker. 

Glittergrrl Profile Photo
Glittergrrl
#118Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 8/2/15 at 2:47pm

"I doubt that I will ever wear flip-flops or shorts to a theatre performance myself, but I certainly can understand circumstances in which people would, and i'm fine with that (I wear shorts and flip-flops a lot in my everyday life).  Going to a show in NYC is still a big event for us, since we get to the city only once or twice a year, so it's part of the experience for us to get a little "dressed up" (nice jeans or chinos and a spiffy shirt).  To me, a live theatre event is much more special than going to a movie or the mall, so we dress that way.  What anyone else wears has zero affect on my enjoyment of the show. 

"

According to this criteria, I'm downright fancy. Stop dressing like crap!. I just cannot put on a pair of heels to go to NYC and walk around all day. I need to be warm and comfortable. I also need to be fed, but that's another story. I get very grumpy when I'm cold, uncomfortable, or hungry.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#119Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 8/2/15 at 3:06pm

I have never worn heels in my life -- to work, to a show, to a wedding, to a funeral, whatever. If you want to go dressier, oxfords are great. Or even some of the nicer Tevas. Or glittery Doc Martens if you're into that. I have all of these!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#120Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 8/2/15 at 4:23pm

I don't agree that the actors don't care what the audience wears as long as they buy a ticket. A ticket is needed to see the production . The mode of dress is a personal choice and reflects your attitude towards those actors and their work .

AHLiebross Profile Photo
AHLiebross
#121Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 8/3/15 at 2:46am

Henrik Egerman said:

If a NY reporter, particularly a male one, had said this about women going topless in pubic where men are allowed to be topless....

This is a definite oops (read it carefully), but one that fits the subject very well.

BTW, I've programmed my autocorrect to add an "l" if I leave it out of "public" -- an error in the wrong place can be quite embarrassing. I actually read a resume saying that the job-seeker majored in "pubic communications."  I'd love to have attended her classes!

Audrey

Audrey, the Phantom Phanatic, who nonetheless would rather be Jean Valjean, who knew how to make lemonade out of lemons.

minicko88
#122Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 8/25/15 at 4:53pm

I am sorry to bring this topic back up, but I had a quick question and didn't want to start a new thread. 

I am from the Houston area, and I love seeing as many shows as possible. I have been to New York a few times and seen multiple shows. When I see a show in Houston or when I was in New York, I prefer to wear suits, dress clothes, or jeans and a dress shirt (for matinees). Each time I came to New York, my hotel was close to Times Square, so it was easy for me to go to the hotel and put on dress clothes before a performance. I am coming to New York in the beginning of September, and my hotel is not near the theater district. I don't feel as if I'll have time to go back to hotel and change into dress clothes. So, I will most likely be wearing what I wear all day to the theater. Is that an acceptable practice in New York, and if so, what types of clothes are acceptable? I'd prefer not to wear jeans all day while walking in central park. Is it acceptable to wear nice shorts and collared shirts to the theater, such as Calvin Klein or Lacoste? Or should I budget time to go back to the hotel for changing? I have seen many people in the theaters in New York wearing shorts, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I was raised to treat the theater with high respect and dignity. But, if it is an acceptable practice, I would love not to have to run to my hotel before each of the 6 shows I am scheduled to see in 4 days. What is your opinion on this, especially those who visit the theater frequently? 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#123Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 8/25/15 at 5:04pm

minicko88 said: "I'd prefer not to wear jeans all day while walking in central park. Is it acceptable to wear nice shorts and collared shirts to the theater, such as Calvin Klein or Lacoste? Or should I budget time to go back to the hotel for changing?"

That would put you well ahead of most people in there. I wouldn't think twice about it, really. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#124Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 8/25/15 at 5:31pm

wear what you feel comfortable in. Remember however that theatres can be preternaturally cold.