Finding Neverland

JaglinSays
#25Finding Neverland
Posted: 8/3/15 at 12:46am

Possibly the worst show of the past 15 years.

Gone by January.

Eurotrash Profile Photo
Eurotrash
#26Finding Neverland
Posted: 8/3/15 at 4:59am

Probably the best show of the past 15 years. 

Will run for ages.

Why don't you go? Why don't you leave Manderley? He doesn't need you... he's got his memories. He doesn't love you, he wants to be alone again with her. You've nothing to stay for. You've nothing to live for really, have you?

EchoParker Profile Photo
EchoParker
#27Finding Neverland
Posted: 8/3/15 at 6:58am

"The show is NOT grossing 1.1 million, that's what it's taking in. With a nut in the 700,000 field they are lucky to be "grossing" 300,000 a week.  If and when Morrison leaves the show will probably take a nose dive."

CurtainPullDowner - look up the word "grossing"; it's a fun word that means something. Also, look up the word "netting"; it also means something. Also, they don't mean the same thing, and "grossing" means what skies thinks it means.

Sunny11
#28Finding Neverland
Posted: 8/3/15 at 7:29am

If CurtainPullDowner is correct and they have been netting $300 000 for the past 20 weeks then that's a total of $6 million now and over a quarter of the $20 million initial investment that's been roughly quoted in the press. That means that they are currently on a steady road to recouping right? 

valeposh Profile Photo
valeposh
#29Finding Neverland
Posted: 8/3/15 at 8:49am

I love how this show keeps dividing people. I loved it enough to see it 3 times. Would see it again if I were in the NY area right now. As far as grosses, I don't think they have anything to worry about. Morrison's contracted through January, so it'll be interesting to see what will happen after that.

"Mr Sondheim, look: I made a hat, where there never was a hat, it's a Latin hat at that!"

Clyde15
#30Finding Neverland
Posted: 8/3/15 at 11:41am

Do you think Jeremy Jordan would be considered for the replacement of Matthew Morrison? Everyone agreeed he was amazing in the role, so why not bring him back?

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#31Finding Neverland
Posted: 8/3/15 at 11:44am

^ I highly doubt that will happen.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
Updated On: 8/3/15 at 11:44 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#32Finding Neverland
Posted: 8/3/15 at 11:45am

"Do you think Jeremy Jordan would be considered for the replacement of Matthew Morrison? Everyone agreeed he was amazing in the role, so why not bring him back?"

Who knows if he would even WANT to come back?  With his new TV show coming out, I'm sure he has no dearth of offers.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#33Finding Neverland
Posted: 8/3/15 at 11:47am

I'm not going to explicitly denigrate Finding Neverland, but I can unequivocally and unbiasedly say that there are just so many better things on Broadway right now. SO many. It's damn lucky that it has such commercial appeal. 

Updated On: 8/3/15 at 11:47 AM

skies Profile Photo
skies
#34Finding Neverland
Posted: 8/3/15 at 12:28pm

" It's damn lucky that it has such commercial appeal. "

For a 20 million dollar investment, it better.

As to that number , there is this article:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/for-good-ticket-sales-try-bad-publicity-1429065099

" But now he is at the helm of a show he says could cost $15 million to $17 million after tax incentives are applied."

So does that mean the costs to recoup after taxes is 15-17 million?

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

asmith0307
#35Finding Neverland
Posted: 8/3/15 at 12:44pm

For rush - I got there about 1.5 hours before the box office opened, and I (and probably 8 or so people in front of me) were not able to get rush tickets. 

Back Row
#36Finding Neverland
Posted: 8/3/15 at 1:38pm

I was surprised at how strong the reactions were to this show, both positive and negative. I saw the first preview in Cambridge, and I thought it was a very enjoyable evening. Not great art, but whimsical and fun. Apparently, much of that whimsy was jettisoned on its way to Broadway, but I have no intention of seeing the Broadway production, so I can't comment on how that might have turned out. (Broadway vacations are reserved for shows I have not seen before).

I was also surprised at how strongly some people objected to Morrison. I always thought he was a talented guy, and that the transition from Jordan to Morrison would go relatively smoothly. I'm not sure what happened there, but some people obviously felt pretty strongly about it. 

Fortunately for Weinstein, the show seems to have taken on a life of its own, and he can probably stunt cast the hell out of it for a couple of years if he wants to. I wonder if his investment "$15 million to $17 million" includes all the money he spent on the show's previous incarnation in Leicester? If not, then it seems that it may have to run a pretty long time before it recoups. 

djdan1079
#37Finding Neverland
Posted: 8/3/15 at 9:29pm

Jaglin- the show was an abomination, but worst of the past 15 years?

You clearly didn't sit through Lysistrata Jones.

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#38Finding Neverland
Posted: 8/3/15 at 9:31pm

Or In My Life. Or BRKLYN.

firebolts Profile Photo
firebolts
#39Finding Neverland
Posted: 8/17/15 at 8:25pm

^ I actually liked In My Life...

I finally got around to listening to the cast recording - I absolutely love it. I don't understand why so many people tear it apart? It's enjoyable and the songs are so catchy. So much better than Something Rotten, in my opinion, which was Spamalot 2.0, but blander. Sad that it was overlooked at the Tonys. I hope it runs for a while! 

Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.
Updated On: 8/17/15 at 08:25 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#40Finding Neverland
Posted: 8/18/15 at 9:40am

Just listening to the cast album I always wonder why they didn't choose "Play" to perform at the Tonys. Also whenever I listen to the entire album I always skip over the pirate section. It's so bad.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Eurotrash Profile Photo
Eurotrash
#41Finding Neverland
Posted: 8/18/15 at 10:29am

Lovely show, but why it's such a crow-splitter, no need to ask. A family show with a fairly un-American aesthetic is not going to get a universal thumbs-up here, or among the Broadway community.

Why don't you go? Why don't you leave Manderley? He doesn't need you... he's got his memories. He doesn't love you, he wants to be alone again with her. You've nothing to stay for. You've nothing to live for really, have you?

bfreak
#42Finding Neverland
Posted: 8/18/15 at 1:08pm

Does anyone have any scoop as to when Kelsey Grammer is coming back? They had originally said September 15, but I just tweeted the show for confirmation and they told me that his official return date hasn't been confirmed yet and to wait for updates. I was going to purchase tickets for the 20th for Broadway week but now I'm not going to until they officially say he's coming back. While I'll still see the show if he's not in it, if I have the option I'd rather see it with him having the option. Thank you.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#43Finding Neverland
Posted: 8/18/15 at 2:40pm

I'm sorry, but if the SHOW can't  confirm it, how could any of us know?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Ali333
#44Finding Neverland
Posted: 8/18/15 at 3:16pm

"As far as grosses, I don't think they have anything to worry about. Morrison's contracted through January, so it'll be interesting to see what will happen after that."

We saw the show last week. I thought it was okay but my daughters (aged 18 and 20) loved it. What surprised me most was the audience reaction, especially to Morrison. He received huge entrance applause and the audience went nuts for everything, so much so that I found myself thinking, "Come on, it's not that good." I have never seen audience reaction like that anywhere. I don't know if it's like this at every performance but I had no idea Morrison had such a large and vocal fan base. It must be great fun for the performers to play to that kind of crowd each night.

bfreak
#45Finding Neverland
Posted: 8/18/15 at 3:22pm

"I'm sorry, but if the SHOW can't  confirm it, how could any of us know?

Only because sometimes there are people who know people connected to the show and hear rumors and stuff. I was just wondering. Not a big deal. I'll wait to hear from them when he comes back. I'm sure we'll hear an announcement soon if Anthony Warlow is contracted only through September 13th. :)

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#46Finding Neverland
Posted: 8/18/15 at 3:24pm

There are always people who know stuff that the social media team can't confirm.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

bfreak
#47Finding Neverland
Posted: 8/20/15 at 10:05pm

Chris Dwan actually saw an Instagram post of mine asking when Kelsey would be back and he told me that the reason for his hiatus was so he could spend time with his children that were home from college. He added he should be back in September.

trpguyy
#48Finding Neverland
Posted: 8/21/15 at 4:48am

CurtainPullDowner said: "The show is NOT grossing 1.1 million, that's what it's taking in. With a nut in the 700,000 field they are lucky to be "grossing" 300,000 a week.  If and when Morrison leaves the show will probably take a nose dive."

This is just so very, very special.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#49Finding Neverland
Posted: 9/5/15 at 3:33pm

Hmm: https://twitter.com/GaryBarlow/status/640105402697428993

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt