Matilda Movie cast

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#25Matilda Movie cast
Posted: 8/20/15 at 5:23pm

^ Ever since Bertie left, they have been seeing men and women for the role on Broadway. Why wouldn't we assume the same for the movie?

AEA AGMA SM
#26Matilda Movie cast
Posted: 8/20/15 at 5:24pm

Edna was written specifically to honor the film and Divine's role in it, the intention was always for it to be cast as a man in drag. The producers and creators of Matilda have stated in the past that they would be open to casting a woman in the role if they found the right fit. Now, they may have since changed their mind, but at least in theory it has not been a hard and fast rule that the role must be played by a man in drag.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#27Matilda Movie cast
Posted: 8/20/15 at 5:37pm

HAIRSPRAY is a different animal altogether, as others have said, the casting of a male as Edna is part of the fabric of the story. MATILDA is somethong different; it reminds me more of how Mary Sunshine was played by a female in Rob Marshall's screen adaptation of the musical.

I love Missy Pyle, I doubt they'd cast her as Trunchbull but I can definitely see her being cast as Mrs. Wormhood, I imagine she'd be pretty high on the list of possibilities actually.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#28Matilda Movie cast
Posted: 8/20/15 at 8:18pm

Trunchbull is a man in part because MATILDA is a show obsessed with British trash culture in a way even the book, which featured criticisms of dumb television, was not. Trunchbull is a grotesque inversion of the pantomime dame, a large woman played by a man in drag. The use of a male character actor in slightly nightmarish female drag, with a voice somewhere between silly and disturbing also calls to mind the long tradition of drag as desexualized television comedy, from Monty Python to The League of Gentlemen, just as references are made to reality television, panel shows, Doctor Who (which, like it or not, is extremely British middlebrow) and other, seedier, elements of the British diaspora.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#29Matilda Movie cast
Posted: 8/20/15 at 8:48pm

"If they end up casting a female as Trunchbull I would like to see Missi Pyle. She has the stature to maintain the physically imposing, towering aspect of the character..."

Missi Pyle really would be good as a lady Trunchbull! When I was a kid the lady who played Trunchbull in the 90's film terrified me. I would love to see someone who can really be a villain.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#30Matilda Movie cast
Posted: 8/20/15 at 10:27pm

I heard the woman who played miss trunchbull in the movie actually auditioned for the stage show in hopes to be the trunch.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#31Matilda Movie cast
Posted: 8/20/15 at 10:55pm

I just learned from wikipedia that she was the same lady that played Harry Potter's terrible aunt who he turns into a big balloon woman!

Also, I was listening to the London recording of Matilda earlier today (for the first time in my life, I never felt the desire to do so until this movie news). I don't have the Broadway recording, did they drop the British accents?

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#32Matilda Movie cast
Posted: 8/20/15 at 11:38pm

Nope. All still British, but the creators were toying with the idea of Americanizing it for Broadway. I think they made the right choice by keeping it British.

KathyNYC2
#33Matilda Movie cast
Posted: 8/21/15 at 9:19am

The later Broadway Matildas were taught a sort of Americanized version of "English accents" but on the CD, the original four were still going out for straight out British accents.

I wonder if the film will go with all British casting such as they decided to do with Harry Potter...and I wonder if they would consider a girl for Matilda who already appeared at West End (or Broadway if all English is not in the cards). The original girls are too old but there are a bunch of young ones that might still work...

verdigris
#34Matilda Movie cast
Posted: 8/21/15 at 10:13am

I would assume they would want a predominantly British cast as the 1996 film was Americanised. I would think they would want to use a 'newbie' for the role of Matilda... they are very careful with "favoritism" amongst the girls (but who knows!). Also, I would love for a female to play the Trunch in the film, but I wouldn't complain if it was Bertie! Mrs W would probably be a hard cast... she really needs to sell the glammed up 'British chav', as well as being a very good dancer, and singer.

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#35Matilda Movie cast
Posted: 8/21/15 at 10:56am

Im gonna punch the next person who says "gritty" in the face. Matilda isn't some kind of hyper-realistic musical. It takes place in the world of Roald Dahl, which if you've ever seen Fantastic Mr. Fox, you would know translates beautifully to the animated world.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#36Matilda Movie cast
Posted: 8/21/15 at 11:22am

I am on my iPad, so forgive any spelling mistakes

Miss Trunchbull-Bertie Carvel all the way! That transgendered coach from Glee would be a great alternative.

Miss Honey-Emily Blunt would be ideal. I am sick of Anne Hathaway, but she would be great, as well. I would not be surprised if it was Lauren Ward, since she is married to the director. That would be nepotism though. If only we still had Natasha Richardson...

Mr. Wordworm: Sacha or James Corden would be terrific. I had another person, but I forget.

Mrs. Wordworm-Cameron Diaz, as long as it is not another Annie disaster. Fran Drescher would be perfect if she was much younger

Liza's Headband
#37Matilda Movie cast
Posted: 8/21/15 at 12:56pm

Emily Blunt would be ideal.

Not an option, as I already mentioned earlier on, because she will be in pre-production for another movie musical. 

That would be nepotism though.

Nepotism in Hollywood happens all the time.... Not sure what you're talking about (see: Burton & Carter). 

If only we still had Natasha Richardson...

She would be way too old to play that role in 2016.... 

James Corden would be terrific

Seeing as he has a full-time gig on late night television, that's simply not possible. 

Jesus Christ. Do people even put any logical thought or effort into their dream casting lists anymore??? 

FindingNamo
#38Matilda Movie cast
Posted: 8/21/15 at 1:00pm

The Debbie Downer whom no one invited to the party, who can contribute nothing but his own implicit superiority to the uninformed or willingly blinkered masses. 

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#39Matilda Movie cast
Posted: 8/21/15 at 1:01pm

Matilda would make a fantastic stop-motion film, allowing for grotesqueries and caricature that live-action doesn't.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#40Matilda Movie cast
Posted: 8/21/15 at 5:01pm

At least the Acrobat stories should be animated to match the imagination of a child's.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#41Matilda Movie cast
Posted: 8/21/15 at 6:04pm

Kad said: "Matilda would make a fantastic stop-motion film, allowing for grotesqueries and caricature that live-action doesn't. "

I have to agree with this.  This musical isn't what I would call gritty, but instead very cartoonish.  Dahl's stories are dark and grotesque.  Stop motion could really capture the story and the look of the musical.  Plus, animation allows for some more inspired casting since the only thing taken into acount is the voice.

For a stop motion animated Matilda

Matilda: Sydney Lucas

Trunchbull: Alan Cumming

Miss Honey: Kelli O'Hara

Mr. Wormwood: Sacha Baron Cohen 

Miss Wormwood: Catherine Zeta-Jones

phantom phan2
#42Matilda Movie cast
Posted: 10/19/16 at 7:19am

would love to hear more news about this

Call_me_jorge
#43Matilda Movie cast
Posted: 10/19/16 at 7:50am

Anna Kendrick would be perfect for miss honey. If they had ever stunt casted the Broadway show she would have been ideal.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Theatre Fan3
#44Matilda Movie cast
Posted: 10/19/16 at 1:42pm

Liza's Headband said:  Jesus Christ. Do people even put any logical thought or effort into their dream casting lists anymore??? 

Did you even read what you posted???  It's "DREAM CASTING", what these people would love to see ... doesn't mean they think it's a real possibility.  Lighten up a bit!!

"

phantom phan2
#45Matilda Movie cast
Posted: 10/21/16 at 1:42am

amen!

lotiloti Profile Photo
lotiloti
#46Matilda Movie cast
Posted: 10/21/16 at 7:21am

I hope Gypsy, you didn't miss the unlisted track on the OLC (it's not on the OBC)  If you wait 45 secs after the last listed track ends. The rant follows.

Call_me_jorge
#47Matilda Movie cast
Posted: 10/21/16 at 9:48am

One of my favorite parts of the OLC which is not on the current show is during the song miracle when the wormwood parents sing "why do bad things always happen to good people..." I just think that moment and everything after is so thrilling.

Call_me_jorge
#48Matilda Movie cast
Posted: 10/21/16 at 10:03pm

Here's my full realistic cast

Matilda: Unknown
Miss Honey: Anna Kendrick
Miss Trunchbull: Bertie Carvel
Mrs. Wormwood: Cameron Diaz
Mr. Wormwood: Taran Killam
Michael Wormwood: Pete Davidson
Mrs. Phelps: Viola Davis
I would also love of Mara Wilson made a cameo appearance