pixeltracker

Hamilton: The Mixtape (Remixes, Covers & Others)- Page 5

Hamilton: The Mixtape (Remixes, Covers & Others)

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#100Hamilton: The Mixtape (Remixes, Covers & Others)
Posted: 11/10/16 at 5:39pm

Clarkson got taken down from youtube

SueBee06
DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#102Hamilton: The Mixtape (Remixes, Covers & Others)
Posted: 11/10/16 at 6:41pm

Immigrants is my favorite of all the released songs. I like that it's an original song influenced by a Hamilton song and not a straight copy like the others.

snl89
#103Hamilton: The Mixtape (Remixes, Covers & Others)
Posted: 11/10/16 at 8:13pm

Daaaang, Immigrants just gave me some MAJOR chills, especially having literally just read Trump's insane plan for mass deportations direct from his website.

I just think it's really, really awesome that Hamilton is not just an amazing show in itself, but it's also inspiring other amazing, incredibly topical art. I don't think it's inaccurate to say that Lin and the show have inspired a bit of a resurgence of the kind of meaningful, politics-rooted rap that we haven't seen in the mainstream since the '90s, and that excites me very much! 

And yeah, agreed with what others have said: I love Immigrants and My Shot more than the other two, just because It's Quiet Uptown and Satisfied, while really good covers, don't really offer much that the cast recording doesn't already provide. I really enjoy the ones that have been *inspired* by the show without just being straight covers. 

Definitely very excited to hear the rest of the songs!

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.
Updated On: 11/10/16 at 08:13 PM

luvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
#104Hamilton: The Mixtape (Remixes, Covers & Others)
Posted: 11/10/16 at 9:42pm

I love all four songs, but I must say that I really love Sia et al's straightforward rendition of "Satisfied."  It illustrates beautifully that these are great pop songs that stand on their own, outside the show. I wouldn't have changed a thing. 

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#105Hamilton: The Mixtape (Remixes, Covers & Others)
Posted: 11/11/16 at 12:01am

Love immigrants too. As I previously said, I am most excited for the more out of the box tracks.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

hamiltonboys
#106Hamilton: The Mixtape (Remixes, Covers & Others)
Posted: 11/11/16 at 12:56am

Love Satisfied. I was sort of hoping for her to adapt it and create something new (since she is a fantastic songwriter), but the song is amazing anyways so I'm not too upset that she didn't change much about it. 

RW3
#107Hamilton: The Mixtape (Remixes, Covers & Others)
Posted: 11/11/16 at 1:31am

Satisfied is fire.

IMMIGRANTS is even more fire.

These 4 tracks are so damn good.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#108Hamilton: The Mixtape (Remixes, Covers & Others)
Posted: 11/11/16 at 1:32am

Not too disappointed with Satisfied (it was the song I was most looking forward to). For some reason I expected her vocals to be a little stronger - but it really is hard to compete with that amazing original recording. From the couple of recordings I've heard, it's been a bit difficult for anyone to quite reach Renee. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

rjm516
#109Hamilton: The Mixtape (Remixes, Covers & Others)
Posted: 11/11/16 at 8:07am

Immigrants is EXACTLY what we all need this week. Oh my god. YES.

I love Sia on Satisfied, but Queen Latifah is the best part of it. I SO want more from her. I wish there were 2 more original verses or something for Queen Latifah to do I just want MORE! She's the best.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#110Hamilton: The Mixtape (Remixes, Covers & Others)
Posted: 11/11/16 at 10:18am

I haven't been too impressed with these four, but I understand I'm not the intended audience. But to me, the best covers reimagine and reinterpret a song to bring out new meanings. There is really an art to doing a good cover, and It's much harder than people realize. Also, in the case of Hamilton, the originals were so well composed, arranged, and performed, it's hard to come up with something totally different that works as well.

So far, to me, My Shot is the most successful. I like that the lyrics were rewritten. On the other hand, in Immigrants, they use the sample of "Immigrants: we get the job done" too often. I mean, we get it, we get it!

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#111Hamilton: The Mixtape (Remixes, Covers & Others)
Posted: 11/11/16 at 10:44am

who would you say is the "intended audience"?

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#112Hamilton: The Mixtape (Remixes, Covers & Others)
Posted: 11/11/16 at 11:02am

People younger than me, people interested in pop music and/or rap music.

Updated On: 11/11/16 at 11:02 AM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#113Hamilton: The Mixtape (Remixes, Covers & Others)
Posted: 11/11/16 at 9:51pm

Yeah, I'm a huge Clarkson/Sia fan, but can't get into this. I don't know. Something about the music rings false to me, and in the case with "the unimaginable" just super cheesy. That's an awful lyric. I think Satisfied is great song, but doesn't really pack a punch without the context of the show. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#114Hamilton: The Mixtape (Remixes, Covers & Others)
Posted: 11/12/16 at 12:12am

your child dying isn't something people like to imagine. Hence unimaginable. I've heard many people say that's the most powerful song in the score, i'm sure it's not because the lyric is awful.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

aaaaaa15
#115Hamilton: The Mixtape (Remixes, Covers & Others)
Posted: 11/12/16 at 10:55am

Yep 'the unimaginable' line is perfectly suited to that song. 

Anyway, I think people are missing the point of this slightly. If this was meant to make you feel like the songs make you feel in the show, then they would all be straight covers, done chronologically. If Renee Elise Goldsberry sang Satisfied at a concert, it wouldn't pack the same punch as it does watching it in the context of the show. These are pop covers, probably with the intention of radio play. 

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#116Hamilton: The Mixtape (Remixes, Covers & Others)
Posted: 11/12/16 at 11:07am

I understand they are intended to be pop covers, but I'm wondering if they are good pop covers. Of course we've heard only four of them. 

Jimmyb1969
#117Hamilton: The Mixtape (Remixes, Covers & Others)
Posted: 11/12/16 at 12:16pm

Pure genius! Pure Lin!

Can't wait for the rest of the tracks to be released. This musicals importance is far greater than any of us even realize. I've seen it 4 times and it's a different experience each time. 

Bravo!

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#118Hamilton: The Mixtape (Remixes, Covers & Others)
Posted: 11/12/16 at 12:38pm

I have been using kelly clarksons quiet uptown as my post election stress disorder medication. Here's a bit of me lip syncing to the song with a special book in my hand.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Pauly3
#119Hamilton: The Mixtape (Remixes, Covers & Others)
Posted: 11/12/16 at 4:39pm

I like the mixtape idea, and so far the vocals are very good to excellent.  But much of the synthesized electronic music is very off-putting.  “It’s Quiet Uptown” is like two different songs with two very different and opposite impacts on the listener (at least for me).  Kelly Clarkson's vocal performance is great to stunning and when paired with only a piano (acoustic or not), the performance is staggeringly good and emotional.  When the electronic sounds come, the emotion nearly evaporates with the song falling off to mediocre to decent.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#120Hamilton: The Mixtape (Remixes, Covers & Others)
Posted: 11/12/16 at 6:40pm

Exactly. How good is 3:33 to 4:15,  particularly from 4:02 - "Forgiveness, can you imagineeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...forgiveness" with just the piano and some sincere vocals. Then the beat has to drop and kill the song haha. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

luvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
#121Hamilton: The Mixtape (Remixes, Covers & Others)
Posted: 11/13/16 at 7:30pm

For what it's worth "It's Quiet Uptown" is #6 on Entertainment Weeky's "Must List" this week. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#122Hamilton: The Mixtape (Remixes, Covers & Others)
Posted: 11/16/16 at 6:52pm

rumor has it Wrote My Way Out, Helpless and Wait For It are all to be released soon...based on the fact that they now have their times marked on itunes and the same happened last week before Satisfied and Immigrants were released. very exciting!

Castle2
#123Hamilton: The Mixtape (Remixes, Covers & Others)
Posted: 11/17/16 at 8:20am

Wait For It and Wrote My Way Out released today. Wait For It is a pretty standard cover, not great, not bad in my opinion. I love Wrote My Way Out. 

SueBee06
#124Hamilton: The Mixtape (Remixes, Covers & Others)
Posted: 11/17/16 at 10:31am

Castle2 said: "Wait For It and Wrote My Way Out released today. Wait For It is a pretty standard cover, not great, not bad in my opinion. I love Wrote My Way Out. 

Did the various artists change up the lyrics for Wrote My Way Out? To me, the best tracks have been Immigrants and My Shot because they aren't straight covers.