Jabere
#75On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 10/7/15 at 12:39am

I smell tony noms

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#76On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 10/7/15 at 12:45am

Ray, Burns' part is not large. She has one solo (mostly in Spanish) and a duet late in act two. There are large stretches of the show where she does not appear.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#77On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 10/7/15 at 5:01am

ray-andallthatjazz86 said: "Can someone talk a bit more about Andrea Burns? I think she's just wonderful and I'm wondering if her role gives her enough to do...she's so often underused when she should be the star of the show. Love her.

"

I'm wondering the same thing! Hoping to see the show later in the week. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#78On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 10/7/15 at 7:39am

Jabere said: "I smell tony noms"

I smell a troll...

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#79On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 10/7/15 at 7:59am

Also seeing the show tomorrow night. Looking forward to it.

Didn't an old troll smell Tony Nominations for a show called Honeymoon in Vegas? Odd sounds somewhat similar.

"

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.
Updated On: 10/7/15 at 07:59 AM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#80On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 10/7/15 at 10:32am

Burns' role was small but hardly insignificant. I can definitely see her taking a space for a supporting actress nomination.  

a-mad
#81On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 10/7/15 at 2:10pm

Song list?

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#82On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 10/7/15 at 3:06pm

I'm going tomorrow night, and I am very excited!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#83On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 10/7/15 at 3:08pm

a-mad said: "Song list?"

On Your Feet! Previews

bwayphreak234
#84On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 10/8/15 at 11:40pm

I saw this tonight. This show is pure joy from beginning to end, and I had such a great time. The cast is absolutely wonderful, and it looks like they are having the time of their lives up on that stage. Anna Villafane is giving a great Broadway debut. Josh Segara is also great, and oh boy is he attractive (especially in those shorts). Andrea Burns was also a standout. I found this to be one of the more interesting jukebox musicals I have seen. I enjoyed this much more than Beautiful and Motown. I knew next to nothing about Gloria Estefan's life and music going into the show, but I still enjoyed it immensely. The act 1 finale is a blast. I would definitely recommend this one.

Kwong3
#85On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 10/9/15 at 6:29pm

It looks like this is going to do well on Broadway. I personally hope that it will get excellent reviews. So glad everyone thinks its not your average jukebox. 

Updated On: 10/9/15 at 06:29 PM

brdway411
#86On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 10/9/15 at 11:07pm

I just got home from the show. I loved it. So much fun. Is it the greatest thing I have ever seen, not by a long shot. If you like Gloria's music, GO. Ana Villafane is a dead ringer for Gloria. The book is a little cheesy, but so much better than Motown (which I HATED). One thing I did find annoying(I was sitting in the Mezz) IT'S LOUD and the music and vocals didn't always balance out. Sometimes the music over-powered the vocals. Looking forward to returning again. As for song list, just pick up her Greatest Hits album. 

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#87On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 10/10/15 at 1:22pm

Saw "On Your Feet" Wednesday - Gloria and these songs are placed in my life's time line like Jersey Boys was for my parents. Interestingly Beautiful's first act was theirs and second act mine. I had a great time at On Your Feet for just those reasons - it was like comfort food. Theatrically artistically speaking it was a bit like junk food. You know it's not good for you but you devour it willingly entusiastically and love it.

But truth be told it really is LifeTime television on Broadway and because we know the ending before we go in theres not much tension driving the show. I was hoping the book was going to be smarter and if it couldn't tell us something we didn't know tell the story with some flair and originality. 

Performances are all good the lead has the perfect voice and presence but isn't given much to show her acting chops if she has any. The actor playing Emelio has charm galore but falls short in the singing department.

The staging is proficient, the choreography while filled with great latin and disco dance steps is lacking in production number construction. They are simply straight up dance numbers, no build, blasé buttons.

On Wednesday night while the first act Conga and second act finale got the audience going all of the numbers in between received what I would characterize as polite short applause by Broadway standards. It felt like they wasted the good will of the audience getting excited by the memory of a song and did nothing to raise the stakes theatrically. 

Not sure what the Latin market is for Broadway shows but I can see this satisfying Gloria fans and tourists. For those who thrive on Hamilton, Fun Home, Spring Awakening, Curious Incident type shows it's disappointing.

But I do love my junk food and glad I saw it. I'm thinking this will run.

Up In One
Updated On: 10/10/15 at 01:22 PM

futuresuperstar9
#88On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 10/10/15 at 5:17pm

what are the audiences like for this show? in terms of capacity? 

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#89On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 10/10/15 at 10:12pm

I can only speak for the orchestra section Wednesday night. The only empty seats were in the far back side corners of the orchestra. It felt 95% full - don't know what upstairs looked like.

Up In One

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#90On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 10/10/15 at 10:50pm

Whizzer said "Dusoleil, I was in the mezz and think you might get better stage pictures, especially during the dance sequences, from up there rather than being too close"

I don't think Dusoleil meant he was going to "shoot pictures." I think  he meant he was going to shoot for different seats. I'm surprised you're advocating taking pictures!

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

brdway411
#91On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 10/10/15 at 11:07pm

Friday night it was almost full 99% only saw a few empty seats in the mezz 

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#92On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 10/10/15 at 11:08pm

Jane, Ha, no I'm definitely not advocating for the taking of pictures! Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I meant the choreography created a picture/formation on the stage, one that you might only see from a bird's-eye view rather than from eye level in the orchestra.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#93On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 10/11/15 at 1:02am

Still no rush or anything? 

brdway411
#94On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 10/11/15 at 8:04am

I did the $55 rear mezz seats. Great view for the money. The row in front of me was $149

bwayphreak234
#95On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 10/11/15 at 8:08am

I also sat in the $55 mezzanine seats. Right in the middle of row J. The view was absolutely perfect.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#96On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 10/13/15 at 12:15am

Saw the show tonight. Everyone was loving it, and I found almost all of it enjoyable, I had major problems with the book. The dialogue at times barely reached Lifetime biopic level, and act one kept losing its momentum whenever it went back in time; also wished they hadn't started the show with a MSM number because then after getting all amped up we had to go back in time . (On a somewhat related note, I hated some of the translated lyrics and wasn't a huge fan of the two new songs.) 

That said, it moved very quickly and the talent is really quite incredible on the stage. There were also some lovely moments, particularly during Gloria's dream sequence (?) which used her song Wrapped. In all I enjoyed but I didn't find myself loving it as much as I hoped I would. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
Updated On: 10/13/15 at 12:15 AM

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#97On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 10/13/15 at 1:44am

I enjoyed it, is it a perfect show? No. But it's a great show. Her bus accident definitely brings a little depth into the show. The good news is that she basically sings all her big hits.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

joeyv2
#98On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 10/15/15 at 8:10am

Unfortunately, I hated this and often found myself sighing and cringing. I was so disappointed not to love it, but to me it was the very worst of musical theatre: horrible dialogue, abrupt cheesy transitions/framing devices into songs, a TON of awkward exposition spoken by characters as a means of advancing the story, and I felt like the set looked quite cheap. The show felt rushed to me, like they were waiting to see if Beautiful was going to be a hit, and then pieced together this show very quickly.

I could have envisioned about a dozen different ways to interestingly tell this story. The team behind this, to my mind, opted for the lowest hanging fruit here. The first act ends on a truly terrible note, one that doesn't carry much narrative weight - and one that's oddly offensive given all the times the show awkwardly denounces cultural and ethnic stereotyping and then subsequently enacts a bunch of cultural and ethnic stereotypes (spoiler: a bizarre series of bah mitzvahs and Italian weddings that erupt into a conga line into the audience).

Oddly, despite all the dancing and music, it all felt a bit low energy too.

I'm glad others are enjoying it, but I thought it was horrendous. There's no excuse a juxebox musical full of excellent, catchy songs should have subpar staging or such a poor book. 

Different Drum
#99On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 10/15/15 at 9:13am

joeyv2 said: "Unfortunately, I hated this and often found myself sighing and cringing... it was the very worst of musical theatre.

This sounds a lot like what the NY critics will say in a few weeks time. Another paint-by-numbers vanity jukebox musical.

So this year's candidate is no Jersey Boys. But before we get all apoplectic about jukebox musicals being the bane of the theatre, let's count the number of new screen-to-stage adaptations that will be clogging the arteries of midtown this season - (1) School of Rock, (2) Tuck Everlasting, (3) Waitress, (4) American Psycho. And more coming to a theater near you!

Videos