pixeltracker

ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?- Page 3

ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?

dented146 Profile Photo
dented146
#50ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 10/20/15 at 2:20am

I had the good fortune to see both On Your Feet and Hamilton this last weekend. My expectation is that both will be big fat hits. They will appeal to different audiences, I suppose, although I loved both for different reasons. Gloria was at the Friday performance which was fun to see. OYF was far more entertaining than I expected it to be. It is fun, the book is just fine, and the show has a great deal of heart.

I thought Hamilton was a brilliant show which pretty much lives up to the hype. Much has been said about the rap and I did struggle a bit with that aspect. But I was completely taken with the many beautiful melodies and sensitive lyrics. I loved the way the enormous content was structured, made relevant, and brought to life.

These two shows, so very different, are Broadway.

Updated On: 10/20/15 at 02:20 AM

Little turtle
#51ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 10/30/15 at 5:20pm

I've been following this board for over six years and after last night's performance of OYF felt compelled to join and weigh in. I had to scroll down five pages to find anything on it, which tells how little interest there is from the community. I cannot believe a group of blue chip Broadway veterans put up such a flimsy, trite and undeserving show. The set - three panels. The choreography - uninspired. The story - uneventful. Wanted to like the show but it fell completely flat except for Ana Villafane who did as well as she could with the material. This makes Baby It's You look like Jersey Boys

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#52ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 10/30/15 at 5:39pm

Totally disagree but everyone is entitled to their opinion. The viewing public will ultimately decide its fate.

Poster Emeritus

Different Drum
#53ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 10/31/15 at 10:13am

Caught On Your Feet this week. With all the praise on this board, I was expecting something more than the banal vanity project on display at the Marquis. The house was packed, but the audience was subdued until the end when the company compelled us to get on our feet. Granted, most jukebox musicals are lame vanity projects built around great songs. But this was the first one that left me asking Why? Why is this story worthy of a bio-musical treatment? What about this catalog is deserving of a theatrical score? Notwithstanding the initial turnout from Estefan fans, it's difficult to see this show - with its enormous capitalization and weekly running costs - having a successful run.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#54ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 10/31/15 at 10:44am

Cool. 

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#55ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 11/1/15 at 10:00pm

Ask after seeing the show a couple of weeks ago, and relaying my blistering review of the book, I ended up going back on Friday. Maybe because I knew what to expect, I ended up enjoying it a lot more this time. I think it also helped that while the book didn't seem any more edited, they picked up the timing and the energy, so those barely-Lifetime movie quality family moments were palatable, particularly in the once painfully slow first half.

I do agree with the poster who said there were so many other songs from those years that could've been more dramatically effective. Wrapped is my absolute favorite moment in the show and worth the return, the potential for the show to be transcendent was right there  But they they the audience wants the big fat hits, and the audience was ratifying it up  

They also thankfully un-Englished most of Mi Tierra, which is now so much more effective. They should just completely reverted it back to Spanish - but it looks like it was a critics' night Friday, so I think we're stuck with it. I'm saw Jesse Green of New York Magazine and Elisabeth Vincentelli of The Post were there, and I'm really not expecting raves from particularly Vincentelli.

My favorite moment of th show was the old couple behind us having the discuss what was just said. When Wrapped came one of them said, "I think this is the afterlife." I wanted to turn around and say "Spoiler alert - I think they're both in the mezzanine, it's gonna be okay."

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#56ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 11/1/15 at 10:05pm

^Don't expect a rave from Jesse Green ether. Anyone who saw the recent Theater Talk Fall Season Preview knows he can be a grinch when it comes to jukebox musicals. He didn't even like Jersey Boys which he thought was a big slimey ball of vaseline.

Updated On: 11/1/15 at 10:05 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#57ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 11/1/15 at 10:15pm

I think the Vaseline comment describes Mr Green to a t. To think anyone actually pays attention to this egotistical bag of hot air is mind boggling.

Poster Emeritus

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#58ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 11/1/15 at 10:24pm

I haven't met a jukebox musical I like much, either. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

CukorLover Profile Photo
CukorLover
#59ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 11/2/15 at 10:39pm

Wondering if Isherwood or Brantley will be reviewing this…...

Petralicious Profile Photo
Petralicious
#60ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 11/3/15 at 9:06am

Is Gloria Estefan on the same level as Four Seasons, Carol King, Motown, Abba? These are legends who are popular in United States and abroad, I do not get that from Miami Sound Machine.  I dont think so. She is like Soccer, popular in parts of the population and world, but not really in mainstream United States. No desire to see this and I will see anything especially for free.

When They Go Low, I Go High
Updated On: 11/3/15 at 09:06 AM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#61ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 11/3/15 at 9:11am

It is quite good and well worth your time.

I do not know of anyone who would not see anything for free. A few shows I have seen I would take a pass on seeing them again even if the tickets were for free. I will not name them for fear of being taken to task for unfairly beating up on a show.

Poster Emeritus

Petralicious
#62ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 11/3/15 at 9:25am

Mr Roxy said: "It is quite good and well worth your time.

I do not know of anyone who would not see anything for free. A few shows I have seen I would take a pass on seeing them again even if the tickets were for free. I will not name them for fear of being taken to task for unfairly beating up on a show.

"I respect your opinion Mr Roxy, i just do not enjoy Conga music.  You are probably right though, I would see it for free or with a group or if someone take me and should give it a chance. I just do not think it will be a big hit as is the original question. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#63ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 11/3/15 at 9:37am

Petralicious said: "Is Gloria Estefan on the same level as Four Seasons, Carol King, Motown, Abba? These are legends who are popular in United States and abroad, I do not get that from Miami Sound Machine.  I dont think so. She is like Soccer, popular in parts of the population and world, but not really in mainstream United States. No desire to see this and I will see anything especially for fre

"

You were clearly not alive during the height of her success, because she was massively popular in the US.

Petralicious
#64ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 11/3/15 at 9:51am

ljay889 said: "Petralicious said: "Is Gloria Estefan on the same level as Four Seasons, Carol King, Motown, Abba? These are legends who are popular in United States and abroad, I do not get that from Miami Sound Machine.  I dont think so. She is like Soccer, popular in parts of the population and world, but not really in mainstream United States. No desire to see this and I will see anything especially for fre

"You are right ljay,  I was not alive during ABBA, Carol King, Motown or Four Seasons either, but they are all considered among the best of their generations. Their popularity is very high even now.  Was anyone even think of GE and the MSM since then? To me they are in comparison to Bananarama or Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam.

You were clearly not alive during the height of her success, because she was massively popular in the US.

"

CukorLover Profile Photo
CukorLover
#65ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 11/3/15 at 9:53am

..and the younger demographic now weighs in for this show…...

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#66ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 11/3/15 at 10:13am

The younger demographic plus the Latin theme will be the areas that the marketing team needs to exploit. Hopefully, the reviews will be good but I gave up, long ago, hoping for those for any shows.

Poster Emeritus

Braniff Forever
#67ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 11/3/15 at 10:58am

This is how I would rank the musicals I've seen this year:

1. Fun Home

2. Hamilton

3. On Your Feet

4. The Visit

5. On the Twentieth Century

6. Kinky Boots

7. Wicked

8.  Chicago

9. A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder

obviously this does not rank the plays I've seen. THE AUDIENCE is my favorite play of the year

Updated On: 11/3/15 at 10:58 AM

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#68ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 11/4/15 at 12:05am

Caught it tonight.  There is  a moment in the show, the Emilio Estefan negotiates a 50 million dollar contract for his wife Gloria. After getting the contract signed a cohort comments  to Emilio..."how do you walk (sit?) with balls that big?"

That is kind of what I thought of the show.  The Estefans have balls to be one of the lead producers and lead creators to cash in on their own life story...a story that is not very interesting.   You know she becomes famous. You know they get together. Wheres the conflict? Where is the interest? The story is very slight and not worthy of a two hand a half hour show.  And they expect to cash in again. And they just might because of the Estefan name and the Estefan Jukebox. (Although Turn The Beat Around and some of the other good numbers were  written by someone else.)

The music is catchy as the Miami Sound Machine's music is. .Half of the audience seemed to be having a great time and the other half (including myself) had  a "I can't believe the hubris of this" on their face.

Does it have some decent musical numbers and exuberant dancing? Sure. Are there moments that work? Sure. Are the actors and dancers giving it their all? Sure. But the overall story is so slight and panders to a least common denominator for good but mindless and pedestrian fluff. The exuberant musical numbers do seem to be of the cruise ship variety as someone else pointed out. I will admit it was high caliber cruise ship dancing but cruise ship dancing none the less. And if they trimmed it to 90 minutes which they could easily do, it could be a decent Vegas Show.

As someone who loves good and great musical theatre, this shows just bothers me.  Carol King didn't have a hand in beautiful and Beautiful works! That story is interesting.

This show panders to the lowest common denominator of mindless drivel masquerading as a Broadway Musical. If you are an Estefan fan, you may love it.  I do like Estefan's music but I found this an exercise in self promotion.

Updated On: 11/4/15 at 12:05 AM

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#69ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 11/4/15 at 10:05am

I saw this last night and found it very enjoyable. A definite crowd-pleaser. The music is great (obviously) and the cast is fantatstic (Ana Villafane and Josh Segarra are very, very good). A few bits do tend to drag,  the book is far from perfect, and I wish there were less ballads (especially in the second act) and more big production numbers. Many of Estefan's bigger, uptempo numbers are really just snippets strewn about the show, or done in the megamix at curtain call. It's fun, and I enjoyed it more than Mamma Mia and Jersey Boys (haven't seen Beautiful so I can't compare.) I hope it does well.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

VintageSnarker
#70ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 11/4/15 at 10:51pm

Can someone please post the song list from the Playbill?

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#71ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 11/4/15 at 11:26pm

Caught "On Your Feet" today and enjoyed it. The book is thin but who cares if you like Gloria and the MSM.

The drama works best when Villafane, Burns and Cuervo are on stage... all excellent.

Segarra struggled and his songs were rough.  The ensemble are working at 150% and that's what makes this show so much fun. I loved the energy in all the dance numbers and would return for that alone.  I had a hard time taking my eyes off Liz Ramos in the ensemble. She was simply on fire the entire show. 

Everyone around me thoroughly enjoyed the show.  It's definitely a crowd pleaser and will make big bucks.

JeanGeorge
#72ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 11/4/15 at 11:32pm

If only people could be as good producers such as will smith. Who produced Fela which was daring for a production for broadway.

Trish2
#73ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 11/5/15 at 12:19am

I saw the show tonight as well, and without going into detail I'll just agree with golden boy's very astute review above, with just a few additions.

It's a drag of a show. I was sitting 10th row center and the packed audience pretty much sat there in either disbelief or were digesting their dinners. Bad book aside, the quiet scenes are quiet, VERY quiet, with enough beats between dialogue to sing 16 bars of your audition song. Perhaps a more inventive Director other than Mitchell could have at least picked up the pace and also given that poor Mr. Segarra a kick "in the balls" to get his words out, let alone teach him to carry a tune. What a disappointment. To think that the producers brought this guy in from Chicago is mind-boggling.

Villafañe, Burns, Cuervo and the ensemble are the talented ones carrying this polished, over-stuffed turkey.

The only "crowd-pleasing" aspect of the show tonight was the 10 minute mega-mix finale that had those terrific dancers giving it all they got. If only the previous two hours were that much fun.

Braniff Forever
#74ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 11/5/15 at 12:39am

I found Josh Segarra to be so physically appealing, I could have cared less if he couldn't sing that good. Did you see the way he filled out his pants? And his voice was very sexy!! 

Updated On: 11/5/15 at 12:39 AM