pixeltracker

Harvey Weinstein to Bring SINGIN' IN THE RAIN to Broadway!- Page 3

Harvey Weinstein to Bring SINGIN' IN THE RAIN to Broadway!

BrightLights3
#50Harvey Weinstein to Bring SINGIN' IN THE RAIN to Broadway!
Posted: 11/26/15 at 10:12pm

ChildofEarth said: "Oh me as well. I think he's shrill. But it was a thought."

Chris Colfer as Don Lockwood was either clueless or trolling. I'm leaning towards the latter. 

Tony Yazbeck was a replacement in the Drury Lane production a few years back. After OTT, he's really an obvious choice. Can't say I'm confident Weinstein will see it that way.

Updated On: 11/26/15 at 10:12 PM

lala3
#51Harvey Weinstein to Bring SINGIN' IN THE RAIN to Broadway!
Posted: 11/27/15 at 4:22pm

I agree that the Chris Colfer rumour or whatever it is, is just that. And a ridiculous one. I like Chris Colfer a lot but he is unbelievably wrong for Don Lockwood or Cosmo. He can't really dance. And his voice is completely wrong as well as just not good enough in my opinion.

When I saw the production in London, I though Matthew was perfect for it. He has the chops in dancing and singing, can play that romantic movie star idol well, and feels the right 'period look'. However, I am not sure he'd want to do another show so quickly after Neverland.

Fairchild would also be good. And Santino Fontana. Although I really hope his show Crazy Ex-Girlfriend gets a second season because it's brilliant and he is fantastic in it. Which would prevent him from doing the show on Broadway.

Yasbeck seems better suited to Cosmo to me.

It's probably way too much to ask but I would love Annaleigh Ashford as Lina Lamont

I was surprised this show didn't do well on Broadway, but then again the film is perfection and a real tough act to follow. One of my favourite musical films of all time.

LaurenG3
#52Harvey Weinstein to Bring SINGIN' IN THE RAIN to Broadway!
Posted: 1/2/16 at 7:09am

Apparently Derek Hough from Dancing With The Stars told people during a Q&A a few months ago that Weinstein had asked him to do Singin in the Rain but wasn't sure he was going to do it because the time commitment was a bit too long for his schedule. About a week ago he gave an interview where he said he had some things planned on Broadway in the future. Derek seems like a big possibility at this point.

My first reaction to this was "Oh no, not another reality star on Broadway!" For me, Tony Yazbeck would be the most obvious choice for the lead role. However after doing some research I found out that Derek graduated from a Theatre School in England and made his West End debut at age 20 in the lead role in Footloose the Musical in 2006. So maybe this won't be a total disaster after all if he is indeed cast in SITR.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#53Harvey Weinstein to Bring SINGIN' IN THE RAIN to Broadway!
Posted: 1/2/16 at 11:09am

Not to mention, from a ticket selling point of view Hough would be smart for the box-office. He is THE professional star of "Dancing With The Stars" and clearly has a following.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#54Harvey Weinstein to Bring SINGIN' IN THE RAIN to Broadway!
Posted: 1/2/16 at 12:51pm

Derek was phenomenal in Footloose in the UK. There's a video of it from early 2000s I believe and while the show maybe isn't everyone's favorite he certainly made it worth watching for his dancing alone and on top of that also gave a solid acting and singing performance with the material given. If he does end up in Singin' in the Rain it won't just be another reality star on Broadway. He is a true triple threat.

broadwayboy222 Profile Photo
broadwayboy222
#55Harvey Weinstein to Bring SINGIN' IN THE RAIN to Broadway!
Posted: 1/2/16 at 3:16pm

Tony Yazbeck as Don

Laura Osnes as Kathy

Helene York as Lina 

not as sure for this one but maybe Brandon Uranowitz as Cosmo? 

broadwayboy222 Profile Photo
broadwayboy222
#56Harvey Weinstein to Bring SINGIN' IN THE RAIN to Broadway!
Posted: 1/2/16 at 3:17pm

or even better Rob McClure as Cosmo! 

Ranger Tom
#57Harvey Weinstein to Bring SINGIN' IN THE RAIN to Broadway!
Posted: 1/2/16 at 7:23pm

Saw the original tour with Cynthia Ferrer.  Loads of fun.

Tony Yazbeck, Mara Davi, Andrew Rannells, Annaleigh Ashford

LaurenG3
#58Harvey Weinstein to Bring SINGIN' IN THE RAIN to Broadway!
Posted: 1/4/16 at 7:10pm

LaurenG3 said: "Apparently Derek Hough from Dancing With The Stars told people during a Q&A a few months ago that Weinstein had asked him to do Singin in the Rain but wasn't sure he was going to do it because the time commitment was a bit too long for his schedule. About a week ago he gave an interview where he said he had some things planned on Broadway in the future. Derek seems like a big possibility at this point.

My first reaction to this was "Oh no, not another reality star on Broadway!" For me, Tony Yazbeck would be the most obvious choice for the lead role. However after doing some research I found out that Derek graduated from a Theatre School in England and made his West End debut at age 20 in the lead role in Footloose the Musical in 2006. So maybe this won't be a total disaster after all if he is indeed cast in SITR.

"

Update: Derek just said on his FB page that he is headed to Paris to see a play which is where the current Production is running that will transfer to Broadway in the Fall. So I guess that pretty much confirms that.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=968969416514063&id=248881001856245

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#59Harvey Weinstein to Bring SINGIN' IN THE RAIN to Broadway!
Posted: 1/4/16 at 7:42pm

Ranger Tom said: "Saw the original tour with Cynthia Ferrer.  Loads of fun.

Tony Yazbeck, Mara Davi, Andrew Rannells, Annaleigh Ashford"

Although Derek is pretty much confirmed to be leading it now, Davi and Ashford would be brilliant choices. Although I'd love Ashford to do a musical where her character is a good singer next, it would be a treat to see what she'd do with 'What's Wrong With Me?'. And Davi...what an inspired choice. Yes please.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#60Harvey Weinstein to Bring SINGIN' IN THE RAIN to Broadway!
Posted: 1/4/16 at 7:49pm

Was Derek's role in the spring spectacular show a singing one? I wonder if he's a good singer or will he have to be trained extensively.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#61Harvey Weinstein to Bring SINGIN' IN THE RAIN to Broadway!
Posted: 1/4/16 at 7:57pm

He also played Ren in FOOTLOOSE so I wonder if there's anything floating around out there online. 

Sunny11
#62Harvey Weinstein to Bring SINGIN' IN THE RAIN to Broadway!
Posted: 1/4/16 at 8:00pm

I can't  stand still. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8NFsxjoGx1k

Yep he can sing. 

LaurenG3
CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#64Harvey Weinstein to Bring SINGIN' IN THE RAIN to Broadway!
Posted: 1/4/16 at 8:07pm

He has a decent voice already. The only training he may need would be for singing a more traditional Broadway sounding score vs the pop songs he mostly sings now.

Updated On: 1/4/16 at 08:07 PM

Ranger Tom
#65Harvey Weinstein to Bring SINGIN' IN THE RAIN to Broadway!
Posted: 1/4/16 at 9:34pm

CindersGolightly said: "Although I'd love Ashford to do a musical where her character is a good singer next, it would be a treat to see what she'd do with 'What's Wrong With Me?"

My desire would be to see Ashford do the much talked about Funny Girl revival.  Immensely talented.  I can dream, right?

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#66Harvey Weinstein to Bring SINGIN' IN THE RAIN to Broadway!
Posted: 1/4/16 at 9:36pm

Mine too, Ranger! I was actually the first person to talk about it on here, I believe. Ashford is my favorite actress and "Funny Girl" is my favorite musical. It's a match made in heaven for me!

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#67Harvey Weinstein to Bring SINGIN' IN THE RAIN to Broadway!
Posted: 1/4/16 at 10:18pm

NOOOOOOOOO.  I dislike Derek so much.  He's so smarmy.  And this is the role that made me fall in love with musical theatre as a child in the first place.

*stops whining*

#68Harvey Weinstein to Bring SINGIN' IN THE RAIN to Broadway!
Posted: 1/5/16 at 12:33pm

This video should give us an idea of Derek in the role. With a little improvement I think he will be amazing.

http://youtu.be/kcpbW8N15fY

skies Profile Photo
skies
#69Harvey Weinstein to Bring SINGIN' IN THE RAIN to Broadway!
Posted: 1/5/16 at 2:08pm

I have no great love of Derek Hough but he does have stage training and if his voice is passable I'll be good if he dances up a storm with some bad ass choreography.

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

WinstonSalem
#70Harvey Weinstein to Bring SINGIN' IN THE RAIN to Broadway!
Posted: 1/5/16 at 2:56pm

Thanks for the videos! I think he sounds much better in the SITR video than in Footloose, but that could just be attributable to video quality. His dancing is phenomenal, and he has some stage presence. It's still just really hard for me to get past the "smarm" factor (even in that SITR video). Maybe they can find a way to work that out of him in rehearsal? At any rate, his fans should enjoy it.

LaurenG3
#71Harvey Weinstein to Bring SINGIN' IN THE RAIN to Broadway!
Posted: 1/5/16 at 5:29pm

I also came across a live recording of him singing Falling Slowly from a few years ago. I don't really think we have to worry about his singing.

https://soundcloud.com/make-your-move-fans/derek-hough-bc-jean-singing

Regardless of how well he sings or acts the part, I just can't imagine him as Don Lockwood. I could possibly see him as Cosmo though.