pixeltracker

Raising The Palace Theatre 29 feet...- Page 3

Raising The Palace Theatre 29 feet...

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#50Raising The Palace Theatre 29 feet...
Posted: 7/23/17 at 10:01pm

I read they scrapped these plans. Is that true? I remember reading spongebob was a limited run and just assumed they were doing this after that. It still sounds like the Palace could use a refurb if not a lifting.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#51Raising The Palace Theatre 29 feet...
Posted: 7/23/17 at 10:10pm

Nothing has been discussed since June '16...I agree it needs a refurb after Sponge Bob if plans have been scrapped for the raising for commercial space

Raising The Palace Theatre 29 feet...

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#52Raising The Palace Theatre 29 feet...
Posted: 7/23/17 at 10:19pm

where did you read that? 

My understanding is that the regulatory aspect is taking a great deal longer than was (perhaps wishful thinkingly) anticipated. I have not seen anything saying that the plan has been abandoned.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#53Raising The Palace Theatre 29 feet...
Posted: 7/23/17 at 10:20pm

HogansHero said: "where did you read that? 

My understanding is that the regulatory aspect is taking a great deal longer than was (perhaps wishful thinkingly) anticipated. I have not seen anything saying that the plan has been abandoned.

"

Ask Jorge...Jorge?

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Dollypop
#54Raising The Palace Theatre 29 feet...
Posted: 7/23/17 at 11:33pm

A friend who worked at the Palace has been hearing all sorts of rumors and is convinced the project has been scrapped.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#55Raising The Palace Theatre 29 feet...
Posted: 7/24/17 at 12:03am

The Palace ought to be a historical theatre of the highest regard. When I was there for Sunset Boulevard, it looked as though if I stepped somewhere at the wrong angle, the entire building would collapse. I still can't believe Spongebob is headed into this space as it is currently.

chuckydisc
#56Raising The Palace Theatre 29 feet...
Posted: 7/24/17 at 4:21pm

Dollypop said: "A friend who worked at the Palace has been hearing all sorts of rumors and is convinced the project has been scrapped."

Another worker had told me that some tests to dismantle the theatre ceiling went horribly wrong/not-to-plan.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#57Raising The Palace Theatre 29 feet...
Posted: 7/24/17 at 4:43pm

historically, people who work at theatres have proven to be the least reliable sources of information. 

OrchardAndRivington Profile Photo
OrchardAndRivington
#58Raising The Palace Theatre 29 feet...
Posted: 7/24/17 at 5:12pm

No new news-

I seem to recall reading somewhere here on the interwebs that they didn't want to proceed with this plan while the Marriott EDITION hotel was under construction on the North-West corner of 47th and 7th (701 7th Ave, or 20 Times Square). Traffic and congestion in that area will be dreadful until that hotel project is completed (allegedly later this year), adding the Palace Project to that would make 7th Avenue basically not passable, and with Broadway closed through Times Square, that North to South route needs to stay accessible. Again, I don't have a source to back this information up, as it was months ago when I read it. 

I have mixed feelings on the Palace Rising. Part of me thinks that the engineers and designers they will bring in will do absolute top notch work and we will be getting a beautifully refurbished and patron friendly space. Part of me wants to see a full reno in its current footprint to protect against any risk that may be involved to the Landmark structures, Time will tell.

GhostXmasPast
#59Raising The Palace Theatre 29 feet...
Posted: 7/25/17 at 6:44am

To add context to this discussion - here is a good link which has good diagrams and photos of the intended project.

https://www.google.com/amp/newyorkyimby.com/2015/11/palace-theater-to-be-lifted-29-feet-for-expanded-facilities-and-retail.html/amp

I remain unconvinced that the economics of this plan are sound - it is interesting to see the pictures of the re-location of  The Empire on 42nd - however that was simply repositioning the shell of a theater to adorn a cinema multiplex - not historic preservation of - arguably - the crown jewel of Broadway theaters.

Updated On: 7/25/17 at 06:44 AM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#60Raising The Palace Theatre 29 feet...
Posted: 7/25/17 at 8:56am

re economics and setting aside everything else, the plan is sound, for one simple reason: $1900/sf or likely more.

GhostXmasPast
#61Raising The Palace Theatre 29 feet...
Posted: 7/25/17 at 3:04pm

Estimates hard cost of project:

$2 billion

plus opportunity costs of taking hotel and theTheatee off line for two years - or longer

net gain of rentable space 70,000 square feet on four levels - three below grade.

generously - 20,000 feet at $1900 - $38 million / year

50,000 at lesser rents as you go deeper - - generously - $50 million

Yields a rough cap rate of sub-five percent on hard costs - in a peak market and rising interest rates.

slow the economy a bit - which will be the ultimate result of a series of rate increases - allow for a few unforeseen contingencies...

Borderline ... 

OKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
#62Raising The Palace Theatre 29 feet...
Posted: 7/25/17 at 4:24pm

plus opportunity costs of taking hotel and theTheatee off line for two years - or longer

Would the hotel have to close?   It is a separate building.   

Architect Scott Duenow of PBDW Architects said that the theater, with its 1,700-plus seat capacity, is now encompassed by the 45-story DoubleTree hotel tower. He described it as a separate building, basically a box with an inch-gap

I understand construction noise and issues, but I have not seen in any of the articles discussion of closing the hotel for 2 years.    

GhostXmasPast
#63Raising The Palace Theatre 29 feet...
Posted: 7/25/17 at 4:41pm

The theater moves into space formerly occupied by double tree sky lobby / plans are to reconfigure double tree into 600 room luxury hotel.

OKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
#64Raising The Palace Theatre 29 feet...
Posted: 7/26/17 at 3:57pm

THanks--- There are several story links in this two year old thread.  I missed that information.   

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#65Raising The Palace Theatre 29 feet...
Posted: 1/12/18 at 5:42pm

Robbie2 said: "Nothing has been discussed since June '16...I agree it needs a refurb after Sponge Bob if plans have been scrapped for the raising for commercial space

Raising The Palace Theatre 29 feet..."Developers of Palace Theatre redevelopment seeking $1B in debt, equity. They plan to begin construction by late summer and complete the project by the end of 2021

https://therealdeal.com/2018/01/12/developers-of-palace-theatre-redevelopment-seeking-1b-in-debt-equity/

Call_me_jorge
#66Raising The Palace Theatre 29 feet...
Posted: 1/12/18 at 6:15pm

Huh. I wonder what this means for spongebob. I could see them closing and going out on tour.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#67Raising The Palace Theatre 29 feet...
Posted: 1/12/18 at 11:51pm

I would imagine this would have to be in their contract? Or something. Maybe they plan to move to another theater - if the show is still running, but I'd think after the Tonys it would close up and tour, etc.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#68Raising The Palace Theatre 29 feet...
Posted: 1/13/18 at 11:52am

When they say only operating theater overlooking Times Square I wonder if they are talking about windows overlooking Time Square? Doen't the Minskoff have windows on that side on the second level?

Just give the world Love.

AMWB Profile Photo
AMWB
#69Raising The Palace Theatre 29 feet...
Posted: 1/13/18 at 12:02pm

Deena Jones said: "I did read it,Tobias... I am just sad that Times Square has changed SO much."

Agreed.  And Patti LuPone now has a whole album about it. She even mentions the proposed palace renovations.  

*sigh*

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#70Raising The Palace Theatre 29 feet...
Posted: 1/13/18 at 6:56pm

I for one can't wait for this to start.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#71Raising The Palace Theatre 29 feet...
Posted: 1/13/18 at 7:31pm

don't hold your breath y'all.

Call_me_jorge
#72Raising The Palace Theatre 29 feet...
Posted: 9/5/18 at 8:43pm

If the lifting/renovations stay on schedule it should reopen for the 2021-2022 season. Lmao. That’s so far away. So happy to see this is finally happening.  https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/New-Details-Emerge-for-Palace-Theatre-Renovation-20180905

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#73Raising The Palace Theatre 29 feet...
Posted: 9/5/18 at 8:52pm

Curious how the 80 ft marquee will look and if they will leave any of the exterior exposed!

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#74Raising The Palace Theatre 29 feet...
Posted: 9/5/18 at 10:28pm

It makes me sad that this theatre will be dark for so long.