pixeltracker

The Honeymooners Musical:- Page 2

The Honeymooners Musical:

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#25The Honeymooners Musical:
Posted: 4/28/16 at 9:46pm

Was at the reading. It was fun and successful on many levels.   It would be a welcome addition to  Broadway if the critics don't slam it for being hopelessly old fashioned, light  and not exactly new.  The casting of Michael McGrath as Ralph Kramden and Leslie Kritzer as Alice was perfection. They suggested Gleason and Meadows but still made it their own.  They were delightful and genuinely made me smile. They totally worked it.   The music was quite good albeit old fashioned Broadway which I happen to love. The choreography by Josh Bergasse for the male chorus especially the bus drivers was stellar. There were full out production numbers at the reading.   If it comes to Broadway.. more of that please.  Unfortunately the casting of Hank Azaria and Laura Bell Bundy was serviceable but kept you yearning for Art Karney and Joyce Randolph.( I couldn't help thinking--that's not quite Trixie and Norton)  In some ways it did resemble the musical "The Honeymooners" on the Jackie Gleason hour but I found that aspect of it  a nostalgic treat. I loved those mini musicals on the Jackie Gleason show.  Great supporting turn by Michael Walters. Good old fashioned Broadway. The question is.... Can we handle old fashioned Broadway  anymore??

Updated On: 4/28/16 at 09:46 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#26The Honeymooners Musical:
Posted: 4/28/16 at 10:01pm

Said to say no we can't

Poster Emeritus

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#27The Honeymooners Musical:
Posted: 4/28/16 at 10:12pm

Happy to hear that McGrath was at the reading.  Was concerned when he announced leaving She Loves Me for personal reasons.  Very happy to be seeing him on Sunday but now wondering if his personal reasons have anything to do with a problem with someone connected to the show?

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

broadwayboy223
#28The Honeymooners Musical:
Posted: 4/28/16 at 10:17pm

Just curious how does one get invited or in to see readings/workshops. I'm moving to New York in the fall and I would love to see shows in development 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#29The Honeymooners Musical:
Posted: 4/29/16 at 12:09am

They're normally "closed" events. It's not a ticket situation. You have to know someone/get invited. 

And I'm sure McGrath isn't leaving for any dramatic reason. You can still do a workshop and live your life. A Broadway show is a commitment. 

Wilmingtom
#30The Honeymooners Musical:
Posted: 4/29/16 at 1:32am

To the poster who suggested that we can't "handle old fashioned Broadway anymore," I think the lie is given to that by The King and I, Fiddler, She Loves Me, Aladin, Lion King, Color Purple, Chicago, Phantom, and other "old fashioned" shows that seem to be doing just fine.

Frank Gannucci
#31The Honeymooners Musical:
Posted: 7/2/16 at 7:44pm

Does anyone know when this play will open, assuming it hasn't already?

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#32The Honeymooners Musical:
Posted: 7/2/16 at 7:47pm

Michael McGrath tweeted this last week:

https://twitter.com/mcgrathbway/status/746176437787332609

...so I don't know what that implies.

Frank Gannucci
#33The Honeymooners Musical:
Posted: 7/2/16 at 7:58pm

Thank you. I wonder if it will open in the fall.

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#34The Honeymooners Musical:
Posted: 7/2/16 at 8:06pm

Will Kritzer be available if they come in before her "Something Rotten!" contract is up? Assuming she signed a one year. 

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#35The Honeymooners Musical:
Posted: 7/3/16 at 9:27am

Not sure of material but just the idea of the McGrath/Azaria pairing is worth a ticket for me.

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

BroadwayBilly
#36The Honeymooners Musical:
Posted: 7/3/16 at 12:42pm

I have a friend in the Ensemble and got into the Lab in April.  The show is funny as hell and the lyrics quite clever.  McGrath and Azaria are a good team and Kritzer was amazing as always.  Geri Vichy almost stole the show as the cranky old man and Lewis Cleale was the bad guy from Madison Avenue.  It reminded me of "The Producers" and "How to Succeed" but with a lot of heart.  I was sobbing at the emotional ending as were several others around me.  My friend thinks they may come in in the spring.

Frank Gannucci
#37The Honeymooners Musical:
Posted: 7/3/16 at 3:07pm

So you are saying it is going to start up next year?

Frank Gannucci
#38The Honeymooners Musical:
Posted: 10/6/16 at 10:28pm

Well, are there any updates as far as this musical goes? I am anxious to know if it will start up next year.

Frank Gannucci
#39The Honeymooners Musical:
Posted: 1/2/17 at 7:20pm

Any updates for this musical?

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#40The Honeymooners Musical:
Posted: 1/2/17 at 9:54pm

This show, to me, is a classic example of how any production with a New York workshop/lab can be considered "Broadway-bond." Hell, the musicals I write are Broadway-bound...

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

Wicked Fanatic Profile Photo
Wicked Fanatic
#41The Honeymooners Musical:
Posted: 7/12/17 at 6:45pm

Bumping this since it's one of the Papermill Playhouse productions that begins on Sept. 28, 2017 running thru October 29, 2017.  No cast is listed at the website, but today I got this photo in my Facebook newsfeed of Michael Walters who is cast as Jackie Gleason with Megan Hilty at 42 Street Studios I believe in Ft. Lauderdale, FL which is where Michael Walters lives. 

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people sitting and indoor

Could she be returning to play the role she first workshopped Trixie which was played by Laura Bell Bundy previously or maybe she's going to be Alice? 

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#42The Honeymooners Musical:
Posted: 7/12/17 at 8:43pm

B-but Michael McGrath!!!! NOOOOO

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#43The Honeymooners Musical:
Posted: 7/12/17 at 11:16pm

^ Don't worry. Michael McGrath is playing the lead - Ralph Kramden (Who was played by Jackie Gleason)

Michael Walters is playing the actor Jackie Gleason.

BroadwayBilly
#44The Honeymooners Musical:
Posted: 7/12/17 at 11:25pm

I believe Leslie Kritzer plays Alice and Laura Bell Bundy was Trixie in the lab I saw. Very funny musical.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#45The Honeymooners Musical:
Posted: 7/12/17 at 11:44pm

Would Hilty really use this as her return to musical theater? seems odd. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#47The Honeymooners Musical:
Posted: 8/15/17 at 11:35am

Excellent cast! Excited to see Laura Bell Bundy back. I can't imagine this will do well if they bring it to Broadway, but I could see this playing VERY well regionally.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#48The Honeymooners Musical:
Posted: 8/15/17 at 11:39am

So happy Laura Bell Bundy is officially coming back to the stage!! 

Cfried
#49The Honeymooners Casting Announced
Posted: 8/15/17 at 1:33pm

This casting has me SO excited! I'll be there in mid-October. I wonder if they're aiming for a spring Bway transfer after the PMP run?