pixeltracker

West Side Story at Signature Theatre- Page 2

West Side Story at Signature Theatre

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#25West Side Story at Signature Theatre
Posted: 12/18/15 at 9:48am

This may be the most perfect singing of the song "Maria" ever:

You must not have seen Jeremy Jordan play Tony. 

Broadway Stud Profile Photo
Broadway Stud
#26West Side Story at Signature Theatre
Posted: 12/18/15 at 9:50am

I saw this last week and I still can't stop thinking about it.  It was one of the most exciting nights of musical theatre that I have ever experienced.  The 17-piece orchestra with the 30 person cast in a 300 seat theatre is mind-blowing--I had goose bumps for much of the evening.  All of the leads were absolutely amazing both vocally and in their interpretation of the roles.  The dancing is stunning--the choreographer took the base of Robbins work and adjusted it to work on the thrust stage.  The lighting was perfect and exciting--especially during the dance at the gym which was the best 10 minutes I have seen on stage in quite some time. I am pretty sure it will sell out once the reviews come out.   If you have an opportunity to see this, you should buy your tickets now. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#27West Side Story at Signature Theatre
Posted: 12/18/15 at 10:16am

Hamilton22 said: "Stop taking."

LOL coming from the most hated current poster/troll on this board. cryingcheekyyes

Theater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
#28West Side Story at Signature Theatre
Posted: 12/18/15 at 10:56am

GetUp&LiveIt said: "This looks unbelievable"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF2T69hVOB0

That video montage is great, it captures just the "right" moments from the show. Bernstein's "Mambo" is one of the most thrilling pieces of music written for the theater - - - EVER! It never fails to give me goosebumps!!! This particular production looks like a winner! What a handsome cast!

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#29West Side Story at Signature Theatre
Posted: 12/18/15 at 11:32am

Looks like a great production.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#30West Side Story at Signature Theatre
Posted: 12/18/15 at 3:35pm

For those asking where the reviews are, the official opening for donors/VIPs was earlier this week, but the press was invited to the performance last night and the one tonight.   I've heard it's great, but I am not going to see it until next week.  

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

TweetyPie2 Profile Photo
TweetyPie2
#31West Side Story at Signature Theatre
Posted: 12/18/15 at 3:53pm

KChenowethfan said: "For those asking where the reviews are, the official opening for donors/VIPs was earlier this week, but the press was invited to the performance last night and the one tonight.   I've heard it's great, but I am not going to see it until next week.

Thanks for info--maybe there will be a review in the Washington Post tomorrow.

What I want to know is, who is TweetyPie1?
Updated On: 12/18/15 at 03:53 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#32West Side Story at Signature Theatre
Posted: 12/18/15 at 5:44pm

Finally just saw that Austin Colby "Maria" video. Holy LORD. I am so beyond stoked to see this production next month.

freewilma
#33West Side Story at Signature Theatre
Posted: 12/18/15 at 11:51pm

If the media was there tonight, they had quite a treat.  What a truly lovely production.  The intimate setting with the thrust stage was incredibly effective.  The performances were spot-on and the dancing spectacular.  Really a special show.  Highly recommended.  

futuresuperstar9
#34West Side Story at Signature Theatre
Posted: 12/19/15 at 1:07am

I saw the production tonight and it was absolutely breathtaking. Everything was just perfect. This might very well go down as my favorite production of WSS ever. 

dwperkins Profile Photo
dwperkins
#35West Side Story at Signature Theatre
Posted: 12/19/15 at 1:12am

test

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#36West Side Story at Signature Theatre
Posted: 12/19/15 at 8:56am

Natascia Diaz was born on January 4, 1970 in Lugano, Switzerland.  You do the math.  So what if she's not in her 30's.  She was hired because she can do the role very well.   People like Natascia and others have a lot of singing and dancing to do. Very necessary.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)
Updated On: 12/19/15 at 08:56 AM

TweetyPie2 Profile Photo
TweetyPie2
#37West Side Story at Signature Theatre
Posted: 12/19/15 at 9:50am

OK, I bought a ticket. I also sent a tweet to Peter Marks asking when he's going to review it. Let's see if he answers.

Updated On: 12/19/15 at 09:50 AM

TweetyPie2 Profile Photo
TweetyPie2
#38West Side Story at Signature Theatre
Posted: 12/19/15 at 10:05am

Update: Marks did answer. He says the review will be online Monday.

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#40West Side Story at Signature Theatre
Posted: 12/19/15 at 12:41pm

The show just extended through 1/31.  Tickets are on sale on-line:

http://www.sigtheatre.org/

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

Broadway Stud Profile Photo
Broadway Stud
#43West Side Story at Signature Theatre
Posted: 12/23/15 at 10:15am

Peter Marks lists West Side Story as one of the top shows he saw in 2015.  Hamilton is number one and Dear Evan Hanson is number two. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/theater_dance/theater-2015-10-of-my-favorite-things/2015/12/22/ec5ebd50-a8e4-11e5-9b92-dea7cd4b1a4d_story.html?postshare=5401450880540632&tid=ss_fb

Updated On: 12/23/15 at 10:15 AM

GetUp&LiveIt
#44West Side Story at Signature Theatre
Posted: 12/23/15 at 12:30pm

"Yet Gardiner’s production overall is itself a standout: It engages you in a way that standard proscenium productions of West Side Story can’t. If this doesn’t become your favorite production of West Side Story, I would love to know where you saw it staged better."

http://www.metroweekly.com/2015/12/storied-musical-west-side-story-at-signature-review/

GetUp&LiveIt
#44West Side Story at Signature Theatre
Posted: 12/23/15 at 12:30pm

duplicate

Updated On: 12/23/15 at 12:30 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#45West Side Story at Signature Theatre
Posted: 1/16/16 at 9:25pm

Finally got to this today. Holy cow. This was one of the top theatrical experiences of my entire life. I was a weeping wreck for the overwhelming majority of the show, simply because it was so brilliantly staged. The 17-piece orchestra was BEYOND. Every moment of the show was remarkable, but particularly, Austin Colby's rendition of "Maria" had me weeping so much I had a puddle of tears in my lap. It was incredible. Natascia Diaz is a KILLER Anita, too. I doubt I'll ever get to see a production of West Side Story as masterfully and exquisitely done as this. 

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#46West Side Story at Signature Theatre
Posted: 1/17/16 at 10:13am

I really wish I could see it. 

TweetyPie2 Profile Photo
TweetyPie2
#47West Side Story at Signature Theatre
Posted: 1/17/16 at 2:52pm

I had to turn my ticket in. I would have been coughing through the whole show. I'm very disappointed. I would have been there right now.

eman02
#48West Side Story at Signature Theatre
Posted: 1/17/16 at 3:59pm

it looks to be all sold out. anyway anyone knows if it's possible to get a ticket otherwise? it sounds amazing.  unless it will transfer or continue around New York, I'd love to get a chance to see it.