pixeltracker

RENT 20th Anniversary Tour to Launch in Fall 2016

RENT 20th Anniversary Tour to Launch in Fall 2016

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#1RENT 20th Anniversary Tour to Launch in Fall 2016
Posted: 1/26/16 at 12:25pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/BWW-Exclusive-RENT-20th-Anniversary-Tour-Will-Launch-in-Fall-2016-20160126

Between HamiltonAladdin, the Pantages season, and now this, today has been a whirlwind day for touring news!

Updated On: 1/26/16 at 12:25 PM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#2RENT 20th Anniversary Tour to Launch in Fall 2016
Posted: 1/26/16 at 2:03pm

Oh God.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#3RENT 20th Anniversary Tour to Launch in Fall 2016
Posted: 1/26/16 at 2:07pm

Haven't we known about this tour for a while? This is just the "official" press release? 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#4RENT 20th Anniversary Tour to Launch in Fall 2016
Posted: 2/16/16 at 11:25am

Is there an official website or anything for this? I saw that it confirmed its dates in Baltimore, but I'm interested in seeing official info/other cities.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#5RENT 20th Anniversary Tour to Launch in Fall 2016
Posted: 2/16/16 at 11:47am

I'm wondering how much is up in the air now. 

https://twitter.com/ActorsEquity/status/693111510411796480

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#6RENT 20th Anniversary Tour to Launch in Fall 2016
Posted: 2/16/16 at 11:58am

They saw at least two people I know who are non-Equity. (I know for a fact that they are students without union cards.)

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#7RENT 20th Anniversary Tour to Launch in Fall 2016
Posted: 3/16/16 at 11:30am

Is this still non-Equity or what?

http://auditionupdate.com/index.php?s=2&p=256134

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#8RENT 20th Anniversary Tour to Launch in Fall 2016
Posted: 3/16/16 at 12:22pm

It is. Which means it'll be a mess.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#9RENT 20th Anniversary Tour to Launch in Fall 2016
Posted: 3/16/16 at 12:32pm

RppiedMan said: "It is. Which means it'll be a mess."

@RippedMan: Why do you think it will be a mess? 

Updated On: 3/16/16 at 12:32 PM

Jud Faginsky
#11RENT 20th Anniversary Tour to Launch in Fall 2016
Posted: 8/15/16 at 1:40pm

In the backstage picture of the original cast in the playbill article that BroadwayConcierge posted, who is the man on the far left of the picture? It sure looks like Neil Patrick Harris. 

Alexander Lamar
#12RENT 20th Anniversary Tour to Launch in Fall 2016
Posted: 8/15/16 at 1:49pm

It is Neil Patrick Harris.  He starred as Mark in the 2NT.

Jud Faginsky
#13RENT 20th Anniversary Tour to Launch in Fall 2016
Posted: 8/15/16 at 1:53pm

I guess I was confused about the caption. "Backstage pictures from the original Rent." I took that to mean original cast, as in the very first cast. Thanks. 

Alexander Lamar
#14RENT 20th Anniversary Tour to Launch in Fall 2016
Posted: 8/15/16 at 2:10pm

The photo does seem to be mostly (or all) OBC other than NPH.  Not sure if he was visiting backstage, if they were visiting the 2NT, if they were reprising their roles in the 2NT, or if the caption simply meant "original" production.

neonlightsxo
#15RENT 20th Anniversary Tour to Launch in Fall 2016
Posted: 8/15/16 at 2:21pm

Is this still a non Equity tour?

#16RENT 20th Anniversary Tour to Launch in Fall 2016
Posted: 8/15/16 at 2:36pm

Yes I believe it is.

Alexander Lamar
#17RENT 20th Anniversary Tour to Launch in Fall 2016
Posted: 8/15/16 at 3:02pm

Going by that cast list, it seems like it is non-eq.

Jud Faginsky
#18RENT 20th Anniversary Tour to Launch in Fall 2016
Posted: 8/15/16 at 3:13pm

The theatre near me where it is playing is definitely non equity. 

Mike Costa Profile Photo
Mike Costa
#19RENT 20th Anniversary Tour to Launch in Fall 2016
Posted: 8/15/16 at 4:09pm

This is a Non-Equity production.  Actors will be paid one third of what a union member would be paid and the union rules will not apply for their well being.  The producers will reap incredible profits since the ticket price in Dallas alone, at a venue which has always been union, is $130 for orchestra with a $210 top price.  Such a rip off for the public who will assume they are getting a Union show at that price.This tour will play many such major markets. LA -The Pantages, Ft Lauderdale-Broward Center, SF-Golden Gate, Seattle-Paramount, Boston-Shubert, New Haven-Shubert, St Louis-Fox, DC-The National ...all major markets.

Happy for the talented Non-Union cast, sorry they will not be paid as producers reel in the profits from a show that played all of those venues many times before as a Union production. Such amazing greed on the part of producers to pocket the money and not pay the actors while ripping off the public.

hork Profile Photo
hork
#20RENT 20th Anniversary Tour to Launch in Fall 2016
Posted: 8/15/16 at 4:49pm

The original non-Equity tour was exactly the same as the Broadway production and maybe even a little better (I thought the actresses playing Mimi and Maureen were better than the Broadway performers I later saw). There's no reason to think this tour won't be the same, or that the audience will be getting ripped off.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#21RENT 20th Anniversary Tour to Launch in Fall 2016
Posted: 8/15/16 at 5:07pm

hork said: "The original non-Equity tour was exactly the same as the Broadway production and maybe even a little better (I thought the actresses playing Mimi and Maureen were better than the Broadway performers I later saw). There's no reason to think this tour won't be the same, or that the audience will be getting ripped off.

"

I don't think the argument is the difference in quality(especially with rent, which can be an amazing show no matter what production type it is) Rather the argument is why do the producers need to have rent as a non-equity tour? They would be making millions with this production while the actors are getting no compensation. Just my thought.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#22RENT 20th Anniversary Tour to Launch in Fall 2016
Posted: 8/15/16 at 5:13pm

Call_me_jorge said: " I don't think the argument is the difference in quality(especially with rent, which can be an amazing show no matter what production type it is) "

Er.. I have seen a really really bad production of Rent. The kind I'm still struggling to overcome - I cannot stand Rent anymore.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Mike Costa Profile Photo
Mike Costa
#23RENT 20th Anniversary Tour to Launch in Fall 2016
Posted: 8/15/16 at 5:20pm

Right Jorge, I clearly said the cast would be talented.

The question, Hork, is of paying the cast a fair salary while the producers charge the public full price for tickets as if they were seeing one of the other huge union shows at these major venues. 

Rent is a gold mine to produce.  There is no cost in sets or traveling around the two tables they dance on in the second act. The entire orchestra is six musicians and the conductor has to play the piano. It has cheap written into it as opposed to Wicked, Aladdin,Phantom and Les Miz.

No need to get even cheaper by not paying the actors.

hork Profile Photo
hork
#24RENT 20th Anniversary Tour to Launch in Fall 2016
Posted: 8/15/16 at 5:27pm

Okay, but how is that a ripoff for the public? You said, "Such a rip off for the public who will assume they are getting a Union show at that price," which to me implies that they'll be getting an inferior product.

Mike Costa Profile Photo
Mike Costa
#25RENT 20th Anniversary Tour to Launch in Fall 2016
Posted: 8/15/16 at 7:39pm

Hork, a non-union production of Rent, which is inexpensive to produce, is not worth the same ticket price as a Union production of Wicked, Aladdin,Phantom or Les Miz at the same venue.  Yes, the public is getting ripped off.

Updated On: 8/15/16 at 07:39 PM