pixeltracker

Original Cast of THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA Will Reunite for Lincoln Center Concert- Page 3

Original Cast of THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA Will Reunite for Lincoln Center Concert

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#50Original Cast of THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA Will Reunite for Lincoln Center Concert
Posted: 4/4/16 at 11:48pm

Exquisite. Composed of just a few ingredients of the highest quality. A poignant story of two kinds of love in conflict, supported by a rich score performed by a full orchestra and presented by a small and stellar cast. You could not find two better singing actresses at this time than Victoria Clark and Kelli O'Hara.

rogerad
#51Original Cast of THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA Will Reunite for Lincoln Center Concert
Posted: 4/4/16 at 11:53pm

Tonight was one of the most sublime evenings in my theatre experience.  I saw the original production - but tonight was so emotional.  The applause after Kelli sang "The Light in the Piazza" was so prolonged.  Everybody was in tears.  Stunning evening.

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#52Original Cast of THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA Will Reunite for Lincoln Center Concert
Posted: 4/5/16 at 12:08am

God, tonight was ravishing.  This still remains one of my favorite scores of the past thirty years.  Everything tonight was just perfect, from the extended applause after the title number -- Kelli eventually had to stand a bit and give a little bow to get everyone the quiet -- to things like the spontaneous applause after Sarah Uriarte Berry hits that ridiculous note in the middle of Aiutami.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#53Original Cast of THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA Will Reunite for Lincoln Center Concert
Posted: 4/5/16 at 1:01am

Sarah Uriarte Berry was on fire tonight. She looked incredible. Very sexy and talented woman.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#54Original Cast of THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA Will Reunite for Lincoln Center Concert
Posted: 4/5/16 at 4:29am

I am so disappointed that I could not be there for this.  Did anyone see cameras filming?  

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#55Original Cast of THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA Will Reunite for Lincoln Center Concert
Posted: 4/5/16 at 9:21am

Nights like last evening remind me why I love the theater. It was incredible. How fitting that the first spoken words are "what happened here?" To see this flawless cast reassembled in their old home was one of the highlights of this theatergoing season. "Fable" and "The Light in the Piazza" stopped the show cold. Stunning doesn't even begin to describe it. What an honor to see Victoria Clark reprise her mammoth performance as Margaret Johnson, 99% off book, entirely in character, and in perfect voice. Her performance in the original production is one of my favorites I have ever seen and tonight reminded me why. And Kelli managed to show how much she's grown as a performer since ten years ago - her acting was better than it ever was in 2006. She was simply phenomenal. 

What a night. 

Stew123
DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#57Original Cast of THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA Will Reunite for Lincoln Center Concert
Posted: 4/5/16 at 10:04am

I am so happy to read the recaps from everyone who attended last night.  This brought back fond memories of one of my favorite productions.  I remember seeing it the first time, and being absolutely speechless because I was so choked up.  I knew when I walked into the Vivian Beaumont nearly 10 years ago that first time and saw the spectacular set, that this was going to be a special experience.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

ghostlight2
#58Original Cast of THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA Will Reunite for Lincoln Center Concert
Posted: 4/5/16 at 10:16am

"Everything tonight was just perfect, from the extended applause after the title number -- Kelli eventually had to stand a bit and give a little bow to get everyone [to] quiet "

Didn't work, though - it only inflamed it. The applause went on for another 30 seconds or so.

"Sarah Uriarte Berry was on fire tonight. She looked incredible. Very sexy and talented woman."

You aren't kidding. She was letter perfect.

"How did Matthew hold up?"

He was in very fine form. There wasn't a clunker in the cast. They were individually and collectively brilliant. Michael Berresse, who plays Morrison's older brother, hit all the comic notes and recreated his short but sweet "American Dance".

It was very clear that the cast was connected and firing on all levels.

"I am so disappointed that I could not be there for this.  Did anyone see cameras filming?"

Sorry to say I am almost certain that nothing other than stills were taken. A beautiful bit of theatrical ephemera.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#59Original Cast of THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA Will Reunite for Lincoln Center Concert
Posted: 4/5/16 at 10:20am

I'm just going to go ahead and echo what everyone has communicated in this thread. Last night's concert was everything anyone who loves this musical could ever hope it could be. To see this cast reassembled once again to bring to life this marvelous show and score where it all began was something to behold. I did everything in my power to hold back the tears and then - - - Kelli O'Hara began to sing "Light in the Piazza" and I. LOST. IT.

A perfect example of why I love musical theater in the first place. 

It was the perfect belated birthday gift to me. 

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#60Original Cast of THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA Will Reunite for Lincoln Center Concert
Posted: 4/5/16 at 10:24am

Stew123 said: "How did Matthew hold up?"

Exceptionally well, like everyone else. He was also completely off book without a single flub.

Last night was absolutely perfect. When Kelli O'Hara came out in that turquoise/aqua dress, looking and sounding as if not a day had passed since opening night in 2005, I knew it would be. So many moments to remember and treasure:

- Sarah Uriarte Berry (who looked Traffic-Stoppingly STUNNING) getting entrance applause in Statues and Stories

- Seeing Michael Berresse dance again in "American Dancing"

- Kelli O'Hara literally stopping the show with "Light in the Piazza." Literally. The audience wouldn't let the night continue until O'Hara took a bow.

- Seeing an impassioned Matthew Morrison attack "Il Mondo Era Vuoto" with the kind of fervor that I hadn't seen in him for years.

-And, finally, to see Victoria Clark owning the Beaumont stage again.

I don't know how they all managed to do it, with over a decade since some of them had last performed the show and only a few days rehearsal, but everyone was even BETTER than they were in 2005. It was truly a stunning, stunning, stunning evening.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#62Original Cast of THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA Will Reunite for Lincoln Center Concert
Posted: 4/5/16 at 10:39am

So upset I couldn't see this.

Did they perform the entire Overture? 

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#63Original Cast of THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA Will Reunite for Lincoln Center Concert
Posted: 4/5/16 at 10:46am

Happy birthday, Carlos!

It was a magical evening. Everyone was so incredibly happy to be there. Many tears were shed.

lida rose Profile Photo
lida rose
#64Original Cast of THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA Will Reunite for Lincoln Center Concert
Posted: 4/5/16 at 10:55am

I don't know if I've ever cried more at any performance than I did last night. everyone around me was a wreck too. you could tell how moved the cast was to be together again performing that material. beautiful, magical, overwhelming. I feel very very lucky to have been there.

on another note, I wonder if Matthew Morrison experienced any PTSD from returning to a time when his whole career was still ahead of him and the indignities of Glee were just a twinkle in Ryan Murphy's eye.

CarlosAlberto
#65Original Cast of THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA Will Reunite for Lincoln Center Concert
Posted: 4/5/16 at 11:05am

PalJoey said: "Happy birthday, Carlos!

It was a magical evening. Everyone was so incredibly happy to be there. Many tears were shed.

Thank you PalJoey for the birthday wishes!

I'm glad you enjoyed it as well. I wish I would have known you were going, I would have loved to have seen you again! 

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#66Original Cast of THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA Will Reunite for Lincoln Center Concert
Posted: 4/5/16 at 11:12am

I can't stop thinking about it.

I never thought I'd see the original cast perform that heavenly music again - and to be able to experience it one more time, and find it even more perfect than my memories - made it one of the greatest theatrical experiences I've ever enjoyed.  

I treasure this show, and I'm overwhelmed at what last night was for me.  Memories and celebration.  Perfection.

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#67Original Cast of THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA Will Reunite for Lincoln Center Concert
Posted: 4/5/16 at 11:13am

I held Glebby in my heart the entire night. . .   

CarlosAlberto
#68Original Cast of THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA Will Reunite for Lincoln Center Concert
Posted: 4/5/16 at 11:14am

Aww, glad you enjoyed it as well Addy..but then again I knew you would! 

It was sublime, wasn't it?

It was MUSICAL THEATER HEAVEN!

Updated On: 4/5/16 at 11:14 AM

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#69Original Cast of THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA Will Reunite for Lincoln Center Concert
Posted: 4/5/16 at 11:15am

I wish there had been a "BWW" place to gather and toast to this magnificent show!

It was sublime.  It absolutely was MUSICAL THEATER HEAVEN!

CarlosAlberto
#70Original Cast of THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA Will Reunite for Lincoln Center Concert
Posted: 4/5/16 at 11:16am

That was sweet Addy. Glebb...what a sweetheart he was. One of the nicest people I've ever met on this board. He is truly missed. 

xoxo Glebb

broadwayboy223
#71Original Cast of THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA Will Reunite for Lincoln Center Concert
Posted: 4/5/16 at 11:24am

I'm also curious if this was recorded by anyone. I'd love to hear it. I wish I could have been there in person. Piazza is one of my favorite shows 

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#72Original Cast of THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA Will Reunite for Lincoln Center Concert
Posted: 4/5/16 at 11:25am

Addy, I thought of Glebb as well prior to your post. I met him at the final performance as he was with you.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#73Original Cast of THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA Will Reunite for Lincoln Center Concert
Posted: 4/5/16 at 11:33am

Dottie, I remember.  I cherish that memory!  XOXOX

And, Carlos, I agree -- one of the nicest people ever.  

I don't know if it was recorded.  I doubt it.  But, oh how I would love a recording of it!

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#74Original Cast of THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA Will Reunite for Lincoln Center Concert
Posted: 4/5/16 at 11:38am

A beautiful piece of theater that also holds many personal memories for me.

And that score! Ravishing.

....but the world goes 'round

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#75Original Cast of THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA Will Reunite for Lincoln Center Concert
Posted: 4/5/16 at 11:50am

Thank you for the wonderful recount of last night.  I wish I could have been there.

Glebb will be forever in our hearts...I miss him too.